• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

patsu

Fersis said:
Hello
Im thinking on getting Valkyria Chronicles, since PS3 games cost 80 bucks here i would like to know :
Is a long game?
How is the re playability value?
Thanks

Yes, it's a long and very replayable games. Took me 35 hours for first run (including retries).

Get it if you like strategy game.

ezekial45

Banned
It just occurred to me that you can't replay through past missions. So if you want to lvl your character then you have to replay through skirmish maps?

CSSer

ezekial45 said:
It just occurred to me that you can't replay through past missions. So if you want to lvl your character then you have to replay through skirmish maps?

Yep. You can only replay them again on a clear game save.

Dreavus

Sweet! Got this Christmas morning... I was afraid my parents wouldn't be able to find it (they grabbed the last copy at my local EB... and it was in the hold basket.) :lol

The demo was awesome; can't wait to get into the full game!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
revisited this after a couple months break, feel more at home with it now and it really brought home how awesome this game is, now I have the basics kind of drilled into me, I can appreciate the subtleties and bonus features that much more.

Easily RPG of the generation. Probably strategy game too. One of the best games hands down this gen.

Torquill

Just cleared Mission 7.

Jesus christ that was intense. Took me like 3-4 tries to pull that off. When Selvaria showed up I almost said fuck it lol. Luckily my guys were positioned rather luckily and the reinforcements were pretty easy to take out. She only killed one guy on her route to the tank. Of course, she killed several others whenever I forgot she was there and unleashed mad interception attacks XD.

zoku88

ezekial45 said:
That is true, but you shouldn't really need to grind in this game.

I got this game for xmas and god damn do I suck at it. I'm stuck on chapter two
Where you have to defend the town gate from the tank. Once Welkin arrived I thought everything was going to be fine. I move my tank behind the enemies and line up and armor piercing shell at the tanks weak point. I fire and the shell misses hitting the town gate. All I could do is laugh. The enemy tank fires at the gate the next turn destroying it. There is probably something probably something I'm missing that will slow down the enemy so the gate is in better condition when Welkin arrives but I can't figure it out for the life of me.
I feel like an idiot for being stuck so early in the game.

Hellsing321 said:
I got this game for xmas and god damn do I suck at it. I'm stuck on chapter two
Where you have to defend the town gate from the tank. Once Welkin arrived I thought everything was going to be fine. I move my tank behind the enemies and line up and armor piercing shell at the tanks weak point. I fire and the shell misses hitting the town gate. All I could do is laugh. The enemy tank fires at the gate the next turn destroying it. There is probably something probably something I'm missing that will slow down the enemy so the gate is in better condition when Welkin arrives but I can't figure it out for the life of me.
I feel like an idiot for being stuck so early in the game.

If front of the gate there are two sets of sandbags in rows, your squad is behind one. Use grenades to take out the sandbags limiting the enemy cover. Line up your squad to they face that way if they are not already. They should work together and deal a good bit of damage to anyone who attempts to hit the gate. Remember to heal with Ragnaid if you get low on health. Once you have the tank ignore any troops near it, go right for the enemy tank and get very close, hit it in the weak spot and it should be all over.

SonComet

Just started this game. I've never played a strategy game in my life so I'm pretty awful. But I can see this being a truly great game. This game has put a replay of FF7 and my first time through Fall Out 3 on hold. It's giving me that fresh feeling that Nights and ICO did when I first played them. That might just be me though since like I said, I've never touched a strategy RPG in my life.

Baha said:
Your troops don't have a reload ability with the exception of Potentials like 'extra shot' that some get which gives them extra ammo. You'll generally be using an Engineer for refilling your troops ammo which they do simply by running near them (you'll see an ammo icon when they do this). Since Engineers can repair tanks, removes mines & repair structures, you'll have to deploy them strategically so that they not only refill ammo for their comrades but repair a tank or remove mines on the same turn. There are a few weapons that don't require ammo (rifles, submachine guns, flamethrowers) and others that do (sniper rifles, rocket launchers).
Just to be 100% clear... that means one shot per command point right? So basically if I have a sniper I can move them into position, fire and then I can't fire again no matter how many action points I have?

(I know it's a stupid question, but I'd like to be sure!)

Psychotext said:
Just to be 100% clear... that means one shot per command point right? So basically if I have a sniper I can move them into position, fire and then I can't fire again no matter how many action points I have?

