• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Magenta changed Gridon to Ornac to preserve the joke (Ryoji quickly gives Jonouchi a name that's just the Lock Seed backwards) and didn't want to do a TN or leave it in Japanese, although I personally feel since the Drive shouts "DONGURI ARMS!", people could've easily put 2 + 2 together. But, you know, I guess it's not the end of the world since otherwise the translation's good.

Apparently he was originally going to use a different joke and keep Gridon, punning off "gridiron" and how Gridon looks like a football player, but decided against it.

Gaim

you know i do not mind at all that they are revealing a bunch of new riders and actually giving them a purpose. This is becoming my favorite season so far. i just feel bad for any completest who has to have every figure, because at the rate its going there will be 20+.

Apparently Durian doesn't get a toy, I guess because of how difficult his transformation is. Or atleast he won't get one with switchable Arms.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Magenta changed Gridon to Ornac to preserve the joke (Ryoji quickly gives Jonouchi a name that's just the Lock Seed backwards) and didn't want to do a TN or leave it in Japanese, although I personally feel since the Drive shouts "DONGURI ARMS!", people could've easily put 2 + 2 together. But, you know, I guess it's not the end of the world since otherwise the translation's good.

I didn't watch the episode yet, but do they translate DONGURI ARMS into Acorn Arms? If they do (which they must, because they translated Ichigo into Strawberry), then I don't see a problem, as it keeps the joke.

Watch Da Birdie

I didn't watch the episode yet, but do they translate DONGURI ARMS into Acorn Arms? If they do (which they must, because they translated Ichigo into Strawberry), then I don't see a problem, as it keeps the joke.

They do.

But I mean that if they left it as Gridon, most people would probably figure it out because the actual audio yells DONGURI ARMS while the subs say Acorn Arms so people would figure out the joke. It's just kind of weird having a Rider name translated.

It's gonna be interesting with the "Warring Driver" (something I don't mind really) since their appears to be character actually named Sengoku popping up soon.

After watching episode 6 of Gaim, I have to say I'm impressed with just how many interesting characters the show is managing to juggle so early on.

shaowebb

Showed my wife the intro of Kamen Rider Bravo, how he got the belt and well...the general last 4 minutes of Gaim ep 6. We both have the same opinion...this is one of the best Riders ever :D

The premise is still confusing and barely holds on to what little sense it tries to make with dancing/inves game rankings and what all, but we can completely ignore the loose premise because the show itself is really good and really fun. Dancing monster battle ranking? Whatever.. forgiven because of how awesome the show is regardless of that stuff. It even makes the premise of fruit sengoku fun as you start to try and imagine sengoku tropes to various foods wondering what sort of riders will appear next. It develops cast nicely and its a surprisingly awesome show so far against all odds. Hope Bravo makes it into Battride 2

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Showed my wife the intro of Kamen Rider Bravo, how he got the belt and well...the general last 4 minutes of Gaim ep 6. We both have the same opinion...this is one of the best Riders ever :D

oh yeah. hes gonna be a damn boss. cant wait to see the other riders this show creates

Watch Da Birdie

I dunno, pretty much everything I read about Bravo before he appeared made it seem like he'd be killed off, which would, as he said, would show how things are more than just a game.

That being said, it's possible they may keep him alive if he proves popular, which he certainly seems to be.

Tenumi

Banned
I have to say, I really didn't see Bravo coming.
I didn't make the connection about Team Red Hot until they showed the flashback. Kinda assumed he was going to be a one-off character

Still not 100% sold on Gaim, though. I don't know, maybe Kamen Rider just isn't for me...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I know I always repeat myself, but the only Kamen Riders i've ever saw were Black, Black RX (back in the 90's), Faizu and now Gaim. I thought the Cards used by Blade were stupid, so I never even began watching it, and I only paid attention to tokusatsu again with Wizard, but I didn't like it as well. However, I gotta say... Gaim is pretty awesome.

The fact that they're all riders fighting each other as opposed to some random monsters is pretty awesome, all the parallels with Faiz are great for me (because I loved Faiz) and I like pretty much every single character that showed up so far. I also love how, overall, it has a lighter tone.

I really hope they don't can Bravo. It seems he has a nice Army background, and would spice things up. I love that he's so different than the other, young people doing fights because they're bored riders. Not only that, he's a very different character from what would usually show up on a kids show.

Great series so far. I think I like it as much as I like Kyoryuger.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
After watching episode 6 of Gaim, I have to say I'm impressed with just how many interesting characters the show is managing to juggle so early on.

