• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

vareon

The only thing wrong with these "stats" is the Riders are only as strong or weak as the episode needs to, which makes all of them useless.

WillyFive

The only thing wrong with these "stats" is the Riders are only as strong or weak as the episode needs to, which makes all of them useless.

Yeah, just like Akibaranger said, it all works by defeat flags. I knew Deboss was going to lose this episode of Kyoryuger, because there was a new mecha.

Oh, and every new mecha deserves a gif:

iewkVbLccWJMb.gif

The noise that happens during all of this is nuts.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Agito - Final

Well, that was a surprise. For some reason, all this time, I was under the impression that Shouichi died at the end...was surprised to see him alive at the end. Did I misread spoilers or something? Just the other week, I remember seeing that he died.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah that's Kakuranger.

Is Kuuga any good?

Some people say it's slow and boring, but I thought it was a fun ride...very suspenseful, a nice, steady pace without any MISUNDERSTANDINGS, and overall it's just a lot more balance that most of the Agito-Kiva series in that it has a set path from the beginning that it follows through without fucking around.

It's a bit weird coming off the later Riders, like I did, because you don't have the catchy belt jingles, multiple Riders, vocal themes that kick in when the fight gets good (although the little fight BGM they have is pretty great), and there's more of a procedural feel to it with a big part of each 2-parter being investigating the crime scene, usually Kuuga pops up at the end of the episode instead of Henshining multiple times per episode like Blade often did.

fmpanda

Some people say it's slow and boring, but I thought it was a fun ride...very suspenseful, a nice, steady pace without any MISUNDERSTANDINGS, and overall it's just a lot more balance that most of the Agito-Kiva series in that it has a set path from the beginning that it follows through without fucking around.

It's a bit weird coming off the later Riders, like I did, because you don't have the catchy belt jingles, multiple Riders, vocal themes that kick in when the fight gets good (although the little fight BGM they have is pretty great), and there's more of a procedural feel to it with a big part of each 2-parter being investigating the crime scene, usually Kuuga pops up at the end of the episode instead of Henshining multiple times per episode like Blade often did.

To add to the above, Kuuga does have it's J-Drama moments, but it's very well balanced out compared to the latter early Heisei Riders. It helps that Odagiri actually made Godai a likeable character that you could relate to. Kinda sucks that he won't come back to the role, it would be pretty sweet if we could get a buddy cop movie with Godai and Ichijo, tackling a major case with some sprinkles of Kuuga to take on the bad guys.

vareon

Agito - Final

Well, that was a surprise. For some reason, all this time, I was under the impression that Shouichi died at the end...was surprised to see him alive at the end. Did I misread spoilers or something? Just the other week, I remember seeing that he died.

Not sure why you thought that. He was pretty OK overall.

A Pretty Panda said:
Yeah that's Kakuranger.

Is Kuuga any good?

My favorite after Hibiki. It's veeeeeery different from other Heisei series though. It's very much what I describe "What if this world had a Kamen Rider". Monster appears, killed people, people get sad, police investigates (and competently fights). Godai is pretty awesome and every character in the series acts rationally every conflicts are solved without forced drama.

If you compare it to the latest series, it naturally lacks the spectacle and ambition, but that's why I liked it.

WillyFive

I liked the premise and a lot of what Kuuga was doing; but it was so low budget and slow moving that it was hard for me to watch. I keep trying to get back into it, but I lose focus on it quickly. I'd like to see a new show like it though.

Slayven

Yeah, just like Akibaranger said, it all works by defeat flags. I knew Deboss was going to lose this episode of Kyoryuger, because there was a new mecha.

Oh, and every new mecha deserves a gif:

iewkVbLccWJMb.gif

The noise that happens during all of this is nuts.

I just watched that last night, that music made me think I was having a seizure.

I liked the premise and a lot of what Kuuga was doing; but it was so low budget and slow moving that it was hard for me to watch. I keep trying to get back into it, but I lose focus on it quickly. I'd like to see a new show like it though.

