• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
so the footage of gokaiger, but with the goseiger suits as the core? then what the hell is the point?

WillyFive

so the footage of gokaiger, but with the goseiger suits as the core? then what the hell is the point?

The only way I imagine this working is that they have the Goseiger suits Gokai Change into the other suits; since the Megaforce morpher toy can call out the names of past Rangers like the Mobirates did. Then I imagine the Ranger Keys would be used by Gokai Silver.

Parallax

The only way I imagine this working is that they have the Goseiger suits Gokai Change into the other suits; since the Megaforce morpher toy can call out the names of past Rangers like the Mobirates did. Then I imagine the Ranger Keys would be used by Gokai Silver.

so then what would be the point in even using the gokaiger suits at all? give them all mobirates and omit the gokai costumes altogether. i wouldnt mind there being a secondary gokai cast to subvent all these odd changes

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I can see how Hiromu is unlikeable but honestly I actually like his no-nonsense character and that he came from being a dick to being cooperative throughout the show.

Doggie, more backstory has been given to each individual member of Kyoryuger in 4 episodes than the core three Go-Busters got in half a year. And each Kyoryuger has a different backstory too, unlike Go-Busters. Even the least developed Kyoryuger, Amy, at this point has more nuance to her story than Yoko did, which even after the show ended her entire story was literally "Red made a promise to me, Jin may have had an affair with my mother, and I want to go to school one day."

I disagree on that part. See, that's your typical sentai stuff - they give all the details on single episode. All development, all backstory, bam. We take it for granted. It's not like how GB handled it were they are dispersed throughout the whole season rather than being stuck in a single episode. Her whole aspect was pretty much growing up and trying to fit herself on the responsibilities of growing up. When you mention those things, you only mentioned the episodes that focused on her but ignore the nuanced aspects of her character like being less selfish, being more open towards others, being less of a dick towards Hiromu, etc.

Parallax

But who is on first?

just have them be an allied team or something. and they have to work together to get the ranger keys....

fuck this shit is confusing. why the hell didnt saban get the disney writers to help even this shit out? cheap bastard

WillyFive

I disagree on that part. See, that's your typical sentai stuff - they give all the details on single episode. All development, all backstory, bam. We take it for granted. It's not like how GB handled it were they are dispersed throughout the whole season rather than being stuck in a single episode. Her whole aspect was pretty much growing up and trying to fit herself on the responsibilities of growing up. When you mention those things, you only mentioned the episodes that focused on her but ignore the nuanced aspects of her character like being less selfish, being more open towards others, being less of a dick towards Hiromu, etc.

What Go-Busters tried was very commendable, and I agree in that their approach was a great alternative to the usual Sentai storytelling; but the problem was that the actual Go-Busters characters weren't good enough to deserve attention like that. They were shallow and unlikable characters, and learning about them over time did not help at all with them; in fact, it put even more pressure in what we knew about them at any one time, which was next to nothing.

There simply wasn't enough material to spread across the entire show.

Slayven

What Go-Busters tried was very commendable, and I agree in that their approach was a great alternative to the usual Sentai storytelling; but the problem was that the actual Go-Busters characters weren't good enough to deserve attention like that. They were shallow and unlikable characters, and learning about them over time did not help at all with them; in fact, it put even more pressure in what we knew about them at any one time, which was next to nothing.

Didn't help that the writers seemed to give up 1/3rd why through the series.

fmpanda

I wouldn't say as much give up, things were steaming along like all of Kobayashi's recent shows, you intro the main characters, have them piddling along while distracted by a energetic newcomer, then rush everything to the max in the last few episodes. I think that unlike when she pulled this stuff off in OOO, there were no hot toy sales to hide her lackluster writing. Also, yeah, the above is a formula in most Rider/Sentai shows today, mainly because she helped create it.

Slayven

I wouldn't say as much give up, things were steaming along like all of Kobayashi's recent shows, you intro the main characters, have them piddling along while distracted by a energetic newcomer, then rush everything to the max in the last few episodes. I think that unlike when she pulled this stuff off in OOO, there were no hot toy sales to hide her lackluster writing. Also, yeah, the above is a formula in most Rider/Sentai shows today, mainly because she helped create it.
Escaped was so wasted.

WillyFive

Escaped was so wasted.

A lot of things in the show seemed to burn out before reaching what they intended. They made Blue and Escape have this rivalry that ultimately went nowhere. They introduced the super modes and that giant mecha that could only form in the base as a way to allow them to survive in Hyperspace (it was shown that Hyperspace is deadly to people before the retool), but they rushed the Hyperspace storyline before the super mode debut and made them mostly pointless, and they made the characters be able to survive Hyperspace even without being morphed. They also got rid of the Enetron storyline as well, because no one cared about that apparently.

