• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

You mean a female rider? We're getting one with peach arms later on. And according to rumors,
she'll have a twin that uses cherry arms.

If you mean the KR Girl group, I think they revealed the Gaim chick a few days ago.

WillyFive

Slayven posted this:

io734RtyZirXV.gif

I just watched the first two episodes of Zubat after setting up my new Laptop.

I'm in love.

I saw a few episodes while on a road trip. Really cool show.

vareon

Gaim 04

Woah, Micchy got fierce lol. When things go bad, you can always buy a new DX Driver to balance it out! And Kouta got a breakdown in episode four Don't know why Kaito made an alliance when he might defeat Gaim if he actually tried.

And there's the two-parter episode structure broken, at least until the situation has settled down, if ever.

IS there a kamen rider Gaim girl?

A girl rider or Kamen Rider girls as in the idol group? I think they went into shocker or something.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Seems Guridon's Lock Seed's catchphrase is "Don't Give Up" (they're going for an OOO-thing with the english phrase that resembles Japanese word, Donguri = DoN't Give Up, I guess)

Slayven

Gaim 04

Woah, Micchy got fierce lol. When things go bad, you can always buy a new DX Driver to balance it out! And Kouta got a breakdown in episode four Don't know why Kaito made an alliance when he might defeat Gaim if he actually tried.

And there's the two-parter episode structure broken, at least until the situation has settled down, if ever.

A girl rider or Kamen Rider girls as in the idol group? I think they went into shocker or something.
Kamen Rider Girl Girl

Seems Guridon's Lock Seed's catchphrase is "Don't Give Up" (they're going for an OOO-thing with the english phrase that resembles Japanese word, Donguri = DoN't Give Up, I guess)
That was one of my favorite things about OOOs. Sun Goes Up is god tier toku music.

Tenumi

Banned
Well, Kyoryuger and Gaim are definitely getting serious and entertaining to watch.

Meanwhile, my Zyuranger watch.... yeah, this is stupid.

Zynx

I am liking Gaim so much, so far. Delivering on a lot of what I wanted with the rumors. A more interesting plot than simply "one thing happens every two episodes". And riders not immediately becoming super competent after putting on the belt. Hints at an interesting backstory to the drivers, locks, and Invess. And already we have someone divided between two loyalties. It's interesting to note that the historic era has the grape rider working with melon while watching gaim and baron fight.

I hope the plot and characters don't fizzle, everything remains internally consistent, and the characters don't turn out to be idiots. This could be the first series I ever enjoy as much as, or even more than Blade.

Even the little touches like baron helping the kid out of the tree while imparting his philosophy, amazing.

WillyFive

Yeah, I loved the scene in this episode where Grape went to Sid with his credit card to buy and beg for a belt, but offered his loyalty by the end without having to pay a dime, all by using his family name and threatening his future.

Also, Birdie was already proven right, and it's only episode 4:

But oh boy, I have a feeling we're gonna have a lot of MISUNDERSTANDINGS going on here. I fully expect at least 2 pointless fights every episode, and at least 1 Rider being tossed into a river per month.

iSJGCkVmabgdb.gif

shaowebb

On the last 6 episodes of Blade. Me and my wife are watching Faiz but I'll be picking up another show with it. Not certain where to go. Considering Ryuki, Fourze, Kuuga, and possibly going into a Toku Series outside of Kamen Rider.

Also how is gaim shaping up?
0WqsNc5.gif

Gaim is shaping up to be pretty intriguing so far. The four main riders seem to be characterized very well and the soundtrack is good. The dancing isn't really intrusive since its more or less just being used as set up for the various Rider factions in the show. Its definitely worth watching, but keep in mind that Episode 5 is being held off until Nov 10 since SHT is going on break this week.

shaowebb

Sounds alright then. I'll hold off a bit longer and then either go in or go and catch up on some other series first.

I found a short Toku series thats ...well..BIZARRE. 13 episodes and its main character is the worst adult host club date in Neo Kabukicho. A really sleazy dude whose only host club clients are shut ins and he owes money to loan sharks. Seems to be fighting possessed gangs straight out of "The Warriors" or something.

Look up Lion Maru G. Shit is bizarre.

Apparently it was based after a really fucked up Manga. Its subbed and in the first minute he had already swaggered in pinky ringing wearing a white suit, stepped on a condom, pissed off loan sharks, hit on a girl by telling her he had an erection,and hit a homeless person in the head with a bottle.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hahah I swear, all it needs are mirrors and cards and today's Gaim wouldn't be far off from Ryuuki!

And the preview for the next episode just made me remember how I miss the jigoku no banken itself... Here's hoping for Torin to be half as cool as Dekamaster when transformed as well.