I'm reaching the final stretch in Kuuga, and I finding it really engaging. Maybe it just clicked with me better.

That's a valid complaint, and I've heard others point that out. I guess I'm OK with the way it was produced since I watched shows like that all the time as a kid, I dunno. And I agree that it would be nice to see another show like it down the line.

Watch Da Birdie

Movie Wars: Warring States Period is confirmed to be coming out in December 2013, featuring Wizard vs. Gaim, What is Hope? What is Power?

I guess Gentarou will probably make one last appearance here too.

Tenumi

Banned
Now somebody has to list all characters and from which series they are.

Because I have no idea who they are. :(

Top Row: Titanium Ranger (Lightspeed Rescue), Spirit Rangers (Jungle Fury)

Bottom Row: X1 Mask (Maskman), VRV Master (Carranger), Beast-Demon Hunter Zeek (Go-Go-V), DekaGold (Dekaranger), DekaBright (DekaRanger)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Top Row: Titanium Ranger (Lightspeed Rescue), Spirit Rangers (Jungle Fury)

Bottom Row: X1 Mask (Maskman), VRV Master (Carranger), Beast-Demon Hunter Zeek (Go-Go-V), DekaGold (Dekaranger), DekaBright (DekaRanger)

I do remember DekaBright, but damn, I totally forgot about the existence of DekaGold..

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
ibdwqmjfueXAbz.png

The ending was pretty funny but the Shadam thing made no sense.

Every Kujaku episode was bad. Every Kou episode was bad except for like the last two.

Kou might as well not be there with how little he's shown.

It was ok.

Watch Da Birdie

The Dairanger villains are inspired by General Zod and his sidekicks in Superman II, right? That's the impression I got. Just like all the Star Wars stuff floating around.

NeonZ

Movie Wars: Warring States Period is confirmed to be coming out in December 2013, featuring Wizard vs. Gaim, What is Hope? What is Power?

I guess Gentarou will probably make one last appearance here too.

Actually, I think the whole "warring states" thing is just referencing Rider vs Rider.

It comes from this image:

http://www.movie-taisen.com/

"Kamen Rider Warring States period" is written between Gaimu and Wizard there, but there's no traditional Japanese imagery anywhere. So, it seems more likely they're using those words due to the hero vs hero element, just like the battles between warlords in the Sengoku period, not because they'll make a story about time traveling.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh VRV Master... I actually like is Turbo appearance more :(

The Dairanger villains are inspired by General Zod and his sidekicks in Superman II, right? That's the impression I got. Just like all the Star Wars stuff floating around.

Yeah I thought it was Zod too.

The villain reveal is outright terrible though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You haven't yet?

Kyoryuger is the first sentai I've watched since Dekaranger, back when T-N was releasing it.

And before that, I only watched Changeman and Flashman back in the 90's.

Earlier this year I was figuring out if I should watch Gokaiger, GoBusters or Shinkenger. Decided to watch Kyoryuger and Akibaranger instead. Now that I finished Akibaranger, I'm feeling this Tokusatsu-Void in my programming (it also helps with my Japanese). I'm waiting on Gaimu, but... I guess I found what to watch...

Which power ranger series should I watch on Netflix gaf? Which is the best?

I use to watch a lot of Power Rangers when I was I kid and now I want to get back into it!

WillyFive

I use to watch a lot of Power Rangers when I was I kid and now I want to get back into it!

My faves are RPM, Time Force, Dino Thunder, and In Space.

Also, watch Gokaiger (but it's not on Netflix).

Tenumi

Banned
My faves are RPM, Time Force, Dino Thunder, and In Space.

Also, watch Gokaiger (but it's not on Netflix).

I agree with every single recommendation here, although Dino Thunder might not be quite as neat if the viewer didn't watch the Tommy era series.

Getting so close to finishing RPM myself.

