• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

vareon

Gai is a thing now?

pOPiXc6.jpg

Yo.

There's no crocodile Rider...

There totally was a crocodile Rider - Gaoh, from Den-O's first movie. Doggie must have gotten his series confused.
But his Rider suit was stripped down and remade as Kamen Rider Yuuki's suit, and his regular clothes were reused for Wizard's second movie. So there is no crocodile Rider anymore. There was a croc here, it's gone now.

Also acorn and pinecone look mook-y

Hell, acorn reminds me of a goomba

That's the same vibe I got from them; they're lackeys through-and-through. I like it, it kind of takes the glamour out of the Warring Drivers.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Seems there's a method to the Lock Seeds categorization according to Magenta

The Japanese Riders, Gaim and Kurokage, have a japanese phrase + english phrase; hence "hanamichi, orange arms!"
The European Riders, Baron, Kurokage, and Bravo, have a sung english phrase; hence "knight of spear"
The lone Chinese Rider, Ryugen, has like the japanese characters with spaces between them; hence the "Ha! Ha! Ha!"

WillyFive

Considering Sakamoto is behind this, I can totally believe that Mad Torin having scales is a reference to Doggie's American doppelganger having scales.

Also, if this was Doggie, he would have taken out all the revived monsters by himself while the others watched. Although to be fair, Doggie was a veteran Ranger long before the other Dekarangers, while Torin is a total newbie.

also anyone else think that Aesir is a lil off translation?

I don't speak Japanese, but the biggest complaint about their subs I read people talking about are how they translate the Pine power-up as Pineapple and translating the name of the Driver.

Which I don't care at all about.

shaowebb

There totally was a crocodile Rider - Gaoh, from Den-O's first movie. Doggie must have gotten his series confused.
But his Rider suit was stripped down and remade as Kamen Rider Yuuki's suit, and his regular clothes were reused for Wizard's second movie. So there is no crocodile Rider anymore. There was a croc here, it's gone now.

Came to post this and was beaten.

Basically Gaoh wore this...

doBT2Dm.jpg

and he was after something I think was called the God Line and had a train that could devour and destroy lines in time which was a major threat...

0eRuKOG.jpg

... he was from the mid season Den-O movie that was built up on the show. His tag line was "I'll devour everything" and he was always consuming something. He had a jagged version of Den-O's sword called the Gaoh Gasher and his train was the Gaohliner.

Then later they did another movie and used that suit as the base to make another Den O movie villain called Yuuki who had two forms...

Yuuki Skull Form and Hijack Form
QVhPdDI.jpg

... Yuuki had a Ghost Train that went to the land of the dead. Plot involved him abducting Ryotaro so that he could take the Ghost Train through time to replace the land of the living with that of the dead. He was a necromancer and had not one Den Gasher but TWO he would combine to create the Savage Gasher that he used to do a really crazy attack called Terminate Flash. His movie was where New Den-O starts his series of films and honestly it had one of the most fun endings and explains why in some films why the Imagin can Henshin into their respective forms without possessing Ryotaro first. He was probably Den-O's strongest opponent and it was a really fun movie. Really cool character.

Tenumi

Banned
I don't speak Japanese, but the biggest complaint about their subs I read people talking about are how they translate the Pine power-up as Pineapple and translating the name of the Driver.

I for one have a tendency to prefer more liberal subbing. No, it's not as "correct", but often times its a lot more watchable/readable.

WillyFive

I for one have a tendency to prefer more liberal subbing. No, it's not as "correct", but often times its a lot more watchable/readable.

As long as it has the same meaning as the Japanese, I'll say it's correct.

A lot of people say TV-N is more "correct" because they translate word for word, but as anyone who is bilingual will tell you, translating almost anything word for word will end up with a different and incorrect meaning, because languages, words, and syntax simply work differently in another language.

That's also why TV-N has so many translation errors and nonsensical dialogue.

Watch Da Birdie

I always thought Gao was supposed to be a T-Rex with the whole "beginning of time" deal and the fact that it roared like one...

