• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gokaiger didn't need plot (although it did have a neat one), it was incredibly fun and entertaining to watch.

Yeah it was fun and all, but that fun is pretty much what made it cover up for its flat characters barring Marvelous, its one-off villains barring Basco, and its plot.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah it was fun and all, but that fun is pretty much what made it cover up for its flat characters barring Marvelous, its one-off villains barring Basco, and its plot.

So?

After watching more Sentai after Gokaiger it's easy to see the flaws the show has but..

still fun as fuck to watch a random episode

WillyFive

I wouldn't call them flat. Maybe GokaiBlue's acting was flat, but they didn't really feel flat. I'd say they weren't complicated, which is not really a bad thing.

It handled it's characters a heck of a lot better than Go-Busters, which episode to episode it couldn't figure out if it's main characters were supposed to be likable or not.

ReiGun

"I'm inter-dimensional being trapped in a time warp."

That doesn't even mean anything, Zordon.

(MMPR is on Teen Nick if you have the channel)

Boss Doggie

So?

After watching more Sentai after Gokaiger it's easy to see the flaws the show has but..

still fun as fuck to watch a random episode

Oh I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying that those are true.

I wouldn't call them flat. Maybe GokaiBlue's acting was flat, but they didn't really feel flat. I'd say they weren't complicated, which is not really a bad thing.

It handled it's characters a heck of a lot better than Go-Busters, which episode to episode it couldn't figure out if it's main characters were supposed to be likable or not.

Most of the characters didn't really pay much to their development and didn't really play off with each other, is what I'm saying. The focus is in Marvelous after all.

Eh personally I think they're all well developed and I think Nick is more "realistic" than likeable (and their development is less overt and more spread out through the episodes, and their character growth is more about how they interact with each other), but I think this thread has made up its mind about Go-Busters (seriously, something is wrong when this thread say the mecha choreography of GB is crap) and there's already a place that lauds GB anyway, so I think I'll leave it there :p

Tenumi

Banned
"I'm inter-dimensional being trapped in a time warp."

That doesn't even mean anything, Zordon.

(MMPR is on Teen Nick if you have the channel)

It feels so surreal watching this after watching some Zyuranger. Especially since Green with Evil is on now and I already finished the Burai bit early on in Zyuranger.

Also, so much cheese....

WillyFive

but I think this thread has made up its mind about Go-Busters (seriously, something is wrong when this thread say the mecha choreography of GB is crap)

Who said that?

(Although I suppose the mecha choreography wasn't that much different from other shows, the big difference was the filming and the context)

LostAnkh

Bought to own a PS3 folks...name some import games someone who likes toku who knows no japanese should play.
Batt Ride War, because there aren't any other PS3 toku games that you could pick up. Most of the recent titles are either beat'em ups or fighters.

Other than that, you should look into these import titles that will be released:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost - A must if you are a Gundam fan, but it is a great arcade game overall.
J Stars Victory VS - If you loved Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, get excited for this. An Anime ver. of Super Smash Bros, and one crazy crossover.

Boss Doggie

Who said that?

(Although I suppose the mecha choreography wasn't that much different from other shows, the big difference was the filming and the context)

I dunno, GB feels more stylized in mecha fights.

And someone said Kyoryu has mecha fights better than GB and that's a fucking lie

shaowebb

Batt Ride War, because there aren't any other PS3 toku games that you could pick up. Most of the recent titles are either beat'em ups or fighters.

Other than that, you should look into these import titles that will be released:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost - A must if you are a Gundam fan, but it is a great arcade game overall.
J Stars Victory VS - If you loved Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, get excited for this. An Anime ver. of Super Smash Bros, and one crazy crossover.

Have they never made a decent sentai game or Garo then? How about other fighting games? I know of Chaos Breake (akak Dark Awake) and Aquapazza thanks to reXXXsoprano. Not certain if Basara X or the Hokuto no Ken fighters on PS2 play on PS3 or are available digitally though...

Slayven

Have they never made a decent sentai game or Garo then? How about other fighting games? I know of Chaos Breake (akak Dark Awake) and Aquapazza thanks to reXXXsoprano. Not certain if Basara X or the Hokuto no Ken fighters on PS2 play on PS3 or are available digitally though...

There was a Garo game on the PS2

There was a Garo game on the PS2

Yeah, but he's asking for decent games.
Besides, PS2 games are still region locked on PS3s, so that wouldn't be much help.

There actually aren't that many Toku games for the PS3, Shaowebb - they're mostly on portables because they don't require a lot of dev time. Battride War was like a sunshower in the desert. I'll second LostAnkh's recommendations for Full Boost and J Stars Victory VS.

Slayven

Yeah, but he's asking for decent games.
Besides, PS2 games are still region locked on PS3s, so that wouldn't be much help.

There actually aren't that many Toku games for the PS3, Shaowebb. Battride War was like a sunshower in the desert. I'll second LostAnkh's recommendations for Full Boost and J Stars Victory VS.

I found the lack of Toku games odd. We need a another Toku wars game.

I found the lack of Toku games odd.

Bandai just stuck to the most popular systems - portables, the PS2 and the Wii. It's not like little kids are asking for 720p, they'll beg their parents to buy anything with their favorite characters in it. We might see more PS3 toku games now that the system's starting to settle into the PS2's niche.

