• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That Decade ending...

Holy fuck, people didn't lie, it was annoying AND pissed me off. Why'd they make Kenzaki of all people such an asshole?

Otherwise, Decade was kind of fun, but I wish it just stuck to the AR stuff the whole way through if they couldn't get all the original actors instead of using them sporadically and awkwardly. And have more fun with turning the original shows' plots upside down and such.

Well, now I've finished every Hesei series (bar Wizard, which I'll wait till it ends), and I feel a bit down. It's been a long and fun journey watching them this year, I'm suffering from archive panic.

Guess I'll start some Showa, but I only have V3, Amazon, and Black, and then I'll finish Wizard, and all I'll have is Gaim once a week and no Kamen Rider to marathon. :(

LostAnkh

That Decade ending...

Holy fuck, people didn't lie, it was annoying AND pissed me off. Why'd they make Kenzaki of all people such an asshole?

Otherwise, Decade was kind of fun, but I wish it just stuck to the AR stuff the whole way through if they couldn't get all the original actors instead of using them sporadically and awkwardly. And have more fun with turning the original shows' plots upside down and such.
Decade just made no sense, that's what killed the series for me.

I did enjoy Hibiki's and Blade's world, they were fun and better than the rest of them.

shaowebb

What made Decade the most fun for me was getting introduced to Apollo Geist. Didn't know the thing he was stealing energy with was from Kiva at the time, but that guy is an all time favorite villain. I think he may have been one of the first villains in Kamen Rider history so I always enjoy seeing him in games now.

Hope he makes it into the next Climax Heroes fighting game.

NeonZ

That Decade ending...

Decade's plot set up was done by Sho Aikawa... If you watch anime, he also wrote Eureka 7 AO (Decade's final episodes weren't written by Sho Aikawa himself though, but they seemed to follow the set up he had laid in the first episode)... So, turning previous heroes into "cool jerks" seems to be his style.

Sho Aikawa also was Blade's main writer for the second half of the series...

I think he may have been one of the first villains in Kamen Rider history so I always enjoy seeing him in games now.

He was the first really active and Rider-like villain, with his own transformation call and fighting against the main Rider multiple times. His original version in X even had a bike. Before him, all villains were commander types who only transformed and fought in their final battles.

Watch Da Birdie

Decade's plot set up was done by Sho Aikawa... If you watch anime, he also wrote Eureka 7 AO (Decade's final episodes weren't written by Sho Aikawa himself though, but they seemed to follow the set up he had laid in the first episode)... So, turning previous heroes into "cool jerks" seems to be his style.

Sho Aikawa also was Blade's main writer for the second half of the series...

Odd, because Blade, and the rest of the Blade Boys, ended up becoming a lot nicer and cooler in the second half than they were in the first. Tachibana, Hajime, even Mutsuki ended up being bros.

Watch Da Birdie

Saeko and Wakana had pretty prominent roles in W at least...in fact there were a lot more female villains than most other Rider shows, which I felt was sort of a homage to the "femme fatale" type characters common in detective fiction.

Other good female villains I'd say are the Tiger Undead in Blade, the Crayfish Orphenoch in Faiz, the leader Worm in Kabuto who played the violin, Maya in Kiva (sort of?), and Scorpion in Fourze.

NeonZ

Odd, because Blade, and the rest of the Blade Boys, ended up becoming a lot nicer and cooler in the second half than they were in the first. Tachibana, Hajime, even Mutsuki ended up being bros.

That's kind of different because they still were the protagonists there, not returning heroes.

WillyFive

igxEIwX5jco7g.gif

Watch Da Birdie

It always looks goofy when they fake falling down stairs.

In the opening to the Kiva Movie, there's this incredibly laughable scene were IXA's thrown onto the ground and then you can clearly see the suit actor purposefully roll down the whole stairs.

Slayven

It always looks goofy when they fake falling down stairs.

In the opening to the Kiva Movie, there's this incredibly laughable scene were IXA's thrown onto the ground and then you can clearly see the suit actor purposefully roll down the whole stairs.

Cause falling down stairs hurts.

always love it when civilians or people in civilian form get their ass kicked by monsters in big cumbersome suits. all of a sudden you lose all ability to dodge or do anything against these big huggable disneyland actors.

I read on Jetfusion that Kyoko Hinami (the first Akiba Blue) was hospitalized after being knocked unconscious by a taxi. It's incredibly unfortunate, and I hope that there's no lasting damage.

