• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

WillyFive

What is confirmed:

Toei Japan Channel details

http://www.toei.co.jp/annai/press/1202186_1133.html

Today our company announces the Toei Japan Channel, a subscription service aimed for Japanese living in North America.

It will be available through MyGlobeTV, provided by GlobeCast, a New York-based company that provides non-English programming across North America. (This service is not available outside North America.)

Toei Japan Channel will not only deliver Toei's films and television programming, but also those available on Toei Video and from Central Arts K.K. (a Toei Video company), bringing a variety of content to viewers in North America.

MyGlobeTV https://www.myglobetv.com/

And this is what costs $20 a month. MyGlobeTV's subscription that has the Toei channel is $20 a month.

This is certainly not aimed at the English speaking fanbase, but to the Japanese-Americans that would like to view content from their homeland; similar to how Hispanics in the US pay a premium to get Univision, Wapa, and Telemundo.

And I didn't find any info on what it is airing, including if it airs any Toku.

Of course, this is a good start. It being on MyGlobeTV means that in the future it could find it's way to Satellite services like DirectTV and Dish, and eventually to web services like Hulu and Netflix (just like Hispanic stations).

shaowebb

Soooooo...I just caught my first episode of Super Sentai ever outside of Akibaranger with Kyoryuger.

o_O
What in the flying fuck did I just see?

Action=awesome. The fights have great effects, angles and are extremely stylish. Its nothing but high spots. I could see this shit as being legendary trademark moves in fighting games if they were ripped off.

Story, acting, cast,enemies, pacing= wut?

Toys=pretty good. Moving parts, lots of close ups on them in action, transforming toys, they make noise, got spinny bits, and you can load shotgun shell like batteries into them in a way that looks really fun and satisfying.

Im mindfucked. Super Sentai Kyoryuger looks corny as hell, but I guess only moderately more so than Power Rangers were as I think back.

Hell with it. I'm an animator, I do comics, and I love the action. I need to study these shots and uses of line and angle for popping the special effects. I'm in. :)

Soooooo...I just caught my first episode of Super Sentai ever outside of Akibaranger with Kyoryuger.

o_O
What in the flying fuck did I just see?

Action=awesome. The fights have great effects, angles and are extremely stylish. Its nothing but high spots. I could see this shit as being legendary trademark moves in fighting games if they were ripped off.

Story, acting, cast,enemies, pacing= wut?

Toys=pretty good. Moving parts, lots of close ups on them in action, transforming toys, they make noise, got spinny bits, and you can load shotgun shell like batteries into them in a way that looks really fun and satisfying.

Im mindfucked. Super Sentai Kyoryuger looks corny as hell, but I guess only moderately more so than Power Rangers were as I think back.

Hell with it. I'm an animator, I do comics, and I love the action. I need to study these shots and uses of line and angle for popping the special effects. I'm in. :)

Welcome aboard. Sentai can be a real doofy ride sometimes, but it's fun stuff.

I need to get caught up. Got in to one of my "not watching stuff for a couple of months" funks even though I was loving the shit out of the show.

So.. what did you watch?

Kyoryuger.

vareon

More fascinating interview on Gaim, this time with Naomi Takeda.

http://henshinjustice.com/2013/09/12/why-gaim-is-an-orange-naomi-takebe-interview/

Hyper Hobby: How did Gaim come about?

Takebe: We wanted to do something with multiple Riders. Every Rider after W has only had 2 Riders and we wanted to break away from that. I mean, you have AKB 48 with multiple members, there’s also sports teams and so many other things. Having multiple members brings excitement on different levels. We slowly ventured into the Sengoku era and planned on having that as the core theme. Every Rider would be taking inspiration from that era. But it would be boring if they all looked the same.

HH: Why an orange out of all fruits?
Takebe: We actually researched into what fruits were popular with the kids. Orange came out on top.

HH: Regarding Kamen Rider Griton. He’s more of a nut, why is that?
Takebe: That’s because Gen Urobuchi said he wanted to put the locks in different ranks. He thought nuts would be a good idea. Just like in OOO, you had Cell Medals and Core Medals separating each other. In Gaim there will be fruits and nuts.

HH: It’s a bit like in the Sengoku era, where they’d form alliances together.
Takebe: Yes, it makes things more interesting. While they were enemies yesterday, they are allies today. But the alliances aren’t always perfect. Betrayal may or may not occur.

