• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Platy

i5WTZEMv8dWwu.gif

I like that TVN just went straight to the DC version of the movie. The movie itself is not as good as Megamax, but better than stuff like Core. Wizard part dragged on but had the best fights.

OMFG PATRINE !

Saw this and Jiraya till my eyes bleed when I was very little

jwk94

Felt so disgusted with Wizard I went back and watched some more Blade...

v8u3VZU.jpg

...and episode 14 was better in one episode than most of the entirety of Wizard combined (Grendel and Phoenix are in a league of their own and their special 2 parters will always be great.)

It was the episode where brainwashed roid raged Tachibana (Garren) beat the Category Ace then came off the drug to break his mind control. Then Sayako died and that was all for his love interest and everything for his character to FINALLY get over his fears and start kicking ass on his own without the drugs. Show is fucking great.
The ending still makes me mad.

jwk94

Akibaranger fell off yet again. Season 1's ending was better than Season 2's though. Surprised at the last scene in Season 2, however. I didn't expect that. Episodes 12 and 13 are up on TVN.

WillyFive

ibuZP1apINnQNo.gif

That's why he's the boss.

Both Kyoryuger and Wizard had good eps this week. Nice seeing a Kamen Rider show with more than two Riders again too; especially when they are fighting each other. Reminds me of Ryuki.

Novid

Banned
ibuZP1apINnQNo.gif

That's why he's the boss.

Both Kyoryuger and Wizard had good eps this week. Nice seeing a Kamen Rider show with more than two Riders again too; especially when they are fighting each other. Reminds me of Ryuki.

well...damn japan. im...impressed.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Looking at kamen rider catmooks costume. As a whole I dont mind it, but the helm looks like paper mache, instead of the cut gem look of white wizard

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Watched Go-Busters return, thought it was great. Almost considered watching Go-Busters just for J

J's background antics are pretty damn awesome. Gobusters also has a very good villain

goddamn! beast busters has a hotblooded ryuuji? why the hell didnt we get this one the damn show?

NeonZ

Think they would be an uproar if the Kamen Rider The Next crew showed up in a movie?

Only if it were replacing the original Riders. Pull a Skyrider (who was originally called just "Kamen Rider") and rename them to Kamen Rider Hoppers 1,2 and V3 and I don't think anyone would complain.

WillyFive

J's background antics are pretty damn awesome. Gobusters also has a very good villain

goddamn! beast busters has a hotblooded ryuuji? why the hell didnt we get this one the damn show?

I think this movie was their way of saying that this is what Toei wanted them to make, but forgot to say why they shouldn't have gone with it.

The real TV show did indeed have a ton of great ideas, I wish they had used them more.

NeonZ

I think this movie was their way of saying that this is what Toei wanted them to make, but forgot to say why they shouldn't have gone with it.

I think it was more like a:" IS THIS what you wanted Go-Buster to BE?! Is it?!" to the audience, since it was mostly made out of various Sentai cliches and Go-Busters was apparently disliked for being too different (even though it really wasn't).

The real TV show did indeed have a ton of great ideas, I wish they had used them more.
So much potential. I enjoyed like everything about the show except the lead 3.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
When has J never been a star?

I wish he was a Pokemon trainer and a character in Animal Crossing.

WillyFive

O-T translated Kyoryuger 19's Debo Monster name from Kawaiin to Kewtie?

... I don't know about that..

Kawaii = cute, so it seems a pretty straightforward one to me. Bestial Battery however is a bit out there, but both words does mean the same thing as Dobutso Sentai, so I can't really fault it.

Go-Busters Returns was great. That Black Puma outfit looked great

That Akibaranger Season 2 Ending.
Ending Spoilers
Season 3 please you can't let it end with them dead

vareon

Wizard 41

This took its sweet-ass time to get the plot actually moving. So now we know they need to find one more wizard for some reason. We have three parties of Haruto & co (of not doing nothing until a phantom inevitably show up), the White Wizard, and Wiseman. Will Mayu hold her power until the series' end? Doesn't seem so considering the track record of girl riders. Things are also getting interesting on the police side, too.

Yet here we are with another episode of Koyomi doing absolutely nothing but faints.

shaowebb

Wizard 41

This took its sweet-ass time to get the plot actually moving. So now we know they need to find one more wizard for some reason. We have three parties of Haruto & co (of not doing nothing until a phantom inevitably show up), the White Wizard, and Wiseman. Will Mayu hold her power until the series' end? Doesn't seem so considering the track record of girl riders. Things are also getting interesting on the police side, too.

Yet here we are with another episode of Koyomi doing absolutely nothing but faints.

Sort of reminds me how in Kamen Rider Den-O the plot never really had anything till the very end for the main rider. Except Den-O was more fun, the lead had more development, and the secondary Rider Zeronos was FAR more compelling in how his power was a threat to him.

