• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Seriously, what the fuck at Chapter 7. How is that balanced in any way.

Spoilers I guess?

First of all I take out like a million standard lancers, then all the machine gun turrets, take down walls to stop its progress, then climb on ontop each time it finally uses its main cannon to blow up 4 radiators, the 3rd and 4th of course during when Little Ms Instant Killer slaughters most of my squad and I thought: YES, YES I'VE DONE IT! But then the game fucking expects to whittle down the tanks health even after all that, all my engineers are dead because trying to get close = death, so the Edleweiss explodes and its game over.

Come on, thats bullshit. Its gonna take like half an hour again just to get back to that point :/

Durante

SecretBonusPoint said:
It's balanced in being challenging :p

At least you know you can save during battles. I only figured that out around chapter 12 or so. Believe me, if you don't know that it's a whole different level of motivation to try your best! :lol

Jesus, I just beat it finally. Put my tank into full throttle back to the final base to meet an engineer half way, didn't move any other units and hoarded CP points, fluked getting someone on top of it dodging Little Ms. Insta-Kill with 5hp to spare to take out the last radiator then unleashed an entire full amount of CP points the next round of Tank shells and exploded that god damn thing.

I feel like I deserve medals in real life for this! My heart is shot to shit!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
how do you all have your tanks set up?

I gather accuracy is again king.

but whats turret magazine? and why does it take up so much space? You'd have thought it was something awesome....

Just finished the game. What an awesome experience. I would kill for a proper hardcover artbook of the game laid out similarly to how the menu/story of the game is laid out.

kaizoku said:
how do you all have your tanks set up?

I gather accuracy is again king.

but whats turret magazine? and why does it take up so much space? You'd have thought it was something awesome....

I never bought the support items like radiator and tread upgrades, only accuracy and ammo capacity upgrades. The magazines give you more mortar rounds.

I'm currently working my way through chapter 4. I'm taking my time with going through the game, at times there can be almost too much to take in (books, background information, etc).

kaizoku

Benjillion said:
I'm currently working my way through chapter 4. I'm taking my time with going through the game, at times there can be almost too much to take in (books, background information, etc).

I don't think there's much point reading the glossary/personnel info before the end - things evolve as you progress so you'll find yourself going over like an extra sentence or something like that - I've decided to take it all in once I unlock as much as I can.

I'm on chapter 15, holy shit thats annoying. Definitely the most annoying mission so far, first time I actually turned the game off from sheer frustration and "really??" kind of feeling.

I even read a few strategy guides on how we're supposed to tackle this and they all kind of mirrored my own initial strategy - cool beans I thought, I'm on the right track! - except it doesn't work! every strategy has revolved around "sneaking behind" - only you can't because they turn around and notice you no matter where you are.

From what I gather there might be multiple ways to traverse this map, but the final showdown can only be decided one way (using a combo of tactics) and that sucks imo. with all the troops, weapons and orders you have, there really should be some more flexibility here.

kaizoku said:
I don't think there's much point reading the glossary/personnel info before the end - things evolve as you progress so you'll find yourself going over like an extra sentence or something like that - I've decided to take it all in once I unlock as much as I can.

I'm on chapter 15, holy shit thats annoying. Definitely the most annoying mission so far, first time I actually turned the game off from sheer frustration and "really??" kind of feeling.

I even read a few strategy guides on how we're supposed to tackle this and they all kind of mirrored my own initial strategy - cool beans I thought, I'm on the right track! - except it doesn't work! every strategy has revolved around "sneaking behind" - only you can't because they turn around and notice you no matter where you are.

From what I gather there might be multiple ways to traverse this map, but the final showdown can only be decided one way (using a combo of tactics) and that sucks imo. with all the troops, weapons and orders you have, there really should be some more flexibility here.

You talking about the second battle in that chapter? It can be cheesed extremely easily.

Smoke and snipers.

SecretBonusPoint said:

Spoilers I guess?

First of all I take out like a million standard lancers, then all the machine gun turrets, take down walls to stop its progress, then climb on ontop each time it finally uses its main cannon to blow up 4 radiators, the 3rd and 4th of course during when Little Ms Instant Killer slaughters most of my squad and I thought: YES, YES I'VE DONE IT! But then the game fucking expects to whittle down the tanks health even after all that, all my engineers are dead because trying to get close = death, so the Edleweiss explodes and its game over.

