• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

WillyFive

I saw the first two episodes of Cartoon Network's English dub for Kabuto, it was awful. They used the same tone other dub studios use when dubbing anime and Asian movies; making all the characters sound either incredibly dull or incredibly campy.

half way through lightspeed rescue. i like the saturday morning cartoon feel. very light and fun. i think i have a new favorite yellow ranger too.

its a great show imo. Carter is a weak red, but the whole military organization thing works. I always do find it hilarious that the lightspeed megazord seems to destroy more of the city than help prevent damage. Such a cool combination sequence with some nicely detailed models too.

WillyFive

Go-Busters coming to South Korea this year as Power Rangers Go-Bursters.

tumblr_mo4zlwqVnr1s273dpo1_500.jpg

Yeah, Bursters.

There's 11. You're forgetting the most important one of all. Kyoryu Silver.

tumblr_mfn93bWChA1r9d47lo1_500.png

He's going to own that teamup.

But yeah, I forgot about Bragigas. Also, I thinkTurbo: A Power Rangers Movie is one of the worst movies ever made.

What I've seen of the Kabuto dub seems okay for karate bugmen. I'd probably watch that instead of TV-N if the rips we have were better video quality.

Like I said in the Nostalgia Critic thread, the Turbo movie's more boring as shit than anything. It's got a few things going for it in Jason and Divatox, though.

kunonabi

its a great show imo. Carter is a weak red, but the whole military organization thing works. I always do find it hilarious that the lightspeed megazord seems to destroy more of the city than help prevent damage. Such a cool combination sequence with some nicely detailed models too.

carter is very much the prototypical hero/leader type which i find refreshing after how up and down the red rangers have been post jason.

jwk94

1044847_575595032479721_1828663953_n.jpg

Turbo A Power Rangers Movie: In the original script Adam and Tanya take off to battle underwater to try and save Kimberly and Jason but get their suits destroyed in the fight. I remember reading "Adam comes out of the water with a shredded suit". We started filming some scenes to lead to it but then it was cut from the script...bummer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=575595032479721&l=c9aafd1cb3

Interesting. Would have loved to see that happen.

Well, I'd rather the Turbo movie had more stuff about cars, but that's just me.

Yeah, it's weird that there weren't any chase scenes or a race or anything. There's some really cool stuff you could do with car zords in a big movie, instead the antagonist is a space pirate in a submarine and the Rangers sit around on a ship.

it's still infinitely better than anything post-Time Force.

Are you high, son? The first few years of Disney and RPM is pretty much the height of the series.

That's not a Turbo slam, mind, it's a Saban slam generally.

Are you high, son? The first few years of Disney and RPM is pretty much the height of the series.

That's not a Turbo slam, mind, it's a Saban slam generally.

I totally disagree. :p RPM is SO wildly over rated. It would have been better if it wasn't Power Rangers. It was somewhat enjoyable out of suit but once they morphed it was painful to watch.

Apart from the strong characterisation and dash of humour, I like RPM so much because it kind of exemplified what Power Rangers should be to me. Not dark or edgy or whatever, just different from the Sentai. As much of its own thing as possible while still constructed from the base elements provided by the Japanese series.

RPM and Go-Onger are both fantastic yet complete polar opposites.

Apart from the strong characterisation and dash of humour, I like RPM so much because it kind of exemplified what Power Rangers should be to me. Not dark or edgy or whatever, just different from the Sentai. As much of its own thing as possible while still constructed from the base elements provided by the Japanese series.

RPM and Go-Onger are both fantastic yet complete polar opposites.

But it doesn't have to be. It doesn't have to be the same OR different. Look at Time Force. Almost identical to Timeranger but still fantastic. It's about the effort put into the show, the cast, sound, all that jazz. Both shows have their pluses and one is a Sentai shadow and the other tries as hard as possible to be as different as possible. I just hated the action in RPM and when you're talking about a PR series, that's kind of a deal breaker.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
As someone who just watched and loved Go-Onger, how do they exactly work that into a "serious" Power Rangers?

Most of the Banki Beasts were pretty bizarre and goofy, like Straw and Balloon Banki. Then you have the cartoony-animal mechas.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, I wonder why they spent a whole lot of time in the boat and didn't promote their merch, and suddenly everyone can't into Zeo.

I totally disagree. :p RPM is SO wildly over rated. It would have been better if it wasn't Power Rangers. It was somewhat enjoyable out of suit but once they morphed it was painful to watch.

Well shit o_O

Disney seasons have been awesome. Only shit it has really are three - Wild Force, Mystic Force, and Operation Overdrive. Then there's the kinda meh Jungle Fury which is not good but not bad.

But seriously, you just said Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, SPD and RPM as crap?!