Anyway, Mango Arms and Kiwi Arms!

rOh8Aiu.jpg

GManDH

Loving the amount of arms that are appearing. and i dont know who said but yea AEsir is a lil off but still understandable. and when you have to choose between something that is once in 5 eps confusing or TN ill take AEsir.

vareon

It makes sense to translate Pine into Pineapple given that they knew there a Pinecone Seed is coming, no? Nobody calls a pineapple "pine".

I always thought Gao was supposed to be a T-Rex with the whole "beginning of time" deal and the fact that it roared like one...

Nah, the rigged motif and the snout definitely symbolizes crocodiles.

Edit: Oooooh that's the OOO and W lock seed.
Mango Arms look good. It's already on Kaito's hand, right?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, he's not on Doggie tier because he doesn't do the coat off. NO COAT OFFS.

As long as it has the same meaning as the Japanese, I'll say it's correct.

A lot of people say TV-N is more "correct" because they translate word for word, but as anyone who is bilingual will tell you, translating almost anything word for word will end up with a different and incorrect meaning, because languages, words, and syntax simply work differently in another language.

That's also why TV-N has so many translation errors and nonsensical dialogue.

Yeah, anyone who tells TVN are "correct" should be laughed with no remorse.

Apparently they use "Japanese terms" and other shit, making them "more correct" to fans... to which you should laugh at them even harder.

I recall them having shenanigans like "Super Sentai used to have manga" in one of their translations, mistakening the "they used to have 'man' in their name" line.

And yeah, who in their right mind would call Pineapple Pine in English?

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, it was from the SHT Net Movies where Narutaki and Urataros owned a detective agency.

yami4ct

Another year where Silver's suit is not as cool as the thing transforming into it.

I'm going to be a bit blasphemous here, given the typical TokuGaf opinion on this, but I don't really like Torin's design all that much. I think the character is great, but the actually suit design bugs me for some reason. I think it's mostly the head. There's something really goofy to me about it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm going to be a bit blasphemous here, given the typical TokuGaf opinion on this, but I don't really like Torin's design all that much. I think the character is great, but the actually suit design bugs me for some reason. I think it's mostly the head. There's something really goofy to me about it.

I think it's weird looking and ugly, but at least it allows whoever is wearing it to move like a real human being, which means Torin fights a bunch.

I'm ok with it.

WillyFive

I like his design. I love his moustache. What I don't like is how rigid it is. Disney made excellent animatronics for their PR shows, but Sentai is still stuck with dead frozen faces.

yami4ct

I think it's weird looking and ugly, but at least it allows whoever is wearing it to move like a real human being, which means Torin fights a bunch.

I'm ok with it.

The suit definitely allows the actor to put a ton of personality into the character, which I like. Torin probably has more personality in his movements than any of the other mentor characters we've seen in Sentai, and that aspect I like.

The design, specifically the head and really long neck, just look goofy to me, though.

Boss Doggie

theyve pretty confirmed there will be, just hasnt been released yet.
sweet

You know, I wonder if everyone in Team Gaim becomes a rider eventually.

I thought it's a nice design compromise to make his head small to prevent seeing the odd "barely move mouth" syndrome found in early-dekaranger-episodes Doggie.

With that said his neck is goddamn big.

I don't know... snapping in the middle of your Roll Call is pretty cool:

ibp7ruJmSWFnvL.gif

Yes it is.

But it's no COATS OFF DOGGIE.

The suit definitely allows the actor to put a ton of personality into the character, which I like. Torin probably has more personality in his movements than any of the other mentor characters we've seen in Sentai, and that aspect I like.

Ehhhhhhhh

He's no Doggie, Kurorin, that old guy in Boukenger, and Old Guy/Kusabe in Shinkenger.

Much better than most though.

vareon

Doggie, Go-busters is my favorite sentai I've watched (I know there are better ones but I don't have the mood to marathon anything right now) but Kurorin isn't one of the reasons.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
And while we're at it (and I took 30 minutes of my Japanese Kids Show watching time to learn how to make gifs), let's go all the way.

