• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is Dairanger any good? Ever since it was prominently featured in Akibaranger, i've been somewhat interested in watching it...

Kibaranger sounds like a badass...

Dairanger is all style, no substance. Awesome fights and special, practical effects, but the characters are either "okay" or "annoying", and the plot really gets dumb when it comes to the central plot-line. Like the others say, Daigo's cool, but he gets some shitty episodes
that fucking cactus episode!
, and so is the Blue and Yellow (even though he barely does much), but Red basically does nothing and has no distinguishing character traits beyond a plot ripped off Star Wars, and Pink has this one scene that leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth

Also, Kibaranger is a character a lot of people dislike due to his actor, and, since this was the second "Sixth Ranger" really, he's kind of awkwardly put in and slows the plot down, and never really is integrated well with the main group. He's kind of a waste, really, and his episodes aren't that good.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Also, Kibaranger is a character a lot of people dislike due to his actor, and, since this was the second "Sixth Ranger" really, he's kind of awkwardly put in and slows the plot down, and never really is integrated well with the main group. He's kind of a waste, really, and his episodes aren't that good.

Kids are never a good choice for actors anyway.

Everytime I seek an old sentai to watch, I always get to the same conclusion that I should just re-watch Changeman.

Dairanger is all style, no substance. Awesome fights and special, practical effects, but the characters are either "okay" or "annoying", and the plot really gets dumb when it comes to the central plot-line. Like the others say, Daigo's cool, but he gets some shitty episodes
that fucking cactus episode!
, and so is the Blue and Yellow (even though he barely does much), but Red basically does nothing and has no distinguishing character traits beyond a plot ripped off Star Wars, and Pink has this one scene that leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth

This is pretty much the polar opposite of how most fans view Dairanger.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh, Dairanger fans tend to overrate it anyway :p

I agree with Watch Da Birdie, and he isn't even going on the plot yet.

Also I have this weird imagination where J stumbles into a Kamen Rider show

WillyFive

Also I have this weird imagination where J stumbles into a Kamen Rider show

You mean he hasn't already?

tumblr_mjgrc0cNoO1r5ir9co1_500.png

Watch Da Birdie

This is pretty much the polar opposite of how most fans view Dairanger.

Honestly, I probably exaggerated a bit...I liked it when watching it, but overall, I think it's not as great as people make it out to be. I watched Gekiranger, Go-Onger, and Go-Busters after, and found all of them to be far superior in every category bar perhaps fight choreography and monster designs (for Gekiranger at least, which had substandard ones, Go-Onger's with the movable mouths rocked).

I'm already finished with the tutorial dungeon in SMTIV but I can't find any toku-style demons yet

You won't find some for a while - the guest designs are for some of the boss versions of standard SMT demons. You won't hit your first guest design until
you hit the Lair of the Minotaur
I think.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I love Kyoryuzin Kung Fu for no odd reason. But that, that is too much.

Kyoryuzin Western is pretty good, if only because of the intro.

Kung Fu is a little dumb, because he does all those moves on the intro, but can barely throw that ball around. And we he does, it's all CG. I know, it's nobody's fault, but still...

However, I really did like the Rocket.... something something. The Pleson-Gabutyra-Bunpachy combination. It was mostly practical effects with models, and barely any CG (Bunpachy running was CG, but... oh well). But I agree: The end result is weird. It's mostly Gabutyra's head sticking out of the chest and, you know, the stupid helmet.

I didn't like most of the forms of the current Robots. Even regular Gabutyra looks all weird and out of proportion. Pleson and Pterago(r?)don single-bot transformations are not bad though. Pteradein-oh even had a cape! Everything else is spot on on this series so far, including a Female Violet that takes the place of a Male Violet. I'd like a little more character development, but there's not much you can expect from a 27 minute show where they're half that fighting and inside robots so they can sell toys...

Only sad part really is that it'll take a couple months for us to be able to watch the movie. I wonder if it fits canonically in the episodes or is more of a sidestory.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
OST for the Kyoryuger movie out there. Cover shows the form used in the movie, the result of the W numbered battery shown in the preview of this ep. It's basically Deinosgrander with two Gabutyra Fangs for hands.

i8bmPJddidX0A.gif

probably is my favorite final form rider at this point. It's like something finally clicked for people to not only design a cool suit, but figure out how to make it a cool to watch in battle.

And i'm always for tanks, even though wizard seems to have speed and offense too lol.

WillyFive

Odd question but do new Toku OT threads happen for new Kamen Rider shows or just once per year?