We need another Toku wars game.

That's what I keep saying! It's easy money, Banpresto's bound to try it again eventually.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Megaforce 17

Surprisingly good action in this one. Even if there's yet another Megazord. I get that it's due to Goseiger have waaaay too many robots though.
Didn't care about the subplot with the kid waiting for his mom. It didn't help that they couldn't act. In fact, that's another big problem with this series, the acting overall has been terrible. Nobody feels human.

WillyFive

Roboknight reminded me of Data from Star Trek TNG in this episode. I think they should have just gone and gave him dialogue that would give him the same goal and aspirations as Data, instead of just being there and have everything explained to him.

vareon

Toku games are pretty few, but there are some games that scratches my Toku needs, like inFamous or Prototype.

Slayven

Evil Brave IN!!!!

C6OBHVK.jpg

So I finally started watching some old Japanese tokusatsu shows.

Have always been interested but also wary of going down the proverbial rabbit hole.

Well now I did and I have finished just watching all of Zyuranger and Kakuranger.
I enjoyed both of them. I stopped watching MMPR after the first 2 seasons and only ever saw episodes in passing after that.

Kind of glad I went back to watch Zyuranger especially because it was a legitimately good show. I don't know if I ever want to watch any sort of MMPR series now.

I'm a bit torn on where to go next. I'm tempted to make the jump to a Rider series. Especially since I picked up Battle Ride War recently. Heh.

Tenumi

Banned

Kind of glad I went back to watch Zyuranger especially because it was a legitimately good show. I don't know if I ever want to watch any sort of MMPR series now.

I'm going to have to massively disagree with you there.

Also never watching RPM is a bad thing to do.

Xadhoom

Neo Member
It's remarkable how boring they've managed to make the Super Hero Taisen movies. Z was a step in the right direction though.
Is there a story behind the Kikaider teaser in the end, or was it just for fun?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Soo I think it's been confirmed that TyrannoRanger, AbaRed, and AbareBlue are going to be in this.

Wonder about the rest of the Zyurangers, considering it was Mei who first said that the Zyurangers had something to announce.

Got approved recently and figured I'd make my first post here as this thread was the reason I signed up for an account to being with.

A while back I was interested in trying out tokusatsu and I ran into this thread, looked at the recommendations, and pick Kamen Rider W as my first tokusatsu. I absolutely loved it and it's become one of my favorite shows ever. Currently watching all of Den-O with a friend and we're currently I think at episode 41. Also watching Gaim every week and it's pretty interesting so far. I'm glad I watched a show with the 2 episode monster format before seeing how Gaim changes up said formula.

May pop in and out of this thread from time to time but wanted to say thanks for giving me my tokusatsu start! Maybe once I've gotten through a few more Kamen Rider seasons I can branch out into other shows.

NeonZ

It's remarkable how boring they've managed to make the Super Hero Taisen movies. Z was a step in the right direction though.
Is there a story behind the Kikaider teaser in the end, or was it just for fun?

There's supposed to be some kind of new Kikaider live action project, but they've been very silent lately, although there are secondary products announced (novel, new figures). I guess after the other hero movies underperformed, they might have ditched it as a standalone project and will just add him to the next Super Hero Taisen, or even completely scrapped the idea...

The Spandex parts of the new Space Sheriffs make them look cheap.

The problem is that they aren't even new. It's just the old suits, with some minor color changes. It was really stupid to go with those designs for new characters.

Anyone else feeling that there are too many Riders now?

I feel like they're just putting all the pawns on the field at this point and the rider introductions are going to slow down considerably in a couple episodes so they can all duke it out and intertwine in each other's stories and then around episode 20 or so the Genesis Driver riders will show up and shake things up and then we probably won't get any new riders until like the very end if they decide to throw in a pure evil rider or something.

Slayven

There's supposed to be some kind of new Kikaider live action project, but they've been very silent lately, although there are secondary products announced (novel, new figures). I guess after the other hero movies underperformed, they might have ditched it as a standalone project and will just add him to the next Super Hero Taisen, or even completely scrapped the idea...

The problem is that they aren't even new. It's just the old suits, with some minor color changes. It was really stupid to go with those designs for new characters.

HD has not been kind to Toku.

WillyFive

SHTZ was better than I expected. Pretty decent fan service, a bunch of cool moments, played with your expectations (like playing the usual trope of having a certain cast member not coming back by having them do something else off-screen or have them in-suit all the time, and the suddenly break it by having them actually appear later in the movie), and they handled cameos a lot better than in the first one (despite them pulling the same rip-off with the Kamen Rider/Metal Hero Gokai Changes from last time).

Also, lots of great out-of-suit fight scenes from Gai. He felt like the star of the movie.

It is like they tried to redeem the Space siblings

Yeah...

and throw in a bit of an incest vibe.

...no....

Slayven

Fuck Haruto, everyone out there fighting tooth and claw to save the earth and his ass shows up at the last minute. And while he is pulling rings out his ass, why not make everything all right, please?

Articalys

Once again, from Super Seisyun Brothers:
Along with a lot of other characters in the background like last time, but I didn't feel like screenshotting them all. Whoever's working on this anime must really love Akibaranger.

Top Bottom