HH: Was the dance team thing already decided at that point?
Takebe: It wasn’t actually. We had already planned on having different factions, but we weren’t sure how to do it. Until Gen suggested dance teams. He’s been doing a very good job at creating a colorful, vibrant and charming world. Gaim is set in a fictional city, just like W’s Fuuto, which gives us more room with the creativity. We’ve also gotten a lot of help from Gen’s company, nitro+, with the designs. Their monster designs are very unique.

HH: What do you feel about the main staff?
Takebe: It’s the perfect team. Since we’re looking to go back to the early roots of Heisei, like Kuuga, Agito and Ryuki, we recruited the veteran director, Ryuta Tasaki. Tasaki has worked on some of these shows. But we still want to create something new and unique, which is why we have a new writer that’s famous in the anime world.

Hype train at full speed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm glad they're going for making the city not feel just like normal Tokyo, like what W did with Fuuto which I really liked (and really fit the Noir theme and everything), also nice to finally have them acknowledge the mysterious Griton.

But oh boy, I have a feeling we're gonna have a lot of MISUNDERSTANDINGS going on here. I fully expect at least 2 pointless fights every episode, and at least 1 Rider being tossed into a river per month.

WillyFive

But oh boy, I have a feeling we're gonna have a lot of MISUNDERSTANDINGS going on here. I fully expect at least 2 pointless fights every episode, and at least 1 Rider being tossed into a river per month.

Hopefully they don't let Inoue anywhere near the writing room. Outside of Jetman, I really don't like his stuff.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
For a goofy show Kyory handling plot and character development better then serious business Gobusters.

Ehhh... I dunno. Too hammed up and the plot still doesn't feel engaging. It's more in-your-face than subtle. Sure you got "emotional" focus eps but so did Go-onger for that matter.

I'm glad they're going for making the city not feel just like normal Tokyo, like what W did with Fuuto which I really liked (and really fit the Noir theme and everything), also nice to finally have them acknowledge the mysterious Griton.

I-Inoue? Oh god D:

WillyFive

Ehhh... I dunno. Too hammed up and the plot still doesn't feel engaging. It's more in-your-face than subtle. Sure you got "emotional" focus eps but so did Go-onger for that matter.

There's a HUGE gap in character quality between Kyoryuger and Go-Onger. Sure, Kyoryu loves to ham it up (it's another reason it's so engaging to watch), but characters are characters with back-stories, conflicts, and valid emotional reactions versus the gang from Go-Onger, whose emotions and thoughts were completely outside the realm of the logic and the human nervous system.

And I don't feel Go-Busters was subtle. Timeranger was subtle. Go-Busters is just vague.

Watch Da Birdie

I saw some cool (mock-up images?) of the Gaim Riders wearing each other's armor, which I imagine will be possible to do with the toy-line...

Gaim with Banana Arms looks really neat, so I hope we see them switching with each other at points in the show. It's always cool to see the First and Second Rider switch gear, like what Fourze and Meteor did once with the Switches...there's this awesome fanart I remember seeing of Meteor in Flame and Elec States that I wish was real. :(

LostAnkh

1Xtvk1m.gif

Don't know how to gif properly.

vareon

Garo S3 23

We're heading to an amazing end, it seems. And in an interesting twist in the universe of Garo, the final form of Zedom is not a naked woman! He looks just like a disgruntled old guy!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Megaforce 11

Sounds like the acting is getting better, that's good. I enjoyed this episode.
Though I have to laugh at the end where they demorphed and they were in a completely different location. You could have least tried to have the location look like the Goseiger footage, but apparently that was too much.

WillyFive

"Mega Mission"
1.391 million viewers (02/02/13)

"He Blasted Me With Science"
1.871 million viewers (02/09/13)

"Going Viral"
1.781 million viewers (02/16/13)

"Stranger Ranger"
2.011 million viewers (02/23/13)

"United We Stand"
1.811 million viewers (03/02/13)

"Harmony and Dizchord"
1.526 million viewers (03/09/13)

"Who's Crying Now?"
1.565 million viewers (03/16/13)

"Robo Knight"
1.575 million viewers (03/30/13)

"Prince Takes Knight"
1.682 million viewers (04/06/13)

"Man and Machine"
1.607 million viewers (09/07/13)

It's impressive how little it dropped from "Prince Takes Knight" and "Man and Machine" despite the five month chasm inbetween.

