• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

I liked it. Kouta shares some traits with Godai (Opening scene shows him helping a lost kid, combat scenes show him intuitively learning how to operate his weapons), that's a big plus for me. Can't wait to see how the Rider in-fighting is going to play out here.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gaim. As someone else mentioned, there's too much going on. That first episode was busy as hell. Main character has two jobs, used to break dance, lives with his sister since his parents are dead, ok. There was a Rider War (again) over....token destiny girl?? So confused. Now for some reason kids fight with these Lock Seeds which are distributed by a crack dealer for what purpose? To control the streets??

Apparently the young people in Zawame City dance and play Pokemon to blow off some stream over the fact that they live a somewhat dystopian society.

Tenumi

Banned
So...

Kyoryuger: That was fun, and the bonus of
finding away to include everybody in a Carnival attack
was most welcome. Also, great having Torin and Yayoi do something important.

Gaim: That was... something. I'll definitely have to give it a few episodes, but I liked it better than Wizard's first episode. I think it definitely helps having a rookie Rider.

WillyFive

The first episode of Gaim made more sense to me when I watched it without subs. Definitely a Heisei Rider.

I also agree with it being very busy. Not the best Kamen Rider premiere, but it has promise if it starts to focus.

Also, which Rider do you think has the best first episode?

Slayven

The first episode of Gaim made more sense to me when I watched it without subs. Definitely a Heisei Rider.

I also agree with it being very busy. Not the best Kamen Rider premiere, but it has promise if it starts to focus.

No reason we should have that big story lull between epsiode 30 and 44, like other rider shows.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What, this isn't where I was supposed to post!

But since I'm already here, this Indoor Soccer Stadium shot:

UnAjPnt.png

...reminded me of this "Cool Blue" dekaranger shot:

Good ol' dekaranger. Maybe Nossan's sister can remember her long lost past in some sort of EMERGENCY (hint hint) and show up more in the next episodes...

Edit: Also, the rule we learned in Akibaranger is in full effect here. People coming from the right will always win a battle. Which also means Gaim will win the Rider Wars, but we already knew that.

fmpanda

So, finally caught that hawt Gaim action. I have to say, very good episode, although if they want these folks to be taken seriously as a dance-battle group, they need to pony up the $$ for some choreography.

Pretty light-hearted so far, although with Urobuchi writing it I expect everything to go to hell very quickly, even for a Rider show. I have a feeling that's probably why we have the whole dancing team bits, to break up the despair.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I saw a toy scan for a Peach Lock Seed on /m/ showing a female rider, but I'm not sure if it was a mock-up or what.

shaowebb

I'll second that. You get a lot of cool scenes, and a mystery right out the gates that grows to define the whole series in its first episode. Things from that series still aren't answered and they'll likely continue to write his mystery in small pieces as he appears in major movie crossovers. Him and Captain Marvelous are pretty much the unspoken kings of the Riders and Sentai and Decade had a lot left open for him in his series as it ended poorly.

The first episode was great. It was meant to drag you into all the Riders and the idea of one Rider who is a bridge between all of them and its pretty well done. Had Decade gotten the 53 episodes that shows like Wizard got it would have likely turned out a lot better as they could have grown upon several major characters and his dark destiny more.

So I'm gathering that we can't post scans here or anything, so I guess I'll just talk about it.

Apparently the Cherry and Peach Energy Arms riders are getting realer by the second because there's a scan out now of something called the "Genesis Driver" that's based on a fruit juicer and has like a hand lever pull thing, it's really weird, but cool looking. There's also a melon energy lockseed (Zangetsu upgrade?) and in the background of one scan there is a lemon rider. Oh, and there's a "Sonic Arrow" bow weapon too. So we might get 3 new riders already? Using completely new lockseed types?

Man, this show is bonkers.

vareon

dukemon22's usual sources are giving some juicy (pun intended) rumors now, following the scans. Whether they're true or not remains to be seen, of course, but Kamen Rider rumors tend to have a difference between initial rumors and reality, meaning these rumors might be true at some point before they decided to change it. I'll spoiler it just in case but this bit is the most interesting to me.

Apparently Zangetsu will get the upgrade first, Gaim "eventually". If this means a natural progression of actually bigger challenge -> hero power up not seen since Kuuga or something, I'm in.

Slayven

dukemon22's usual sources are giving some juicy (pun intended) rumors now, following the scans. Whether they're true or not remains to be seen, of course, but Kamen Rider rumors tend to have a difference between initial rumors and reality, meaning these rumors might be true at some point before they decided to change it. I'll spoiler it just in case but this bit is the most interesting to me.

Apparently Zangetsu will get the upgrade first, Gaim "eventually". If this means a natural progression of actually bigger challenge -> hero power up not seen since Kuuga or something, I'm in.

Would explain why Melon doesn't have his own weapon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
First episode of Gaim was great, only problem was the city didn't seem as "dystopian" like the original summaries made it sound like which was said to be the reason the street gangs dance and such, but I imagine we'll probably see more of the worse elements of the city later on. Plus Gen basically said the street dancing was just setting up the more serious war later on...

