• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
imsU31EXNX2ud.jpg

jbm5uenBU2b6Y2.png

ibet2Z5MVFvl8a.png

iXcqmPRAmBHyN.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I seriously wonder how Toei would sub their stuff

Did they do the official Netflix subs for Digimon Adventure/02?

Because those are pretty bad, really ugly looking yellow text, awkward grammar, moments where they can't decide whether or not to use the original or dub name, and probably mistakes too, but I can't be sure.

Did they do the official Netflix subs for Digimon Adventure/02?

Because those are pretty bad, really ugly looking yellow text, awkward grammar, moments where they can't decide whether or not to use the original or dub name, and probably mistakes too, but I can't be sure.

netflix subs are yellow. not there fault. i think they are white on apple tv though.

GManDH

do you think that there will be a day where all of SS, KR, and other toku series will be fully subbed with good translations?

shaowebb

Just caught Kamen Rider Wizard 49. Im really liking this finale they've been building toward. I wish the rest of the series had mattered, but the ending is good at least. Good stuff out of Beast and the fight with Wizard vs Yamamoto was pretty nice. Really had some force in its delivery.

WillyFive

do you think that there will be a day where all of SS, KR, and other toku series will be fully subbed with good translations?

If fansubbers go as they have been going now, they would eventually (think another 10 or so years); but who knows how the US Toei channel will affect that.

Just caught Kamen Rider Wizard 49. Im really liking this finale they've been building toward. I wish the rest of the series had mattered, but the ending is good at least. Good stuff out of Beast and the fight with Wizard vs Yamamoto was pretty nice. Really had some force in its delivery.

wizard vs yamoto was actually surprisingly well choreographed

Garo is going strong. best season yet.

Rajack

Wizard 50

And here I thought the show couldn't possibly get any better!
Haruto gets infinity ring back and proceeds to slug it out with Fueki, barely winning that fight. Fueki tries to make off with Koyomi, but is ambushed and killed by Gremlin. Gremlin attacks Koyomi, stealing the philosopher's stone inside her, killing her in the process.

Tenumi

Banned
So kyoryuger red carnival ep was just an excuse to not only show King but King shirtless?

It's his world and everyone else merely lives in it.

I was disappointed. He tears up the shirt to reveal.... a scrawny body with thin arms. King.... please don't do that again.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
About time they used the sucking in the fire thing while transforming. Last time I remember Haruto doing that was the first episode.

UNDERSTAND?

WillyFive

Nowadays we tend to get the trademark of the name out before the first legit rumors come out. Still, it feels like just yesterday I was watching the first promo for Kyoryuger....

Wizard is awful. I don't care about anything that happens to any of the characters because I don't care about the characters as it is.
So White Wizard spends the second half of the episode trying to kill Haruto and then when he's killed we're supposed to be sad, playing sad music? Then Koyomi, the person who's mere existence has caused all the boring in this show, who is already dead we're supposed to care about dying when she's barely been in the show.

I'll ask again, why does Haruto care about Koyomi so much? They barely know each other and they hardly interact. They have no connection.

WillyFive

Relationships in Wizard are a mess.
Haruto spends half the show looking for and hating White Wizard, and then 2 minutes after they had their final fight and he dies, Haruto is suddenly sad for him.

I can somewhat understand why Haruto cares for Koyomi, since he was like a father/brother figure to her throughout the whole show, feeding her and whatnot; but it's all so poorly done that I don't care at all about what happens to her.

NeonZ

Translation of an interview with Gen Urobuchi about Gaim. There are some interesting tidbits in it...

http://henshinjustice.com/2013/09/09/gen-urobuchi-interview/

Hyper Hobby: How did you get the chance to work on Kamen Rider Gaim?
Gen: It was actually Tomokazu Sugita (Kivat Bat III) who introduced me into Takebe, the producer. We ended up going out for a drink and all of a sudden we started talking about job opportunities.

