• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

I dont have the time to marathon anything otherwise I'd have finished Kamen Rider Blade long ago. I'll keep shoving in episodes though and pop in to report how it feels. Its my first sentai and its...um...different from Kamen Rider.

Yeah, but Kyoryuger is glorious. Take your worries about "kiddie" and "wtf" and "why are there so many colors" and you are going to have the time of your life.

I think I'm ready to declare Kyoryuger has already cracked into my top 5 Sentai of all time list.

shaowebb

Yeah, but Kyoryuger is glorious. Take your worries about "kiddie" and "wtf" and "why are there so many colors" and you are going to have the time of your life.

I think I'm ready to declare Kyoryuger has already cracked into my top 5 Sentai of all time list.

I'll watch what I can when I can like always so dont worry. Besides I technically just finished Wizard given all its got is a two part cameo prologue left before they shut it down for Gaim. I guess I just expected too much from Wizard as a character is all. It was fun, but it just irritates me how much potential was left untouched for the character...he hardly grew at all and in the end
he essentially fails. Gremlin took down White Wizard/Wiseman, Wiseman took down medusa and all he did was trap Phoenix and beat Gremlin by pulling out his philosopher's stone and that meant Gremlin was still injured by Wiseman without it so he was cake after that anyways.

What I wanted was honestly for Phoenix to come back after growing powerful enough to survive the sun. He would essentially have become the most powerful villain ever (or at least top 5) if that had happened. Lots of plot potential and things that I saw as exciting that they could have built toward were never done is all I guess bugged me about the show. Due to how it never took risks or grew Haruto it just seemed kind of so/so where it had potential to be more. Currently I think I had more fun with Decade than Wizard for Diend and Apollo Geist and the awesome movie with Kivara.

Here's hoping Gaim surprises me, but for now I'll treat it like Fourze...I'll skip it until later and finish up some older shows. I'm watching Blade and I'm at ep 31 and I just started Faiz with my wife and am on ep 3. Kyoryuger will likely take the time I set aside for Wizard and I'll see how it turns out. Honestly I was really interested in Gokaiger and Gobusters but the gifs from Kyoryuger are what have me watching it. I could really use some of these kind of shots in my comic book work and animations.

WillyFive

I felt the same feeling as showebb when I went from Sentai to Rider. It all felt so weird, alien, and unappealing. All the soap-opera-ish drama, the very short and simple fights, music that wasn't from a live orchestra, etc. That's why I found Den-O and Fourze so appealing, as opposed to something like Faiz and Blade.

Also, onlookers on the Kyoto Edo set (the one they use all the time) are leaking what happens on some scenes for the next Movie War. Sounds weird and fun.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
RtsLBkZ.jpg

(not) Kamen SWEET WAVE RIDER

shaowebb

One thing I have to say I am enjoying about Kamen Rider...the food. Since watching these shows I've been introduced to things like various Tofu dishes from Kabuto, to Takoyaki and Taiyaki in Blade to dried squid in Decade. I have an asian grocer near my college and I get to pop by and hunt for stuff these days and thanks to recipes from the internet and their groceries I've gotten a lot of cool things in my diet lately thanks to Kamen Rider shows introducing me to various foods.

Today's menu?

Longevity Buns
Sweet filled steamed bun. Filled with sweetened red bean paste, sesame paste, or lotus paste.

These things are fucking delicious. Thanks kamen rider! Wonder how Gaim will effect my diet...

LostAnkh

I'm watching Kakuranger outside of Kyoryuger, and am more than happy to let you guys know what I think of it so far.

I finished episode 13 today, with not too much that happened involving plot since the first 3 episodes and the previous episode (I am SERIOUS when I say this). They introduce new weapons & mecha, and another character along the way. With each filler, they introduce something new that I can appreciate and the action can be entertaining, even though you don't learn too much about the characters besides personality.

But from what I've seen in the next episode preview, it looks like the show will start picking up on story and I hear that it gets really good towards the half-way point. Aside from all that, Kakuranger is fun to watch, but it's going to take time for you to fully get invested into it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
(not) Kamen SWEET WAVE RIDER

I still hope Toei gives us a Kamen Rider Aqua series when we reach the point of time he came from.

EDIT: Wizard's humor isn't that great overall, but I have to say the two-part episode with Hobgoblin and Nitou's guitar friend was pretty hilarious, especially since Medusa and Sora basically ended up pulling a Team Rocket-style scheme.