Doggie always takes off his coat when he morphs. Torin can't beat that.

vareon

With Mitchy shown jealous at episode 3, how he almost idolizes Kouta, and how Ryugen sides with Zangetsu at episode 1's war scene, you know you can expect Mitchy to side with his brother at some point fueled by our good old misunderstanding.

Sounds alright then. I'll hold off a bit longer and then either go in or go and catch up on some other series first.

I found a short Toku series thats ...well..BIZARRE. 13 episodes and its main character is the worst adult host club date in Neo Kabukicho. A really sleazy dude whose only host club clients are shut ins and he owes money to loan sharks. Seems to be fighting possessed gangs straight out of "The Warriors" or something.

Look up Lion Maru G. Shit is bizarre.

Apparently it was based after a really fucked up Manga. Its subbed and in the first minute he had already swaggered in pinky ringing wearing a white suit, stepped on a condom, pissed off loan sharks, hit on a girl by telling her he had an erection,and hit a homeless person in the head with a bottle.

Lionmaru G is another batshit insane Keita Amemiya show. You should check out the currently-running Gouraigan for another insanity after you finished your shows.

vareon

Has there been a well made female KR character outside of Fourze?

Kuuga has em. Might consider W's Sonozaki sisters, too. Also, I forgot whether or not Kiva's '86 Queen was a great character or not, but she certainly is memorable. I'd argue that Fourze's female cast was simply too vanilla, lol.

And Mai is well-made, whether or not one liked her personality is irrelevant.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah, Kuuga.

There was a well made female KR character in Fourze?

Miu and Tomoko are pretty good. And they may not be well developed but at least they're not annoying or plot hindering.

Yuki is I guess kinda annoying, but she wasn't plot-level-hindering type of annoying.

WillyFive

am i the only one that is not really feeling gaim?

It's ok, but i want kamen rider out of my kamen rider shows, not htis.

Heisei-style Kamen Rider is just as much Kamen Rider as Showa/standard Kamen Rider are. It's a good change of pace too, with plot that moves, no monster-of-the-week formula, and more.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
am i the only one that is not really feeling gaim?

It's ok, but i want kamen rider out of my kamen rider shows, not htis.

Yep, just you. :lol

Gaim is so fucking good. I haven't been this into a Rider show since...man I can't even remember. Decade maybe? And that was only for fanservice.

(W is still the best but I didn't watch that as it was airing.)

WillyFive

Super Sentai is going to start getting expanded universe novels like Kamen Rider, and it's going to start with Shinkenger.

more talk than walk for me.

I also blame the damn fruit armors. It definitely kills some level of seriousness/tension or w/e.

More 'serious' suits might have worked better here, and save the fruits for a more comical season.

The fruit suits work very well, I don't even notice them. They look and act exactly what they're supposed to be in the story: Armor that comes from fruits from another dimension.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The fruit suits work very well, I don't even notice them. They look and act exactly what they're supposed to be in the story: Armor that comes from fruits from another dimension.
You don't notice the giant fruit dropping on to their heads every time they transform?

I don't like this show so far.

Watch Da Birdie

The only "non-Kamen Rider" element really is the fact their civilian identities were revealed right away to basically everyone in the city, but even then previous series were a bit vague...like Fourze would always transform once everyone cleared the area, but it seemed to me like everyone in the school more or less realized it was Gentarou but didn't really acknowledge it most of the time.

Although it bugs me no one really seems to treat Kouta like a celebrity when he's walking around town, even though it seems most people would know who he is by now. I really hope Mitsuzane experiences fall-out at his school when they see the footage of him transforming and they don't ignore that plot point.

You don't notice the giant fruit dropping on to their heads every time they transform?
And the juice that squirts out when they finish transforming...

WillyFive

I don't like this show so far.

That's part of the transformation sequence. I notice it the same way that a giant ring of fire appears when Wizard transforms and a huge tornado happens everytime W transforms.

The only "non-Kamen Rider" element really is the fact their civilian identities were revealed right away to basically everyone in the city, but even then previous series were a bit vague...like Fourze would always transform once everyone cleared the area, but it seemed to me like everyone in the school more or less realized it was Gentarou but didn't really acknowledge it most of the time.

The huge amount of smoke that blew away anyone near him when he transformed probably had something to do with it too.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
How about the floppy shoulder pads they all seemingly have?

Rider fights are dumb.

I don't like anyone in this show except the DJ guy but that's not enough for me to enjoy the show.

Lack of 2 parter format would be appreciated if I cared about what was going on week to week.

I'll give it to movie wars.

Watch Da Birdie

I have to say, this show is VERY effective in making me crave fruit, is anyone else feeling that? I've always liked fruit, but this show gives me a craving for it more than usual. I've almost even tried an orange even though I hate them.