Torin's Finger Snapping Roll Call is much better than Dekamaster's overall:

iHKN0JGL2ced1.gif

But Torin's Finisher, while graphically cool (and having a dumb name. I mean, Trinitist Laser, from Torinitisuto Reiza? That's like the god of all puns)

i5hOMfBja9vyj.gif

Is no Vega Slash, albeit it being very similar

ibkg7evl8xnxbj.gif

Ok, I'm done with gifs for the day.

WillyFive

It sucks that TV-N didn't translate the best part of Doggie's roll call, the "Watchdog of Hell" line. It explains why his finisher has him on a sea of fire.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It sucks that TV-N didn't translate the best part of Doggie's roll call, the "Watchdog of Hell" line. It explains why his finisher has him on a sea of fire.

Yep. That's T-N for you. I would only find out that "Jigoku no Banken" was "Watchdog of Hell" many years later while reading the RangerWiki..

Boss Doggie

Torin's Finger Snapping Roll Call is much better than Dekamaster's overall

That's because the best part of Doggie is his henshin, not the rollcall (and that's because Dekaranger has a shitty roll call).

Doggie, Go-busters is my favorite sentai I've watched (I know there are better ones but I don't have the mood to marathon anything right now) but Kurorin isn't one of the reasons.

While I personally find him funny, I was simply stating about leaders/mentors/base guy characters and not "what to watch for that Sentai" :p

Yeah... I really wish OT would push the Dekaranger subbing again :(

Tenumi

Banned
I am so sad there aren't any good subs of Dekaranger. It looks exactly like the kind of show I'd love.

But for now, I just have to deal with Kyoryuger and.... Zyuranger. God dang it, Zyuranger. Why can't you be good? Ever since Burai showed up, everybody else lost their competence.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's because the best part of Doggie is his henshin, not the rollcall (and that's because Dekaranger has a shitty roll call).

You're only saying that because you want to see him shirtless.

I was going to do both Henshin's, but I didn't. I don't need to see shirtless Doggie and the guitar-like motions from Torin are kinda dumb.

Boss Doggie

That and they would be big gifs

I am so sad there aren't any good subs of Dekaranger. It looks exactly like the kind of show I'd love.

But for now, I just have to deal with Kyoryuger and.... Zyuranger. God dang it, Zyuranger. Why can't you be good? Ever since Burai showed up, everybody else lost their competence.

I kinda thought OT would be doing deka

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I like your gifs.

You can be the new gif guy.

They're a little big when it comes to size, but I can't bring myself to drop even more frames. Those are already 16fps (one frame every 2 is dropped). I should also find a different software to actually MAKE the gifs, other than exporting from Virtualdub...

I recall them releasing ep 3 too

They did. And they're beautiful DVD sources. Not only that, T-N only did DVD Sources for half the series, so half of Dekaranger is bad quality.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GifCam, yo.

I don't really like GifCAM. It skips too many frames and there aren't enough options. Here's the same section, made with my Setup (Avisynth + trim + resize + virtualdub export):

izMiSdHKfCly7.gif

And that's only 1 megabyte bigger.

Also, doing this made me notice that these TV-N encodes are terrible. There's ghosting, aka lack of proper deinterlacing in most scenes. Dammit O-T, get a move on it!

While looking for some much needed Doggie Kruger background info, I found this:

It was revealed in Dekaranger vs. Abaranger that Doggie suffers from a backbone problem which causes him to miss once every 2,000 attacks, which was cured by Yukito Sanjyou (AbareBlue).

I never knew that (mostly because I never saw that movie), but that's weird...

Also acorn and pinecone look mook-y

Hell, acorn reminds me of a goomba

They're supposed to be.

Fruits are the top levels, nuts are the next level down. There was an interview about this.

http://henshinjustice.com/2013/09/12/why-gaim-is-an-orange-naomi-takebe-interview/

HH: Regarding Kamen Rider Griton. He’s more of a nut, why is that?
Takebe: That’s because Gen Urobuchi said he wanted to put the locks in different ranks. He thought nuts would be a good idea. Just like in OOO, you had Cell Medals and Core Medals separating each other. In Gaim there will be fruits and nuts.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I just saw gaim, and after seeing Baron mess with the fruit cards, a wonder if theres gonna be a rhubarb arms....

Top Bottom