I've been playing catch-up for the last few week's worth of shows - feels like I'm getting too old to marathon stuff.

Kyoruger hasn't run out of steam yet. I'm really glad that the writers have distanced Yayoi from that whole voyeuristic thing so far, because that would have gotten old quick. There's enough wiggle room with the new
Deboss Soldier
to make the next 2 episodes unpredictable, at least.

Seems like everyone and their mother saw the big twist in the latest episode of Wizard coming, though. Doesn't bother me much, since we're finally in the endgame.

Ultraman Ginga is still pretty poorly executed, but it's thematically consistent, and I enjoyed episodes 3 & 5. Jean-killer is the most visually impressive part of the show so far, just like how he and Jean-bot were the best parts of Zero Gaiden. Ginga is a little hard to watch, just because the showrunners make a lot of decisions that I don't agree with; little things here and there which have little to do with the fact that it's a side-segment on a clip show with a shoestring budget, and more with the fact that they shoot things in the weirdest ways.

I know they're saving the big hitters for the second half and the movie, but they're using the weirdest monster suits for the weirdest stuff and it just boggles the mind.

I mean, take episode 4 for an example. They're trying to setup this moment of guilty realization, and they go for a closeup on the monster/angry villager of the week and we get this shot (keep in mind that the monster, Ragon, looks like this all the time):

And then Ginga goes for his best Gaia
or Viscant
impression while some touching music plays and we get a shot of Ragon in awe:

And it just doesn't work for me. Ragon isn't ugly-cute like Pigmon is, it's just ugly. And while I get the reference (first noticeably female kaiju, being controlled by another female villain in the show, which sets up the punchline for the little doll theater skit that they had later) they would have been better off using a monster that doesn't have such a dopey-looking face - something with a more alien or beastly face would have been easier to anthropomorphize. And I picked up on that instantly because even the most recent Ultra shows wouldn't have gone for something like that. They have other suits that they've been riding into the ground recently that would have worked way better for that scene.

Then again, episode 4 fell flat for me for a lot of reasons, so I guess I'm just slinging more vitriol than I need to.

The staff's not doing themselves any favors by zooming in on every little thing, though.
Villain makes a comment - ZOOM IN
Ginga dodges - ZOOM IN
Ginga banks left IN SPACE - ZOOM IN (on the suit's zipper)

I know they're doing their best to make a clean transition to the drama style that almost every other toku show has been working with for nearly a decade, but they're shooting themselves in the foot by trying to work with that AND sticking to the same monsters that they've been recycling for years. They can't have it both ways, and I think it's telling that a good deal of the hype that the Ginga segment picked up during its announcement was based on that shot of Ginga alongside that fancy new Mecha-Baltan (which ended up just being a teaser for the Ultra Frontier game).

Show doesn't seem to be doing that well, either; if Toei was freaking out about Kyoryuger pulling 4-4.5% in ratings, Tsuburaya Pro probably isn't pleased with the big drop from the first episode of Retsuden (1.9%) to the average viewership of Ginga (1.1%). Then again, they might not care - seems like they put most of their cash into the new Ultra Q series they made, and based on what little of it I've seen it's fantastic. The manga's doing pretty well for itself, too. I guess Retsuden is just the odd one out, haha.

Juspion continues to impress me, though.
ibz4mlTWGHAAMx.gif

I don't know why, it just speaks to me.

WOO! Chroma Squad just reached its Kamen Rider mode stretch goal!

4 days to got to hit the 110k mark to add in the editor mode!

Chroma Squad Tactical Sentai Studio simulator kickstarter page

Thread

Excellent.

wow. garo sure did... escalate.

It's sad that skimming some spoilers for the latest episode was enough to make me watch the whole show from the beginning. But yeah, everything's going nuts.

Is that the klan?

Probably. Juspion stumbled across an underground fighting ring, and most of the crowd was made up of thugs and grunts - they just so happened to have klansmen there, I guess.

They're klan-friendly, at any rate, which is how you know they're really bad. Can't afford to let people think they came across an episode of Aztekaiser or something.

vareon

No. That picture was from the end of the clip of the special next week. So maybe next week? I'm looking forward to the details contained in the Detail of Heroes book.

WillyFive

The Kyoryugers fight better together when Ian's the leader rather than King. Also, great episode; Kyoryuger is really great so far.

vareon

Wizard 48

Almost all the mysteries are done
exactly as anyone guessed
and we're in for the final confrontations. With three remaining episodes, I think it's going to wrap nicely.

Top Bottom