• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

WillyFive

I still don't see why Toei didn't go the Kuuga route of rebooting Metal Heroes, instead of rehashing Gavan. Sure, they wanted to stick with the Space Sheriffs, but why not introduce a new Space Sheriff, instead of just using the Gavan suit again? The Gavan suit looks very dated (especially with those diapers), and the 'redesign' was just changing all the colored lights into a blue-ish hue. It was a wasted opportunity.

They made a Kou episode I didn't hate but then they introduced Kameo.

Stupid Yellow Owl

Speaking of which, KyoryuCyan is the first fat ranger in 22 years.

That was great. I see they have great taste.

shaowebb

I've got to have this Blade. Best Rider of all time.
tumblr_mloujcbsNY1qdahsbo1_500.jpg

I hope they do a King form as well.

Im currently watching Kamen Rider Blade. It may have been you who told me to watch it before and I only got to ep 3 or something on it and then never got back to it. Im up a few more episodes... maybe 6 or 7 now right as Garren is trying to get his shit together while Blade and Chalice throwdown as Neo jerks off to their computer readouts.

The series is way more dramatic than other Kamen Riders and uses different camera work. Feels really different, but I like how its written a lot so far. Plus Blade has a badass belt and blade in how they flip open and work. Really cool designs there. Hoping to get more into this one as I keep watching through it. I really dont enjoy the opening theme Blade Brave though...its really off the way she sings. Doesn't seem to harmonize with the music at all and its all whiny sounding to me after about the 40 second mark where she goes into the chorus and murdered something I was enjoying. Needs more Kabuto Next Level music.

fmpanda

Im currently watching Kamen Rider Blade. It may have been you who told me to watch it before and I only got to ep 3 or something on it and then never got back to it. Im up a few more episodes... maybe 6 or 7 now right as Garren is trying to get his shit together while Blade and Chalice throwdown as Neo jerks off to their computer readouts.

The series is way more dramatic than other Kamen Riders and uses different camera work. Feels really different, but I like how its written a lot so far. Plus Blade has a badass belt and blade in how they flip open and work. Really cool designs there. Hoping to get more into this one as I keep watching through it. I really dont enjoy the opening theme Blade Brave though...its really off the way she sings. Doesn't seem to harmonize with the music at all and its all whiny sounding to me after about the 40 second mark where she goes into the chorus and murdered something I was enjoying. Needs more Kabuto Next Level music.

They change OPs around halfway in, the 2nd one isn't so bad, matches up with the bromance better.

Tenumi

Banned
When Wizard first started airing, I figured I'd check it out, see if I can get myself into the Kamen Rider series. While I didn't think it was bad, it felt just kind of off to me, as far as meeting my interests. I think its more a preference of the big(ger) group vs single/small group.

jwk94

WE GOT LEO (Galaxy Red)!!!! WHOO!!!
3AQmK.gif

Reggie Rolle (Galaxy Green) also got invited but hasn't decided if he wants to go yet.

Valerie Landon (Formally Vernon aka Galaxy Pink 1) can't go because they didn't send out the invite far enough in advance so she could plan around it =/. She has kids though so that's cool. Now if they could get the rest of the Galaxy Rangers (including Karone) that'd be awesome.

http://www.rangercrew.com/forum/sho...egaforce-Pre-Discussion&p=1098532#post1098532

My god that's awkward. I wonder where he filmed that though....

Didn't really feel Akiba2 05. LOUD OBNOXIOUS AMERICANS feels below the usual level of writing for the series. They should've just steered clear of the subject of foreign adaptations if they couldn't handle it better than that. Plenty of Sentai history left to play with.

Dairanger ep 3

So I started watching this per recommendation, thank you guys. It's the right level of campy & plus that early 90s fashion ahaha.

Seriously though I like how it's out there but ground based as possible. The character so far seem to not stick to any trope their appear to be. I dont know but Daigo seems to be harping on the brooding schtick though.

I love how so far blue is low tier and green is right up there with red.

I don't remember which. It used to be on youtube, but Tsubaki shows up for the first time. Goes King mode and turns Decade into the Brooklyn Brawler.

You mean the ep where the original actor of Blade shows up from his universe and fights? Yeah it was ep 30 if I recall like Seraphis Cain said.

shaowebb

It was in the series. Episode 30 or 31, I forget which. I think 30.

You mean the ep where the original actor of Blade shows up from his universe and fights? Yeah it was ep 30 if I recall like Seraphis Cain said.

