• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

How typical that fate decided to wait until Nintendo started region locking its handhelds to make a rider game with Tales-style combat happen.

Edit: It uses CC, too! Those assholes.

shaowebb

On the last episode of Blade now...holy crap this series pours it on. No matter what the outcome it seems there will be a major loss. Doin' it right IMO. This series really does good drama.

I also spotted one of the missing aces from the Blade movie in episode 48 appearing as a Cop.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wait, I was thinking about the latest episode of Gaim...

The White Rider (I don't know his name) threw a lockseed on the ground, so an Inves could eat it and evolve, right?

When Kouta found the belt, he only found the belt, no lockseed in sight. He picked the Orange lockseed from a tree, and then used it to henshin. Kouta was only there because Yuuya (or whatever the fuck was Gaim's team leader name) asked them to come over, to show them something.

Sid gives you a belt AND a lock seed. Could it be that, for some unknown reason, Yuuya never put the belt on and lost the lockseed, at which point an Inves ate it and became the monster Kouta fights on that episode. Maybe then Yuuya got captured by Yggdrasil/killed by the Inves/morphed into a tree or whatever.

I never liked the theory that Yuuya transformed into that monster. That monster being a Inves evolved by the Lockseed Yuuya lost, since Kouta only found the belt, is a better theory imo.

Unless I'm misremembering the "only found the belt and picked the seed from a tree" part.

Also, can't the Inves pick fruits by themselves and evolve? How are they living.

WillyFive

My theory is that the Grape rider will die. I have no hard evidence for this, but he just seems to me as a guy that is trying to achieve too much to have a happy ending.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My theory is that the Grape rider will die. I have no hard evidence for this, but he just seems to me as a guy that is trying to achieve too much to have a happy ending.

Trying to achieve too much? He's doing what his family is asking him to do: He lives a life of study so he can, some day, follow the steps of his Father and Big Brother at the Yggdrasil company. However, he has a secret desire to leave it all behind, be with his friends and with the girl he secretly loves. That's why he's a member of the Gaim dance club, and also why he has to hide it from everybody. However, he wants to "change" (hint hint) and do something about Mai. He doesn't see a problem in hurting yourself when trying to save others, which is why he's more than willing to take Kouta's place.

His story arch is not much different from Kouta's (he's set on a path, everybody told him it's the right path to follow, he doesn't like it that much and wish he could be something else), but his reasons are different. I don't see why would he die, but it's too damn early to be making those kind of predictions anyway.. :D

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Jetman 1-6

Wow! This is good. Damn good.
Characters have depth, go through multiple conflicts both physical and emotional, the villains aren't a team and are all plotting their own goals, and the pacing feels just right.

So far, Ako and Gai are the best characters.

Tenumi

Banned
Jetman 1-6

Wow! This is good. Damn good.
Characters have depth, go through multiple conflicts both physical and emotional, the villains aren't a team and are all plotting their own goals, and the pacing feels just right.

So far, Ako and Gai are the best characters.

I think that's what I loved best about Jetman. The villians almost have a sense of trying to one-up each other, and it leads to some great stuff.

vareon

On the last episode of Blade now...holy crap this series pours it on. No matter what the outcome it seems there will be a major loss. Doin' it right IMO. This series really does good drama.

I also spotted one of the missing aces from the Blade movie in episode 48 appearing as a Cop.

Welcome to the best Kamen Rider ending!

shaowebb

fucking playable joker? region lock is perpetual bullshit

Joker was also playable in Chou Climax Heroes alongside of Fang Joker. Pretty good too. Here's hoping that Battride War continues as a series and that it expands as well as Dynasty Warriors in scope of roster and enemies since region locked 2d beat em up games sucks. Wish this had a psp release like Generation 2...

Also I just finished Kamen Rider Blade! Loved the ending. I used to be "meh" on Blade given the outfits mainly boring me and since Decade did such a terrible job introducing me to the elements of the show when I watched that series to taste test Rider samples. Glad I was convinced to check it out though. Jack and King forms definitely were cool and I really digged Chalice from day 1. Got me a thing for archers and mantids so he's a top Rider in my personal list.Series was a really great drama and I like how it played out.

So thats it...I currently have Faiz which I'll only get to see with my wife so who knows when I'll get to watch it much. Time to find a new series. So far I have seen:
  • Decade
  • W
  • OOOs
  • Kabuto
  • Blade
  • Den O
  • Wizard

Time to choose from:
  • Kuuga
  • Agito
  • Hibiki
  • Kiva
  • Ryuki
  • Fourze
  • Gaim

Decisions, decisions...

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Joker was also playable in Chou Climax Heroes alongside of Fang Joker. Pretty good too. Here's hoping that Battride War continues as a series and that it expands as well as Dynasty Warriors in scope of roster and enemies since region locked 2d beat em up games sucks. Wish this had a psp release like Generation 2...

