• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Delio

So I've been marathoning Kyoryuger this weekend. Loving this show so much. Lord at how happy the Carnival form is XD. Time to go on a Mecha collecting spree @_@

NeonZ

Which are more dangerous for humans? The Faiz belts or Dark Kiva belt?

Normal people can't use any of the Faiz belts. The former school students could use it because they had Orphenoc cells implanted in them - but most of them didn't grow enough to sustain the belt, and that's why they died afterwards while using Kaixa. A completely random normal person attempting to use any of the belts would just get an error message.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Normal people can't use any of the Faiz belts. The former school students could use it because they had Orphenoc cells implanted in them - but most of them didn't grow enough to sustain the belt, and that's why they died afterwards while using Kaixa. A completely random normal person attempting to use any of the belts would just get an error message.

henshin.gif

I've been testing some different settings for bigger gifs and this sounded like an excellent opportunity.

I just watched the first episode of Faiz and I didn't remember anything that they lay out in it. I'm glad the Blurays are coming next year. I hope somebody re-releases it in non-terrible quality, because I don't want to watch the TV-N releases again.

By the way, they were such dicks with the Faiz trailer. They totally led you on by making you think she was going to be the rider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3L_oXGBJU8

That wasn't the case, and we still want a female lead rider to this day... Let's hope Gaim delivers (it won't)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
henshin.gif

I've been testing some different settings for bigger gifs and this sounded like an excellent opportunity.

I just watched the first episode of Faiz and I didn't remember anything that they lay out in it. I'm glad the Blurays are coming next year. I hope somebody re-releases it in non-terrible quality, because I don't want to watch the TV-N releases again.

By the way, they were such dicks with the Faiz trailer. They totally led you on by making you think she was going to be the rider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3L_oXGBJU8

That wasn't the case, and we still want a female lead rider to this day... Let's hope Gaim delivers (it won't)

its too late for gaim. gaim is its lead rider.

dragon knight has done more for female riders sadly. and well never get another damn rider series in the us.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So
DJ guy
is part of "shady totally not evil" company eh? so awkward hearing him talk seriously.

Also this is a great gif. The most fitting "look out we got a badass over here" image

0D6iscZ.gif

vareon

Prediction: Bravo will turn back to fight Yggdrasil and gets killed with Zangetsu's upgrade.

It's a pretty weak prediction. I don't think I can predict an Urobuchi show, but Zangetsu is the first shown (spoiled?) to get an upgrade despite being the one who needed it least, so.....

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
An upcoming episode has the Riders battling it out in Helheim Forest...

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be Mitsuzane who kills Bravo, perhaps protecting his brother, as he gets the Kiwi Arms around that time.

Watch Da Birdie

I really thought the newest episode helped flesh out Micchy's character, specifically his bro-status with Kouta. Before he felt a bit...off and kind of a douche, and I still think he'll go further that way when he likely goes rogue, but at least this episode helped show that he and Kouta are friends which none of the previous episode really did. He just came across as whiny and jealous of him and Mai.

Still the weakest link of the Riders at this point imo, although Ryugen is the coolest suit.

Also I hope DJ Sagara becomes a Rider at some point, love that dude.

Watch Da Birdie

WOW!!!

Loved Gaim. i hope they keep expanding the number of outfits. Yea i think the provider guy is something shady. im starting to think that the host, the provider, and the professor are the evil 3. KR usually has a top 3 villain.

We haven't met the head of the Yggdrasil Corporation yet though...as far as I know, the professor isn't it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
iJQDI7VQruWWx.gif

You know what sucks about Kyoryuger? That it's almost over.

It is a great series. I loved that particular moment. I don't know about you all, but Kyoryu Gold showed up as being amazing and all powerful. He would come in and save the day when the 5 kyoryugers couldn't handle. (sure, every fifth or after-the-fifth hero in a sentai series is always the strongest, see the original KyoryuViolet, Kyoryu Grey, Kyoryu Silver).

That specific scene they pretty much went like: Hey, this is a bunch of Paramonsters and that stronger minion, I'm KyoryuGold, I can fuck you all up at once. And killed everybody with a single Strike, like he used to do when he was first introduced. Sure, he used Blue and Green Batteries, but he has like 20 of them.

Also, I just noticed today: He's always in his "powered on" mode, isn't it? He always has both shoulder pads, while the other kyoryugers only get ONE shoulder pad WHEN they're powered on. No wonder he kick so much ass.

Delio

Two great episodes this week.

Also, anyone noticed that there hasn't been a new MotW costume in Kyoryuger for ages?

Marathoning it I've noticed that for quite a while now. I dunno why but I kinda like that the villians are barely managing to put up a fight monster wise now while the Kyoryugers numbers just keep going up. Just makes it feel like they are on their last legs until Mr.Boss returns again.

