• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Just got done watching IGN's video review. It was really nice to see a review of a single-player title that didn't even once bitch about the lack of a multi-player component.

Empty

5/10 from destructoid

http://www.destructoid.com/review-vanquish

baffling review as it seems like the reviewer only used the slide to get in close for melee attacks, which is what the game mechanics tell you not to do, rather than as the backbone of everything you do in the combat arenas, meaning that he claims the emphasis on speed actually makes the game worse, when that couldn't be further from the case in my view.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Empty said:
5/10 from destructoid

baffling review as it seems like the reviewer only used the slide to get in close for melee attacks, which is what the game mechanics tell you not to do, rather than as the backbone of everything you do in the combat arenas, meaning that he claims the emphasis on speed actually makes the game worse, when that couldn't be further from the case in my view.

Destructoid reviews, to be honest, baffle me more often than they inform.

EDIT: Oh it's a Jim Sterling review. SURPRISE.

Empty said:
5/10 from destructoid

game reviewer doesn't understand game; awards low score.

exactly what i predicted was going to happen to this title. shame really.

Defunkled

Empty said:
5/10 from destructoid

Oh. My. God.

I'm going to murder Jim Sterling. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HIS TASTES. HE DOES NOT LIKE ANYTHING

Beezy

Empty said:
5/10 from destructoid

It's God Hand all over again...

Animator

There hasnt been a destructoid review I agreed with so them giving 5 to vanquish is great news for me. It only affirms that I will love the game.

Did they really give 4.5 to assasins creed 2? just lol.

Defunkled said:
Oh. My. God.

I'm going to murder Jim Sterling. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HIS TASTES. HE DOES NOT LIKE ANYTHING

I remember listening to that hack in a interview on the epic battlecry podcast. Half-way into the interview you heard him yelling at his small child. Man, that guy thinks his own kid is a 5/10.

Defunkled

Anyone else think Destructoid should have more than one reviewer? I know they have other people do reviews sometimes, but Jim handles the bulk (no pun intended) of them. As Animator said, more often than not, a low score on Destructoid usually means I'm going to enjoy a game a lot.

dwebo

Well, the first half of the review just sounds like he's terrible at the game. There are some legitimate criticisms in the second half, which were already trickling in, like no upgrade system outside of ammo capacity increases, and less than six hours including cutscenes.

Also, if the final boss
really is just an earlier boss x 2,
I'll be sad.

Koralsky

keltickennedy said:
I remember listening to that hack in a interview on the epic battlecry podcast. Half-way into the interview you heard him yelling at his small child. Man, that guy thinks his own kid is a 5/10.

js1.jpg

DaBuddaDa

Huh, the Destructoid website went down, now the Vanquish review is gone and it says:

"Coming soon. Like Tuesday, the October 19. Pew pew pew. "

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Destructoid review comments said:
And yet you give shit like Enslaved a 9/10... How the fuck do you still have a job?

Great question.

DaBuddaDa

Maybe he'll replay some of it tonight before the review goes up tomorrow and not play it like a retard.

That, or there's an embargo for web reviews until tomorrow.

Amir0x

Banned
if you guys are gonna start the fat jokes as a way of dismissing his perspective you're gonna get banned. Same policy as Gerstmann, same policy as Gabe Newell.

You've been warned.

Beezy said:
It's God Hand all over again...

I honestly don't think that comparing anything with God Hand is going to be a service to that product.

I for one, hated playing god hand and everything about it. It may not have been completely fair, but I sure as hell understood where IGN got that score from.

The only reason people go all overboard on it, is because so many other games are judged FAR to kindly. If all those 9's, 8's and 7's were more in line with what they should have been (and, of course, that 'oscar worthy' 10), very few people (that is: even fewer than now) would feel inclined to say that GH was treated overly unjust.

But to conclude this offtopic rant: I do not think that Vanquish has that same lack of initial appeal, nor the glaring lack of ways the game can point out that you would be playing it wrong.

I find 'human failure' to be a much more acceptable speculation in this case then I ever felt it to be with GH.

Salsa

"look a reviewer doesnt like the game, he must be stupid!! and FAT and he liked Enslaved he doesnt know anything about games lololol"

calm the fuck down, really :/ i hate this defense force crap. Go buy the game and watch the reviews that please you. One guy doesnt agree, so ? have you even played the game yet ?

Dammit, just realized I'm going to be working late this whole week so I probably won't even get to play this until Saturday night, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Maybe I just won't sleep...

Salsa

so you get worked up and say a website doesnt know about games because they disagree with you ?

move on

People say God Hand is crap, i disagree, i love the FUCK out of that game. Now, i DO understand how someone would not like it, its a game that really fits my taste.

Seriously i laugh when people get all RAGE when a game gets this kind of reviews. Not that it will affect sales or anything, since the game is probably not gonna do so well since SEGA cant market shit.