Also I just finished Kamen Rider Blade! Loved the ending. I used to be "meh" on Blade given the outfits mainly boring me and since Decade did such a terrible job introducing me to the elements of the show when I watched that series to taste test Rider samples. Glad I was convinced to check it out though. Jack and King forms definitely were cool and I really digged Chalice from day 1. Got me a thing for archers and mantids so he's a top Rider in my personal list.Series was a really great drama and I like how it played out.

So thats it...I currently have Faiz which I'll only get to see with my wife so who knows when I'll get to watch it much. Time to find a new series. So far I have seen:
  • Decade
  • W
  • OOOs
  • Kabuto
  • Blade
  • Den O
  • Wizard

Time to choose from:
  • Kuuga
  • Agito
  • Hibiki
  • Kiva
  • Ryuki
  • Fourze
  • Gaim

Decisions, decisions...

you havent seen fourze yet?

vareon

In terms of similarity, Blade-Faiz-Ryuki-Agito can be grouped as similar as a series with more darker and serious elements to them.

Kuuga and Hibiki has similarities in a way that they both feel more like a Japanese drama.

No comment on Gaim unless you want to follow it weekly. Hints are proposing that it's going to be similar with the Blade group, but from what I've seen so far it's a mix between those and the toytastic designs of nowadays.

Fourze is Fourze. Settings, characters, etc are pretty unique but it follows the structure seen in W, OOO, and Wizard.

I actually came into conclusion to recommend you Kiva first. IMO it's the weakest Heisei KR series and everything after that will be better. It has some cool design and ideas though.

WillyFive

Yeah, I couldn't stand Kiva after watching other, better, shows.

And yes, Jetman is the best Sentai, and it gets even better towards the end.

shaowebb

Okay it looks like things wont be as bad as I thought with how much time I'll have for shows so I'm going to try and pick one serious to semi serious one and one with a decent amount of Levity.

Also...I watched the first Episode of Gaim today after finishing up my circuitry reading for class. I am honestly surprised how well the first episode went. Since its only like an episode a week I'll squeeze it in before I got to sleep if theres an update since its kind of hard to backlog something that isn't out yet and save my other Riders for background during meals like normal.

Anyone here able to give a general description on a few series in terms of setting and protagonist personality without spoilers?

Im currently looking at:

• Kuuga (I know little of it or its main character)
  • Agito (I know little of it or its main character)
  • Hibiki (I know little of it or its main character)
  • Kiva ( I know of the spider fangire and something involving a violin?)
  • Ryuki ( I watched all of Dragon Knight and know Hideki Kamiya loves it. I own a Siren Figurart. Know only that there is a Rider War and a mirror world)
  • Fourze ( I know uchu kitaa)

Show 1
(To be determined)
Show 2
(To be determined)
Filler
*Gaim*
*Faiz *(if my wife is around. We're both watching it so it'll be far and in between.)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Okay it looks like things wont be as bad as I thought with how much time I'll have for shows so I'm going to try and pick one serious to semi serious one and one with a decent amount of Levity.

Also...I watched the first Episode of Gaim today after finishing up my circuitry reading for class. I am honestly surprised how well the first episode went. Since its only like an episode a week I'll squeeze it in before I got to sleep if theres an update since its kind of hard to backlog something that isn't out yet and save my other Riders for background during meals like normal.

Anyone here able to give a general description on a few series in terms of setting and protagonist personality without spoilers?

Im currently looking at:

• Kuuga
  • Agito
  • Hibiki
  • Kiva
  • Ryuki
  • Fourze

Show 1
(To be determined)
Show 2
(To be determined)
Filler
*Gaim*

* Kuuga: Probably the most "realistic" take on Kamen Rider, main character though is pretty much like Eiji except a little dumber, but overall a great guy. Downplays a lot of elements like transforming, weapons, etc. Plot is like a procedural, with each MOTW having a unique killing method and there's a mystery element to it. Cops are actually useful.

* Agito: More modern style than Kuuga, but still a bit dark and "realistic", focuses on a big myth arc throughout the show. MOTW are like Kuuga's, "serial killers", but the fight scenes are more like later entries with insert songs and more special attacks. There are three Riders they focus on, Agito, G3, and Gills, each who have their own arcs that intersect.

* Hibiki: Slice-of-life, basically. with the over-arching plot focused on the growth of a young boy who serves as the audience surrogate to the Rider. The main Rider is the oldest, and basically a cool father figure. During the later half, it switches Riders (and Openings), and becomes more traditional...whether you like that or not is up to you.

