• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Slayven

Interesting how most of the fans that go to screenings and live shows are fangirls. Yet, all the Western conventions are full of old men. Something is getting lost in translation.

Also, that fangirl screaming "Utchy!" was hilarious.

I swear at the Den-o special most the audience was ladies over 30.

vareon

Well there goes my $40.

1mVF4Bs.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Did you mean the old one or the new one? They're planning a "renewal" figuarts with a way better body base starting with Black and Kabuto.

Renewal:

that new one looks quite a bit better. did they realize how funky kabutos build was?

vareon

that new one looks quite a bit better. did they realize how funky kabutos build was?

All the earlier generation Figuarts were pretty crappy by today's standards. Now the terrible ones are usually the figuarts that came out concurrently with its show (that means every main rider after Decade).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wizard 48

Almost all the mysteries are done
exactly as anyone guessed
and we're in for the final confrontations. With three remaining episodes, I think it's going to wrap nicely.

Wizard is 53 episodes...

Although it seems that 52 and 53 might be the "Gaim appearances" we've heard about, so the main plot might end by 51.

WillyFive

Yeah, Timeranger did the same thing. The actual show ended at episode 50, but episode 51 was a non-canon story about the Timerangers flying in time through past Super Sentai shows and meeting the Gaorangers at the end of the episode.

Slayven

The "four wizards needed" plot could have been used to have four different riders. But no! Let's repaint the costumes we used for the movie instead.

Made me think the four wizards needed plot was written midseason.

The four wizards could have been awesome. Especially if they are based on different magic systems.

LostAnkh

The "four wizards needed" plot could have been used to have four different riders. But no! Let's repaint the costumes we used for the movie instead.

Made me think the four wizards needed plot was written midseason.
The thing that bothered me most about those suits, were those ginormous monster hands. WTF.

The four wizards could have been awesome. Especially if they are based on different magic systems.
That's asking too much out of Toei, at the very least, they should've had a more uniform look to them instead this of Sailor scout theme.

Not to mention the ginormous monster hands...

vareon

Instead it creates this weird inconsistency where one wizard is all-powerful and versatile while the others looked like mooks. Felt like Fueki is speeding up his plan because he's running out of episodes.

Watch Da Birdie

My favorite rumor going around right now is that the reason we don't know Guriton's actor is because Haruto is wearing it. :p

Also, just played Battride War drunk as fuck, with the custom soundtrack full blast...Musou games are the best to play inebriated.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Makes me wonder, is V3 the last Rider where older Riders are part of the continuity in a sense that they appear frequently in the show?

WillyFive

Jason David Frank's reality show My Morphin' Life.

Review for Kyoryuger: Gaburincho of Music and Wizard in Magic Land

Makes me wonder, is V3 the last Rider where older Riders are part of the continuity in a sense that they appear frequently in the show?

I guess while not a Rider, Tachibana kept appearing through the entire original run of Kamen Rider (the legendary seven Riders). He was basically
Zordon, in how he was the mentor for every new Kamen Rider and provided them with gear, bikes, and stuff.

As for continuity, the W -> Wizard continuity seems to be the same one as the Legendary Seven continuity, mostly due to Fourze. I wonder if they'll keep it going with Gaim.

tumblr_m4e4gtmLAq1qzshijo1_500.jpg

Sanjo wrote his Movie Wars differently than the other Rider crossovers (basically ignoring them) and both W and Fourze focusing on only the first of the Showa instead of all of the Show + Heisei makes me think this way.

NeonZ

Considering how they got Sho Aikawa to write Wizard's last two episodes, I think they'll be actual serious crossovers, rather than something like Timeranger's special episode.

He always seems to write darker content (including Decade's first few episodes and Blade post episode 30), often questioning or subverting heroes (see also Eureka 7 AO), so I can't see Sho Aikawa writing a purely commemorative anniversary episode.

Sanjo wrote his Movie Wars differently than the other Rider crossovers (basically ignoring them) and both W and Fourze focusing on only the first of the Showa instead of all of the Show + Heisei makes me think this way.

Black RX, Super-1 and Kuuga had cameos in Fourze episode 2 though.

Stronger's and Black RX's final arcs had past Riders for the entire duration of those arcs (5 episodes in Stronger, 7 episodes in Black RX). Past Riders didn't appear in either show before the final arcs though. Also, although Stronger's was shorter, it gave much more screentime to them, even giving them solo scenes, while in Black RX they were just support to Black RX himself and don't even appear out of suit (or get any returning actors to voice them).

Kamen Rider 1979/Skyrider is the biggest Rider show as far as crossovers go though (well, if you don't count Decade's alternate universes). It was initially intended as a reboot, but, when they dropped that, and decided to bring back the past Riders by episode 19, basically half of the episodes starting from there had guest Riders (and the show ended up with 54 episodes). Even in episodes without them, they were mentioned sometimes. Rider 2 and Stronger end up appearing in around 8 Skyrider episodes, with 6 of them being solo appearances.

The only problems are that they couldn't get Rider 1's and Amazon's actors, and so those two always appear in-suit only, and the first few team ups were rushed too, so the Riders there are always in suit - they do handle those thing as well as it could be done though. Skyrider himself is generally transformed while interacting with past Riders in those episodes, and he isn't knocked out of transformation while fighting alongside them, so there isn't any odd scene where Skyrider returns to human form while the other Riders remain transformed. Black RX's crossover suffered from those things though, like Riders just sitting around still being transformed, or everyone being hit by an attack, and only Black RX returning to human form.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh interesting. I wish we get a modern Rider show like that, but I guess because of the "well, it's all over" endings they tend to have, they never do it.

shaowebb

My wife always hears me talking about Kamen Rider and she knows which ones I like the most so far. Thing is she has started deciding which of the ones I've watched sounded like the most fun to her. She'll likely go in on Den O for fun, and OOO's because of everything and because she really likes Ankh, but both of us have a Rider whose suits we've thought for awhile looked badass so we caught a clip together.