Animator

SalsaShark said:
"look a reviewer doesnt like the game, he must be stupid!! and FAT and he liked Enslaved he doesnt know anything about games lololol"

calm the fuck down, really :/ i hate this defense force crap. Go buy the game and watch the reviews that please you. One guy doesnt agree, so ? have you even played the game yet ?

The demo of Vanquish alone is a better game than the entirety of Enslaved.

thetrin

SalsaShark said:
so you get worked up and say a website doesnt know about games because they disagree with you ?

move on

People say God Hand is crap, i disagree, i love the FUCK out of that game. Now, i DO understand how someone would not like it, its a game that really fits my taste.

Seriously i laugh when people get all RAGE when a game gets this kind of reviews. Not that it will affect sales or anything, since the game is probably not gonna do so well since SEGA cant market shit.

Why move on when we can shine a light on how much of a tool Jim Sterling is?

Salsa

Animator said:
The demo of Vanquish alone is a better game than the entirety of Enslaved.

Says you, not Jim Sterling.

Here's a mindblowing fact: different people have different opinions.

I for one kinda dig Destructoid for going out of the usual way when reviewing games. Will i agree with this review ? probably not. But i do agree with a lot of the other reviews on the site, of mostly universal-praised games.

Bashing a site for having a different review must be the most fanboy-ish thing possible.

Amir0x said:
if you guys are gonna start the fat jokes as a way of dismissing his perspective you're gonna get banned. Same policy as Gerstmann, same policy as Gabe Newell.

You've been warned.

All joking aside, The size of the guy can be related to the reviews. Meaning, he probably isn't that active and probably doesn't do many things but play video games. Especially this month alone, how many games has he reviewed so far? I think anyone sampling so much of the same thing over and over is bound to get jaded, thinking everything is the same old shit. Very few things can entertain and be fun to them anymore.

But hey....The review is just one guys opinion.

SalsaShark said:

To be perfectly honest here, giving Enslaved a 9/10 does show that he only played the first few levels.

Let's not pretend that these guys are not being either paid or specifically put forward as 'experts' and we can hold that expertise against critical inspection as you would any other expert.

Amir0x

Banned
keltickennedy said:
All joking aside, The size of the guy can be related to the reviews. Meaning, he probably isn't that active and probably doesn't do many things but play video games. Especially this month alone, how many games has he reviewed so far? I think anyone sampling so much of the same thing over and over is bound to get jaded, thinking everything is the same old shit. Very few things can entertain and be fun to them anymore.

But hey....The review is just one guys opinion.

the size of the guy is related to the fact that he probably stuffs his face too damn much

the point is, his girth is not the issue. If you have issues with his review - and there are plenty enough of those to point out - feel free to rip it to shreds.

Animator

SalsaShark said:
Says you, not Jim Sterling.

Here's a mindblowing fact: different people have different opinions.

I for one kinda dig Destructoid for going out of the usual way when reviewing games. Will i agree with this review ? probably not. But i do agree with a lot of the other reviews on the site, of mostly universal-praised games.

Bashing a site for having a different review must be the most fanboy-ish thing possible.

Yea my opinion is better.

Defending a site blindly like you do is not? I cant take a site seriously that gave assasins creed 4.5 and enslaved a 9. But carry on you champion of destructoid.

Salsa

Zeitgeister said:
To be perfectly honest here, giving Enslaved a 9/10 does show that he only played the first few levels.

Let's not pretend that these guys are not being either paid or specifically put forward as 'experts' and we can hold that expertise against critical inspection as you would any other expert.

Like i said, Destructoid is the other side of the coin most of the time. Their reviews always seem a lot more subjective and open to the particular taste of the reviewer. I think this is kinda cool, and i give their reviews the same amount of importance i give to any other review: not much. Gameplay vids + devs involved already sold me on this game. I have to try it myself, so reviews do nothing for me. Same with a lot of other games.

DaBuddaDa

Don't bash an entire website, bash specific reviewers. A not-Jim-Sterling reviewer at Destructoid just gave Super Meat Boy a 9.5, a well deserved and perfectly justifiable score.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Destructoid: Does not understand games designed for gamers. Black-listed.
If he has valid reasons for his appraisal then it's possible that he just has different tastes. Reviews are subjective. But it's hard to tell if that's the case without seeing the text. I've read reviews where a misunderstanding of the mechanics have had an effect on the score.

Salsa

Animator said:
Yea my opinion is better.

Defending a site blindly like you do is not? I cant take a site seriously that gave assasins creed 4.5 and enslaved a 9. But carry on you champion of destructoid.

Im not defending anything, and i am certainly not a "champion of Destructoid". Im just saying that its pretty stupid to go all berskerk on some random review.

"THEY DONT GET IT". Maybe they get it but they still dont like it, isnt that an option ?

My favorite reviews are the ones that don't have scores. Makes people actually read it, instead of just scrolling down and looking at the score and thinking, Yay or Nay.

Top Bottom