* Kiva: Borrows a lot of ideas from Faiz, mainly the soap-opera elements, but is unique in featuring two time setting which intersect. There are two main characters, in a way, the main character of the past segments is extremely entertaining (a fun-loving play boy) and redeems the show in many opinions, the main character of the present segment, the titular Kiva, is pretty bland, basically a quieter, more effeminate Ryoutaro. Horror elements early on which sort of fade later, but nice suit designs, and a great score with violin music.

* Ryuki: Ever watched Madoka? Basically a series that's light-hearted yet also has dark elements beneath the surface, focusing on a war between multiple Riders. The main character is basically a goof-ball who doesn't want to fight, although some argue the real main character is "Knight", his friendly rival who is a much darker and serious character. There's a lot of interesting characters, such as a corrupt lawyer and a serial killer, and their interactions is what makes the show.

* Fourze: Very "shonen", hot-blooded. Story isn't that great really, it doesn't move much from the central premise which is "Kamen Rider high school adventures", and it strongly adheres to the monster-of-the-two-weeks format, but it's a fun rider with a likable lead who is a hot-blooded youth who yells his attacks. Arguably the most childish Kamen Rider (there are some surprisingly vicious villains though despite the setting), but it doesn't seem ashamed of that fact. Instead it uses it to its advantage.

WillyFive

I thought Fourze had a good story in that it wasn't a total mess, especially during the usual info-dump near the finale that these shows get. It was executed very cleanly, enough that it was easy to understand and care about things.

Slayven

I thought Fourze had a good story in that it wasn't a total mess, especially during the usual info-dump near the finale that these shows get. It was executed very cleanly, enough that it was easy to understand and care about things.

Foruze was the first Rider show I felt that the writers had a clear vision of the beginning, middle, and end. No curveballs or suddenly appearing end bosses. I love Kabuto but the last third of the show is pure ass. Except for the resolution to Sasori's story.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

my only problem with fourzes ending is that it felt like a retread of W ending. like wizard feels like a recycled OOOS ending. i dont know what the hell was going on with the writers of the latter two in that regard.

Slayven

my only problem with fourzes ending is that it felt like a retread of W ending. like wizard feels like a recycled OOOS ending. i dont know what the hell was going on with the writers of the latter two in that regard.

They could have ended the show with Beast's Real G moment and I would have applauded them.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Megaforce 16

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz- wuh?
This episode didn't feel like much. At least Rico didn't blow up, so that was different I guess. Jeez, how much longer until the Gokaiger episodes?

Off-topic, but I want to mention that the live-action Nick sitcoms look beyond terrible. It's like they've given up on trying to be entertaining and just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Tenumi

Banned
Megaforce 16

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz- wuh?
This episode didn't feel like much. At least Rico didn't blow up, so that was different I guess. Jeez, how much longer until the Gokaiger episodes?

Off-topic, but I want to mention that the live-action Nick sitcoms look beyond terrible. It's like they've given up on trying to be entertaining and just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Four or five episodes or so... and a break until February.

I still need to catch up on the past few episodes. Debating skipping the Halloween one, being mostly a clip show.

WillyFive

I would have been fine with Wizard ending with Beast saving the day. The episodes after that dramatically slow down the show.

Four or five episodes or so... and a break until February.

I still need to catch up on the past few episodes. Debating skipping the Halloween one, being mostly a clip show.

It starts off as a clip show, but ends up being a real episode after that. But unlike the ones in SPD and RPM, it adds nothing to the story.

shaowebb

Just saw Gaim ep 2 during dinner...oh lord please say the bad CG stops there. Also...pineapples. Main character is Den-O levels of fun though.

Im currently looking at:

• Kuuga (I know little of it or its main character)
  • Agito (I know little of it or its main character)
  • Hibiki (I know little of it or its main character)
  • Kiva ( I know of the spider fangire and something involving a violin?)
  • Ryuki ( I watched all of Dragon Knight and know Hideki Kamiya loves it. I own a Siren Figurart. Know only that there is a Rider War and a mirror world)
  • Fourze ( I know uchu kitaa)

Show 1
(To be determined)
Show 2
(To be determined)
Filler
*Gaim*
*Faiz *(if my wife is around. We're both watching it so it'll be far and in between.)
When I first started watching Kamen Rider, I watched Kuuga and Fourze at the same time. In spite of the perceived mood whiplash, I think they complement each other well.

WillyFive

The idea of hating Jetman is alien to me. How can you even?

Gaim spoilers:
The crappy sunflower Lockseeds when opened have some kind of pattern. I think we got Riotroopers incoming.

We know Gaim will have footsoldiers, because they are in the stage shows.

Tenumi

Banned
....I don't think I can do this anymore. I was hoping Zyuranger would pick up once Burai showed up, but I'm still struggling to finish episodes. This isn't fun silliness, this is stupid silliness.

Top Bottom