• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Does anyone here ACTUALLY like Kiva?

Yeah, overall. I mean, the show itself is middling to me, but there are a lot of little bits and pieces that I really, really liked. I liked most of the suit designs, I loved the music, and I found some scenes pretty entertaining. And I felt that the movie was great, way better than the show. Overall, when I think of Kiva I'm left with a generally positive impression, so I'd say that I like it.

But I avoid re-watching the TV show like the plague.

vareon

Does anyone here ACTUALLY like Kiva?

Kiva was an unfortunate series when I didn't know any better about Kamen Rider. I expected something it never tried to do and ended up massively disappointed. Looking back at it, it's probably OK and I really like the dual timeline thing it had. The show's inconsistency and choreography still bothers me though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
so i finished tomica heroes rescue force.

the good things are that the costumes arent bad for the squad type actions that they partake in.
date is pretty good in this. he seems like a cool ass dude to chill with in real life.
and the mecha is pretty god damned awesome. although it has the most awkward human mecha mode ive ever seen.

the bad.... is the villains. they dont really do much of anything, and because of that, theres not much of an overall story arc. it pretty much comes rescuing civilians and coming down to smashing up the big machine of the episode and thats it.

its obviously for kids when it comes to story, and thats completely understandable, but the production values are pretty good. its a same theres only 3 series in the takara line.

WillyFive

i started watching some supersentai, never had watched the jap ones before, and it feels very childish. does anyone else here watch KR only, or some other show and not SS. is a toku fan a toku fan if they dont watch Supersentai?? thoughts.

edit1: ive been watching gokaiger only. never watched any other season.

You can be a fan of Toku by loving Toku, not just Super Sentai. Check out some Kamen Rider, although they are also aimed at kids, from a Western viewpoint they'll seem quite...uh...dramatic.

Does anyone still watch this show?

Dropped it by the second episode.

Slayven

so i finished tomica heroes rescue force.

the good things are that the costumes arent bad for the squad type actions that they partake in.
date is pretty good in this. he seems like a cool ass dude to chill with in real life.
and the mecha is pretty god damned awesome. although it has the most awkward human mecha mode ive ever seen.

the bad.... is the villains. they dont really do much of anything, and because of that, theres not much of an overall story arc. it pretty much comes rescuing civilians and coming down to smashing up the big machine of the episode and thats it.

its obviously for kids when it comes to story, and thats completely understandable, but the production values are pretty good. its a same theres only 3 series in the takara line.
The commander for Rescue Fire was lame.

"Story" by Camino is straight fire.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
i started watching some supersentai, never had watched the jap ones before, and it feels very childish. does anyone else here watch KR only, or some other show and not SS. is a toku fan a toku fan if they dont watch Supersentai?? thoughts.

edit1: ive been watching gokaiger only. never watched any other season.

KR is not any less childish than SS. With that said Gokaiger is very "childish" compared to, say, Shinkenger or Go-Busters.

Hell, I say Garo is still pretty much average in plot despite being touted as "for mature viewers" (only thing it has really is gore and showing more skin).

sub-japan-articleLarge.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/wo...nted=all&_r=2&

NY Times article about Ginga and Toku in general

Does anyone still watch this show?

Also: weird

damn you nytimes I can't link to your photos without work

I find it weird they'd make a toku article.

vareon

http://risingsuntokusatsu.com/?p=9943

Throughout the interview Urobuchi makes references to the older generation of Heisei Rider shows. He claims that Gaim will take Kamen Rider back to a style not seen in almost ten years. The show will break the habit of having overt two part episodes, something in place since Kamen Rider Den-O. In addition, the show will return to what he calls the style of shows seen through Kamen Rider Kuuga and Kamen Rider Faiz. He hopes through Gaim that he will be able to portray a more dramatic take on the characters and situations not seen since those early Heisei-era Kamen Rider shows.

This is good news for me who liked pre-Kabuto shows, but I still don't think it will be THAT different.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I found Kiva the show to be boring, but I recall Kiva the series fondly, if that makes sense. Like I love all the suits (need more Saga!), the music, most of the characters (Wataru was pretty weak to be honest), and the iconic "poses" that Kiva always did like his cool fang-style run. So it ranks bottom for Kamen Rider series for me, but I have a bit of a soft spot for it. Den-O's the same way, I was bored watching it mostly and it was really slow, but I look back on all the characters fondly.

The Kiva Movie was pretty good too, probably my favorite KR Movie next to Farewell Den-O. The Climax Movie with Kiva and Den-O was also pretty fun, too.

I'm watching Wizard right now and I have to say, unless it suddenly takes a nose-dive, it's nowhere near as bad as everyone acts. The weakest part is the supporting cast, but the fights are fun, I've enjoyed the Gate storylines (the one with that sweets cook dude who's in every Tokusatsu it seems, he was Charcoal Org in Gaoranger) despite the fact they all end the same way, and Haruto isn't as obnoxious as he felt to me when I saw him in a few appearances.

GManDH

KR is not any less childish than SS. With that said Gokaiger is very "childish" compared to, say, Shinkenger or Go-Busters

This is exactly what i needed to know, and kind of what i wanted to hear. eventhough i love the pirate motif, ive heard that gokaiger is one of the childist seasons.

never really a fan of monster of the 2 week format of modern kamen rider.

kick monster ass, woops he teleported away! For the most part, i've been just watching the 2nd eps of each arc for Kamen Rider unless the topic matter is interesting to me. The recap does a good enough job lol.