Shit...my first Kamen Rider series was Decade. I dont even remember anything about the Blade arc other than him being all "double ace" and making Blade cook lunches and become a deuce in the company ladder.

For some reason I cant remember anyone owning Decade except Apollo Geist and Kivara.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shit...my first Kamen Rider series was Decade. I dont even remember anything about the Blade arc other than him being all "double ace" and making Blade cook lunches and become a deuce in the company ladder.

For some reason I cant remember anyone owning Decade except Apollo Geist and Kivara.

It didn't happen in the Blade arc. It happened in the last episodes of the series. Like I said, it was either 30 or 31. Pretty sure it was 30, though Kenzaki was in both 30 and 31.

jwk94

It was technically in both. They started the fight at the end of 30 and finished it during the first few seconds of Ep 31. Tsukasa got his ass handed to him bad.

Is Gokaiger a good choice for my first real sentai?
have only watched MMPR & im currently loving Akibaranger.

Sure! You get a little about the respective sentai teams given it's an anniversary series. There's also enough of the cast where it's their own story & I think most of us here feel it's great all around.

gokaiger is great... but I think it works better if you've seen at least one of the previous sentai.

Same with akibaranger lol.

Universally loved sentai... of HD era, gekiranger, shinkenger, of the last 10 years.... dekaranger?

Kurita

Actually, Akibaranger was the first sentai I watched...
Then I watched Gokaiger, which is fantastic. The team is just perfect, I love all of them.

Tenumi

Banned
Is Gokaiger a good choice for my first real sentai?
have only watched MMPR & im currently loving Akibaranger.

I watched Gokaiger before any other sentai, and I loved it. It certainly does benefit from knowing more about the previous sentai, yes, but it stands on its own just fine.

not saying gokaiger isn't fine by itself... It just makes a great show even better if you've seen at least 1 or more other sentai :)

And it's not like it's the only good one. Tons of great sentai to watch.

Kamen Rider too.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Akiba can be fun without watching any previous sentai but you'll definitely not get as much out of it if it's your first exposure to the series. For example, in the very first episode after they transform they cut to the warehouse and a few seconds later Akagi mentions how it's a common sentai setting. If you've seen any sentai previously, the moment they cut to that warehouse you're either thinking "aw fuck the warehouse again" or subconsciously making a note of it, because it's so damn common. When Akagi talks about how it's a common setting, that's where the joke is because you've already thought that same exact thing. If you haven't seen any sentai before you'll have no context for that joke, you just have to accept what Akagi has said as fact and that's it. Little things like that throughout the show.

I do understand why people will start with Akiba though. It's nice and short and you can get by on the jokes that aren't references to sentai.

Akiba can be fun without watching any previous sentai but you'll definitely not get as much out of it if it's your first exposure to the series. For example, in the very first episode after they transform they cut to the warehouse and a few seconds later Akagi mentions how it's a common sentai setting. If you've seen any sentai previously, the moment they cut to that warehouse you're either thinking "aw fuck the warehouse again" or subconsciously making a note of it, because it's so damn common. When Akagi talks about how it's a common setting, that's where the joke is because you've already thought that same exact thing. If you haven't seen any sentai before you'll have no context for that joke, you just have to accept what Akagi has said as fact and that's it. Little things like that throughout the show.

I do understand why people will start with Akiba though. It's nice and short and you can get by on the jokes that aren't references to sentai.
I actually just wanted to watch for the comedy because I hadn't ever cared for Sentai or about Power Rangers since MMPR ended.
but now its giving me a respect for sentai and I definitely want to watch some now.
latest episode made me want to rewatch MMPR for some Tommy action.

also went from not owning a Ranger figure since I was 5 to ordering the figuarts
MMPR Green, S1 Akiba Red, S1 Akiba Blue(hate new Blue) S2 Akiba yellow.
considering getting White but I just never liked it as much as Green.

WillyFive

Saw Fourze x Wizard Ultimatum. Fourze part was great, I wish it was the whole movie; Wizard part felt like it went on for too long, despite being the same length. They really let Sakamoto loose on this one though, probably too much (there were way too many backflips and pervert shots for my liking), but it was pretty good as a whole.

Not as good as Megamax, but much better than Core.

The unmorphed action scenes are a thing of beauty though. Have a gif:

ibu9ywWYpoekLy.gif

Yeah well it hasn't been subbed yet so I can't

TV-N is pretty much the Toku way for hazing someone into your group, since there is no other choice for a lot of shows.

But yeah, I recommend Shinkenger and Gokaiger as beginner shows. They are so great, you'll want more; which makes you want to explore other series.

Top Bottom