• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

WillyFive

That's too bad. He was young too.

Shinkuro_Isaka.jpg

shaowebb

Went to a con today. Here's what the vendors had that was Toku Related:

• Chibi Akiba Rangers blind box figures
  • Chibi Kamen Rider Showa era blind boxes
  • Chibi Kamen Rider W, Den-O, OOOs, Fourze, Skull, blind boxes
  • Kamen Rider Beast Dual Heroes figure for $35
  • Figuarts Fourze elekstate
  • Figuarts Fourze Fire state
  • Large Vinyl Kamen Rider Beast
  • Large Vinyl Kamen Rider Wizard
  • $60 deluxe kamen Rider Ryuki with Dragredder set O_O
  • Vinyl Kamen Rider Skull

I grabbed up Skull since he was cheap. He's that one they did without articulated limbs, but its skull so yay. Reaaaaaally like the Ryuki but I aint got that to throw around. Akiba Rangers look fun. I'd go for the blind boxes in hope of Chibi Skull figure, but I dont like the chance I'd get a Fourze.

Better than last year apparently. Also I saw some ooooooooooold figures from the Showa era out of box. Saw Inazuman, Stronger, Ichigo, Nigo, X, and a Mook heiling <3

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't know if I can watch a series written by Inoue after reading his Ryuki Novel or Fourze Novel. :(

I mean, fuck, just look at these descriptions!

Ryuki
Spoilers for the Kamen Rider Ryuki novel has surfaced online and just like most Kamen Rider novels, this take place in an alternate universe. The novel was released last August 30 and written by Toshiki Inoue and Naohiro Okamura, with Inoue as the editor for the novels.

Ryuki, Knight, Zolda, Ouja and Femme are the main Riders. Imperer, Raia and Scissors are mentioned but die literally immediately and their human forms are unnamed. Shinji kills Imperer in the novel and doesn't regret it. Shinji is a jack of all trades, Ren and Yui are friends with benefits. Even if that is the case, he is still with Eri. Kitaoka has Alzheimer's disease while his "butler", Goro has his mouth sown shut with a golden wire and can't speak.

Unlike the original TV series and movies, they don't use cards to transform. They transform with an emblem in front of a mirror and jump straight into the Mirror World. Apart from everything is mirrored, there is no sound in the Mirror World. In the novel, they are not called Masked Riders, but instead they are called Masked Contractors. Asakura is said to be the embodiment of your standard Toshiki Inoue written jerks. He kills his own mother when he's seven days old.

Just like in the movie, Femme asked Shinji to pretend to be her boyfriend, they end up dating for real and have sex. Lastly, the novel still follows the same Battle Royale struture with the ending nearly identical to the TV series.

Fourze
"Spoilers for the Kamen Rider Fourze novel has surfaced online, this take place in an alternate universe. The novel was released December 30 and written by Toshiki Inoue and Naohiro Okamura, with Inoue as the editor for the novels.

The basic plot remains the same, except much more condensed and many of the minor students such as Cancer and Aquarius are referenced simply as students who have awoken as Horoscopes. In addition to using Amanogawa as a testing ground for Zodiart Switches, Gamou is involved in human trafficking. Sonoda and Kou are former child slaves who suffer Stockholm syndrome, Hayami is a sexual predator who goes after younger students. Emoto is the true villain who manipulates both sides and turns into "Cosmic Libra" in the finale by absorbing all the Zodiarts and wishes to ascend to Godhood, due to suffering from gender identity issues which caused him to isolate himself.

The Kamen Rider Club are much more dysfunctional than in the show, with Gentarou being the only character who stays basically the same, except he does not try and befriend the villains. Ryusei is an Anti-Human Trafficking agent who was a child slave himself who grew up working for Chicago gangs, which gave him a love of disco, and is Sonoda's long-lost brother as they were separated when they were kidnapped. Ohsugi is absent from the novel. Kengo is deaf, mute, and blind and must use a computer to communicate with others, with Yuki being his chaperon. She often relieves herself by masturbating with a scale model of the Challenger. JK and Tomoko are dating and are on the fringe of the school system, barely showing up for school and have multiple disciplinary problems. Miu suffers from anorexia and cuts herself with Burgermeal at one point as the other cheerleaders run a smear campaign focusing on her weight. Shun has issues with his father like in the show, and at one point takes advantage of and rapes the Powerdizer."

Dude is nuts!

one of those is real, the other is a joke...but can you tell which one?

shaowebb

I don't know if I can watch a series written by Inoue after reading his Ryuki Novel or Fourze Novel. :(

Ryuki

Fourze

Dude is nuts!

O_O

Are those real? Like please...what? No. NO. Just...what?

vareon

Ryuki

Fourze

Dude is nuts!

The Fourze one is a joke.I hope. It's all the hope I need.

WillyFive

There is no Fourze novel, but if they ever let Inoue anywhere near Fourze I'll flip.

I don't know how he managed to make a Sentai classic and then make garbage for Rider back to back to back, and then suddenly make a great episode for Gokaiger.

Anyway, the RAW for Superhero Taisen Z is out.

iomOiaVC1nglj.gif

Watch Da Birdie

Apparently there are NPCs named Haruto and Koyomi in Pokemon X/Y, and they're engaged.

I also noticed one of the little television dialouges is basically a Rider parody called "Ability Man".

Tenumi

Banned
I finished off Jetman today. I have to say, while I think it's a little overrated, it is one great series. It felt like it started slow, to me. But once the characters were established and the midpoint of the series hit, there was no stopping that train.

