• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
j57I9dKU0Fmu7.png

jwk94

It truly is awesome

Man, I just finished it. I wouldn't mind if they retconned Go-Busters and re-did it with the AU story. That was fantastic. Green's death was so abrupt and hilarious. Kurorin sporting a Hitler outfit was surprising. What's up with Sentai and Hitler? This is the second time I've seen them do a Hitler reference.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm catching up on Akibaranger, so I'm on Season 2 and as I get to to episode 8...

They remade Buba's Death Scene from Changeman. And they didn't half ass it, they made it pretty nice, with special effects and everything. As if I needed any more convincing that Akibaranger is amazing.

WillyFive

I like how the Akibarangers ended up fighting using the tropes and knowledge at their disposal. Despite having very little arsenal, they can win fights by simply knowing the formula of a fight and manipulating it. The part about
Right defeating Left
blew my mind.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Scans for Bragigas are out there.

Looks bulky but I like it's standing form.

Final Kyoryuzin form looks like Decade Complete

Kyoryu Silver's chest plate thing is yellowish so I guessing he'll join with them and isn't dead.

his gun thing is colored like Torin

Slayven

Scans for Bragigas are out there.

Looks bulky but I like it's standing form.

Final Kyoryuzin form looks like Decade Complete

Kyoryu Silver's chest plate thing is yellowish so I guessing he'll join with them and isn't dead.

his gun thing is colored like Torin

Is he an old man like the Brachio from Abaranger?

Sentai has always had problems with Brachios.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm curious, is there any legal reason why Saban doesn't release the Sentai series here?

Here being the states.

I don't think there's anything stopping them from doing Sentai sets if they wanted, they probably just don't think it's worth it. It'd be a very niche product and probably wouldn't justify the cost/introduced market confusion.

Tenumi

Banned
I don't think there's anything stopping them from doing Sentai sets if they wanted, they probably just don't think it's worth it. It'd be a very niche product and probably wouldn't justify the cost/introduced market confusion.

Pretty much. Subbed shows don't get ratings, and Dubbed Sentai just...wouldn't work. Anything past Zyuranger would provide consumer confusion with Power Rangers. The cost of production just wouldn't be made up by the demand.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Pretty much. Subbed shows don't get ratings, and Dubbed Sentai just...wouldn't work. Anything past Zyuranger would provide consumer confusion with Power Rangers. The cost of production just wouldn't be made up by the demand.

Ratings?
I was thinking a DVD release.

But yeah, it would cause consumer confusion...
They could release official subs on Hulu or something.

Tenumi

Banned
Ratings?
I was thinking a DVD release.

But yeah, it would cause consumer confusion...
They could release official subs on Hulu or something.

Yeah, my mind went to the questions the Toonami Staff always answers about "why don't you air subbed anime".

Official Subs on Hulu would be nice, as long as they aren't TV-Nihon style subs.

Slayven

Any questions on why Saban doesn't do this or that, are easily answered.

They cheap, and the profit potential is too small for them.

WillyFive

Also, one reason places like Crunchyroll doesn't put up stuff like Rider and Sentai (despite old shows already having official dubs, including some new Rider ones) is due to licensing fees for actors. Apparently they are significant for a market as big as the US, so they don't want to bother.

I also imagine Saban cooked something up to make sure some other company can't just take the Sentai and air it as a competitor to Power Rangers.

I also imagine Saban cooked something up to make sure some other company can't just take the Sentai and air it as a competitor to Power Rangers.

I remember reading that someone was planning on doing a pre-Zyu Sentai release so Disney bought the footage out from under them to prevent it. I imagine everything else is covered in the Power Rangers licensing agreement.

Tenumi

Banned

To be fair, I think the profit potential would be too small for most companies. Like it or not, the non-japanese Toku fanbase isn't exactly the largest or vocalist out there.

isny

napkin dispenser

This is probably the most obvious answer. Super Sentai, and Power Rangers, are still around for one reason, to sell merch, and Toei isn't going to produce Sentai merch and sell it alongside PR merch.

Chucker

I like how the Akibarangers ended up fighting using the tropes and knowledge at their disposal. Despite having very little arsenal, they can win fights by simply knowing the formula of a fight and manipulating it. The part about
Right defeating Left
blew my mind.

I almost did a spit-take at that. Ending made me
sad
though.