HH: What is your general idea on Kamen Rider?
Gen: I really like the whole using evil to fight evil idea. The early Riders were remodeled by Shocker to fight for evil, but instead they used that “evil” power to fight for justice instead. The power itself might be evil, but it’s all up to how it’s being used. This is present in most of the Riders.

HH: Since Takebe offered you this job, has she made any special requests?
Gen: Yup. She told me she wanted to return to early Heisei series. Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki and Faiz in particular.

HH: Have you taken any inspirations from types of media for Gaim?
Gen: Hmm, not really. I’m writing Kamen Rider for the first time after all. While I’m creating something new, I don’t want to stray away too much.
However, you might see some throwbacks to my favorite, Kamen Rider Black. The whole Rider Battle is actually because of Kamen Rider Black. I loved how Black fought Shadowmoon, his own step-brother. I want to create the same excitement I got for the newer generation.

HH: Finally, how different will Gaim be?
Gen: One thing is that Takebe told me not to go with the two part episode formula. There was no point in letting a monster get away one episode only to immediately die afterwards.

Watch Da Birdie

I find it surprising the idea to bring back the early Hesei-era style was not Gen's idea.

Still, pretty exciting. I like the "the monster won't get away and die later", that gets a bit too annoying in W-Wizard. I guess Gaim will come off looking more competent due to this, no more "look over there!" moments while the monster runs away.

Slayven

I find it surprising the idea to bring back the early Hesei-era style was not Gen's idea.

Still, pretty exciting. I like the "the monster won't get away and die later", that gets a bit too annoying in W-Wizard. I guess Gaim will come off looking more competent due to this, no more "look over there!" moments while the monster runs away.

Or "the monster got away, lets go have lunch".

You think we might get a Shadowgaim?

shaowebb

Just saw Wizard episode 50. They saved EVERYTHING for the last storyline 10 episodes it seems. Only other moments that mattered till now were Phoenix, Gremlin's backstory, and the birth of the new Mages.

I would have honestly used what happened in episode 50 sans the white wizard part earlier in the season to build a purpose and direction for Haruto, but at least the series is FINALLY paying off. Here's hoping it ends all OOO's like for impact.

Also I think Gaim is going to be all batshit insane on purpose and filled with all the other Riders to try and recapture the pacing and interactions that took place on Den-O. Its no secret they've wanted to make another series as popular as that one for awhile, but they keep missing the mark. I guess they figured what they needed was for them to have a host of Rider personalities right out the gates that all are loud and play off each other the way the Imagin did constantly. Wrapping it in an easily mockable and insane theme sets the tone for the silly I think. Im betting we are going for pure comedy this time around. Here's hoping.

NeonZ

There are some scans about Gaim's toyline that seem to suggest very strongly that the Rider Arms (armors based on W, OOO, Fouze and Wizard for Gaim-type Riders) will actually appear in the next Movie Wars. There are only silhouettes for the armors right now though, no clear pictures.

I think Takebe always had wanted to bring it back. She was Kiva's main producer, and in several ways it seemed like Kiva attempted to go for early Heisei Rider, in spite of the obvious Den-O influences constraining it. For OOO, she always mentioned elements of earlier Heisei shows as inspiration (like the Kougami foundation being originally a Smart Brain homage before taking life of its own), but it seemed like she needed to stick to something close to W due to its enormous success. Now, following up Wizard's relative failure, rather than a new hit, seems to finally allow her to make a series breaking away from Den-O's and W's formulas for real.

Its no secret they've wanted to make another series as popular as that one for awhile, but they keep missing the mark.

W beat Den-O in everything besides DVD sales. If anything, they've been trying to recreate W for 3 years, but always failing to achieve the same overall success (OOO and Fourze had much better toy sales than W at least- but they lost ratings very quickly, much faster than in the earlier Heisei era, but Wizard took a big hit in merchandising sales too and that's likely why they'll try something different now).

Wrapping it in an easily mockable and insane theme sets the tone for the silly I think. Im betting we are going for pure comedy this time around. Here's hoping.