ZoddGutts

Gotta say I'm surprise by how good Garo S3 has turned out. Was a bit mixed early on with the new characters and setting but I ended up really liking them. There's been some pretty good twist in the series and the story has been paced pretty well. Liked how the main bad guy for most of the series is a huge troll. One other thing I've been surprise is by how good the CG has been through out the series. S2 Garo had some spotty/oudated CG. Anyways here's hoping for a strong final battle finish. Ep 23 already had a epic final like battle.

vareon

Gotta say I'm surprise by how good Garo S3 has turned out. Was a bit mixed early on with the new characters and setting but I ended up really liking them. There's been some pretty good twist in the series and the story has been paced pretty well. Liked how the main bad guy for most of the series is a huge troll. One other thing I've been surprise is by how good the CG has been through out the series. S2 Garo had some spotty/oudated CG. Anyways here's hoping for a strong final battle finish. Ep 23 already had a epic final like battle.

The suit for
Golden Garo
felt jarring lol. After all that CG, and tada! Suit!

Watch Da Birdie

It seems the Amadam dude in the crossover next week for Kamen Rider dresses up as different villains, the preview shows Gaara (from the OOO Movie), and Shiro/Gao from the Den-O films.

Rajack

Kamen Rider Wizard 51

After 2 amazing episodes we get this anticlimactic conclusion to the main storyline? Why Toei? Why?

NeonZ

I thought the first half of the episode was pretty good, the problem was everything after the commercials. The battle just seemed to lack weight. And the resolution to Koyomi's story, although
better than randomly bringing her back, still seemed fairly week. Haruto has been talking for weeks about attempting to find some other way to save her without sacrificing others, but in the end, it's just all thrown away in a moment. I don't think the conclusion to that had proper build up.

Preview for next episode, with Decade's return. Den-O(Momotaros) also has his voice actor back. Those seem to be the only returning actors though, all other Riders likely just will have random VAs, or be silent suits. Although they seem to appear in too many different scenes to be just silent.(Well, Gaim likely will have his original voice too, of course)

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/wizard/next/index.html

During his journey, Haruto finds a magic stone that calls for him and absorbs him into a parallel world. There, some children are being pursued by monsters. They carry a box which seems to have several rings, and when the rings are used...

Sophia

Biggest issue of Wizard is pretty much exemplified in the final episode: They didn't have nearly as big of a story to tell as they should have had.

That Wizard finale was probably the most dull and anti-climatic of any Toku I've ever seen. Just, we don't care about the characters, what Gremlin did made no sense, there was just kinda a quick fight and that's it. I was so excited for this series and its like they went out of their way to make it as dull and uninteresting as possible considering the theme.

I'm praying Gaim makes up for this turd. You know I'm not usually this harsh on a show but DAMN. I'd take Decade over Wizard any day.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I thought the first half of the episode was pretty good, the problem was everything after the commercials. The battle just seemed to lack weight. And the resolution to Koyomi's story, although
better than randomly bringing her back, still seemed fairly week. Haruto has been talking for weeks about attempting to find some other way to save her without sacrificing others, but in the end, it's just all thrown away in a moment. I don't think the conclusion to that had proper build up.

Preview for next episode, with Decade's return. Den-O(Momotaros) also has his voice actor back. Those seem to be the only returning actors though, all other Riders likely just will have random VAs, or be silent suits. Although they seem to appear in too many different scenes to be just silent.(Well, Gaim likely will have his original voice too, of course)

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/wizard/next/index.html

During his journey, Haruto finds a magic stone that calls for him and absorbs him into a parallel world. There, some children are being pursued by monsters. They carry a box which seems to have several rings, and when the rings are used...

seeing hibiki croon wizard will be a sight. i also hope all the other riders turn on decades weak ass.

WillyFive

Everything that happened during that finale was done better on the Kyoryuger episode that aired right before it. It's crazy that a mid-season episode was more compelling, dramatic, and exciting than a series finale. The mourning for a death of a character; the three extra heroes coming back, transforming, and fighting; the music choices; and the climax of each episode; Kyoryuger's episode was a better finale than Wizard's own was. Also, did anyone notice how badly the Wizard finale was shot? It looked significantly worse than previous episodes; with dull lighting, flat camera angles, and even the fight was boring as heck.

What a waste of a year for Kamen Rider. Anyway, maybe Decade's crossover with be fun.

http://youtu.be/BdiHNUKQbwQ

Video of the Gaim reveal conference.

I love hearing the new sounds they come up with every year.

ReiGun

I knew Wizard was going to be some bullshit from the first couple episodes. Y'all are better than me for sticking with it for so long.

Top Bottom