• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

9/10 to Enslaved...woah!!

Anyway, the only Jim Sterling I could agree on was the Deadly Premonition one, I thoight he "get it" that time....every other review was awful...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SapientWolf said:
If he has valid reasons for his appraisal then it's possible that he just has different tastes. Reviews are subjective. But it's hard to tell if that's the case without seeing the text. I've read reviews where a misunderstanding of the mechanics have had an effect on the score.

The review illustrates very plainly that he doesn't understand the mechanics of the game. He's totally mystified by the fact that your melee, which is supposed to be used VERY SPARINGLY uses his entire boost meter.

Salsa

thetrin said:
The review illustrates very plainly that he doesn't understand the mechanics of the game. He's totally mystified by the fact that your melee, which is supposed to be used VERY SPARINGLY uses his entire boost meter.

Maybe they took the review down because he wasnt aware of this fact. Ive seen a few corrections on reviews when stuff like this gets pointed out.

SalsaShark said:
Im not defending anything, and i am certainly not a "champion of Destructoid". Im just saying that its pretty stupid to go all berskerk on some random review.

"THEY DONT GET IT". Maybe they get but they still dont like it, isnt that an option ?
its fairly clear from his description of the game mechanics that he didn't have a good understanding of how to play the game the way it was designed. for as much weight as his criticisms carry he should be just as upset that vanquish doesn't have a complex dialogue-tree system or the ability to paint decals on the armor.

Shurs

What's hilarious is that Destructoid is the one site that got the box quote for Vanquish.

"Bloody Terrific."
-Destructoid

I shit you not.

Salsa

Rabbitwork said:
its fairly clear from his description of the game mechanics that he didn't have a good understanding of how to play the game the way it was designed.

Yup, like i said above, that's fair enough.

Let's see whats the deal when the review goes back up.

I do disapprove of bad reviews when the issue is not understanding the game's mechanics. But for example i think that wasnt the case with Assassins creed II. It was a valid review, wether you decide to ignore it or not.

SalsaShark said:
Like i said, Destructoid is the other side of the coin most of the time. Their reviews always seem a lot more subjective and open to the particular taste of the reviewer. I think this is kinda cool, and i give their reviews the same amount of importance i give to any other review: not much. Gameplay vids + devs involved already sold me on this game. I have to try it myself, so reviews do nothing for me. Same with a lot of other games.

Well, the reviews down now but it sounds like there were some fallacies in it or at least that Jim missed the point.

@ the bolded, there is a demo you know.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SalsaShark said:
Yup, like i said above, that's fair enough.

Let's see whats the deal when the review goes back up.

The point, though, is that reviewers are supposed to be seasoned gamers. How can he not even figure out how to play the game properly?

Salsa

electroshockwave said:
Well, the reviews down now but it sounds like there were some fallacies in it or at least that Jim missed the point.

@ the bolded, there is a demo you know.

dont own PS360!

hopefully will do soon, stuff like this game are driving me over the edge.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
thetrin said:
To be fair, that was a pretty common demo complaint. It was a deliberate move on Mikami's part because he wanted the player to focus on the shooting. If he was aware of this and still continued to stumble through the game trying to abuse melee then yeah, he was doing it wrong. But if played the game like it was intended and just didn't care for that design decision then that's another matter altogether.

But it's really a moot point for me because I already made my purchasing decision based on the demo.

Salsa

thetrin said:
The point, though, is that reviewers are supposed to be seasoned gamers. How can he not even figure out how to play the game properly?

We all know that Sterling isnt the best reviewer out there :lol

Im not defending him, im just saying that reviewers can have differente opinions if they are justified (wich i think was the case with both ACII and Enslaved).

If he did had a problem with the mechanic, and wasnt aware he was doing something wrong, i just hope he posts a corrected review. Pretty embarrasing that stuff like that can happen to reviewers, but its not the first time ive seen it.

dwebo

Destructoid said:
Despite the bombast and flair, Vanquish is actually a rather run-of-the-mill shooter that manages to devolve its genre, rather than evolve it. For instance, Sam's rocket gliding ability is governed by an energy meter. His melee attacks are governed by the same meter. Yes, you read that right, Sam actually needs energy to punch his opponents, and once he's landed a successful punch, he can't glide away since the energy meter completely drains. Several times, I punched an enemy, failed to kill it thanks to Sam's lack inability aim his punches properly, and was killed because I could neither defend myself or swiftly escape.

So what does this mean for the overall game? It means that, when you get down to it, Vanquish is just another cover shooter with shallow gimmicks that have no applicable use. Sam's glide ability is only useful for escaping (or trying to), since there's no point getting up close and killed because you have no power left. Any thoughts you had of sliding toward an enemy, murdering him in a flurry of punches, and deftly sliding away like an awesome space ninja better be abolished from your head -- everything you do in this game makes you vulnerable, weak, and ultimately dead.
I still had the review open in another tab. This is from the first half of the review, the part that I thought sounded like he was just bad at the game. I bolded the parts that he had italicized.

Let me know if posting a removed review is a no-no or whatever. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
handwave1.gif
jim sterling

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
electroshockwave said:
What? Vanquish isn't some kind of rocket-sliding brawler?!