Clip was so good that we are now watching Kamen Rider Faiz together as her first Rider show. Episode 1 blew her mind. She had no idea Rider shows were this dark or filled mainly with out of suit stuff for so long. I think she may be hooked.

I am a happy man. First Star Trek and now Kamen Rider. She was already a gamer who played more Dynasty Warriors than even I did so I know that I have married well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Clip was so good that we are now watching Kamen Rider Faiz together as her first Rider show. Episode 1 blew her mind. She had no idea Rider shows were this dark or filled mainly with out of suit stuff for so long. I think she may be hooked.

Well, when you start her on a good Kamen Rider, it's bound to be enjoyable.

Faiz was the last Rider I watched. Everything after that seemed completely dumb, from Outfits to what they're based on.

Here's hoping for Gaim, but I have a feeling it won't be that dark and cool.. :(

WillyFive

Seeing JDF talk about Zangyack and Gokai Silver Gold Mode and the script for the Megaforce version of the battle is really exciting somehow.

iMUfEc4llTVli.gif

Well, when you start her on a good Kamen Rider, it's bound to be enjoyable.

Faiz was the last Rider I watched. Everything after that seemed completely dumb, from Outfits to what they're based on.

Here's hoping for Gaim, but I have a feeling it won't be that dark and cool.. :(

Honestly, Gaim's theme and premise is the first one in a while that seemed to be really out there. Still excited though.

I couldn't get into Faiz though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Since we saw pics of Gokai Silver fighting with the Goseiger suits, when the other ones turn into the Gokaiger suits I think they'll just put the shield on Gokai Silver

Tenumi

Banned
Since we saw pics of Gokai Silver fighting with the Goseiger suits, when the other ones turn into the Gokaiger suits I think they'll just put the shield on Gokai Silver

It'll probably be used like it was in Gokaiger, I think, as a power-up/finisher kind of think. I doubt they'd just put that on when they go into the Gokaiger suits.

At least that's my thoughts.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is Megaforce coming back next month?

Nickelodeon needs to treat the franchise with a little more respect. Showing 9 episodes then taking a long break without any hints on when it's coming back is so annoying. Then again, it would probably get in the way of their endless Spongebob marathons.

Is Megaforce coming back next month?

Nickelodeon needs to treat the franchise with a little more respect. Showing 9 episodes then taking a long break without any hints on when it's coming back is so annoying. Then again, it would probably get in the way of their endless Spongebob marathons.

It's incredible that it took less time for Saban to go into milking mode than it did with Disney.

I feel like at the very end of SPD is when Disney just thought "Eh, we don't have to try...this thing makes us enough money even if we do nothing."

For Saban, by the time Super Samurai was out, it seems like they just totally stopped promoting the show and doing anything to make it a big popular kids show. Show 9 episodes and disappear for most of Power Rangers' 20th anniversary year? Who cares!

The most disappointing evidence was when I was at the Times Square Toys R Us a couple weekends ago. It's really telling about what's hot and what's not. Gigantic displays for Star Wars, Marvel, Iron Man especially, Barbie, Nerf, even Jurassic Park.

Then, you see the big ass Ben 10 section and within that section, in about a four ft area of one wall in the dead corner next to the door that the employees run into to get into the back and take a crap is some Power Rangers toys. That's it. It's the 20th anniversary MONTH of Power Rangers, and you see how the show's regarded. If Saban gave a damn, they'd push to get some serious presence in such an important toy store. What a sad joke.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's incredible that it took less time for Saban to go into milking mode than it did with Disney.

I feel like at the very end of SPD is when Disney just thought "Eh, we don't have to try...this thing makes us enough money even if we do nothing."

For Saban, by the time Super Samurai was out, it seems like they just totally stopped promoting the show and doing anything to make it a big popular kids show. Show 9 episodes and disappear for most of Power Rangers' 20th anniversary year? Who cares!

The most disappointing evidence was when I was at the Times Square Toys R Us a couple weekends ago. It's really telling about what's hot and what's not. Gigantic displays for Star Wars, Marvel, Iron Man especially, Barbie, Nerf, even Jurassic Park.

Then, you see the big ass Ben 10 section and within that section, in about a four ft area of one wall in the dead corner next to the door that the employees run into to get into the back and take a crap is some Power Rangers toys. That's it. It's the 20th anniversary MONTH of Power Rangers, and you see how the show's regarded. If Saban gave a damn, they'd push to get some serious presence in such an important toy store. What a sad joke.

Holy shit. I thought Saban getting one of their biggest properties back would at least get more love but... wow that's bad.

Maybe their saving everything for Super Megaforce next year? That seems to be the case since that's all I hear about. Nothing about the remaining Megaforce episodes, but the big crossover happening next year.

Tenumi

Banned
Part of the big problem of airing I blame on Nick, even though I can't say for sure that it was their scheduling. Ideally, I would have done something like a new episode every other weekend. Spreads 20 episodes out over 40 weeks. Magic! You've suddenly made a short show into a year long show!

Watch Da Birdie

I don't wanna sound like I hate Showa but...

I just find V3, my first Showa, to be unbearably slow. Like, I just don't have any interest in watching it...perhaps it's partially because I watched so many Hesei Series, and got kind of burned by Decade's Ending, but, yeah, it's just not doing anything for me.

I'm actually gonna try out Wizard since I wanna say I have all the Hesei Series under my belt, then I'll try back with V3.

Top Bottom