Oh well, the fanart is still cool:

tumblr_mjvh0xoWyj1rcw8ibo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mi4wx8GTV81qczg7jo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mhcfq1gWOa1qgtna0o1_500.jpg

Could go for an expanded universe Sentai anime. The Jetman sequel manga was nice, I wish I could see it in motion (and color).

Anyway, Gokaiger is now airing in China.

Boss Doggie

I dunno. Maybe I guess I enjoyed the three because we did learn stuff about them. You know their struggles are evident. At some point they do rehash some plots (oh Morishita and his usefulness angst), but otherwise I thought they were handled pretty okay. I mean, the only character I can understand being hated on was Yoko and maybe Hiromu (although I thought I liked Hiromu's douchebaggery). I guess most of my displeasure is that people favor dumb, flashy, in-your-face stuff. Hell, I bet it's the reason why people can't watch much of the 80's Sentai.

But eh, the only really thing I dislike on toku fanbase is calling Jin and J as "Poochies". Somehow they completely miss the point of the two... and hey, what kind of heartless person would hate J?

Kobayashi's problem is that she does first 1/3 and last 1/3 well, but suffers from 2/3 of the series. This is apparent in Shinkenger. However she somehow picks slack in GoBusters because of apparently the "retool" (less filler for some odd reason and managed to make a mini-climax) even though I don't believe it exists.

Escaped was so wasted.

I don't think so. If anything she "seemed" wasted but I thought she was surprisingly used properly. Especially at the last stretch.

A lot of things in the show seemed to burn out before reaching what they intended. They made Blue and Escape have this rivalry that ultimately went nowhere. They introduced the super modes and that giant mecha that could only form in the base as a way to allow them to survive in Hyperspace (it was shown that Hyperspace is deadly to people before the retool), but they rushed the Hyperspace storyline before the super mode debut and made them mostly pointless, and they made the characters be able to survive Hyperspace even without being morphed. They also got rid of the Enetron storyline as well, because no one cared about that apparently.

See here's my problem with that post - people think those plot aspects were "dropped". But then, try looking at the plot again.

Enter stopped needing Enetron because Messiah's goal has shifted after being destroyed for the first time. There wasn't a need for a surplus of Enetron anymore. And again, it's not like Enter didn't steal anything back then. Same with hyperspace - yeah at first it felt abrupt. But then that was the point - it showed how bleak the place was. Yeah the goal seemed too early back then, but the whole thing fits - it seemed like they have finished their fight, but it just got started because Enter still exists. It was made to make Enter's goal move. Same with the Escape "rivalry". Because people are used to Sentai tropes they think what they see is what they get. I honestly think the show handled Escape properly as a "tool". She was never meant to be Enter!Girl. She was made as a tool, and she lived as a tool.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
And now for some choice comments from the Japanese fandom on Go-busters courtesy of Futaba Channel (think something close to 4chan if you're not familiar with it).

"When Enter became the final boss was when the show was doomed for failure."

"I said the same thing when it came to Gekiranger's Long."

"Honestly, I don't even blame Kobayashi."

"Yeah, why did they stop worrying about the enetron problems half way through the show?"

"Honestly, I have more investment in Kyoryuger than I did in last year's show."

"Guys chill, it's a kid show."

"The entire series should have been Pink Buster, Gavan and J going on misadventures."

Also at one point someone wonders if Enertron only powers Japan and if the rest of the world would invade to get it. :lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Hopper Brothers in Kabuto...I don't know whether or not they're really cool with the edgy black suits, or just really stupid. :p

PunchHopper and KickHopper, the suits themselves, are delightfully simple and sleek though.

Wiseblade

"When Enter became the final boss was when the show was doomed for failure." is the realest Go-Buster talk I've ever seen. Enter was interesting as a second in command, but when he simply wasn't threatening enough to carry the whole show by himself.

And for all of your "Hiromu became a team player!" talk, he still ran off to commit suicide by himself because he didn't trust the rest of the team to do it.

Boss Doggie

Apparently TMNT spotted in Megaforce?

And now for some choice comments from the Japanese fandom on Go-busters courtesy of Futaba Channel (think something close to 4chan if you're not familiar with it).

Also at one point someone wonders if Enertron only powers Japan and if the rest of the world would invade to get it. :lol

You know 2ch is pretty stupid when they think Gavan is the best of the show! And as much as I like Pink Buster, she was a terrible one-shot.

