• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm halfway through Wizard and I'm enjoying it.

I really consider all the hate for it hilariously overblown (not really on here,elsewhere) and some sort of weird inside joke that everyone parrots, I agree it's the weakest post-Decade show in terms of characters and plot, but I find it pretty steady compared to, say, the weirdness of latter-Kabuto (which I did enjoy, mind you),Kiva, Faiz, and Hibiki. But perhaps it's TOO safe.

http://youtu.be/BdiHNUKQbwQ

Video of the Gaim reveal conference.

I guess those little theme songs are gonna play like as they're transforming and the fruit falls on their head, I really like the jingles.

Kyoryuger 29: Another great episode, just so much happening on the screen. Can't wait for all of the rangers to fight together at the same time.

vareon

I'm halfway through Wizard and I'm enjoying it.

I really consider all the hate for it hilariously overblown (not really on here,elsewhere) and some sort of weird inside joke that everyone parrots, I agree it's the weakest post-Decade show in terms of characters and plot, but I find it pretty steady compared to, say, the weirdness of latter-Kabuto (which I did enjoy, mind you),Kiva, Faiz, and Hibiki. But perhaps it's TOO safe.

The parroting is what really annoys me. Some of my friends watched it and kept making the same Wizzles joke each week, and some who dropped kept joking about it too. It's hard to have an actual discussio about it.

I dunno, I think Wizard's hate is extreme, but it's not really unwarranted. Episodes 1 through like 20 or 21 is pretty good, but right after they
killed off Pheonix
, all plot movement or any sense of real story progression screeches to a halt and doesn't really get moving for like 15 episodes and that's really, really frustrating. From the point
White Wizard reveals himself as Wiseman
onward, the series has been back to being pretty alright.

I haven't seen the finale yet though so that may color my opinion of the finale a bit, so yeah.

vareon

I dunno, I think Wizard's hate is extreme, but it's not really unwarranted. Episodes 1 through like 20 or 21 is pretty good, but right after they
killed off Pheonix
, all plot movement or any sense of real story progression screeches to a halt and doesn't really get moving for like 15 episodes and that's really, really frustrating. From the point
White Wizard reveals himself as Wiseman
onward, the series has been back to being pretty alright.

I haven't seen the finale yet though so that may color my opinion of the finale a bit, so yeah.

You can hate it to the extreme if you wish, but you put some points for discussion (why is 1-20 good, why does it suck later, etc) which is good in my book. What I don't like is people who went "lol wizzles" in any KR related stuff (or in my case, a really good photography of figuarts).

You can hate it to the extreme if you wish, but you put some points for discussion (why is 1-20 good, why does it suck later, etc) which is good in my book. What I don't like is people who went "lol wizzles" in any KR related stuff (or in my case, a really good photography of figuarts).

Ah, alright. I misunderstood your frustration.

Yeah, the mindless "hahaha wizard blows" stuff is annoying, also that's pretty stupid of people to do that in a figuarts photography thing.

I think the suits for the riders and certain kaijin like Gremlin and Pheonix are really nice looking and I'd probably buy a figuart or two from Wizard even though I'm not the biggest fan of the show.

Sophia

That gap between when
Haruto got Infinity and when Fueki appeared
was pretty bad. Eight episodes with almost zero plot development outside of a few details from Gremlin.

It really felt like they had more episodes than story. Like the whole thing could have been done in 30 or so episodes had they cut out the filler. Would have made the phantoms seem more menacing too.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The parroting is what really annoys me. Some of my friends watched it and kept making the same Wizzles joke each week, and some who dropped kept joking about it too. It's hard to have an actual discussio about it.

Wizzles? I don't get it.

That gap between when
Haruto got Infinity and when Fueki appeared
was pretty bad. Eight episodes with almost zero plot development outside of a few details from Gremlin.

It really felt like they had more episodes than story. Like the whole thing could have been done in 30 or so episodes had they cut out the filler. Would have made the phantoms seem more menacing too.