That's correct. 1 shot per CP. If you want to shot again you need to end the turn, and then reselect the sniper using another CP.

Just to clarify as well. Any limited ammo weapon, like lances, sniper rifles & grenades, will have 1 shot automatically replenished at the start of every phase, unless they are already at maximum capacity.

Dragnet

I want GAFs opinion!

I'm a sucker for a unique art style in a game.
I loved Full Spectrum Warrior and tactical games of that kind.
I like western RPGs like Oblivion and Fallout.

So would I like Valkyria Chronicles? Help me GAF!

Hobbun

Anyone have any suggestions on Chapter 17?
I am trying to take the camp on the south side of the main road with the Shamrock and it keeps getting blown up on the enemies phase. I am using the Edelweiss to work on the camp on the north side of the road. Maybe I just need to rearrange the Shamrock's upgrades and put more HP into it.
Any other ideas?

Durante

Dragnet said:
So would I like Valkyria Chronicles? Help me GAF!
If I had to guess I'd say yes, but why not just try the demo? But remember that in the full game you have far more varied tactics at your disposal and objectives to complete.

dkeane

Got this for Christmas, going to start tonight and hopefully all weekend. Liked the demo.

So any tips for someone who is pretty clueless when it comes to strategy games?

Hobbun

Psychotext said:

There is only one way to get an extra attack in using 1 CP and that is one potential that only one character has and she isn't a sniper. Best potential in the game (IMO).

Hobbun said:
Anyone have any suggestions on Chapter 17?
I am trying to take the camp on the south side of the main road with the Shamrock and it keeps getting blown up on the enemies phase. I am using the Edelweiss to work on the camp on the north side of the road. Maybe I just need to rearrange the Shamrock's upgrades and put more HP into it.
Any other ideas?

never used either tank til the very end - sent one shocktrooper/lancer team north, & another south, & put a sniper on the roof...

gokieks

Hobbun said:
There is only one way to get an extra attack in using 1 CP and that is one potential that only one character has and she isn't a sniper. Best potential in the game (IMO).

Not true. Several Engineers (Knute, Dallas, Nadine) have the Double Action class potential, in addition to Lynn with her Hard Worker character potential.

Baha

dkeane said:
Got this for Christmas, going to start tonight and hopefully all weekend. Liked the demo.

So any tips for someone who is pretty clueless when it comes to strategy games?

I think you'll do fine for the most part, but here are some tips:
- If an enemy is crouching, don't go for a headshot since their defence will be increased and it'll take too many shots to kill them, use a grenade to kill them or knock them out of their crouch position into a standing one.
- Lancers & snipers can't use interception fire so you'll be safe if you run past them on your turn, the other classes will fire on you if they see you when you run past them.
- Pay close attention to those lines that appear when you're in action mode. Blue means you can see them and they haven't seen you so you're relatively safe. Yellow means they can see you and can fire on you if you come within your range. The lines point to enemy positions nearby too.
- Whenever you end a turn for an individual unit, make sure they're facing a direction where they can fire on advancing enemies. That is to say, avoid leaving them with their backs turned and if possible leave them crouched behind cover. Don't send your snipers or lancers ahead alone since they can't defend themselves from rushing enemies.
- Your tank can't run over enemies but it can knock over enemies which is useful for those crouching enemies I mentioned before. Your tank is also great cover for your team from enemy fire and if used properly (i.e. close to any enemy class but lancers) , it can work as a turret since it uses it's machine gun as interception fire. Also, it's mortar is effective against groups of enemies huddled together.

Hope these help, don't forget to come back here when/if you have any more questions.

gokieks said:
Not true. Several Engineers (Knute, Dallas, Nadine) have the Double Action class potential, in addition to Lynn with her Hard Worker character potential.

I've seen some scouts with that potential as well but you don't earn it till later on. Some shocktroopers have something similar, "double shot" or something that lets them fire twice at their target.

gokieks

Baha said:
I've seen some scouts with that potential as well but you don't earn it till later on. Some shocktroopers have something similar, "double shot" or something that lets them fire twice at their target.

No, Scouts get the Double Movement potential, which gives them a full AP bar when it runs out. A few Shocktroopers get Double Attack, which automatically fires a second clip of 30 rounds after the first clip - not very useful in most cases (only truly useful against crouched enemies). Lynn's Hard Worker on the other hand is the same as Double Action, where you can move again and use the second action for anything (Ragnite, grenade, etc).

kaizoku

quick question about upgrading stuff.

