• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

NeonZ

Do they look better than mages?

Stage show grunts often don't follow the tv show design perfectly. Their design is generally simplified to spandex (even the masquerades had a spandex suit with a skeleton pattern for stage shows).

I kind of doubt the grunts from those specific stage shows will be mp Riders though. Considering the dialogue, it seems like they're supposed to be heavily simplified versions of those weak non evolved Invess, not people transformed into pseudo Riders. Basically, in the tv show, their counterparts are the base gray Invess.

Articalys

There were a bunch of random Akibaranger cameos/references in the latest Comiket-focused episode of four-minute anime Super Seisyun Brothers:
YR4naGj.jpg

ohTxbhb.jpg

LvaJckJ.jpg
And then:
sS0JALa.jpg

5BB9lqr.gif

(kindly ignore the stutter, the scene cuts away in the middle and doesn't transition smoothly when it returns)

GGr31SV.jpg

hero3ses2i.gif
But:

Hey all, I just started watching Kamen Rider for the first time with Gaim, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far. I've been thinking about watching an older series to pass the time waiting for new episodes.

I've done a little bit of research on the franchise, and I've narrowed my choice down to either Kuuga, Kabuto, or W. They all seem like solid shows, so I'm having trouble deciding which to start out with. As someone who's been liking Gaim so far (especially episode 4), what would you guys recommend I try out first?

I also know that Gaim has a bit of a Ryuki influence, but I'd rather not watch two series with a similar premise at the same time.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Hey all, I just started watching Kamen Rider for the first time with Gaim, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far. I've been thinking about watching an older series to pass the time waiting for new episodes.

I've done a little bit of research on the franchise, and I've narrowed my choice down to either Kuuga, Kabuto, or W. They all seem like solid shows, so I'm having trouble deciding which to start out with. As someone who's been liking Gaim so far (especially episode 4), what would you guys recommend I try out first?

I also know that Gaim has a bit of a Ryuki influence, but I'd rather not watch two series with a similar premise at the same time.

W, the kabuto, then kuuga

NeonZ

Are you new to tokusatsu or just Kamen Rider? If you're new to toku, I'd recommend Kabuto. If you're just new to Kamen Rider, go with W. If you want something very different from usual with tons of focus on the police reacting to the existence of monsters and a very different action direction from other shows, go with Kuuga.

Are you new to tokusatsu or just Kamen Rider? If you're new to toku, I'd recommend Kabuto. If you're just new to Kamen Rider, go with W. If you want something very different from usual with tons of focus on the police reacting to the existence of monsters and a very different action direction from other shows, go with Kuuga.

I'm a bit familiar with toku. I've watched Gokaiger, Akibaranger, and the early-mid 2000's Power Rangers seasons (also RPM).

I think I'll give W a shot first and see how that goes. Thanks for the input, everyone.

shaowebb

W. Oh lord W. A million times W. It is one of the best series ever made.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I made a rush through Ultra Anthology series because why not, might as well fill the gap while waiting for ginga.

Then out of the blue there's this CardAss mini segment that resembles X Evolution.

I was like... wut

S1KKxAA.jpg

So I made a rush through Ultra Anthology series because why not, might as well fill the gap while waiting for ginga.

Then out of the blue there's this CardAss mini segment that resembles X Evolution.

I was like... wut

S1KKxAA.jpg

Yeah, those are teasers for the 2013 edition of the game. I liked them, they gave off a hunting action vibe. Too bad they're just promos for a card game.

shaowebb

Regardless of how out there the plot of "dancing game somehow is attached to inves fighting for popularity and prize money" is Gaim is surprisingly good in spite of itself. In 4 episodes the cast is already more fleshed out than I'd say the entirety of Wizard was after a whole season. Most likely because Wizard spent ALL of its time focusing on telling the story of throwaway characters who served as victims every 2 episodes.

No matter how loose, vague or just plain off the setting if you spend your time developing the cast and their struggle to deal with their situation instead of focusing on the problem elements of the show's theme/setting it turns out well apparently.