I completely agree, especially about the 30 episodes thing. I've been thinking that for a while when I was watching the series. I also feel like if they had picked a different actress for Koyomi that wasn't busy all the time (that's why she doesn't show up for like half of the episodes) I would feel more sad about
Koyomi's second death
though knowing Toei, that probably changed in the finale didn't it?

Slayven

I completely agree, especially about the 30 episodes thing. I've been thinking that for a while when I was watching the series. I also feel like if they had picked a different actress for Koyomi that wasn't busy all the time (that's why she doesn't show up for like half of the episodes) I would feel more sad about
Koyomi's second death
though knowing Toei, that probably changed in the finale didn't it?

They should have done more with Long

Slayven

Yeah, the whole magic vs police dealing with the phantoms could have been a great plot. Long did nothing but seem like he was going to do anything and then just got his glasses bitch slapped off his face.

The fact they didn't do a Anti Phantom tech based Rider is criminal.

WillyFive

It's a show based entirely about missed opportunities.

The show did have some good points; I though the victim-of-the-week arcs were mostly pretty well written, despite the actual main characters of the show having pretty much nothing to them and doing nothing for most of the show. And yeah, Long's probably the biggest misstep in the show.

Wizard felt like them trying to do a kid friendly garo, but not well.

Still, it's probably only on top list of favorite Riders in terms of abilities and fight choreography. Probably the most OP final form there is. Heck the bad guy had to steal his infinity ring (or drain his mana).

vareon

I think Wizard had an inherent problem with the plot. The birth of a new phantom involves the victim dying. That means the monster of the week cannot succeed unless Toei wants this to be a depressing series, which makes most of the episodes stale. It's no coincidence that one of my favorite episode was when Haruto lied to a gate saying her friend's alive and well abroad.

Missed opportunity is the perfect term alright. I wonder if the series faced some production challenges that they have to drop some of the better elements.

Wizzles? I don't get it.

It's the term my friends use to speak Wizard in a bad way, but they don't get it either. It's just because "the other guys in the forum said it".

Yeah, Wizard is just a damn shame. It could have been fucking stellar, but Toei just constantly decided to do the wrong thing with the show time after time. The rider designs themselves are really nice to look at aside from the mages, though.

Man, that's another thing that bummed me out. The mages don't look anywhere near as cool as I was expecting. They're just really plain looking and just blah.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah, Wizard is just a damn shame. It could have been fucking stellar, but Toei just constantly decided to do the wrong thing with the show time after time. The rider designs themselves are really nice to look at aside from the mages, though.

Man, that's another thing that bummed me out. The mages don't look anywhere near as cool as I was expecting. They're just really plain looking and just blah.

cheaping out on the mages was a shame. even more so because they werent even cool looking like zectroopers or riottroopers. they look like they were put together at the last minute. if it wasnt for decade completely dropping the ball in just about every aspect, and the main rider suits looking cool in wizard, they would be on the same level. well except wizard has an ending, which definetely gives it marks over non ending series like decade and faiz.

NeonZ

has there been any conflict rumors for wizard production? Those mage outfits REAALLLLY do look last minute slapped together.

They're recycled from the Wizard summer movie, where there was an army of Mages, so they had to be cheap due to the number of suits involved.

ZoddGutts

They must have done big favors to get that level of CG. Season 2 of Garo had early PS2 levels of CG, so cheap looking and awkwardly animated.

Anyways just finished Ultraman Nexus series, really liked it. Surprise by how dark it was early on, tons of deaths the show had. But then again this was pre-2005 back when Tokusatsu shows had no problem doing some dark stuff in kids shows. Since the series was only 37 eps it didn't have a lot of fillers, the series had a great ending too. Love how one character was getting trolled hard for the first half of the series, felt bad for him, at least he got he's moment at the end.

vareon

They must have done big favors to get that level of CG. Season 2 of Garo had early PS2 levels of CG, so cheap looking and awkwardly animated.

