• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

vareon

Wizard/Decade finale was fun. Lots of fight, lots of form, and the Riders bring their biggest arsenals which reminds me of Decade's first episode except they're actually fighting something this time. Changing into ultimate forms and kicking the shit out of Amadam is fun, too.

WillyFive

Gaim is coming out next week right?

Aye.

Kamen Rider Gaim (Masked Rider Armored)

iQi4NYZ0hs94o.gif

It's all juicy dance parties and fruits and games until you accidentally open a rift into an alternate dimension where monsters come out and attack you. Which Kamen Rider will save the world?

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: 8 AM Sundays on TV Asahi

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time​

Bima Satria Garuda (Bima: Garuda Knight)

i9OovcLslwc3t.gif

A teamup between Ishimori Productions (creators of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai) and MNC Media, a Jakarta scientist creates a new superhero to fight the invading forces of the Parallel World.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Indonesia: 8:30 AM Sundays on RCTI, reruns on Saturday at 3:00 PM

Elsewhere: Fansubs by Bima-Anon​

Jushen Zhan Ji Dui (Giant Saver's Battle Squadron)

iFZUpcrm1uFSm.gif

Featuring choreography from Super Sentai veterans, this Chinese show inspired by Sentai chronicles the battle between good and evil.

Trailer

Where to watch:

China: Heck if I know

Elsewhere: No fansubs yet, but it's on Youtube​

Ultraman Ginga (Ultraman Galaxy)

iBlwWCiEjUTZ7.gif

After a massive battle, all the Ultramen and the evil monsters they fought were turned into tiny statues and scattered throughout the galaxy. A young man's life in Japan is forever changed when he finds one on the ground....

Opening

Where to watch:

Japan: Wednesdays at 6 PM during the Ultraman Anthology block of TV Tokyo

Elsewhere: Fansubs by Over-Time​

We clearly need a new title for gaim.

I didn't really mind these wizard special. Definitely felt rushed and last minute, but it never does really get old seeing old riders beating the shit out of mooks.

And Decade wasn't even really a dick. I don't think his suit aged particularly well though, must be the color palette.

Decade still has my favorite belt of the series.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Gaim seems like a fun character based on the crossover special.

I guess the "heh-heh" he did after his finishing move will be his version of Wizard's "pweeee".

vareon

i cant wait to see the figuart variant. i have an odd feeling the gaim riders are gonna make for awesome figures.

You'll see his prototype in Tamashii Nations this November, I guess. Current season's figuarts are usually terrible, but with the new base body he should be glorious.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You'll see his prototype in Tamashii Nations this November, I guess. Current season's figuarts are usually terrible, but with the new base body he should be glorious.

is that the base they use for the new kabuto variants?

yami4ct

I wouldn't call them outright terrible. They tend to be a bit rushed and suffer because of it, but most of them aren't that bad. Just less than the others.

vareon

is that the base they use for the new kabuto variants?

Yes. Seen in the new Black and Burning Agito too.

I wouldn't call them outright terrible. They tend to be a bit rushed and suffer because of it, but most of them aren't that bad. Just less than the others.

Terrible is too strong of a word I agree, but the proportions are definitely off. This only applies to the base forms though, the next releases are much better (TaToBa -> TaJaDor, Flame -> Flame Dragon, etc).

shaowebb

So I just saw the LAST episode of Wizard...dear lord fuck that series. Everything went nowhere and everything was anticlimactic and then we got the only ending that I think was worse than...well hell there is nothing to compare it to. That was just 2 really shitty episodes. I think when Haruto did the Poochy ending by "going away to his home planet" it was the most appropriate way to kill off this mess.

Im skipping Gaim. Gonna go watch the older stuff after this. God that whole thing hurt so hard. At least the last monster had a decent design even though the actor's face looked like a stroke victim caught between a seizure and an orgasm in most moments.

^this shit begs for captions though.