WillyFive

The changes to Gaim's formula do sound very exciting, although I certainly hope it is handled better than the Heisei era. Writing for Kamen Rider has gotten a lot better in the past 15 years (Wizard aside), and if I see something like Faiz again I'm going to go nuts.

This is exactly what i needed to know, and kind of what i wanted to hear. eventhough i love the pirate motif, ive heard that gokaiger is one of the childist seasons.

It's not really even close to being the childest of the Sentai seasons. Goseiger, Go-Onger, Gingaman, Zyuranger, and a great deal of 80's and 70's shows were a lot more childish, due to either using storylines and characters that were specifically made to appeal to children, to characters that were written to not have conflict and be more like role models, to simply being more repetitive and inoffensive.

Heck, with few exceptions and even with the removal of explicit stuff like gore, Toku shows have gottena lot more "mature" in recent decades, simply because of deeper characters, stories, and plots that weren't made to just keep children in a trance for half an hour while they advertise their toys. A lot of this can be attributed due to women becoming a bigger and bigger part of the show's audience, though.

I wonder if Gaim will have something similar to "THIS IS GOLGOM PLOT"

I can see it now; at even the slightest inconvenience, Kota will stop dead in his tracks, make a face like this
ZyDH8SS.png

and murmur that it might be be caused by a Invase. Other riders attacking him? Invase. Turf wars? Invase. Stubbed his toe? Invase.

Then, in a colossal deconstruction of the concept, he'll have a scene where he refuses to make another bad call on what might be causing the problem of the week - only for an Invase monster to be solely responsible.

Just what you'd expect from the master, Mr. Urobuchi.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, how many rivers do you think the Riders will end up in?

Also, it sounds like they're gonna set up Balon to end up as a good guy, and I bet Ryugen will end up going a darker path throughout the show. Zangetsu seems like he might be the first to die, probably setting his brother on said darker path.

Boss Doggie

How is go busters less childish than gokaiger?

There's a serious stake in their story and even the villains get something out of their stuff despite losing/bumbling. Also bittersweet stuff and crap.

Much like how RPM is less childish despite having comedy.

I can see it now; at even the slightest inconvenience, Kota will stop dead in his tracks, make a face like this
ZyDH8SS.png

and murmur that it might be be caused by a Invase. Other riders attacking him? Invase. Turf wars? Invase. Stubbed his toe? Invase.

Then, in a colossal deconstruction of the concept, he'll have a scene where he refuses to make another bad call on what might be causing the problem of the week - only for an Invase monster to be solely responsible.

Just what you'd expect from the master, Mr. Urobuchi.

Bahahahah that'd be awesome!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I liked the Kakuranger/Hurricanger reference.

Episode reminded me of the Fang Joker episode of Double where they couldn't transform but then got out of it with the power up. This solution was way less interesting though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
There's a serious stake in their story and even the villains get something out of their stuff despite losing/bumbling. Also bittersweet stuff and crap.

Much like how RPM is less childish despite having comedy.

There's a serious stake in most toku series. villains winning gambits isn't anything different either. And there was nothing dark enough for me to see it any more serious than any other series.

Boss Doggie

They're gonna use that for Battlizer? I thought they stopped doing that around JF?

There's a serious stake in most toku series. villains winning gambits isn't anything different either. And there was nothing dark enough for me to see it any more serious than any other series.

Well their predicament is already in a sad moment, there's some more personal, serious stakes in them, and we get stuff like characters not returning. No I'm not saying it's dark, it's just it's not too light-hearted like Go-Onger, Kyoryuger or Gokaiger. It's more like Shinkenger or Maskman where it's somber.

Slayven

Who knew Beast was the realest G in the whole damn show. Wizard's finale should have been the midseaon one, would have been interesting to see how phantoms dealt with this new info.

Boss Doggie

The only toku I'm watching is Ginga because I dropped Wizard and Kyoryu, so is Gremlin still around?

Boss Doggie

So your name suggests the answer, but what IS your favorite Sentai?

Deka has comedy but not super hyper comedy :p

And it's more of an action show first anyway.

My favorite is between Maskman, Bioman, and Jetman, with some Shinkenger and Go-Busters.

WillyFive

Here's Amit Bhaumik (writer for Power Rangers Wild Force, Forever Red, and some episodes of Samurai) original proposal for Power Rangers Samurai that was rejected by Saban for a closer translation of Shinkenger.

Unrelated:

He looks like Ryouma from Gingaman.

Funny thing, here's Daigo's actor when he was a kid in 1998:

ilXfAJuMiZStM.jpg

Who knew Beast was the realest G in the whole damn show. Wizard's finale should have been the midseaon one, would have been interesting to see how phantoms dealt with this new info.

Yeah. Beast did a heck of a lot this episode; pretty much saved the world and ended his storyline. The show is practically over now thanks to him, all Haruto did was get caught and whine.

Slayven

I suspected Chimera was a big softy.

If the White Wizard could shift to a phantom form, shouldn't all wizards? And I don't been all dragon.

And the Mage suits are terrible.

Interesting read. Bulk and the kid make a lot more sense there than their random appearances in Samurai proper.

Funny thing, here's Daigo's actor when he was a kid in 1998:

ilXfAJuMiZStM.jpg

I decided to look up how old he is after seeing this. I shouldn't have done that.

Top Bottom