Anyways just finished Ultraman Nexus series, really liked it. Surprise by how dark it was early on, tons of deaths the show had. But then again this was pre-2005 back when Tokusatsu shows had no problem doing some dark stuff in kids shows. Since the series was only 37 eps it didn't have a lot of fillers, the series had a great ending too. Love how one character was getting trolled hard for the first half of the series, felt bad for him, at least he got he's moment at the end.

Nexus had problems exactly because of this. Namely, the show wasn't intended for kids yet it was given the Sunday morning slot.

NeonZ

IS this the first time a Sentai's movie had a direct impact on the series plot? Other then a camo from the movie zords?

Go-onger had a two episode story arc following up the movie's plot. It wasn't connected to the show's main story though.

Successors to the movie villains arrive, take out the villains of the tv show for a while, and took over the plot during those two episodes. There was also a new secondary character specifically tied to the movie mecha. After that was done though, the show went back to business as usual.

shaowebb

This is the best week for the ultimate Kyoryuger gif making challenge. So many gif worthy moments this episode.

Please tell me Kyoryuger gets better...action loooks fine, but I watched episodes 1 and 2 and I have seen some incredibly laughable stuff so far. Does super sentai ever get more serious? Its my first one. Beginning to think I should have went Gokaiger.

Please tell me Kyoryuger gets better...action loooks fine, but I watched episodes 1 and 2 and I have seen some incredibly laughable stuff so far. Does super sentai ever get more serious? Its my first one. Beginning to think I should have went Gokaiger.

Kyoryuger is just a particularly light-hearted season. Check out something like Maskman or GoBusters if you want something more serious in tone.

Honestly, Kyoryuger may be in my top 3 or so Sentai shows if it keeps up like this. It's so much fun to watch every week. It's not all that deep, but it makes up for it in how much fun it is to watch for the action and humor. This is the only sentai i've seen to really make me laugh out loud at some points.

WillyFive

I love how the show gave a legitimate reason as to why they danced. This is the music Sentai after all.

This is the best week for the ultimate Kyoryuger gif making challenge. So many gif worthy moments this episode.

I wish I could gif the entire episode, but alas.

izdHYurhWldAP.gif

iwoY8VjSjF7pY.gif

iisOv70pAMtTG.gif

iM6UguS46CrNh.gif

ibzH1CyV1QnwHG.gif

i0SCPMWetLALj.gif

Kyoryuger is just a particularly light-hearted season. Check out something like Maskman or GoBusters if you want something more serious in tone.

I also recommend Jetman and Timeranger for srs bsnss Sentai (especially since they are the best of the serious ones I've seen).

LostAnkh

I don't think you should take Super Sentai seriously with the first few episodes, because it's a kids show and they want to get the kiddies familiar with the characters before they pick up the pace with the plot. It's usually at the half-way point when they make a lot of progress with the story, and with the introduction of the 6th ranger along the way.

Other than that, Kyoryuger is a fun-filled season with a lot of silly themes and gimmicks. I REALLY enjoy it, and am glad I didn't look into it before watching it. I mean, look at Goseiger, a chunk of the Sentai fandom didn't like it and people only stirred away from it because of the majority.

Tenumi

Banned
Sure, my Sentai watch list isn't that big right now, with just Gokaiger, GoBusters, and Half each of Kyoryuger and Jetman, but Kyoryuger easily is pushing towards my personal favorite. Its silly, but its fun. I can pop on an episode knowing that I'm going to have fun watching it, no matter the episode I choose. That's quite telling to me that, at least for one person, its doing things right.

isny

napkin dispenser
"I accidentaly joined your roll call, but I'm still alive! What should I do?"

"How should I know?"

Oh man, such a great episode!

shaowebb

iM6UguS46CrNh.gif

Okay...that gif is enough for me to keep watching. Fuck plot. Fuck pacing. Fuck everything. That looks fun and I know I'll enjoy watching this.

shaowebb

You need to marathon this show, and report in frequently.

I dont have the time to marathon anything otherwise I'd have finished Kamen Rider Blade long ago. I'll keep shoving in episodes though and pop in to report how it feels. Its my first sentai and its...um...different from Kamen Rider.

Top Bottom