NeonZ

i want my motw though lol. I guess i'm not really feeling any characters just yet. they all seem like pretetious assholes.

I'm actually happy the monsters are a side attraction now. That was actually fairly common in some early Heisei shows, like Agito and Ryuki, and after Wizard I was really tired of all the monster focus, when they didn't seem to be able to do anything with it. Two episodes with multiple battles for each one was just too much.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id660134777?mt=8

wut, an ultraman free 2 play slot battler game in US store?

Tsuburaya Productions needs licensing money, and Animoca Collective will put out any game, anywhere.

Kuuga has em. Might consider W's Sonozaki sisters, too. Also, I forgot whether or not Kiva's '86 Queen was a great character or not, but she certainly is memorable. I'd argue that Fourze's female cast was simply too vanilla, lol.

And Mai is well-made, whether or not one liked her personality is irrelevant.

Queen was a good character in a shaky arc with a predefined ending. So she went from 'flirtin' with disaster' to 'shaking hands with danger' in record time.

Define "pretentious".

more talk than walk for me.

I'm all caught up on Gaim now, and while I'm enjoying it so far, I somewhat agree with chickdigger. Everyone's talking about what they have to do or what they can accomplish with the new Lock Seeds and Warring Drivers, but the show's a slow burner and only a few characters have even started to do anything they claim they want to do, so all this self-aggrandizement comes off as a little pretentious to me, especially since every named character (except Sid) has been doing it so far. I know it's part of the story, but I still don't like it. And Akira's little spiel about doing work that helps others was really irksome, for some reason. She's a pencil pusher, for goodness' sake. It kinda takes the sheen off the show for me.

I dunno I just really really enjoy the show so far. It's a breath of fruity fresh air and honestly the fruit theme doesn't stick out to me that badly, and I can really dig some rider vs rider action now that we've had like 4-5 years without any of that stuff, I'm glad to have it back. I do agree that at this point the show is a slow burn, but I get hyped more and more every week and I feel like once we get to the genesis driver stuff with the energy lockseeds, shit is going to get very real and it's going to be awesome when it happens.

Watch Da Birdie

New spoilers about Gaim going around 2ch (related to the "kids will hate orange juice by episode 14" comment Gen made)

Whenever they transform, the Riders lose part of their life force (presumably this is why juice squirts out of them.

The Genesis Driver causes Rider vs. Rider battles to become ante battles, the winner absorbs part of the loser's life force.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
New spoilers about Gaim going around 2ch (related to the "kids will hate orange juice by episode 14" comment Gen made)

Whenever they transform, the Riders lose part of their life force (presumably this is why juice squirts out of them.

The Genesis Driver causes Rider vs. Rider battles to become ante battles, the winner absorbs part of the loser's life force.

Aw shit. Well that would make sense for a lack of monster of the week.

vareon

The only "non-Kamen Rider" element really is the fact their civilian identities were revealed right away to basically everyone in the city, but even then previous series were a bit vague...like Fourze would always transform once everyone cleared the area, but it seemed to me like everyone in the school more or less realized it was Gentarou but didn't really acknowledge it most of the time.\.

I don't think most of the series is concerned about hidden identities. The last one to be concerned is Shotaro in W, and before that you had to go back to Hibiki and Blade. It's the same with why did the police did jack shit about the weekly threats in the city.

I'm all caught up on Gaim now, and while I'm enjoying it so far, I somewhat agree with chickdigger. Everyone's talking about what they have to do or what they can accomplish with the new Lock Seeds and Warring Drivers, but the show's a slow burner and only a few characters have even started to do anything they claim they want to do, so all this self-aggrandizement comes off as a little pretentious to me, especially since every named character (except Sid) has been doing it so far. I know it's part of the story, but I still don't like it. And Akira's little spiel about doing work that helps others was really irksome, for some reason. She's a pencil pusher, for goodness' sake. It kinda takes the sheen off the show for me.

I don't agree with the slow burner, unless you compare it to other KR which establishes the rider on the first two episodes then proceed with the MoTW while slowly moving the plot. I don't see the self-aggrandizement except from Mai and Akira, which is a response to Kouta not sure yet of what he needs to do with the driver.

We'll see how this goes. It could be shit in the end, but it's worth noting that it's been so long we can have an actual discussion about some elements in Kamen Rider, so I guess their intention to change the formula has been successful so far. Whether or not regulars (we, that is) like the new flavor remains to be seen.

GManDH

Gaim is becoming my favorite Kamen Rider ever. Once i finish a personal series i want to watch other Toku besides, SS, KR, and i saw the sailor moon one.

Top Bottom