Ummm...TGS has started and Climax Heroes is nowhere to be found! This is a bit surprising seeing as this was the year that it may have left the Wii version behind and had the PS3 as the console of choice. I'll wait and see.

WillyFive

Ummm...TGS has started and Climax Heroes is nowhere to be found! This is a bit surprising seeing as this was the year that it may have left the Wii version behind and had the PS3 as the console of choice. I'll wait and see.

There's a chance the series may be retiring, with Battride War and that other new Kamen Rider game IP.

There's a chance the series may be retiring, with Battride War and that other new Kamen Rider game IP.

Travellers Record is pretty much an All Rider Generation replacement, though. I guess the same could be true for Battride, but it really isn't the same as a one-on-one fighter like Climax Heroes. I guess Bamco could still see it being a "replacement", but I dunno.

Super was my first Climax Heroes, but I really enjoyed it. As a pretty casual fighting game fan, I doubt it's the kind of thing I'd buy every year, but I'd probably cop every other iteration.

maybe they are waiting for the show to start before start pimping climax heroes?

Unless all that's new this year is infinity and hyper.

With the 2 special episodes of Wizard coming this would seem like the perfect time to. But you may be right. Gaim is starting late and looking at the info by comparing when the show started versus the game being released was about 2-3 months apart. So if one's coming then we should hear about in late October - early November and it should drop in mid/late December - early January.

shaowebb

If there is a new Climax Heroes game and its on PSP again I am so down. I still dont own a PS3 due to expensive setbacks so still no Battride for me yet.

Still...Chou Climax Heroes 2 would have me pumped. I did that OT with ReXXXsoprano's help, and I still play it frequently. Its pretty much my travel game to this day. I would be pumped to play another. Here's hoping they finally add Kamen Rider Stronger next time around.

If there is a new Climax Heroes game and its on PSP again I am so down. I still dont own a PS3 due to expensive setbacks so still no Battride for me yet.

Still...Chou Climax Heroes 2 would have me pumped. I did that OT with ReXXXsoprano's help, and I still play it frequently. Its pretty much my travel game to this day. I would be pumped to play another. Here's hoping they finally add Kamen Rider Stronger next time around.

If there is another one, I'm definitely down to get the OT filled with goodness. I had a blast putting those primers out and I was so happy that many people saw use for them and understood a game like Climax Heroes can be looked at and dictomized at a high level.

So here's to that!

shaowebb

If there is another one, I'm definitely down to get the OT filled with goodness. I had a blast putting those primers out and I was so happy that many people saw use for them and understood a game like Climax Heroes can be looked at and dictomized at a high level.

So here's to that!

Word.
Once I discovered how to set damage to minimal and turn off climax time the game became a paradise for footsies instead of a playground for TOD. After all, it was pretty obvious damage was high to help the kiddies and that Climax Time was not a tool for real matches but just a way to allow young players to do their finale every match for the finishing blow. Turned the full meter filler that was climax time off, turned the damage down to human levels at bare minimal and suddenly the game got to show off just how deep a single conversion off a hit could be and just how important breaking combos, footsies and meter management became. Often if you breakered too much you'd guard break yourself so you had to know how to footsie HARD to keep from ending up in scenarios where you'd need to breaker at the risk of getting stuff while guard broken afterwards.

You still had to contend with the amazing power of running teams over singles but it was awesome none the less. Nothing sweeter than running Ultimate Kuuga and Final Form Decade on a team and stringing that combo on and on and on without the match ending before its over.God I loved me some jump cancels in that game. Bee 1 and Skull were so good for those and there were some surprise bros like V3 and his self buffs, Amazon for his bizarre OTG like slash loops and Impaler for just how fun he turned out to be on his stuff.

Game was awesome. Can't wait for a sequel someday. Plus adding in those custom soundtracks on PSP... Time Judged All the whoooooooooole match as Tajador OOO's baby. Love me some Chou Climax Heroes.

Watch Da Birdie

I really hope Tyrantrum's JP name begins with "Tyranno".

So I can catch an Aerodactyl (Ptera), Bastiodon (Torideps), and it and have a PuToTyranno Triple Battle Team.

shaowebb

Oh man, Millionfold are completely redoing Decade with new scripts by Magenta. This is gonna be fabulous.

Wait...what? Who are millionfold and magenta? Is decade gonna get good? I liked a lot of things about Decade and if someone is cleaning it up it'd be great in my eyes.