Come on, thats bullshit. Its gonna take like half an hour again just to get back to that point :/

Read my long post on how to do this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14118466&postcount=3997

gokieks

For Ch. 7:

You can ignore all the human troops that are initially in the battle if you move Rosie and Alicia (or equivalent Shocktrooper/Scout) to the east edge of the trench that's in the middle of the map and have them face towards the mob of enemies - they will all move towards that area and be killed by interception fire. Even if they aren't, you can easily kill them with Engineers when you're replenishing Lancer ammo.

For the rest of the battle, it's just having two teams of Lancers and Engineers (Lancer x 2 + Engineer, if you have enough Lancers on your squad) take out all of the guns on the Batomys (with help from Edelweiss), then have them join all the other characters in running to the base in the southwest, destroying the ruins and creating roadblocks along the way. Have two of the Lancers retreat, then summon two snipers at the southeast base. By the time the second radiator appears, all of your units should be well away from where Selvaria appears. After you blow it and she appears, you can use your two snipers to kill all 6 of the enemies that come with her (including the Ace), then just use Edelweiss to block her until the third radiator appears, blow it up, then keep shooting it with Edelweiss and/or Lancers until it's destroyed.

It's the longest battle, but once you know how to deal with Selvaria (get as far as away from where she is as possible and use Edelweiss to prevent her from slaughtering you), it's really not all that hard. I mean, you'll still probably have to save/load a bit just because of the Lancers'/Snipers' accuracy (or lack thereof), but that's about it.

Durante said:
29fvyaf.jpg

The copy of VP that I bought today has a b/w book and white background. Just a heads up for potential buyers. I was pretty bummed.

I bought mine in the U.S. by the way.

gokieks

shouamabane said:
The copy of VP that I bought today has a b/w book and white background. Just a heads up for potential buyers. I was pretty bummed.

That picture isn't of a US copy (I can't quite tell what the rating system is on the disc, but it's not ESRB - the cover of the manual also doesn't have the ESRB rating in lower left corner). My copy also lacks the reversible cover, and the instruction is printed in black and white. And since I pre-ordered and got it on ship day, I'm pretty sure it was initial print, and thus all US copies are like that.

PS exclusives used to be treated well packaging-wise. It's sad that this game got such a lame marketing push too.

This game deserved better from SCEA.

gokieks

Hcoregamer00 said:
Man, the reversible cover is nice.

Where is my 200+ page Official Valkyria Chronicles Artbook, MAKE IT HAPPEN SEGA.

Seriously, that art book (pamphlet) that was the pre-order bonus was really disappointing. But then again, good art books are getting rarer and rarer these days - things like Xenogears PERFECT WORKS are far and few in between now.

shouamabane said:
PS exclusives used to be treated well packaging-wise. It's sad that this game got such a lame marketing push too.

This game deserved better from SCEA.

The marketing wasn't that terrible. Most gaming magazines had an full two-paged ad for it, and the December issue of play magazine had a large poster for it (which of course I bought exclusively for that reason).

Diagol

I just picked this game up, all because of the hype from this board.

I tend to really like SRPG's, but I was busy with school when it came out.

So if any of you thought that by posting here, you would convince someone to buy the game, rest assured that you just did. :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
gokieks said:
Seriously, that art book (pamphlet) that was the pre-order bonus was really disappointing. But then again, good art books are getting rarer and rarer these days - things like Xenogears PERFECT WORKS are far and few in between now.

Yeah, but the Atlus artbook for Persona 4 was AWESOME, and it was also a free preorder bonus.

I agree with you that good videogame artbooks are getting rarer and rarer. The last amazing one I bought was the Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney) artbook that was $50 and 350 pages of Ace Attorney heaven.

hteng

Banned
i like the end where they list all your surviving members, i did not have a single person killed in action, i should get a medal or something

wow, chapter 9 has got to be the easiest chapter in the entire game.

Position Welkin in the next alley over on the east, send a shocktrooper up to kill the lancer in the north, and then move off to the east ignoring the scout. End turn twice. Follow the armored tank from behind with the shocktrooper, and spend the rest of your CP taking out the radiator. If you have the Damage Boost order, you can pretty much destroy it with one CP turn.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
hteng said:
i like the end where they list all your surviving members, i did not have a single person killed in action, i should get a medal or something

You actually get a medal for letting at least one of your units with all of their potentials unlocked die. So..yeah.. but don't worry they come in new game+ no matter what.

shouamabane said:

That photo looks like a Europe version...? I wonder if the manual is in color.