Yeah, it shows how much Wizard suck when Wizard only has like handful and neither really did much in the plot outside of Haruto.

GManDH

I have to say, I really didn't see Bravo coming.

Still not 100% sold on Gaim, though. I don't know, maybe Kamen Rider just isn't for me...

Thats possible. I use to think i would watch SS and not care for KR and now its the opposite. i watch and read bout KR as much as possible and SS is a complete backburner and i dont care for it. Thats the beauty of toku, you have loyal ppl who only care for one series, and then you have people that watch a different series each year. YOU decide, however KamenRider kicks SuperSentai butt all day!!! ;)

Durian Arms!

Misssttteeeerrrr Daaangerooous!

Wow Kamen Rider Gaim giving us plenty of riders with character & motivations. I admit at first I was rolling my eyes at the standard dumb hero, douchy loner & etc.

I'm glad there's variety. In fact I had to watch the scene in Pierre's room twice to understand what wasn't said about his character. Dude has spent a life of fighting and cooking and lives as a showman of his art.

Also despite Kaito being my favorite rider(design wise), I nodded when I saw the B team riders whooped his ass.

Boss Doggie

I don't think anyone likes the Baron douche save for the fangirls anyway.

I really hope fruits and nuts get back on him more.

What lock did grape steal btw

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I don't mind Baron. If nothing else, he's got the best Rider design in the show thus far (Bravo is pretty awesome too, though I could do without the gladiator mohawk thing on the helmet).

And Micchy stole the Watermelon lock seed. You can see Gaim use it in the preview.

vareon

You mean Kaito? He just like to challenge strong dudes and have no respect for the weakers, I don't think he was douchey so far.

Watch Da Birdie

The douchiest dude so far is Mitsuzane, who I suspect will get much worse before getting better.

Kaito is like Kaiba, he's a cool rival...he even does the cool card tricks (but has a hand double doing it for him)

Boss Doggie

You mean Kaito? He just like to challenge strong dudes and have no respect for the weakers, I don't think he was douchey so far.

The only time he showed "signs" of being not-douche is when he hates cheaters and when he made that kid jump. Otherwise he's more of that "muh philosophy" guy.

Kaito is like Kaiba, he's a cool rival...he even does the cool card tricks (but has a hand double doing it for him)

You mean the guy who always loses, plays off his victories against weak players as something major, but still tries to act cool? :p

Boss Doggie

Honestly I still feel Robocop remake won't have the depth the original one will have, rather it'll be just a mindless action movie of the 2010's.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
No, but one of the designers of Robocop (Rob Bottin) was a fan of Gavan and designed him based on it. To complete the circle, the 8th Metal Hero, Jiban, was a tribute to Robocop.

iLMDajsJJIwbW.gif
i1zUbN0q1rzvn.gif

I'd say it's a better TV adaptation of Robocop than what we got with the 90's Robocop TV Series from Fox.

Slayven

Honestly I still feel Robocop remake won't have the depth the original one will have, rather it'll be just a mindless action movie of the 2010's.

It wouldn't ahve the impact. The 80s were a wild time and some movies benefited from that. Red Dawn, Wargames, Weird Science, Robocop, and others jsut wouldn't feel the same.

I just finished "A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate," and I have to say it was quite awesome. I don't have many episodes left to watch, although I know about the epilogue movies.

I like Acorn and Pinecone switch personalities in and out of suit.

Yeah Hase is tough like a Kleenex and Jonouchi calls the shots as civilians.

I want to know how and or why they get money of inves games. On paper their kids dancing and battling. Is that how they support themselves?

Yes I recall the ep where Kouta brought home all that inves game money

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah Hase is tough like a Kleenex and Jonouchi calls the shots as civilians.

I want to know how and or why they get money of inves games. On paper their kids dancing and battling. Is that how they support themselves?

Yes I recall the ep where Kouta brought home all that inves game money

I'd wager it's bet money. People watching bet on who's going to win and the winner gets a cut.

Watch Da Birdie

Seems naming the belt "Warring Driver" in the sub is going to come back and bite them in the butt...

Scans show a new character named Ryouma Sengoku, spelt the unique way of the driver, who apparently created them.

He's played by some dude who was Aguri in GARO, if you recognize that.

vareon

The only time he showed "signs" of being not-douche is when he hates cheaters and when he made that kid jump. Otherwise he's more of that "muh philosophy" guy.

You mean the guy who always loses, plays off his victories against weak players as something major, but still tries to act cool? :p

To me douchey implies doing annoying things for the sake of it, which he isn't so far. He's Kaiba without screw the rules I have money philosophy.