Wait...what? Who are millionfold and magenta? Is decade gonna get good? I liked a lot of things about Decade and if someone is cleaning it up it'd be great in my eyes.

Millionfold Curiosity are a fansub group currently doing Megaranger, Goseiger and Magnificent Zubat. Magenta is a translator best known for his work with Overtime.

Sorry, should've said completely resub rather than completely redo. The writing in the translation will be a lot better, but it'll still be the same flawed but fun show.

WillyFive

I'm personally looking for a Den-O resub. I liked the show, but I'm pretty sure that all of the funny was sucked away by TV-N's subs.

WillyFive

Oh man, anyone watching TVN tell me how bad they have Utchy?

I haven't seen them myself, but reading other posters in other forums who watch TV-N exclusively, it seems that TV-N spells the Deboss as 'Deboth', and spells Kyoryuger with two U's (Kyoryuuger). They also use the word 'Brave' a lot and added it to the team's roll call ("Hear our roar! The Fanged Brave, Kyoryu Red!")

Also, here's their version of the opening narration:

"Dinosaurs plus humans. Crossing over billions of years to protect the world, History's strongest brave team has now appeared! You'll be surprised when you hear!"

And this is Utchy's post-roll call line:

"Vanquishing evil in the name of heaven! Prepare for wildness!"

Really awkward overall.

Also, kinda related:

tumblr_mtd16yH1Q01s4ltl4o1_500.png

OnoreTVN said:
From TVN’s Gaim trailer - What’s wrong with this line, apart from gibberish, is the fact that the actual line is “On Stage,” not “Orange Stage” - The Japanese text on screen even says it. I can’t tell if there’s wordplay or if they just didn’t pay attention. (Granted, I missed the On Stage part at first as well)

This actually made me wonder - Does anyone at TVN know how to read Japanese? Legit question.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
No Megaforce tomorrow. Nickelodeon is purposely turning off programming so kids can go outside and play.

So... go do Sentai poses out in a field or something. I don't know. Or play The Wonderful 101/GTA V.

Slayven

I haven't seen them myself, but reading other posters in other forums who watch TV-N exclusively, it seems that TV-N spells the Deboss as 'Deboth', and spells Kyoryuger with two U's (Kyoryuuger). They also use the word 'Brave' a lot and added it to the team's roll call ("Hear our roar! The Fanged Brave, Kyoryu Red!")

Also, here's their version of the opening narration:

"Dinosaurs plus humans. Crossing over billions of years to protect the world, History's strongest brave team has now appeared! You'll be surprised when you hear!"

And this is Utchy's post-roll call line:

"Vanquishing evil in the name of heaven! Prepare for wildness!"

Really awkward overall.

Also, kinda related:

tumblr_mtd16yH1Q01s4ltl4o1_500.png
That font should be illegal. It is like herpes laced daggers to the eyes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In /m/ they pretty much dissected TVN's subs and showed that they can't into Japanese.

Speaking of which how was Zaborger 2011?

Also I definitely have Tyrantrum in my team. Poor Aurorus though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I hate their translation of this so so much.

What do they (the narrator and daigo) say, actually?

聞いて(kiite) 驚け(odoroke)?

I know kiite is imperative for "hear", I have no fucking idea what odoroke is.

Edit: according to my dictionary, it means "to be surprised". If thats indeed what they say, there's no mention of "roar" anywhere.

聞いて and 驚け are the command forms of the verbs for "hear" and "surprise".

聞いて驚く creates a compound verb, "to hear and be surprised/astonished". 聞いて驚け in the context of the show is a command to hear the Kyoryugers and be astonished. O-T translates it as "Hear us and tremble!" (Wait, nevermind, they use "Hear our Roar!")

At least that's how I interpret it. I've only been studying Japanese for a year.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What do they (the narrator and daigo) say, actually?

聞いて(kiite) 驚け(odoroke)?

I know kiite is imperative for "hear", I have no fucking idea what odoroke is.

Edit: according to my dictionary, it means "to be surprised". If thats indeed what they say, there's no mention of "roar" anywhere.

Oh I'm sure TVN's translation is accurate, it just makes for an extremely awkward english sentence.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yes, that's what I think as well. Which means TV-N's translation in that particular case is not wrong.

Oh I'm sure TVN's translation is accurate, it just makes for an extremely awkward english sentence.