Why the heck did they skimp out on the US version?? Oh... yeah... 33k...

Issun23

Nope, the manual's in black and white in our version too (EU). At least we get the double-sided jacket.

I've finally nailed the desert skirmish (number 4?) in one turn using Alicia. :D

Defence + Evade Boost Orders on her, keep running straight towards the camp, take out the Shocktrooper by the flag and voila. You can use a sniper to headshot another commander unit on top of the first enemy base for some more points too.

Durante

radiantdreamer said:
That photo looks like a Europe version...? I wonder if the manual is in color.
Yeah, it's the European version. The manual is b/w though. I like that most PS3 games I buy these days have artwork on the inside of the box.

I must say, I just picked this up, and I am utterly amazed by it. Easily one of the best games I have every played, but i cant explain why. To think about it, it shouldnt be good, but everything just works and comes together perfectly. Probably the second or third best game I own (MGS4 still takes the cake).

SecretBonusPoint said:

i did that one on the first run,
positioned the eidelweiss between the imperial tank and selveria which blocked most of her shots from approaching teammates. it was hard getting the last radiator as it happened to be on the same side she was on, but mainly because i fucked up the first time and got my lancer up there only to realize he had no ammo.. he got wiped a few seconds later which meant bringing out another lancer. with the radiator done i just blasted him a few times and it was over.

half my guys did nothing for that mission, i reckon i mostly used 2 scouts, 2 lancers, and 1 engineer for repairs. eidelweiss took out most of the machine turrets since it takes no damage from them and provides cover for the lancers.

i think i got a D or something but i'm not too worried about scores for my first time through :D

edbrat

i just bought because of the massive groundswell of opinion for this game in the "i just got a ps3" thread, UK vers has nice colour cover and b&w insides.

proof that gaf sells games!

(i dont know why its lopsided it warnt like that on photobucket i not good with computahh)

DSC00394.jpg

ianp622

I got this game for Christmas. I love it SO MUCH. I would talk more about it, but that's less time I get to play it.

Anyway, I'm not even past chapter 6 yet and I'm already thinking about what would make the best sequel ever:

Level/Mission editor
(maybe) Multiplayer
Better AI

That's pretty much it.

Yazuka

Its a shame the US version of VC doesn't have a reversible cover.
I bought the US version since it was cheaper. So I'm thinking of getting a EU version which I know has a reversible cover. Perhaps worst reason ever to rebuy a game, but I want the "prettier" version. >_>

Well hopefully I can get my new PS3 soon so I can play this game too!
I'm really dying to try it. >.<

SonComet

shouamabane said:

Mine is the same way. It was bought in early December.

Issun23 said:
Nope, the manual's in black and white in our version too (EU). At least we get the double-sided jacket.

I've finally nailed the desert skirmish (number 4?) in one turn using Alicia. :D

Defence + Evade Boost Orders on her, keep running straight towards the camp, take out the Shocktrooper by the flag and voila. You can use a sniper to headshot another commander unit on top of the first enemy base for some more points too.

I found this out too
on the first try, brag brag brag
, but didn't use any orders. You don't have to kill the shocktrooper by the flag. You can just toss a grenade at him and as long as he bounces outside of the sandbag zone, you can occupy.

I think I'm going to print my own inside jacket, just to be cool. :D
or nerdy

Issun23

I didn't know there'd be so many weapons. Some of the Imperial Ace rewards are pretty powerful.

Starting Chapter 13, seems like it will be the biggest battle yet.

Also the story is becoming sadder and sadder the more I play it. :(

First the concentration camp is set on fire, now Isara dies. ;_;

RuGalz

Finally beat the game today. I enjoyed it for the most part but I wish the story was better written. It was charming at first but got corny and too predictable real quick 2nd half of it. >.< If they do get to make a sequel, I hope they will get a better writter and also I'd prefer it if the ranking isn't purely based on how quickly you can beat the battle; it feels a bit anti-climactic knowing that all the battles can be beaten in so few terms imo.

Currently replaying to get back to where I left off in the review copy. I'm loving the game and recommended it heartily. I'm now using a promo copy but I'll make sure to grab a sealed (PAL) copy before it becomes impossible to get.