Once per year. I like to do them in February because that's when the new Sentai and Power Rangers shows premiere; not because of bias towards Sentai but because those are the ones that begin at the start of the year. Maybe once TokuGAF grows big enough, we can do new OT's twice a year so that we have a fresh one for the new Kamen Rider. What do you guys think? Should we make a new one for Gaim or stick with this one until Feb 2014?

Also, I think TokuGAF is growing a lot. Last year we were so small nobody bothered to move us to Community. :p

Once per year. I like to do them in February because that's when the new Sentai and Power Rangers shows premiere; not because of bias towards Sentai but because those are the ones that begin at the start of the year. Maybe once TokuGAF grows big enough, we can do new OT's twice a year so that we have a fresh one for the new Kamen Rider. What do you guys think? Should we make a new one for Gaim or stick with this one until Feb 2014?

Also, I think TokuGAF is growing a lot. Last year we were so small nobody bothered to move us to Community. :p

depends on if gaim is awesome or not, and if it has an awesome catch phrase thing.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think Infinity looks great. Looking at all the final forms of other riders, they look so gaudy. Fucking Decade Complete.

Kuuga's Ultimate form and Blade's King form look pretty good though.

whats gonna suck is the first thing infinity is gonna lose to is gonna feel so ridiculous somehow.

its eps 45 and i don't think there has been a single baddie that has overpowered infinity form... or even all dragon form yet lol.

did he?

w/e. you can tell how much i'm paying attention to this show lol.

Is there a reason why haruto's toys can combine into a megazord? Did they explain what it did? Or just toy gimmick.

ahdurian

are there any other sub groups other than TvNihon and Over-Time that do Sentai/Rider subs?
I've been getting more and more into Toku shows, and there are some I really want to check out but they don't have (Hurricanger, Abaranger, etc.)

are there any other sub groups other than TvNihon and Over-Time that do Sentai/Rider subs?
I've been getting more and more into Toku shows, and there are some I really want to check out but they don't have (Hurricanger, Abaranger, etc.)

Those haven't been done (besides HK subs...if you're willing to go down that road), but don't forget my buddies at GUIS. They've completely done Liveman, Jetman, Zyuranger, and Maskman and are about 30 episodes into both Kakuranger and Bioman.

Speilban and Fiveman are also on the list to be done eventually.

Tenumi

Banned
Those haven't been done (besides HK subs...if you're willing to go down that road), but don't forget my buddies at GUIS. They've completely done Liveman, Jetman, Zyuranger, and Maskman and are about 30 episodes into both Kakuranger and Bioman.

And may I say that Jetman has been great so far, and the subs great. Didn't know they were working on Kakuranger. That's good information...

Garo season 3 of awesome ep 17

With the reveal of ep 16 I was wonder where the show was going. I feel that villains are best defined by whatever drives them. So this whole time I thinking what is this show going to present. Of course I was wowed

near the few minutes of the ep we find out tousei was the black sheep of the family. Dude was a product of rape. The scene where he was rolling kensei in the wheelchair was so damn creepy

Damn dark ish is dark! I feel after Garo is over my toku bar will rise higher.

ahdurian

didn't know about GUIS.
thanks though! i'll check them out

huh. official stats wise, wizard all dragon is noticeably more strong than infinity form. i guess infinity form's def makes up for that.

I guess this movie form trumps pretty much all kamen riders stats wise lol

blogentry-26-0-28332900-1374915639_thumb.jpg

vareon

It seems that the TV special between Wizard and Gaim is confirmed.

huh. official stats wise, wizard all dragon is noticeably more strong than infinity form. i guess infinity form's def makes up for that.

That doesn't look bad, and way better than the usual All Dragon. If only All Dragon didn't have that head...

Watch Da Birdie

Wait, can we post magazine scans of Toku stuff?

Anyway, I hope the pre-Gaim Special is basically like wacky Net Movie-type antics and such.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

i want to see infinity go up against putotyra.

WillyFive

think so. its really only on gaming side that you aren't allowed, which was mostly because gameinformer was whining about scans... or was it famitsu? idk.

They figured that posting scans of magazines that are on sale is petty much pirating; since you are putting something that should be paid for in stores for free online for everyone to see.

I'm not sure if it could also apply to Japanese Toku magazines though. I try to avoid it.

WillyFive

from official material like the stats sheet saying their kick power, punch power measured in tons lol.

think the kamen rider wikia has them too.

They are also up on the official website for the shows on TV Asahi. It's pretty weird/cool that they do it; since they are never used in any of the shows.

Top Bottom