WillyFive

I agree with every single recommendation here, although Dino Thunder might not be quite as neat if the viewer didn't watch the Tommy era series.

Getting so close to finishing RPM myself.

I didn't watch the Tommy era series, and I thought Dino Thunder was great.

Campy fun w/ extreme sport ninjas: Ninja Storm
High school superheroes (MMPR w/ good characterisation/writing): Dino Thunder
Future cops: SPD
Grim post-apocalypse, self aware that it's still a silly kid's show: RPM

You really can't go wrong with any of these.

tumblr_mqtzf9H3RE1s4u1mvo2_250.gif
tumblr_mqtzf9H3RE1s4u1mvo1_250.gif

tumblr_mqtzf9H3RE1s4u1mvo4_250.gif
tumblr_mqtzf9H3RE1s4u1mvo3_250.gif

Ninja Storm is so good.

Watch Da Birdie

Why is the Decade Movie...so bad?

I didn't understand any of it, and no one had to pay for what they did whatsoever. I'm actually enjoying the main Decade series, but this pissed me off.

Why was IXA the only non-Main Rider fighting in the Tournament, for one (excluding Diend)? That was really random.

DAMN YOU DECADE!

The thing about Decade is that the story's shit and they obviously never knew what the hell they were doing with it (evident by basically nothing being answered in the show itself, with All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker and Movie War 2010 presenting completely different premises for the show). It's best to just enjoy the ride and the characters without thinking about it at all.

Even as one of the thread's bigger(/only) Decade fans I barely remember what happens in the movie. Just Rider fights in a stadium,
Tsukasa is head of Dai Shocker except they kicked him out and the dude that becomes Shadow Moon wants to take over or something?
and the basic point being that his past doesn't matter because his true life is with Natsumelons and co. and his story is forged with them.

NeonZ

The thing about Decade is that the story's shit and they obviously never knew what the hell they were doing with it (evident by basically nothing being answered in the show itself, with All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker and Movie War 2010 presenting completely different premises for the show).

I think they knew some basic concepts, but the finale ended up a complete mess due to various last minute changes done to the movies and tv final itself. There are some consistent things that imply they knew the direction they were going. Since the Kuuga arc, it had been heavily implied that Tsukasa was some kind of evil before losing his memory, the Decade/DCD Shocker stuff later, and even the picture that shows Tsukasa leaving his sister pop up in the tv show. The world shown in All Riders vs Dai-Shocker, unlike every other world in the series, is never just called "World of Decade", which seems to line up with the revelation in Movie Wars 2010.

Anyway, when we get to the tv finale, we get a situation where there's a cliff hanger ending leading to a movie that doesn't exist. Later they edited the episode to make a second version of the finale to make it line up with the Movie Wars 2010 they actually made.

And it wasn't only a change in story - the initial announcement of the movie had Decade's and W's movies as two completely separate features, rather than the "Movie Wars" that we ended up getting - it was even listed by theaters like that. And, to add to that, All Riders vs Dai-Shocker was originally announced to be Decade's finale, so, at some point, it was rewritten to eliminate that (by showing that the fusion of worlds was still continuing midway through the movie and never solving the issue). There are many obvious changes in Decade's two movies and the tv finale if you followed their production.

I'd guess that part of it was Decade's success itself making them want to extend it, thus the extra movie and no resolution on the tv show itself, while another part was wanting to promote the new Rider show, so we got W's scene in the movie (which was obviously recorded after all the other scenes of the final battle, considering how the conditions of the location don't match the other scenes, before and after it) and the "Movie Wars" crossover. Of course, all those additions had bigger focus than Decade's actual story, and thus the mess that we ended up getting for the finale.

Garo season 3 episode 18 : War

I...it...man

The show mainstays that underline dark, dark nature when there's little hope about. The choreography was pretty cool. The one on one fight with Sonshi was what I was waiting for the most. Seeing all the makai knights go at it was great too.

Top Bottom