Slayven

Also, one reason places like Crunchyroll doesn't put up stuff like Rider and Sentai (despite old shows already having official dubs, including some new Rider ones) is due to licensing fees for actors. Apparently they are significant for a market as big as the US, so they don't want to bother.

Yeah Japanese talent agencies are psychotic about the rights to their actor's work.That is why we mostly get grunts from former sentai and riders in suit. That is why getting all those former riders on Battleride was a feat.

jwk94

You know what I miss from old school toku?

The 2 hours it took for the bad guy to fall after the final blow.
Sparks. I miss the real sparks. And the lack of wire-fu. I'm watching Lost Galaxy right now and it's so nice seeing actual sparks and nice choreography.

Basically if you want to know why we don't get more legit licensed toku releases, look at Generation Kikaida's stuff. They charge as much as they do because that's the kind of price they need to make money on this stuff, and while I don't mind paying like $2-$3/episode for a DVD set (thought I haven't gotten any of theirs yet) a lot of the potential audience is just "lol why would I pay that much for stuff I used to get for free?"

Or hell, just look at OG Ultraman. That shit costs peanuts but lots of people still pirate it.

vareon

Basically if you want to know why we don't get more legit licensed toku releases, look at Generation Kikaida's stuff. They charge as much as they do because that's the kind of price they need to make money on this stuff, and while I don't mind paying like $2-$3/episode for a DVD set (thought I haven't gotten any of theirs yet) a lot of the potential audience is just "lol why would I pay that much for stuff I used to get for free?"

Or hell, just look at OG Ultraman. That shit costs peanuts but lots of people still pirate it.

Yeah for an audience already used to getting stuff free, suddenly selling it without giving any advantages or convenience is an uphill battle.

WillyFive

Yeah for an audience already used to getting stuff free, suddenly selling it without giving any advantages or convenience is an uphill battle.

Putting it up on something like Netflix at true HD quality with a decent dub (and the option for Japanese language and subtitles, like Disney films do with English and Spanish) would be quite valuable, since it's a service many already have and it's more convenient than downloading the O-T torrents or streaming the low quality TV-Nihon versions.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I know the genre/how it's written probably doesn't lend to this well, but are there any good analyses of Sentai/Kamen Rider? Like, ones that explore themes and such and how certain shows reflect real-life Japan? I like how, like in Kiva, the economic bubble of Japan was brought up quite a few times in early episodes and was contrasted between Otoya and Wataru's story lines.

So, I know the genre/how it's written probably doesn't lend to this well, but are there any good analyses of Sentai/Kamen Rider? Like, ones that explore themes and such and how certain shows reflect real-life Japan? I like how, like in Kiva, the economic bubble of Japan was brought up quite a few times in early episodes and was contrasted between Otoya and Wataru's story lines.

Igadevil's sites are the only places that consistently critiques toku stuff that I can think of. There have been interesting posts from /m/ that leak out onto other sites, but /m/ is, well, /m/.

yami4ct

Violet's is also yellow. All that means is, like you mentioned, is that they aren't spirit rangers. I don't think we'll see violet or silver joining the Kyoryugers permanently, but we might see them fight together more often than Cyan or Grey.

Violet's is also yellow. All that means is, like you mentioned, is that they aren't spirit rangers. I don't think we'll see violet or silver joining the Kyoryugers permanently, but we might see them fight together more often than Cyan or Grey.

Silver gettin his own gun toy almost guarantees he'll join the team full time.

WillyFive

Igadevil has been mentioned, but sometimes Toei does it on their own blog too, like when they explained the origin of Fourze and how the 2011 Earthquake made them rethink a lot of things about the show's production and what Kamen Rider should be like. Some fans like Lynxara from Henshinjustice also offer some interesting viewpoints from time to time, as well.

Watch Da Birdie

Almost finished with Kuuga, then on to Agito! Really loving Kuuga, but I miss the catchy insert songs that Agito started.

Unfortunately the subbing situation for that show is a bit of a pain to figure out, but I think I've managed it as long as no certain sites go down before I finish. :/

After that, it's on to Decade, then I guess Wizard since it will probably be finished more or less by then.

Watch Da Birdie

Scratch that, getting the best subs for Agito is proving to be taxing.

I guess I'll just go with Cruel Angel Productions subs, are those alright? Anyone here watch them?

Top Bottom