Tenumi

Banned
To me, it doesn't matter how close to the Sentai Power Rangers gets because, well, they are made for two completely different audiences. I know some will say they're both for children, but while that is true, its also true that the market difference between American Children and Japanese Children is a very real thing.

Trust me, I'm not saying this because I like Power Rangers. I like Super Sentai as well. I just realize that they're intended for two different groups.

Watch Da Birdie

Man, Go-Buster Blue overheating was pretty intense. 0.o

I kind of felt weird how they swept it under the rug with a "it's who I am!" at the end, because, damn, he almost smashed that girl's face in.

Don't forget changing the entire story, literally only leaving the Zord fights (RPM is almost entirely done with original fight footage).

Well, a lot of the Disney seasons did that, and more so the later into the Disney era you go. Not very cost effective when you care less and less about producing a show.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Man, Go-Buster Blue overheating was pretty intense. 0.o

I kind of felt weird how they swept it under the rug with a "it's who I am!" at the end, because, damn, he almost smashed that girl's face in.

beast ryuuji was one of my favorite aspects of go busters. the moment he overheats, shit gets real

Turbo was such a mess...yet when you look back at it, it's still infinitely better than anything post-Time Force.

no. no it wasnt. not even close. as much of a mess as mystic force, operation overdrive, and to a lesser extent, jungle fury were, they werent touched by the horribleness of turbo. turbo picks up after they drop the original cast, but the damage had already been done.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To me, it doesn't matter how close to the Sentai Power Rangers gets because, well, they are made for two completely different audiences. I know some will say they're both for children, but while that is true, its also true that the market difference between American Children and Japanese Children is a very real thing.

Trust me, I'm not saying this because I like Power Rangers. I like Super Sentai as well. I just realize that they're intended for two different groups.

It's a culture thing really. They both have the same idea of merchandise-show, but they should have a different approach in a sense.

Some of the unmorphed fights in RPM were pretty fun. The one in the park around the play equipment and with the pram comes to mind.

Sakamoto!

iirc his wife was even shown in one episode, I think it was Ranger Green? It was with the fight featuring a baby in a stroller (!)

don't remember much of the turbo movie but that original movie footage combination sequence was neat with the super detailed models.

Remember when shit wasn't cg? Well it seems like sentai combinations seem to alternate between models and crappy cg.

Really curious if kyourger will have a ultrazord clusterfuck thing by the end.

WillyFive

At first they were always models (since CGI was expensive for a TV show), with some shows like Jetman and Kakuranger experimenting with animated effects, but starting with Megaranger and Gingaman, they started using CGI models, and by Abaranger their gattai sequences were entirely done with CGI. However, they wanted to go retro with Dekaranger and started using models again and it became on-and-off for the rest of the decade.

Honestly, I loved the CGI of Timeranger, Gaoranger, Hurricanger, and Abaranger; it felt intense and eye-popping. But nowadays the CGI is so bad (it seems they haven't improved at all since that time), that I'd rather see models done. Although Kyoryuger is getting better with CGI, just last year's Go-Busters had unbearable CGI for mecha.

Also, Kyoryuger doesn't seem like one who will have the combine-everything mecha this year; since each Ranger has either one of two types of Zords, a humanoid mecha (Red, Gold, Deathryuger, Violet) and an arm mecha (Blue, Pink, Green, Black, Cyan, Grey). I don't know what Silver's mech is going to be like, but I doubt it will allow the humanoid mechs to combine somehow.

Watch Da Birdie

I always thought the CG in Tokusatsu was surprisingly "good"...I mean, nothing mind-blowing, but for their budget and compared to what I see in American shows, it's tolerable.

Like, even the Mirror Monsters in Ryuki I thought looked pretty good for 2003.

I always thought the CG in Tokusatsu was surprisingly "good"...I mean, nothing mind-blowing, but for their budget and compared to what I see in American shows, it's tolerable.

Like, even the Mirror Monsters in Ryuki I thought looked pretty good for 2003.

But compared to other toku like Garo and Rescue Fire... there is something to be desired.

I think CG is fine for more fantastical megazord stuff, but for the sentai series that are tech based, it makes slightly more sense for me as if it was model based lol.

you know, kyoruger ultrazord would be dope if they go asura style with multiple arms. Each arm does seem to have its own weapon so it could be a weapon steamroll style finisher.

Tomica Heroes is a fair comparison, Garo not so much considering it only has half the episode count.

The thing about Rider and Ranger stuff generally is that, running nearly every week for a year their budget has to be stretched super thin. Even using stock footage and effects-lite episodes and stuff, there's only so much money to go around when you're cranking out 50 episodes in a year.

Watch Da Birdie

That thread in OT about the dude complaining about English in Japan made me wonder, do the little kids that Sentai and Rider is aimed at even understand the random non-Japanese phrases thrown into the show?

Top Bottom