Read that interview. They seem to be aiming for the early Heisei era style, not Den-O. The W style was pretty close to Den-O already with the wacky personalities, 2 parters and victims of the week.

Tenumi

Banned
I'm kinda curious, debating whether or not to watch Gaim or not. Never watched a Kamen Rider series before. Most I've seen was the first episode of Wizard.

the reason why haruto is so emotionally fucked up is because of the movie... scarred for life.

White wizard is badass, but the suit isn't made for hand on hand combat imo. The immovable helmet makes it look like the live action batman suits with the unmovable cowl lol.

NeonZ

just read the nytimes article, and while this is true for ultraman, is this really true for KR and SS??

Sentai and Rider still have very high merchandising sales, unlike Ultraman, which had its merchandising collapsing around 2002-2003, but Sentai's ratings are heading to irrelevance currently and Riders' also aren't very good. Riders' box office also took a hit since Fourze's solo movie, although that just meant returning to pre-Decade levels.

Still, those are two series and from the same studio. It's not really very healthy. Imagine if there were only two anime running every season...

WillyFive

Don't mess with White Wizard's daughter!

iYZuK4VR4qKAB.gif

ibpWrOLaR2tNAF.gif

iNyZxIVgmsInN.gif

ibr5HpoHTVnpCr.gif

Also, Kyoryuger is hot right now.

just read the nytimes article, and while this is true for ultraman, is this really true for KR and SS??

As for the CGI vs. real-life stuff; I can see where the article is coming from. The final battles for the Kamen Rider and Sentai theatrical movies have recently been mostly or all CGI, the more recent ones don't even use real suits but CG versions of them. They might as well be cartoons.

Still, those are two series and from the same studio. It's not really very healthy. Imagine if there were only two anime running every season...

Yeah, I've noticed this too. But, at least we are still getting new shows from time to time, like Garo and the new upcoming Gouraigan; and Indonesia has Bima Satria Garuda and China has their Sentai-clone Giant Saver.

Probably suit actors for the other villains. I know Candelia is played by a dude.

I look forward to Ramires fighting next episode.

The younger guy was Candy's suit actor dude...he's the one who plays all the girls. Played Yellow Buster last year, Gokai Yellow, Gosei Pink, etc. The older dude was Chaos's voice actor (who I don't know how I didn't realize was Gurren Lagann's narrator...)

and yeah, when I saw the preview, I realized Ramires is the only one who haven't seen fight yet.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Torin having quite a big role definitely made up for the lack of Kuroki's involvements in Gobusters for me.

I really hope
he's not really dead. Especially now since his story arch was supposed to blow wide open. He was fighting at the end of next week's episode preview, but he was with the spirit rangers AND Yayoi, so I dunno.

shaowebb

I'm kinda curious, debating whether or not to watch Gaim or not. Never watched a Kamen Rider series before. Most I've seen was the first episode of Wizard.

Go with the tried and true W.

ibgxLHqAerCcSH.gif

or this boss right here. Kamen Rider OOO's
3RjHuA6.gif

W and OOO's are probably two of the best there are in Kamen Rider shows. Eventually my love of OOO's made him my favorite over W...but juuuuuuuuuust barely. If Kamen RIder W hadn't had Akiko it would have won. Phillip and Shotaro are amazing, but Ankh and Eiji are too and if I got to compare secondary cast Birth over Accel the Dopants villain group over the Greeed villains but the Greeed villain of the week over the Dopant villain of the week designs with the Dopant villain of the week story generally went back and forth with the Greeed villain of the week for best stories and BOTH had amazing building subplots that culminated into insane finales that were great.

Like I said its damned close but OOO's is my main by a small margin. It can and has gone either way. Watch both eventually...you will love them.

Watch Da Birdie

I feel OOO is legitimately the deepest Kamen Rider show out there, even though a lot of stuff you don't really appreciate till after you watch it because it's kind of slow at times.

Yeah, OOO is my least favorite not bad Rider show in the last few years. I mean, its obviously better than Decade and Wizard, but not even close to W and Fourze.

Top Bottom