Glad to eat my words on this one since I was going to skip it based on descriptions. From now on I'll just watch a show and see because there wasn't really any predicting Gaim to be anything worth watching and yet it is.

Now to figure out what else I am actually planning to watch during my down time between episodes. Im still super torn on what to go for.

vareon

I have little hope they'll the connection between dancing and inves fighting (they're dance teams, but when they face each other they throw Pokemon at each other?). Dancing felt like the last element they put in the whole series. I have no doubt they'll explain why dancing teams are serious business for everyone, though. They already started with Mitsuzane so everyone else's motivations should be revealed in due time.

Urobuchi already said that the dance crews were just a basic setup for the faction aspect of the series and would get phased out once things start getting into motion. In the first episode Yuuya was already complaining about how Inves battles were overshadowing the dance routines.

shaowebb

I just hope it doesn't fall apart in the end.

After Wizard we all hope this. 50+ episodes of absolutely nothing. Considering the only episodes worth watching were the Gremlin 2 parter, the Phoenix 2 parter, and the White Wizard ending 2 parter it only had 6 episodes of merit. Gaim already has 5 good episodes under it...looks promising for now.

Boss Doggie

So any hints of the Sentai replacing kyoryu?

After Wizard we all hope this. 50+ episodes of absolutely nothing. Considering the only episodes worth watching were the Gremlin 2 parter, the Phoenix 2 parter, and the White Wizard ending 2 parter it only had 6 episodes of merit. Gaim already has 5 good episodes under it...looks promising for now.

I pray so.

shaowebb

Wife and me finally got back in some time with Faiz and hit up ep3. I really dig the way the show rolls, but Im curious if every single monster of the week will first be precursored with a super cruel and tragic backstory for them first or if they are just setting up backstory for small cast of villains to have recur right now. Well written either way. Really dig everything about Faiz so far.

Tenumi

Banned
I still like the Japanese version of "BRAVE (full stop) IN!" better than the Ramirez' linguistically-correct "Brave in..."

They will most certainly screw it up on the American Adaptation.

Man, why you gotta be like that.

I'm doubting that they'll keep the gun morphers, personally. But we've still got Super Megaforce and the Go-Busters adaptation before then.

Boss Doggie

drizzle

Axel Hertz
There was a trailer for something where Torin does the narration for everything and it was pretty great.

edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6ia_ReE-Y

That ending is pretty good... "See... and then... hear our roar (and tremble)" with a somber voice.

Say what you will about the Japanese Language (I'm still learning it and I still suck at it A BUNCH), but one thing that they know how to do is weigh their words properly when they want to.

Boss Doggie

dogekruggera4x07.png

I duno why I did this

That ending is pretty good... "See... and then... hear our roar (and tremble)" with a somber voice.

Say what you will about the Japanese Language (I'm still learning it and I still suck at it A BUNCH), but one thing that they know how to do is weigh their words properly when they want to.

Nah Japanese people like to put emotions in their lines when they act/narrate. This si not how they actually talk :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It may be blasphemy around here, but I always have preferred the SPD Doggie suit over the Dekaranger Doggie suit.

Just my opinion though. Still want to watch Dekaranger sometime.

Those must be some some Grade A drugs. Anubis (I think that was it?) is also a dumb ass name.

WillyFive

It may be blasphemy around here, but I always have preferred the SPD Doggie suit over the Dekaranger Doggie suit.

Just my opinion though. Still want to watch Dekaranger sometime.

The SPD suit had far better animatronics than Doggie with his unmovable mouth; but the design itself is not as striking and cool as the original. Honestly, it's a pretty lame downgrade. I guess Disney felt that he needed to have scales to be an alien....

The character itself was more likable than the original though, in my opinion.

karasu

I've been running Kamen Rider Wizard all night. It's my first of these shows since Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I was hooked by a gif posted in the OT forum. I'm a little worried by the posts in this thread that say the show is shit though.

Oh wait I also watched that movie with like 34 teams in it yesterday.

Top Bottom