It's interesting how you can normally beat missions pretty easily if you just know what to do, use the proper orders and just run like hell. Either that or you can play it safe and just slowly pick off anything in your way. I just did Mission 6 (first desert mission):

Started out using Marina from the sniper position with Aim order to take down the two snipers at the camp. Last time this level was a nightmare due to them taking down anyone in sight. Then took care of the left side with mostly Rosie rushing down everyone. Proceeded to grab the camp and reposition lancers there to take out the tanks. Due to poor performance, I eventually rushed Largo on a suicide run to take out the approaching snipers and insta-kill the left tank. Ended up sending Rosie up there to clean up, and then Alicia as assistance. As they killed everything much more efficiently than I thought, I had enough spare CP to bring Rosie east to take out the ace sniper, and then grabbed the base. I'm pretty sure I could have done that much earlier, since most of the mobs don't use intercept fire on this level and it's only a problem if you try to cover down in the trenches.

I'm slightly dreading Mission 7. Last time I
followed a a guide to get started since I was completely stuck on my first few attempts. As long as you use a sniper and an engineer to climb onto the tank and take out the would-be intercepting enemies, and then a lancer to take out all of the left side turrets, you are pretty safe to manuevre until Selvaria shows up. And since her AI is a bit wacky, you'll still be pretty safe as long as you can wedge the Edelweiss between her and your team.

Great game. I'm loving the characters and the intense battles. Rosie and Alicia are fantastic but I don't know if it's just random luck or them having improved stats. Same thing with Marina, Hannes and Walter, I just do well with them but haven't really checked if they actually are good.

kaizoku

RuGalz said:
Finally beat the game today. I enjoyed it for the most part but I wish the story was better written. It was charming at first but got corny and too predictable real quick 2nd half of it. >.< If they do get to make a sequel, I hope they will get a better writter and also I'd prefer it if the ranking isn't purely based on how quickly you can beat the battle; it feels a bit anti-climactic knowing that all the battles can be beaten in so few terms imo.

I concur. Its like Advance Wars, the final battle would seem like an impossible uphill struggle which could last hours and be incredibly intense. Then you see someone get the top score by doing it in a few moves and its like....oh. Doing it the long way round is much more fun.

I've been fascinated getting A ranks on my first play through - do those stats stick on your second play through? I think i might take it more seriously once I have all the A ranks and then I can play to clear the map instead. More epic that way.

Baha

kaizoku said:
I concur. Its like Advance Wars, the final battle would seem like an impossible uphill struggle which could last hours and be incredibly intense. Then you see someone get the top score by doing it in a few moves and its like....oh. Doing it the long way round is much more fun.

I've been fascinated getting A ranks on my first play through - do those stats stick on your second play through? I think i might take it more seriously once I have all the A ranks and then I can play to clear the map instead. More epic that way.

Yes, there's a stats page in new game+ so I would recommend playing the missions at your own pace the 1st playthrough and then in new game+ go for A ranks with the least amount of turns.

w1ndst0rm

I am adding my vote for a big time art book. My only complaint so far is that they sold us on a beautiful game and gave us a b/w instruction book.

gokieks

radiantdreamer said:
with pitiful range.

And also worse accuracy (if you've been doing a decent job of R&D upgrading). As a general rule I preferred using Gailian weapons (of the Royal variety if available), but there are a few missions where the Imperial weapons with their high damage is useful (
Recapture of Bruhl and the Welkin/Alicia misson whose name escapes me at the moment, for example
). The enemy flamethrowers, though, are far and away the best in the game for all circumstances.

NeoUltima

This is ridiculous :/. Game finally gets it back in stock online, go to order and fill out my info...and by the time I'm done....sold out. Damnit all :/

Issun23

radiantdreamer said:
with pitiful range.

Yes, range is atrocious compared to the more advanced Gallian weaponry but they do serve their purpose well for close encounters.

My tactics usually involve sniping all enemies that can send interception fire on my troopers (all my snipers have the royal rifle), move in the scouts with grenade launchers to eliminate any Ace units which have the habit of dodging fire and finishing the rest with my troopers/lancers. Always using Engineers to reload units with limited ammo (snipers and lancers).

I only give Ace weapons to the "leader" of every class, a unit I use to go in first softening the enemies before going in with the rest of the squad.

Top Bottom