• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
ibdOy6cILEpYXO.jpg

iZOcESDlwQFIN.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
:|

Plan stays. Sticking to Blade and Faiz. I'll choose between Fourze and Gaim when the time comes after that...well...that or Ryuki.

If you want a show like Den-O, I wouldn't choose Blade or Faiz then...Blade is pretty bad when it comes to character development till really late in the show and besides one 2-parter it's pretty "serious", there's not a lot of light-hearted moments as the characters are always fighting.

Faiz has a lot more cute and funny character building moments despite being darker than Blade, but also gets a bit, well, drama-city by the end.

shaowebb

If you want a show like Den-O, I wouldn't choose Blade or Faiz then...Blade is pretty bad when it comes to character development till really late in the show and besides one 2-parter it's pretty "serious", there's not a lot of light-hearted moments as the characters are always fighting.

Faiz has a lot more cute and funny character building moments despite being darker than Blade, but also gets a bit, well, drama-city by the end.

Im not watching Blade and Faiz looking for a Den-O. I'm just already invested in them and they are both pretty badass. I'm about to finish up Blade and I generally can handle 2 shows at a time now so I thought I'd look for a second show to backup Faiz and I would make an exception for another show like Den-O. If Gaim isn't that then I'll just hold off like I planned to and just go watch something else alongside of Faiz after I finish off Blade.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just finished Dairanger.

I enjoyed it a lot more than Zyuranger, the characters felt more memorable and fleshed out, and I liked the emphasis on martial arts. Plus, Kaku was a badass.
I didn't get the ending though. I mean, I got the part about "good and evil being an endless battle", but out of nowhere it's revealed Shadam was a puppet too. So what happened here?

Now onto something else. Is Kakuranger fully subbed yet?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I watched the first 4 eps of Kakuranger then never came back to it. Should do that some day.

Also OT put out Hurricanger 10 years after if anyone's interested. I'm kind of not since I haven't seen Hurricanger yet.

I was joking when I said TV-N probably leaves in the "gozaru" for whenever Utsusemimaru speaks but holy fuck they actually do

tumblr_muo3suXzJG1s4ltl4o1_500.jpg

WillyFive

I never understood why people constantly berate TVN.

http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/ gives good reasons. I like to check it sometimes to see what they put up.

A lot of the things TV-N are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, like mistranslating a line because they simply did it by ear and didn't bother to check the captions, not adapting jokes and instead just explaining them to you at the top of the screen, and simply leaving things untranslated, expecting the viewer to understand Japanese, and of course other stuff like poor video quality and distracting subtitle effects (which I personally like but I know why many don't). All those problems add-up, and you end up watching a show with a very poor understanding of what is happening on-screen compared to better subs out there.

For me personally, seeing MFC's subs for Kamen Rider Decade made me understand and enjoy the show a lot more than with TV-N's subs; since the characters actually spoke in normal sentences instead of broken-up English (a common trait among TV-N subs).

vareon

I never understood why people constantly berate TVN.

I don't know about others, but to me TV-N offers weaker translations which made me misunderstood a scene, leaving Japanese words for no reason (I'm very tolerant on this, but the "Can I call you nii-san?" line in Kiva is where I drew the line), effects that sometime takes focus from what is actually happening in the film, at the cost of a late(r) translation compared to the alternatives to boot.

Mind you, I don't actively hate it. I still watch their Gouraigan. But there is no reason for me to choose them when there are alternatives.

BatDan

From what I've seen of TV-Nihon's subs, it has a lot of the same problems that plague other shitty fansubbers.
Literal translations, not bothering to translate Japanese, putting up explanations for jokes or attack names rather than attempting to translate them, those GOD DAMN EFFECTS!

It's the same shit Kaizoku-Fansubs pulled with One Piece for years (but that's an entirely different story).

This really could be avoided if Toei and Saban worked out some sort of Hulu deal to show Super Sentai to Western audiences.

LostAnkh

I watched the first 4 eps of Kakuranger then never came back to it. Should do that some day.
You're probably gonna keep doing that until the half-way point. Trust me when I say that Kakuranger really picks up around that point, and the tone of the series begins shifting.

It just takes a long ass time before you'll see anything for the plot.

ALSO, if you wanted to watch 1080p W, these guys got you covered:

http://live.ozc-anime.com/

They are ripping the Blu-Ray box AND using O-T's scripts.

jwk94

I don't know about others, but to me TV-N offers weaker translations which made me misunderstood a scene, leaving Japanese words for no reason (I'm very tolerant on this, but the "Can I call you nii-san?" line in Kiva is where I drew the line), effects that sometime takes focus from what is actually happening in the film, at the cost of a late(r) translation compared to the alternatives to boot.

Mind you, I don't actively hate it. I still watch their Gouraigan. But there is no reason for me to choose them when there are alternatives.

http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/ gives good reasons. I like to check it sometimes to see what they put up.

A lot of the things TV-N are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, like mistranslating a line because they simply did it by ear and didn't bother to check the captions, not adapting jokes and instead just explaining them to you at the top of the screen, and simply leaving things untranslated, expecting the viewer to understand Japanese, and of course other stuff like poor video quality and distracting subtitle effects (which I personally like but I know why many don't). All those problems add-up, and you end up watching a show with a very poor understanding of what is happening on-screen compared to better subs out there.