I've avoided some of the upgrade steps as I felt they didn't offer much of an improvement for quite a high cost. Do the next levels of upgrades open up after awhile or do I have to unlock them before the next one opens?

Bit daft if I have to unlock one before the next one opens. That means I could theoretically leave it too late to unlock a step and then not have enough missions left to unlock later steps. How is the progression here handled anyway?

also how many ellet reports/missions are there??

gokieks

kaizoku said:
quick question about upgrading stuff.

I've avoided some of the upgrade steps as I felt they didn't offer much of an improvement for quite a high cost. Do the next levels of upgrades open up after awhile or do I have to unlock them before the next one opens?

Bit daft if I have to unlock one before the next one opens. That means I could theoretically leave it too late to unlock a step and then not have enough missions left to unlock later steps. How is the progression here handled anyway?

also how many ellet reports/missions are there??

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure you have to get each level of upgrade before gaining access to the next - the higher level upgrades will be available when they're unlocked as part of story progression, but you won't be able to purchase the upgrade unless you buy the previous ones first.

And there are 5 Ellet Reports which have associated missions, and another 2 (3?) that are just story. The final one is unlocked in New Game+ mode.

buffi

Banned
gokieks said:
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure you have to get each level of upgrade before gaining access to the next

Not true. It's possible to ignore all branches except for the good ones.

gokieks

buffi said:
Not true. It's possible to ignore all branches except for the good ones.

I was talking about within each branch, where one leads to the next. For example, I didn't think you could skip Accuracy Boost 1 through 9, and only buy the Accuracy Boost 10 upgrade.

kaizoku

gokieks said:
I was talking about within each branch, where one leads to the next. For example, I didn't think you could skip Accuracy Boost 1 through 9, and only buy the Accuracy Boost 10 upgrade.

just to confirm that this is the case.

when I unlocked one I'd ignored for awhile, it immediately opened up the next step in that tree - so they were held back until I'd upgraded.

ElyrionX

So I just tried the demo and I got to admit that the game is really fun and very unique. I'm most probably going to pick this up next time I'm in the store but before that, can anyone elaborate on the leveling aspects of the game? How does the leveling system work? Class-based? Can characters change class? Are there actually items/equipment in this game? Are weapons upgradeable?

ElyrionX said:
So I just tried the demo and I got to admit that the game is really fun and very unique. I'm most probably going to pick this up next time I'm in the store but before that, can anyone elaborate on the leveling aspects of the game? How does the leveling system work? Class-based? Can characters change class? Are there actually items/equipment in this game? Are weapons upgradeable?

How does the leveling system work? The XP you gain from completing missions and skirmishes is based on the rank you receive when you beat the mission, as well as how many enemy commanders/aces/tanks you destroy. The XP you earn is then pooled together and can be spent at the training ground, leveling up the specific classes.
Class-based? Yes. When a class is upgraded, everyone of that class gets another level.
Can characters change class? No.
Are there actually items/equipment in this game? Yes, they are bought and upgraded through the store. You can get Royal Weapons as well, which are granted for accomplishing specific tasks.
Are weapons upgradeable? Yes, but not how you normally might think. The upgrades are bought.

Damn this game is kicking my ass! I love it though. Battles are so long and draining, it really feels like I am genuinely at war.

On the desert level at the moment, and getting my ass kicked..

FINALLY I beat mission 7!

I got the game, got to mission 6 then beat Mirrors Edge. When I came back I got to Mission 7 and so far it is the first one to really kick my ass. It taught me A LOT about the gameplay though. Orders and Sight Lines are more important than I thought. Also multiple saves doesn't hurt either.

So yeah, I'm quite happy. The story is picking up more too now. :D

The battle really got hard when Selvaria showed up, if she sees you, your dead unless you get to cover in less than 2 sec. Unless you are the tank that is. It looks pretty cool to see her firing at you while you move your people around though.
Also the full cutscenes(not in-engine ones) in this game are absolutely beautiful (not that in-game isn't amazing looking either, just more so).