WillyFive

It makes no sense to skip a show because the last one was bad, since in Toei shows, each new show is made by completely different people than the one before it. Gain's quality will completely hinge on its staff, not the staff of Wizard.

shaowebb

Im skipping Gaim because it looks like a goofy clusterfuck of ideas so far and there are cooler looking shows I've yet to watch like Faiz. If I got to choose my shows based selectively on limited time I'd rather go for Faiz from what I've seen than Gaim.

After Wizard I just want a show that seems more structured and so far I have no reason believe that show is Gaim.

I think its safe to say Gaim will be less nonsense than Faiz without even watching it yet lol.

Faiz still has some of the coolest rider gear and belt voice and what not.

In the end, i did enjoy Wizard. Was a 6 or 7/10 show, but mostly because i enjoyed the fight choreography and the biweekly story for the most part.

vareon

It gets funny because Takebe and Urobuchi kept referencing Faiz when he was asked what direction they wanted to take Gaim, lol.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what makes you think Gaim is a goofy clusterfuck of ideas, shaowebb?

shaowebb

It gets funny because Takebe and Urobuchi kept referencing Faiz when he was asked what direction they wanted to take Gaim, lol.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what makes you think Gaim is a goofy clusterfuck of ideas, shaowebb?

The theme is sengoku fruit samurai who use padlocks and dance underground doing pokemon battles to rebel against the corporate society.

That looks like a giant mish mash of too many ideas and refusing to just pick one. I'll hold off and watch the classics for now. If Gaim pans out somehow I'll show up, but as is with all that plus a handful of Riders to write for immediately its just going to be a difficult show for anyone to write and pull off. I'd rather just watch Faiz and Blade until Im done with them and show up later if it was worth it.

The theme is sengoku fruit samurai who use padlocks and dance underground doing pokemon battles to rebel against the corporate society.

That looks like a giant mish mash of too many ideas and refusing to just pick one. I'll hold off and watch the classics for now. If Gaim pans out somehow I'll show up, but as is with all that plus a handful of Riders to write for immediately its just going to be a difficult show for anyone to write and pull off. I'd rather just watch Faiz and Blade until Im done with them and show up later if it was worth it.

That's more or less what I posted when I first read about Gaim. Looks like we're playing the waiting game together!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Megaforce 13

Bleh, this was cheesy even by Power Rangers standards. *looks up original Goseiger episode* Another similar plot, that explains a lot.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Plot of Gaim seems way more interesting than Wizard so far. Might go out and get a couple lock seeds for my kid today. I like that they actually do things outside of the 80 dollar belt.

Slayven

Plot of Gaim seems way more interesting than Wizard so far. Might go out and get a couple lock seeds for my kid today. I like that they actually do things outside of the 80 dollar belt.

Well it has a lot going on, and side characters actually doing stuff.

Oh my god that was crazy. Definitely gonna watch this a couple more times and let it sink in. I'm already really digging it and I'm into the style a whole lot.

vareon

Impressions:

- Kouta seems to be a more relatable protagonist so far--after getting a high schooler who wants to befriend everyone and a dude who keeps claiming to be the last hope, he's just this guy working to support his family.
- Nothing special in the fight choreography, but I'm happy to see the flappy armor didn't bug me so much here.
- There's a lot going on, though it's not really different from anime norm: an established setting
- Not quite the same as pre-kabuto series, but there's an air of drama here, especially when Kouta is home.

After the lame medals, switches, and rings which has no electronics on its own, the lock seeds with its own sounds is very welcome. Will buy a couple myself.

Magenta was gushing about Gaim on Twitter, so I imagine it'll get picked up.

And yeah, they say this stuff every year. "We'll see what we think of the show before confirming anything."

WillyFive

That theme song is so Hispanic it hurts. Feels like I'm back on my home town. Love it, although it certainly makes the OP seem a lot longer than it is.

Top Bottom