For me personally, seeing MFC's subs for Kamen Rider Decade made me understand and enjoy the show a lot more than with TV-N's subs; since the characters actually spoke in normal sentences instead of broken-up English (a common trait among TV-N subs).

I wouldn't say berate, just questioning their practices. Plus people still remember the Kingranger days.
but if you can understand it, what's the problem?

WillyFive

but if you can understand it, what's the problem?

It's a problem when you understand it less with their subs, and even worse, the little of what you end up understanding is incorrect because their translation was incorrect.

It's such a big problem because TV-N subs are BY FAR the most widely distributed ones out there. If you go to watch Toku on streaming sites (like the vast majority of people), you will only find TV-N subs. Not everyone wants to download special codecs and programs to play .mkv's. It's a big bother.

James Rolfe's hosting another month of Monster Madness - this time it's another Sequel-A-Thon - and one of the series he covers this year is the Gamera series. He went into detail for most of the movies, although he only gave a brief overview for the '90s trilogy and Gamera The Brave because covering those individually would have taken up too many days of the month. Even so, I think the reviews are still a decent summary for the series.

Here's a search link if you want to filter out the other reviews he's already uploaded and will upload in the future.

BatDan

Megaforce Halloween

Only half of it was a clip show, so that's an improvement.

Remember when Saban actually tried to hide the show was in Japan? I'm not referring to the cards again, but the Japanese signs all over the walls. Hell, one scene clearly showed Japanese citizens and cars that drove on the other side.

So they just cuban bed the fallen angel thing?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Cuban Bed", but they weren't going to even touch the idea of fallen angels.

WillyFive

you know.. they don't really do shit with the whole army thing in gokaiger lol. I don't recall many all out war fights outside of the beginning.

Yeah, it was certainly a budget thing. All the great exploits of the Zangyack outside the Legend War all happened either off-screen and/or before the show started.

NeonZ

you know.. they don't really do shit with the whole army thing in gokaiger lol. I don't recall many all out war fights outside of the beginning.

There was also a battle against the entire armada in the final two or three episodes. Almost no ground troops though(not more than a standard monster of the week attack anyway), just the ships.

So they just cuban bed the fallen angel thing?

The whole angel theme was cut from Megaforce. But, yeah, they didn't evil replace it with evil Power Ranger or anything. Vrak/Brajira is just Warz Gill/Vekar's brother in Mega Force.

Slayven

Megaforce Halloween

Only half of it was a clip show, so that's an improvement.

Remember when Saban actually tried to hide the show was in Japan? I'm not referring to the cards again, but the Japanese signs all over the walls. Hell, one scene clearly showed Japanese citizens and cars that drove on the other side.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Cuban Bed", but they weren't going to even touch the idea of fallen angels.

When you flub something and just keep going. And they could have made whats his name a evil ranger that played everyone.

The new Gaim episode was pretty dang good, I really loved the scene where Baron and Gaim had a whole crowd watching while they henshined. Looks like we get Zangetsu vs Gaim and Ryugen's debut next episode.

Slayven

The new Gaim episode was pretty dang good, I really loved the scene where Baron and Gaim had a whole crowd watching while they henshined. Looks like we get Zangetsu vs Gaim and Ryugen's debut next episode.

Somebody pointed out that Gaim is pretty much Spiderman. Fucking around with his powers until he learns responsibility.

Somebody pointed out that Gaim is pretty much Spiderman. Fucking around with his powers until he learns responsibility.

Oh yeah, I'm actually really happy that he's continued to fart around with his powers without abandon because when shit really goes down in a few episodes, it's gonna hit him that much harder.

vareon

Loved Gaim's third episode. For those who are better in Japanese, I'd like to ask a question...when Kouta shoved money to her sister's face and she rejected it, did she say something like "If you got money this way, only Team Gaim will be happy? I hope so because I liked that scene. Showed that Kouta, despite being a good man, can be still very immature when it comes to certain things.

One weakness I found is, without reading the premise and interviews, we have no idea why dance teams are serious business. And why is a person like Kaito joined a dance team to boot.

Watch Da Birdie

I can't wait to finally see who Guridon is...

All the interviews keep mentioning how his character is "appealing to adults" and how he's a "lovely character".

I'm pretty sure it's gonna end up being "Goro-chan" finally getting to play his own Rider.

Slayven

I can't wait to finally see who Guridon is...

All the interviews keep mentioning how his character is "appealing to adults" and how he's a "lovely character".

I'm pretty sure it's gonna end up being "Goro-chan" finally getting to play his own Rider.

I think he will be an old man jokester type like Nossan.

Watch Da Birdie

I think he will be an old man jokester type like Nossan.

Actually, seems people are thinking it's the "ladies man" dude from the newest episode, as he got spotlight in the character book. The leader of Team Invitto, Hideyasu Jonouchi.

And then the leader of Team Raid Wild is apparently "Kurokage" people are thinking.

Slayven

Actually, seems people are thinking it's the "ladies man" dude from the newest episode, as he got spotlight in the character book. The leader of Team Invitto, Hideyasu Jonouchi.

And then the leader of Team Raid Wild is apparently "Kurokage" people are thinking.

Real talk, I love the way the Baron dude says "Raid Wild". He said it like he was born with hate in his soul for the team. My money is on Mai being the Peach rider. I think there should be two riders per team.

vareon

That...didn't appeal to me at all lol. When people say "appealing to adults" I'm thinking of Hibiki, Date, and Nossan. We know nothing about the guy now though.

Top Bottom