ElyrionX

rotaryspirit said:
How does the leveling system work? The XP you gain from completing missions and skirmishes is based on the rank you receive when you beat the mission, as well as how many enemy commanders/aces/tanks you destroy. The XP you earn is then pooled together and can be spent at the training ground, leveling up the specific classes.
Class-based? Yes. When a class is upgraded, everyone of that class gets another level.
Can characters change class? No.
Are there actually items/equipment in this game? Yes, they are bought and upgraded through the store. You can get Royal Weapons as well, which are granted for accomplishing specific tasks.
Are weapons upgradeable? Yes, but not how you normally might think. The upgrades are bought.

Thanks for the reply.

Also, the game is awesome and all that but what are some of its flaws? I read about the long cutscenes in the 1up review but what else is there should I know? Does the game force you to grind? Is grinding rewarding? Are there random battles?

Durante

ElyrionX said:
Also, the game is awesome and all that but what are some of its flaws?
It didn't sell well enough... ... no trophies?

ElyrionX said:
Does the game force you to grind? Is grinding rewarding? Are there random battles?
No, it doesn't force you to grind at all. Grinding is only rewarding if you can use the cash/xp for something useful/fun, and there is a limited number of things that can be bought/learned. It's still an SRPG, so no random battles.

Surreal

SecretBonusPoint said:
Damn this game is kicking my ass! I love it though. Battles are so long and draining, it really feels like I am genuinely at war.

On the desert level at the moment, and getting my ass kicked..

There's a trick to that level, play around with it
when it becomes available to you as a skirmish
. You can finish it in 2 turns with 3 people (possibly 2 people, haven't tried).
It's a great way to grind your levels up.
:D

MvmntInGrn said:
The battle really got hard when Selvaria showed up, if she sees you, your dead unless you get to cover in less than 2 sec. Unless you are the tank that is. It looks pretty cool to see her firing at you while you move your people around though.
Also the full cutscenes(not in-engine ones) in this game are absolutely beautiful (not that in-game isn't amazing looking either, just more so).

I loved just parking the tank right in front of her so when she'd try to shoot my guys she'd just hit the tank and everyone could move around pretty freely.

masterkajo

I just finished chapter 12...

... *sniff* I am glad I liberated Bruhl but it all felt so unreal after chapter 11. <-- I was totally in shock when it happend and I could hardly believe it... always saying to myself through the whole scene: She'll make it! She'll make it! But this is war... *salutes*

Again some small questions:

1) How far can I level up my individual classes?
I just got elite status with all of them

2) When do important characters (like Welkin or Alicia) get new potentials? Could it be story driven?

3) I just learned a new order:
Awaken Potential. How exactly does it work? I heard it is one of the best. But everytime I use it I see the small "SP" symbol next to my character but no flashy lines like "Ain't no stopping me" or "Don't even think about dodging". Does it just increase the chance of a potential kicking in or are all potentials activated immediately? Or just one?

4) Also, I got a medal:
Creamson Heart. I don't get it exactly why I got it based on the description. It has something to do with a wounded soldier in combat...??

Thanks anyway!

kaizoku

masterkajo said:
Again some small questions:

1) How far can I level up my individual classes?
I just got elite status with all of them

2) When do important characters (like Welkin or Alicia) get new potentials? Could it be story driven?

3) I just learned a new order:
Awaken Potential. How exactly does it work? I heard it is one of the best. But everytime I use it I see the small "SP" symbol next to my character but no flashy lines like "Ain't no stopping me" or "Don't even think about dodging". Does it just increase the chance of a potential kicking in or are all potentials activated immediately? Or just one?

4) Also, I got a medal:
Creamson Heart. I don't get it exactly why I got it based on the description. It has something to do with a wounded soldier in combat...??

Thanks anyway!

yep chapter 11 was like :eek:

1) Level 20 is the max, no more classes though, elite is it. but you can unlock other stuff like cool things like Marina's potential which makes the reticule like a dot at level 16.

2) leaders get new potentials via Ellet's reports which you have to purchase via HQ. They come after you beat certain chapters, you should unlock a few by the time you're done with ch14. one report can only be unlocked halfway through new game+

3) don't know about this one, barely used orders so far.

4) this is when one of your soldiers gets HP to zero, you get the medal even if you rescue them.

this game is really fun when you unlock more abilities and then you try to maximise your troop deployment and each CP to get you an A ranking, you really feel like a badass when you're grenading then headshotting and all sorts. Some of the A rankings are pretty tough to get, but I've surprised myself by bagging quite a few since chapter 10. I spend ages on each map though, sometimes doing things over and over again until I'm happy with the efficiency. This game is a killer for OCD gamers like me.

masterkajo

Thanks for the answers! I feel you man... I also plan each turn and sometimes restart a map just because I am not happy the way my strategy worked out. But I still enjoy the game like no other.