Seems naming the belt "Warring Driver" in the sub is going to come back and bite them in the butt...

Scans show a new character named Ryouma Sengoku, spelt the unique way of the driver, who apparently created them.

Ryoma Warring it is then!

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Not according to magenta:

So like here is why IMO the Ryouma Sengoku/Sengoku Driver thing is a complete nonissue. Note: implementation ideas liable to change.
Sengoku (戦国) is a common enough word. Sagara uses it in episode 6, even. But this guy, and his driver, aren't 戦国, they're 戦極.
Which means if the show wants to associate these weird spellings of the name to each other, as opposed to 戦国, they have to do it in dialogue
By saying the driver is his brainchild, is named after him, or a big scene where both sets of kanji come up on screen where he can clarify
As I see it, we call the guy Ryouma Sengoku and if the show doesn't care to draw a connection, we don't need to either.
If it does, we can clarify that connection by tweaking dialogue, exactly as we did for Gog/Magog in Go-Busters.
@DeadPigmon Right, I know he's the brainchild behind the belts. But if the show points that out, we can tweak dialog to our favor.
@My2tiical Well I more mean if he says "The belt is named after me." we can do it as "The belt's name derives from my own." or such.
@My2tiical I think the meaning of the name, and how that pertains to the driver and its purpose is genuinely important
@My2tiical To the extent I don't think "Sengoku Driver" is the right choice even if it is named after him, awful as that may sound

I guess we'll see.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Honestly I don't get that much of the sub drama.

People on the internet went crazy with the Gridon/Ornac thing, and I thought it was a nice way of handling it, so I don't know either...

The way I see it, they should do whatever you want to do so you can easily understand the text and make whatever weird connection you needed to do to make the concept fly (be it naming people differently or changing up Nossan's jokes so they make sense) and, if need be, put an explanation somewhere on a blog and, whoever wants to, can go read it.

I really wish they would document on why they made the choices they made on a central "let's talk about translation" place so I could easily go read it as opposed to piecing information together from 3 twitter accounts and the occasional "let's make fun of T-N" blog post. I always thought it was an interesting subject.

Boss Doggie

People on the internet went crazy with the Gridon/Ornac thing, and I thought it was a nice way of handling it, so I don't know either...

The way I see it, they should do whatever you want to do so you can easily understand the text and make whatever weird connection you needed to do to make the concept fly (be it naming people differently or changing up Nossan's jokes so they make sense) and, if need be, put an explanation somewhere on a blog and, whoever wants to, can go read it.

I really wish they would document on why they made the choices they made on a central "let's talk about translation" place so I could easily go read it as opposed to piecing information together from 3 twitter accounts and the occasional "let's make fun of T-N" blog post. I always thought it was an interesting subject.

The fact that it's a softsub pretty much implies you can change the script, so the complaints are pointless.

At the very least, despite the changes on names, the localization is still correct and much more coherent than TVNeko

yami4ct

I'd wager it's bet money. People watching bet on who's going to win and the winner gets a cut.

I kind of assumed they sold the lock seeds they won. It's clear that the loser of the game gives their seeds to the winner, and it's also pretty clear that those seeds are worth a fair bit of cash. I don't know, show's never really brought it up aside from Kouta bringing home the cash.

I finished the last couple of W episodes yesterday and the epilogue movies today, so I'm pretty sure I'm done with the series now. It was a damn good show, overall.

I kind of assumed they sold the lock seeds they won. It's clear that the loser of the game gives their seeds to the winner, and it's also pretty clear that those seeds are worth a fair bit of cash. I don't know, show's never really brought it up aside from Kouta bringing home the cash.

I hope there is another ep that touches on it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I finished the last couple of W episodes yesterday and the epilogue movies today, so I'm pretty sure I'm done with the series now. It was a damn good show, overall.

Movie Wars Megamax has a W section that takes place after the end of the series/the epilogue movies. And the previous Movie Wars before that has a section that serves as a "prologue" to W, focusing on Skull.

Of course you may have already watched these, since I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to when you say "epilogue movies" (you could be referring to W Returns Accel/Eternal, or the things I just mentioned).

Movie Wars Megamax has a W section that takes place after the end of the series/the epilogue movies. And the previous Movie Wars before that has a section that serves as a "prologue" to W, focusing on Skull.

Of course you may have already watched these, since I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to when you say "epilogue movies" (you could be referring to W Returns Accel/Eternal, or the things I just mentioned).

I saw Movie War Core, but I haven't looked into Megamax yet.

Top Bottom