That's mostly all of Japanese (and any other language, when you think about it) though. It makes sense, but loses any impact the phrase is supposed to have. That's why I think translation is all about adaptation.

"Hear our Roar" sounds better, "Hear and be afraid" is more what they're saying, and make them sounds like wimps.

WillyFive

I like O-T because they try to make it as accurate to the experience the viewer in Japan is getting. Being a bilingual person, I can tell you that translating word for word is not accurate, if anything it is more inaccurate because words, phrases, and sentence structures are different for each language, and reading TV-N's sub's makes it seem like they don't understand this. I mean, instead of translating Kyoryublue's bad pun as a bad pun, they just write down his words and explain the pun at the top of the screen.

That's not translation, no professional studio would ever do that. They'd do what O-T is doing, making sure what the viewer in Japan got is what the viewer in English is getting, even if it's a different pun, it's an actual pun.

shaowebb

Just watched Kyoryuger ep 3. Was in the mood for something cartoony and I figured it'd do after what 1 and 2 were like. I was right.

Not much in the action this time around and apparently GTFO pinky...only 3 bots in the zord at a time and this is Green's turn to be the arm...wait...if 4 of us are here but only 3 zords are in the mech who the hell is piloting the pink dino that wandered off? O_O

Yeah this show is campy as hell. Apparently Blue is gonna be the bad pun guy...seems fitting. He's the goofy one to be certain so yeah go ahead. The whistles and salsa thing are weird though. Not certain I'll get used to it and so far robot fights are meh alongside of the monster designs.

If you want something cartoony this fits that description and then some.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'd love to know why TVN translates yu sha as "Brave".

From what I've seen everywhere else, including TVN's older work, "yu sha" is always translated as hero.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'd love to know why TVN translates yu sha as "Brave".

From what I've seen everywhere else, including TVN's older work, "yu sha" is always translated as hero.

Both my dictionary and Google Translate say the translation for 勇敢 (yuusha) is both "Hero" and "Brave" (and "Man of Valor"). Heroes are Brave individuals, after all.

I think "kiba no yuusha" translates better as "hero of the fang" or "fanged hero" than "brave fang", specially when they're presenting themselves. I think a more literal and verbose translation of Red's roll call would be "(the) brave (hero) of the fang, kyoryu red", but what the heck do I know?

Personally, I believe the more interesting question is the difference between "fanged hero" and "hero of the fang" or, more specifically, if there's a difference at all. "kiba no" means "of the fang". Is Thor the "god of thunder" or a "thunderous god" (suddenly I wonder if I should have used Kyoryu Gold as an example before)? But those are translation minutia. "Fanged Hero" describes Daigo perfectly (he both has a Fang as a personal memento and is the most voracious of the group) and doesn't sound weird.

The Japanese language also uses "hero" to denote hero, but I think they don't use it here on purpose, as a play on and/or reference to "burebu tiimo" (brave team) english nomenclature they use to describe themselves.

This "using english words" thing is one of the reasons why the language drives me crazy: they just assimilate whatever english word to their vocabulary and use both the english and the japanese word at will when describing something

tl;dr: TV-Nihon is a much more literal translation group than Over-Time. Not only that, they get a bunch of shit wrong and think being literal is more important than adapting (here's my favourite word again) what is being said so the audience can understand it easily, going to the extent of adding more text to the screen to explain the other text they translated, which is never a good idea IMO.

Watch Da Birdie

The worst TV-N translation for me is "The Disc-Tachi have returned!" in Hibiki.

Why the fuck don't you just say "discs"?

Trying to make sense out of a lot of the decisions TV-N makes just gives me a headache. They've basically been stuck in the same hole that a lot of anime fansub groups were stuck in back in the mid-00's and are content with staying there.

The worst TV-N translation for me is "The Disc-Tachi have returned!" in Hibiki.

Why the fuck don't you just say "discs"?

Because they need to preserve the deep meaning and subtle nuance of the original Nihongo~

Trying to make sense out of a lot of the decisions TV-N makes just gives me a headache. They've basically been stuck in the same hole that a lot of anime fansub groups were stuck in back in the mid-00's and are content with staying there.

They're happy staying there because they've got an audience that think they're "getting a truer experience" or "learning Japanese" or whatever other shit with their subs and are happy to jump in and run any kind of asinine defence ("lets see you do better", "complaining about free stuff", what have you) and so have no need to improve.

Top Bottom