GManDH

to anyone who can read japanese and find this out will be interesting. Gaim is awesome, in my opinion though i have no idea how its faring in japan compared to older series, now does it have a higher or lower budget? or they doing more with less or do they just have more to work with??

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ratings-wise? Gaim is doing rather badly. Toy sales-wise, which is the thing that actually matters? Better than any Kamen Rider in the past several years.

WillyFive

Also, Kyoryuger hasn't been able to climb out of the ratings hole Go-Busters left behind, still stuck in the 4.0% range.

Not sure what Toei/TV Asahi can do to turn the ratings around, but at least the show is safe with Bandai's toy money.

GManDH

wasnt this for the crossover movie where a bunch of riders show up?? also you guys thin the standalone movie will show ALL gaim riders?

Watch Da Birdie

wasnt this for the crossover movie where a bunch of riders show up?? also you guys thin the standalone movie will show ALL gaim riders?

Nah, only the post-Decade Rider Lock Seeds will appear in the film, the Ankh Lock Seed is just for fun. There's a Mick (the cat from W) Lock Seed coming too.

Boss Doggie

Maybe they should go full stupid and pull Go-onger shit. Felt like Kyoryu was going to be like that but stopped when they realized it's a dinosaur show and they need to respect the lineage Zyu and Aba left.

jwk94

Which are more dangerous for humans? The Faiz belts or Dark Kiva belt?

Well....Faiz's belt can only be used by Orphenochs, Kaixa's belt turns you into dust, and Delta's belt is A OK for human usage. Dark Kiva....that shit kills you.....slowly.

NeonZ

Ratings-wise? Gaim is doing rather badly. Toy sales-wise, which is the thing that actually matters? Better than any Kamen Rider in the past several years.

Huh? There are numbers for Gaim's ratings (and toy sales?)? The usual source for tokusatsu ratings (the japanese tokusatsu ratings wiki) still doesn't seem to have numbers for Gaim. Do you know somewhere else?

Go-onger had high ratings iirc

You need to look at things in context. Go-onger's ratings were higher than the ratings of the current shows, but it actually lost quite a bit of the children's audience coming from Gekiranger (and Shinkenger right after it also was more popular with children). So, Go-onger didn't seem to be well received by children (even if it wasn't a disaster like Go-Busters).

Prediction: Bravo will turn back to fight Yggdrasil and gets killed with Zangetsu's upgrade.
Is that really Zangetsu's upgrade though? Every marketing material has called Shin Zangetsu a new Rider. It could be a Dark Zangetsu-like character rather than a replacement for his belt.

I'm curious about the toy sales. Wizard's sales dropped waaay below Fourze's, though still twice what Go Buster did, even if the ratings were slighty better.

vareon

I think that could be a bit of mistranslation. Gaim is, rating-wise, not as high as expected. I haven't read anywhere that Gaim is doing bad in that regards.

Huh? There are numbers for Gaim's ratings (and toy sales?)? The usual source for tokusatsu ratings (the japanese tokusatsu ratings wiki) still doesn't seem to have numbers for Gaim. Do you know somewhere else?

You need to look at things in context. Go-onger's ratings were higher than the ratings of the current shows, but it actually lost quite a bit of the children's audience coming from Gekiranger (and Shinkenger right after it also was more popular with children). So, Go-onger didn't seem to be well received by children (even if it wasn't a disaster like Go-Busters).

Is that really Zangetsu's upgrade though? Every marketing material has called Shin Zangetsu a new Rider. It could be a Dark Zangetsu-like character rather than a replacement for his belt.

Now that's interesting.

Boss Doggie

Huh, so Go-onger wasn't a spike though? Still TOYS.

Sad that we won't get GB's lack of toy shilling. That's a rarity and only seen in Sentai pre-Gao (though Hurricanger and Dekaranger are an exception I guess).

WillyFive

Huh, so Go-onger wasn't a spike though? Still TOYS.

Sad that we won't get GB's lack of toy shilling. That's a rarity and only seen in Sentai pre-Gao (though Hurricanger and Dekaranger are an exception I guess).

Shinkenger and Decade/W were the only time in the past half decade that ratings actually went up from the previous year (until Wizard's teeny tiny increase from Fourze).

But I think it's safe to say that was only because Decade was the first Anniversary show and Shinkenger and W happened to air next to it.

NeonZ

But I think it's safe to say that was only because Decade was the first Anniversary show and Shinkenger and W happened to air next to it.

I don't think W would have kept the ratings up for an entire year just due to Decade. OOO pretty quickly went into free fall mode after starting with ratings as high as W's.

Top Bottom