"When Enter became the final boss was when the show was doomed for failure." is the realest Go-Buster talk I've ever seen. Enter was interesting as a second in command, but when he simply wasn't threatening enough to carry the whole show by himself.

And for all of your "Hiromu became a team player!" talk, he still ran off to commit suicide by himself because he didn't trust the rest of the team to do it.

See, Enter being the lead was pretty much only contained in the last stretch towards the end. And unlike some shit pulled like Basco, at least his ascension made sense. It wasn't some shit like "lol look at me I am such a badass I can pull shit like this". While he's no Radiguet (and no villain could match Radiguet), he managed to actually keep his plans actually working and managed to go very far.

And he wasn't going to commit suicide. He was expecting the team to go there - however he wanted to make sure that there's no turning back from it. Enter of course is one step ahead of him.

Mega yellow is adorable and one of the few times in my memory that I notice girl got some bust in pr. Or maybe I'm a pervert now.

Speaking of china gokaigers, I remember buying sentai toys when I used to live there a decade ago. Had a bootleg thunder megazord that worked kinda.

Didn't china have there own sentai show? I remember someone posting a trailer here.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well finished Kabuto, now I'm on to Ryuki.

This is the oldest series I've watched so far, and the older style they used when filming (the type where the frame-rate matches "real life") kind of weirds me out, but I find the early-2000 CG to be pretty charming. Man, I know these shows are low budget, but they look far better than the CG I've seen in primetime American live-action shows like LOST and such.

The Space Sheriff Gavan The Movie sure was much ado about nothing, huh? I was tempted to post futuramaneutrals.jpg as my reaction because primarily I had no strong feelings one way or the other, neither really disliking it or emphatically enjoying it but instead I have to ponder what the point of Sharivan and Shaider in the film was. They had barely more presence than a previous Rider in one of the massive team ups. "Oh hey guys here we are oh wait we're gone now." Was it just seeding potential spin off movies in case this one did well? As it is they just feel like a waste of screen time and a cool dude like Iwanaga.

I didn't really dislike the movie and I can think of worse ways to 80 minutes but I can see why it bombed the way it did.

Boss Doggie

Well it became good once original Gavan appeared. Should've been really about him.

So which is worse, Mega Force or Samurai?

Well it became good once original Gavan appeared.

I dunno. I appreciated his presence, but it felt like that was the "fuck it, we need to get this thing done with, have the protagonist get over his doubts after being stomped by his predecessor and just run over the villains" moment and the movie just stopped giving a shit and wanted to be over after that.

Should've been really about him.

If the goal was to reinvigorate Metal Heroes (which it surely must have been) it was important to have new blood be the focus. They could have integrated Ohba better as a mentor figure but with this being a new start for the franchise in mind it couldn't center on him.

It's much of a muchness to me. One's a carbon copy of Shinkenger, the other a (spiritual if not entirely literal) copy of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Both have cute Yellows. Neither is particularly interesting or engaging.

Wiseblade

At least Megaforce isn't just a straight translation of the sentai. Samurai is just a worse version of Shinkenger.

Megaforce also has cuter girls

Maybe next time we can the a PR show that isn't desperately trying to cater to nostalgia!

vareon

The Space Sheriff Gavan The Movie sure was much ado about nothing, huh? I was tempted to post futuramaneutrals.jpg as my reaction because primarily I had no strong feelings one way or the other, neither really disliking it or emphatically enjoying it but instead I have to ponder what the point of Sharivan and Shaider in the film was. They had barely more presence than a previous Rider in one of the massive team ups. "Oh hey guys here we are oh wait we're gone now." Was it just seeding potential spin off movies in case this one did well? As it is they just feel like a waste of screen time and a cool dude like Iwanaga.

I didn't really dislike the movie and I can think of worse ways to 80 minutes but I can see why it bombed the way it did.

As someone who's neutral about the characters (I watched a few Gavan episodes back in the day, but never considered it a part of my childhood or something), the movie was pretty plain. Not even the original's appearance saved it. The Makuu stuff was fun though, because that's not something we see in today's toku. Also this might be the only movie I watched where the main villain is identifiable from the first frame he's in, lol.

At least Megaforce isn't just a straight translation of the sentai. Samurai is just a worse version of Shinkenger.

Megaforce also has cuter girls

Maybe next time we can the a PR show that isn't desperately trying to cater to nostalgia!
Go buster adaptation should hopefully be decent. Or different at the very least.

