• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Slayven

It's Franky from One Piece!!

Anywho Kyoryu Violet aka Shigeru Chiba is so awesome. I thought I loved the guy when doing his VA shtick but him in live action so awesome. I loved how everyone spazzed when he did the voice of their gear. I dare say they all had a fanboy moment.
Haha I knew I knew that voice from somewhere.

ibdc7Yg1NQDtIq.gif

That is pure old-school Toku, no CGI anywhere. I wish we had an Akibaranger S3 with a space-themed episode so that they can show us how in the world they did that space background.

Also, I notice all the music in this episode, looks like we are now heading into the second OST for the show (each show has like 4).
The maneuvering jets is a nice nerdy touch.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Are any other Ultraman shows subbed (well) anyway? Should I even bother.

I downloaded Ginga though, it's apparently like an Anniversary thing, but will I need to know the prior series to enjoy it?

Are any other Ultraman shows subbed (well) anyway? Should I even bother.

I downloaded Ginga though, it's apparently like an Anniversary thing, but will I need to know the prior series to enjoy it?

Ultraman Nexus, Mebius and Tiga are fully subbed, and the original Ultraman and Ultra Seven are out on DVD. Nexus was subbed by TV-Nihon, so, y'know, take your chances with that one.

The original Ultraman is hard to go back to just because the show is so old. You can tell that there was a learning process going on behind the scenes, because it lacks polish in some areas. Still, it has some decent episodes and some of the most iconic monsters in the series make their debut in this show. Ultra Seven is a total classic, good times all the way through.

Mebius is another anniversary series, but it's actually pretty free-flowing and you don't really need to know much about the other shows to enjoy it. Tiga's from the '90s, but it holds up pretty well.

I think they're all worth watching, even if you're not super-excited about watching giant monsters smash into buildings. I think that the appeal of the series lies in the monsters and aliens, how they deal with or try to take over the earth and the people on it, and how the human characters, in turn, react to alien life (Nexus focused on that last point pretty heavily, truth be told). There's also a strong sense of hope in most Ultra shows, which I find somewhat refreshing.

As for Ginga, I don't think that prior knowledge of the series is really important, but it's only the first episode or so, so time will tell. It's going to be a short series (12 episodes and 2 movies) so we'll see how much stuff will be packed into it.

Hey, don't blame the series for 4Kids' shortsightedness. If they had any sense, they'd have brought over the Tiga movies and made Eric Stuart sing theme songs for those as well.

Then again, we would have gotten schizophrenic dubs for those as well.

On second thought, it's not worth it. We dodged a bullet.

Watch Da Birdie

Hmm, Ultraman Ginga was...kind of cool? I like the idea of using the toys and stuff, and it was cool how he became one of the monsters too, but everything else was subpar including the characters. Well, actually the fight was pretty rad and I loved the insert song.

Too bad it's only 12 episodes, seems weird since they've got so much material and all with the "old heroes/monsters" theme.

vareon

Not sure if I liked Ginga. It's certainly a departure from the previous Ultraman series, but I'm still not warming up on the kids--they're certainly not the reason I watched Ultraman. I'll keep watching, though.

So uh asking again - what's happening in Wizard?

White Wizard reveals his human form, Mayu (Medusa's twin sister) claims he's looking for four wizards, but Beast is somehow not included because he's an "archetype". So we have three wizards (Haruto, Mayu, White Wizard) and the white wizard just kidnapped a kid to turn him into one. Meanwhile the enemy keeps doing the same thing from the very first episode, and Koyomi manages to do nothing even though this week is her arc.

WillyFive

A graphic novel based on MMPR has been announced:

Papercutz is launching a “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” graphic novel series starring the original Power Rangers team!

Papercutz is already publishing the “Power Rangers” graphic novel series, but this new companion series is set to work like lost episodes of the original TV show, so it’s going to feel just like 1995 again. Stefan Petrucha and PH Marcondes have been tapped as writer and illustrator, and the first book will debut in May of 2014.

Zynx

So, about that non-golden Garo armor. Given that there's only been three, non-trivial mysteries in the story, and that one was blindingly obvious (Kaneshiro being behind the Horrors), my guess is that the other two are linked. Perhaps something was taken from Garo, or Ryuuga that was used to create the Madou Horrors.

And I've got to say, Luckyuro is the best.

Tenumi

Banned
I've been late recently as far as watching new Kyoryuger episodes, but man, its so ridiculous at times it slides back into funny. Like in 21,
The bit with the Extinction-ball thingy and they decide to just use KyoruBlue ballooned to deflect it.

Watch Da Birdie

Guys, I'm pretty sure the "month of W/OOO/Fourze recap specials" was a rumor that was debunked.

NeonZ

Guys, I'm pretty sure the "month of W/OOO/Fourze recap specials" was a rumor that was debunked.

The recap stupidity was a rumor, but the first source that mentioned Gaimu starting in October also talked about a "festival" airing in September. The recap stuff was a later false rumor building upon on that when it became likely that Gaimu was geting delayed, but the original post that mentioned the later start of Gaimu also mentioned the September festival, so it's likely true. We'll probably get Gaimu in October and "specials" of some kind of September.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I finished Ginga 1.

I thought it was pretty good, but feeling sorta new because I'm kinda used to Ultraman being backed up by people with ships.

WillyFive

I guess with Nintendo's twisted logic, this counts as advertising. There's also going to be a whole Direct dedicated to the game in the future.

inFr4WDIbeBO.gif

As for the game, it looks great. It has an old school narrator and it's outright Showa Sentai/Metal Hero.

Watch Da Birdie

Ah, it seems Gaimu starting in October may be true:

Via Herotaku:

Recently in Japan, Toei revealed the information on Kamen Rider Gaimu. In the press statement we were informed that he's a Fruit Themed Rider, with several forms and/or other Riders making appearances. His henshin device, his Rider Belt is called the Sengoku Driver. The Sengoku Driver allows Gaimu to Henshin with the use of the Lock Seed and Knife Cut. At this time there are no photos, but we'll update on further notice. Our official siting of the sourced material is from the owner of Tom's Toy Store, one of Herotaku's official stores we promote: http://www.toms-toy-store.jp/

WillyFive

So is this the most uncool theme a Rider has had yet? We've had time traveling trains, vampires, UPC codes, USB Drives, animals, the Space Shuttle, and darn Wizards, and we follow it up with fruits?

Novid

Banned
So is this the most uncool theme a Rider has had yet? We've had time traveling trains, vampires, UPC codes, USB Drives, animals, the Space Shuttle, and darn Wizards, and we follow it up with fruits?

Im more worried its starting in October. This one is going to be REALLY short.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm actually kind of excited about the Fruit Theme. :X
Sounds like it could be interesting.

Plus it's SAMURAI too, which is cool in itself.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
sooo.....
kyoryu violets granddaughter is gonna be replacing him at some point i assume?

Top Bottom