I wonder if all the other teams are going to get their own Riders and have them named after the team? One of the teams was "Red Hot", I wonder if the Cherry Ride might be "Kamen Rider Red Hot".

Anyway, can't wait to see how this series goes and see the other Riders appear.

EDIT: I'm guessing though like other people think that Yuuya became the Byakko (white tiger, he has white hair) Invess somehow. And thus the big "dark twist" is gonna be that Gaim's been killing transformed humans.

vareon

Skimming through Gouraigan. Looks like they're going to have boobs the whole season or something ಠ_ಠ it's weird as fuck and is more akin to Lionmaru G. The opening song kicks ass, sounds like a late 90s/early 2000s anime.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Skimming through Gouraigan. Looks like they're going to have boobs the whole season or something ಠ_ಠ it's weird as fuck and is more akin to Lionmaru G. The opening song kicks ass, sounds like a late 90s/early 2000s anime.

I don't think there's any fansub for that on sight, is it?

I might try my hella early japanese knowledge on that then. I prolly won't understand a thing, as I don't understand anything when trying to not pay attention to Kyoryu subs...

Edit: Oh, T-N has it, obviously...

CrimsonN0

Was this Gaim interview posted yet?:
http://henshinjustice.com/2013/10/10/gaim-director-ryuta-tasaki-on-urobuchis-trap/

Apparently the dancing teams will slowly dissapear as, like the MC, the characters end up with new responsibilities and ideals.

Also mentions how the start of the series using lots of previous Heisei series elements(Ryuki rider war, Smart Brain=Yggdrasill, etc) is a trap by Urobuchi; that things will change soon becasue otherwise it'd be boring and you could just watch the previous series instead.

Red Comet

Just watched the first episode of Gaim. Not quite sure how I feel about it, but I still like the costume. I really like the idea of the Rider war concept coming back.

ZoddGutts

First ep of Gaim was interesting I suppose, can't tell if it was bad or not, too early to tell if I'll end up being good or not. Did like how the lead was slowing understanding how the suit works.

Gouraigan was.... weird. It was great seeing real suits and not CG. The first ep had an interesting/odd way direction by the director, I liked it, it was weird but fun. Budget wise it looked much better than Garo S2 and a bit better than S3. The female lead wasn't annoying so that's good, haven't seen the full cast yet, hopefully they'll be good as well. Here's hoping the story is better than Garo S1/S2.

The opening song kicks ass, sounds like a late 90s/early 2000s anime.

Heh same thought as well.

NeonZ

SHTZ raw is out there. I wanna see who the random main characters are.

Wizard's treatment in this movie was so weird. In the beginning, he seems like the main character, and, unlike Fourze in the original SHT, he isn't around for only one scene. He continues getting focus for a while, until Sharivan arrives and then Wizard is teleported away, meets the Kyoryuger and then... Wizard just disappears from the movie. In spite of that though, we get the other characters talking about despair and hope, and even Wizard's supporting cast appears in one scene, as well as Beast in several ones. Haruto himself only returns when the final battle is already happening though. It's like they were trying to make it seem like he was a main character, even though they didn't have his actor available enough for the movie.

The focus in the final battle also wasn't handled well. GokaiSilver and Yellow Buster had tons of screentime before it, but really got to do nothing there. Well, Yoko got a character scene, but combat-wise was irrelevant. At least, in the first SHT, the Gokaiger, Decade (and even OOO) got final battles of their own while Fourze and the Go-Busters fought in space. Here, Wizard and Kyoryuger mostly dominate the final battle, with Gavan also getting some scenes, although mostly in space combat, while everyone else only appears in group shots, even people who were main characters before.

The sequences when other heroes appeared near the ending of the movie also were underwhelming after watching Wizard's finale. No form changes or even actual special attacks. Super-1 appears alongside Fourze and Meteor, but only says his name, no actual dialogue, and he only does a single double Rider Kick with Meteor against random monsters before disappearing in the background. There's a scene in the final battle itself where various Riders and Sentai fire at the monster army to blow it up, and people without weapons in their basic forms, like W and Kuuga, just stood in the background there doing nothing. Also, they didn't even bother making up bad excuses for the movie items. Haruto pulls two new rings out of nowhere like he always had them, and Gavan just throws the Metal Hero keys to the Gokaiger without any explanation.

There was also OOO in the final battle, which was plain weird. He arrives alongside Fourze and Meteor, looking like he's going to be relevant, but he only has a bad voice actor and basically only gets beaten up through the final battle. No form changes or anything. In spite of that, he got several lines throughout the battle. More than Fourze even, although I might be mistaken here and just remember him more because it was so odd.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
That fight with Kyoryzin was hilarious, it was done entirely in low angle shots. I'm pretty sure there's no lower half to that monster.

At least Marvelous and Gentarou were voiced by their actors.

Shame there wasn't a scene with Sharivan and Gou

NeonZ

That fight with Kyoryzin was hilarious, it was done entirely in low angle shots. I'm pretty sure there's no lower half to that monster.

They also used tv stock footage for the Kyoyuzin combination and the Kyoryugers' transformation. It was like they ran out of budget for those parts of the final battle. The low angle shots seems to be how this director (Osamu Kaneda) always handles non-CG mecha though.

Top Bottom