As someone who's neutral about the characters (I watched a few Gavan episodes back in the day, but never considered it a part of my childhood or something), the movie was pretty plain. Not even the original's appearance saved it. The Makuu stuff was fun though, because that's not something we see in today's toku. Also this might be the only movie I watched where the main villain is identifiable from the first frame he's in, lol.

I was likewise neutral (my only prior exposure to Gavan was in the Gokaiger vs Gavan movie), I just didn't feel anything from this film. I didn't really dislike it, there was just nothing that really grabbed me. The run around in Makuu Space, as you said, was kind of fun. Really liked Geki's goofing around with the "peace" girl when they first landed there.

Go buster adaptation should hopefully be decent. Or different at the very least.

Well from what we're hearing so far Super MegaForce will possibly be MMPRS2/3 levels of awful so at least we have that to "look forward" to.

Parallax

Well it became good once original Gavan appeared. Should've been really about him.

Samurai. Other than reds straight horrible acting, the characters are much better this time around.

Guys I've read your posts and I'm confused so Gokaigers are going to be in Megaforce in some capacity? So that means now stand alone series for them? Sounds like this stuff is in the air and we wait/see.

I was likewise neutral (my only prior exposure to Gavan was in the Gokaiger vs Gavan movie), I just didn't feel anything from this film. I didn't really dislike it, there was just nothing that really grabbed me. The run around in Makuu Space, as you said, was kind of fun. Really liked Geki's goofing around with the "peace" girl when they first landed there.

Well from what we're hearing so far Super MegaForce will possibly be MMPRS2/3 levels of awful so at least we have that to "look forward" to.
Can't wait. Lets see the level of editing in 2013.

Well finished Kabuto, now I'm on to Ryuki.

This is the oldest series I've watched so far, and the older style they used when filming (the type where the frame-rate matches "real life") kind of weirds me out, but I find the early-2000 CG to be pretty charming. Man, I know these shows are low budget, but they look far better than the CG I've seen in primetime American live-action shows like LOST and such.

What was your take away from Kabuto, Birdie?

WillyFive

So Megaforce is now on it's first break? Guess seven back-to-back episodes is a good run for Nickelodeon; but this means we have to wait longer until Goseiknight saves the show.

Guys I've read your posts and I'm confused so Gokaigers are going to be in Megaforce in some capacity? So that means now stand alone series for them? Sounds like this stuff is in the air and we wait/see.

What we're hearing from filming is straight-up nonsense. The Gokaiger suits are there, but the main characters still use the Goseiger suits, and no one has any idea what they're doing.

I was wondering why there wasn't an episode today. Maybe now Verizon can update their guide so it isn't called Super Samurai in the listings :p

So Megaforce is now on it's first break? Guess seven back-to-back episodes is a good run for Nickelodeon; but this means we have to wait longer until Goseiknight saves the show.

What we're hearing from filming is straight-up nonsense. The Gokaiger suits are there, but the main characters still use the Goseiger suits, and no one has any idea what they're doing.
Please oh please let them do shitty cuts like in mmpr2.

Beats let them ruin gokaiger somehow.

Actually it would be kinda badass if they had 2 teams somehow, or do entirely new footage.

Heck maybe personality changes.

The amount of new stuff in mega force is less than samurai, maybe they saving for season 2?

Wiseblade

Please oh please let them do shitty cuts like in mmpr2.

Beats let them ruin gokaiger somehow.

Actually it would be kinda badass if they had 2 teams somehow, or do entirely new footage.

Heck maybe personality changes.

The amount of new stuff in mega force is less than samurai, maybe they saving for season 2?

Yeah, but stuff like Mega Mode wasn't really worth the effort. It just meant they had to reshoot the cockpit scenes. Did the ever even use Mega Mode outside of the Megazord?

WillyFive

Well, Megaforce is a lot bigger production than Samurai was in terms of original content. Samurai was reluctant to do episodes without only Sentai footage for fights; but Megaforce routinely has fully original fight footage for almost every episode. Heck, the last episode's Megazord fight was MMPR S2's levels of editing; to avoid introducing a new Zord (Datas), they digitally cut that mecha from the entire fight, and using clips of the Megazord from a different episode to finish the shots.

Hopefully they were getting ready during filming of Megaforce to do something much more elaborate in Super Megaforce, which seems to be what they are doing.

Yeah, but stuff like Mega Mode wasn't really worth the effort. It just meant they had to reshoot the cockpit scenes. Did the ever even use Mega Mode outside of the Megazord?

They did
for the finale, but that was just the Red Ranger with Shogun Mode.

In other news, more Garo.

Top Bottom