Lots of similarities to Den O's recipe, but far worse execution because the lead character never developed along with most of the cast. In Den O it was mostly the core plot that never moved till the end, but it had plenty of other developments to carry it through till then at least.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Kawaii = cute, so it seems a pretty straightforward one to me. Bestial Battery however is a bit out there, but both words does mean the same thing as Dobutso Sentai, so I can't really fault it.

Let me put this out there: I'm not actually complaining, i'm just expressing my opinions. I'm tired of every time I point something out (obviously not here), whoever is making the release gets pissed at me. That's a common scenario down here in Brazil and, because of that, I usually don't help as much people as I could (I know a thing or two about video encoding, but most of the people I point something out wrong in their encode, they flip out on me).

With that out of the way, lemme expose my unpopular opinion:

I think all translations are bad (when it comes to appreciating the original material) - they change the original meaning of what the creator wanted. I also think translating names are bad.

Don't get me wrong: By definition, a good translation has to be an adaptation, there's no way around it. You have to adapt things from one language to the other, so the people that only have one language's perspective can understand what is being said. That's why I think, in Kyoryuger's case, Nossan jokes and puns being translated are quite good and necessary: You wouldn't get the meaning of them without that, because we don't have the perspective of the Japanse language and/or culture necessary to get them.

However, I don't think that names should be translated. It always freaks me out when somebody says a monster name and something completely different is written down. And sometimes they're straight up bad translations (for instance, "Zandar Thunder Rest Asunder" and "Let's get ready to rumblade", imo). Sadly, I don't have enough Japanese knowledge to assess those translations. They just sound wrong, tbh. I don't think DoGold would say something as "let's get ready to rumblade" ever.

When a show is based on catchphrases and puns, it gets a little harder to deal with it. But I still think that names (characters or attacks) shouldn't be adapted. Kawaiin should be called Kawaiin.

I do understand that we're talking about a TV Show made for children (so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things), but I still think the "translation is adaptation" applies.

Fake Edit: these views are, certainly, colored by decades of bad translations in my country (Brazil), where, sometimes, words are translated to similar sounding words, even though they have different meanings (Silicon - Silício, in PTBR - being translated for Silicone - also Silicone, in PTBR - for instance.)

If a name conveys meaning to the audience it should be translated. People watching on a Sunday morning in Japan are getting "cute" from Kawaiin so the English language version should be changed to something that retains that meaning. It doesn't "freak me out" when a name is said and it doesn't match with the subtitles because surprise, that's happening with literally everything else that's being said. Even if you don't think character names should be translated, there's no reason attack names shouldn't be if they convey any kind of meaning or understanding.

Then again I'm the kind of person that wouldn't care if Sakura, Usagi and Sora were called Blossom, Bunny and Sky (English words that have the same meaning and are also used as names) though so I realise I'm in the minority regarding how much localisation I accept.

We are old and spoiled.

Most of the public this is directed at, doesn't really care.

I know I care but at the same time don't, and just enjoy the show.

WillyFive

The more I understand the sub and the closer it is to the meaning, I'm happy. I don't mind at all what Over-time is doing, because they are going the extra step of translating us what is going on in various levels; instead of just leaving it as a translator note at the top of the screen. I watched Shinkenger, Gekiranger, and Magiranger with subs like that; and it still flabbergasts me how much I missed from the first watch-through.

Also, this piece of fanart always gets me:

tumblr_mfpguyVECu1qkbixwo1_500.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The more I understand the sub and the closer it is to the meaning, I'm happy. I don't mind at all what Over-time is doing, because they are going the extra step of translating us what is going on in various levels; instead of just leaving it as a translator note at the top of the screen. I watched Shinkenger, Gekiranger, and Magiranger with subs like that; and it still flabbergasts me how much I missed from the first watch-through.

THat's exactly what I'm saying: Translator Notes are the wrong way to translate something. If you're translating, you should be able to give the idea of what the word/phrase is without having to add notes. That's why translating is adapting.

I still just think that names should not be translated. :D

WillyFive

I still just think that names should not be translated. :D

I suppose a good way of doing it is to show both on screen; for example when it says Kyoryujin, have (Dinogod) in parenthesis under it; but it would get annoying if the name gets repeated often (like a villain name).

Chucker

I finally found a Legacy Megazord, and it was sitting on a shelf in the back of my TRU for $20.

Scooped it with the quickness.
BOcScBVCUAAujtJ.jpg

Novid

Banned
I was thinking - if Pacific Rim becomes a cult classic, how Japan gonna respond. Theyre only 3 or so good CGI people down there and the fucking ratings are tanking for Sentai. Im not saying go all the way like Pacific, but yall see the anime thread and there use of CGI... no way no how.

Top Bottom