I finished every skirmish with an A so far and thus have enough money to buy all of Elle's reports... unfortunatley, she is not writting as much as I'd like (havn't got a report since a couple chapters ago).

Hobbun

masterkajo said:
Thanks for the answers! I feel you man... I also plan each turn and sometimes restart a map just because I am not happy the way my strategy worked out. But I still enjoy the game like no other.

I finished every skirmish with an A so far and thus have enough money to buy all of Elle's reports... unfortunatley, she is not writting as much as I'd like (havn't got a report since a couple chapters ago).

When you get the reports is preset. You will get some towards the beginning and maybe 1 or 2 in the middle chapters and then I believe 3 of them unlock at once.

I was the same way in thinking, where are the reports? And then a bunch of them unlocked.

Hope you have fun!

Baha

ElyrionX said:
Thanks for the reply.

Also, the game is awesome and all that but what are some of its flaws? I read about the long cutscenes in the 1up review but what else is there should I know? Does the game force you to grind? Is grinding rewarding? Are there random battles?

Ok the only flaws I can think after my playthrough is that the camera can sometimes be tricky, if you're attempting to aim over behind a corner of a building, you have to position your character carefully so that when they aim, they can see what's around the corner. Also I've encountered some rare instances where if I go into aim mode, my character obstructs my view for some reason so I can't see the enemy. This problem, however, is immediately rectified by the system they have in place. You see, when you're in aiming mode and are aiming at an enemy, a box appears in your hud telling you how many shots to kill for torso or head if you're aiming there. And since I've only had that problem appear when I was aiming at an enemy in front of me, it was easy to find my target and then aim for their head even based on that info (ironically enough, this is also very helpful for finding enemies behind walls that you can't see).

I guess you could argue that the system they have in place for jumping over sandbags (push in the direction to jump over) can be finicky since it can sometimes take a while to jump over.

That's all I can think of and despite how they may sound, this are minor complaints. If you liked the demo, you'll definitely love the game.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
How hard does this game get? I like the demo, its kind of Advance Wars but with more intractivity, but I'm not very good at strategy games. Will I be waving the white flag by like the 3rd mission?

Facism

McBacon said:
How hard does this game get? I like the demo, its kind of Advance Wars but with more intractivity, but I'm not very good at strategy games. Will I be waving the white flag by like the 3rd mission?

you'll be fine till mission 7 :lol

comedian

the difficiulty curve sundenly goes to wtf in chapter 7, but if you're really strugling a quick look at a guide and even those who suck at video games will win :>

gokieks

The game can be quite difficult at times, but usually it's only because you're not given nearly enough information about your enemies to make perfect decisions (hey, just like real life battles!). But the AI is really pretty limited, so once you've experienced what enemies may do on a given turn, you can usually count on them doing that same thing at the same time in the battle, which means if you reload the game (and you can save at any time, after all), you have quite an advantage and can thus plan out your actions much better.

A ranks also require a bit of luck at times, so the Command Mode save/load is basically required.

Facism

McBacon said:
Hmm, thats a little disconcerting :(

But I really like the demo!

you'll be alright. Basically the game stops holding your hand in regards to easy scenerios and you actually have to use your soldiers intelligently.

When in doubt, a faq can help you out. I lost Edy in mission 7, and won with 3 lancers and the EdelWeiss left on the battlefield. It was a win of Epic proportions.

El-Suave

I didn't find the game very difficult at all - the main difficulty, especially in chapters like 7 comes from the fact that you often don't really realize on the first try what units to position where.
Usually I fared best with my usual mix of units of a few scouts, two shocktroopers, two lancers maximum and/or a maximum of two snipers although one usually is enough if you need them at all (I like them). When I ran into trouble I usually added another lancer if needed or substituted most of the scouts for shocktroopers which worked miracles in one later level.

ElyrionX said:
Random cutscenes about baking. :lol

I'd classify all the flaws in VC as very minor and not ultimately harmful to the game. Random battles = won't factor in (you'll see). Grinding = not too necessary. Difficulty jumps up abruptly, which requires some creativity OR grinding OR tenacity OR luckiness to get past, but that's not a bad thing.

Top Bottom