Poor Gai. Then I watched the Gokaiger Jetman tribute episode.... Poor Gai...

Watch Da Birdie

Aw shit son, my main man Gaim bringing the laughs AND the pain this week, ya hear?

Seriously, skimmed around the Raw and, wow, great episode. Loved the laughs at the beginning, yet the serious transformation at the end with all his friends watching was neat, and a pretty cool fight. Wish we got an Insert song already though, maybe next episode?

ReiGun

Kengo is deaf, mute, and blind and
must use a computer to communicate with
others, with Yuki being his chaperon. She
often relieves herself by masturbating with
a scale model of the Challenger. JK and
Tomoko are dating and are on the fringe of
the school system, barely showing up for
school and have multiple disciplinary
problems. Miu suffers from anorexia and
cuts herself with Burgermeal at one point
as the other cheerleaders run a smear
campaign focusing on her weight. Shun has
issues with his father like in the show, and
at one point takes advantage of and rapes
the Powerdizer."

Why....no really...why?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I like how deep they go in explaining their translation choices. Meanwhile, at TV-N land:

This is the first episode of Gouraigan. It is real.

Watching that made me remember how T-N subs are terrible. Their shit is hard to read in english.

Oh god it's terrible.

Man, that second episode of Gaim was just as fun as the first, but without all the exposition, so automatically better. and it seems like we're gonna get a Gaim vs Baron episode next and that makes me so dang hyped.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What is up with the CG Monster? Everything was going so well... Everything else was pretty great on the episode. I just really miss darker shows...

also, BUREBU DAZE!

ybmvsyn.jpg

Ah, haha, I had to laugh when I saw this scene. I always assumed the same. Now that's humor!

So you guys may or may not know the ending of kyoryuger you know has vids of people dancing and stuff.

Last two eps have ended with peeps from Kamen Rider Gaim and I think the actor that plays Gaim can do backflips and s@#$

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ybmvsyn.jpg

Ah, haha, I had to laugh when I saw this scene. I always assumed the same. Now that's humor!

So you guys may or may not know the ending of kyoryuger you know has vids of people dancing and stuff.

Last two eps have ended with peeps from Kamen Rider Gaim and I think the actor that plays Gaim can do backflips and s@#$

Both gifs are in this thread somewhere

WillyFive

don't recall wizard having that much bad cgi outside of all dragon form and some inner fights.

Wizard's CGI was a dramatic downgrade from the CGI in Fourze (which was mostly conservative) and OOO (which had a lot, but it was far better looking than Wizard).

The one new thing I noticed Wizard did was having motion tracking, so the camera could be moving wildly and be handheld, and the CGI would still keep pace with the background.

A notable place this was used was during Wizard's first henshin into Infinity form, where the camera moved around Haruto but the CGI elements kept their position relative to the camera. Here's a comparison of Wizard's motion tracking and a shot of Kyoryuger that didn't use motion tracking.

ibrDbzeJAHsCzk.gif

Notice how the white ring stays under Haruto despite the camera moving, while in the Kyoryugold henshin, everything seems flat and on a 2D plane.

ReiGun

It's like they had to give us a Rider who oozes personality to make up for Haruto. Kouta is hilarious and damn likable.

Wizard's CGI was a dramatic downgrade from the CGI in Fourze (which was mostly conservative) and OOO (which had a lot, but it was far better looking than Wizard).

The one new thing I noticed Wizard did was having motion tracking, so the camera could be moving wildly and be handheld, and the CGI would still keep pace with the background.

A notable place this was used was during Wizard's first henshin into Infinity form, where the camera moved around Haruto but the CGI elements kept their position relative to the camera. Here's a comparison of Wizard's motion tracking and a shot of Kyoryuger that didn't use motion tracking.

ibrDbzeJAHsCzk.gif

Notice how the white ring stays under Haruto despite the camera moving, while in the Kyoryugold henshin, everything seems flat and on a 2D plane.

well the thing is there really wasn't that much cg in wizard vs the previous riders. the cg 2d magic circles is the most prevalent. The dragon forms had bits of cg, I don't think the cg battles looked too bad (inside people)... the cats cradle badguy was hilarious though.

wizard was more about well choreographed fights than effects outside of finishers and rare spell, when every switch from fourze was cg something.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, Kouta has a goal which ties into his personality unlike Haruto.

don't recall wizard having that much bad cgi outside of all dragon form and some inner fights.

Underworld fights = bad CGI. Hell, even Dragon at times.

The Invess going all Hulk made me remember the bad CGI. Which is weird, since I don't recall older pre-Wizard CGI to be that bad

Watch Da Birdie

So is this series shaping up like a Den-O sort of thing? Because that changes some stuff if its the case...

It's part of Gen's trap!

Basically, the dancing and the lighthearted shout-outs to previous series are easing us in before he pulls the rug up under our feet, probably involving the little foreshadowing that one of the brothers are going to die (Ryugen as he's cut out of certain parts in the opening, or Zangetsu as previously he didn't seem to have a power-up), or the theory that the Invess are humans, and "Byakko", the monster in the first episode, was Yuuya.

Even on his Twitter recently Gen said that the episode airing around New Years would "make kids hate orange juice", so shit's probably gonna go down.

Then again, I feel that Den-O had a lot of darker elements going on behind the Imagin fuckery.

WillyFive

I like how the armor falls in place on the suit, just like Den-O. Makes it feel physical and with weight.

And this last Kyoryuger episode was pretty great.

Top Bottom