What am I supposed to do, shoot them or something? Pre-order cancelled.
Even then, I wonder if it is still possible to do a melee only run on certain levels.

jett

D-Member
dwebo said:
I still had the review open in another tab. This is from the first half of the review, the part that I thought sounded like he was just bad at the game. I bolded the parts that he had italicized.

Let me know if posting a removed review is a no-no or whatever. :lol

uggghh what a douche, can't believe he tried to play the game as if it was a brawler. :lol

have they given any explanation why they removed the review?

Empty

i imagine its because they didn't read their embargo carefully enough. i think the non ign reviews aren't meant to come till tomorrow.

Shurs

jett said:
uggghh what a douche, can't believe he tried to play the game as if it was a brawler. :lol

have they given any explanation why they removed the review?

Maybe they figured that IGN's review meant the embargo was up. Then they published their review only to find out that IGN had an exclusive first review or something. My embargo date is tomorrow, but I got my review copy today, so there's no way I'll review it that soon.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Aaaaand thread title change. :lol

We've already had hype, backlash, meltdowns and bannings and the game isn't even out yet. If the full game is half as exciting as the thread then we're in for one wild ride.

Canova

Banned
Animator said:
Yea my opinion is better.

Defending a site blindly like you do is not? I cant take a site seriously that gave assasins creed 4.5 and enslaved a 9. But carry on you champion of destructoid.

it's Western media biased

Several times, I punched an enemy, failed to kill it thanks to Sam's lack inability aim his punches properly, and was killed because I could neither defend myself or swiftly escape.

Wow really? Can't believe to wake up to find shit like this.

This is so not fucking true, unless things are different from the demo. Even in the demo your melee attacks NEVER used energy if you missed an enemy. I was trying to use his boost drop kick to get extra distance sometimes because of that fact....

V_Ben

Banned
Shurs said:
What's hilarious is that Destructoid is the one site that got the box quote for Vanquish.

"Bloody Terrific."
-Destructoid

I shit you not.

Oh, wow. Deserved the title change :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
jett said:
Disaster of a thread title. Attracts to attention to where it shouldn't. Change back plz.
What are you talking about? It saves the GAF readers valuable time in discovering how shit this game is.

5 is horrid horrid filth.

this is shit.
teehee

Animator said:
Yea my opinion is better.

Defending a site blindly like you do is not? I cant take a site seriously that gave assasins creed 4.5 and enslaved a 9. But carry on you champion of destructoid.
Ugh. I hate this shit.

IGN gave Jade Empire 9.9. Why ever go to that site again?
Roger Ebert gave Knowing 4 stars.. what a douchechill!
If a site posts a factually incorrect review, that's one thing. This whole meme of 'let's check the reviewer's past to see if he's wrong or not about a game I haven't played yet' is so irritating. P.S. Armond White is the exception to what I just said!

thetrin

BudokaiMR2 said:

This is so not fucking true, unless things are different from the demo. Even in the demo your melee attacks NEVER used energy if you missed an enemy. I was trying to use his boost drop kick to get extra distance sometimes because of that fact....

That hasn't changed. A poster in this thread posted a video of the full version of the game where he used a punch and missed and it didn't drain his meter.

Has the review been taken down because of a general embargo, or is it because they want to hide it and change it?

Stealth edit: IGN review is up, so I don't think there's an embargo anymore, if there ever was one.

BudokaiMR2 said:

What is this from? Destructoid? He didn't even play the fucking game if that's the case. I've NEVER had a problem with melee.

metareferential said:
Has the review been taken down because of a general embargo, or is it because they want to hide it and change it?

Stealth edit: IGN review is up, so I don't think there's an embargo anymore, if there ever was one.
Maybe they'll get someone who actually played the game to re-review it.

metareferential said:

Let's hope it comes back different, considering it is actually WRONG!

thetrin

metareferential said:

IGN might have exclusivity (I'm not entirely sure)

SapientWolf said:
Even then, I wonder if it is still possible to do a melee only run on certain levels.

I just tried this in the demo on easy mode. I was able to take out pretty much everybody except the two guys on the turrets and the boss. Still, there was a lot of hiding in cover while my meter recharged and I had to hold back the urge to go into AR mode and shoot them after a kick.

robor

Destructoid said:
Despite the bombast and flair, Vanquish is actually a rather run-of-the-mill shooter that manages to devolve its genre, rather than evolve it. For instance, Sam's rocket gliding ability is governed by an energy meter. His melee attacks are governed by the same meter. Yes, you read that right, Sam actually needs energy to punch his opponents, and once he's landed a successful punch, he can't glide away since the energy meter completely drains. Several times, I punched an enemy, failed to kill it thanks to Sam's lack inability aim his punches properly, and was killed because I could neither defend myself or swiftly escape.

So what does this mean for the overall game? It means that, when you get down to it, Vanquish is just another cover shooter with shallow gimmicks that have no applicable use. Sam's glide ability is only useful for escaping (or trying to), since there's no point getting up close and killed because you have no power left. Any thoughts you had of sliding toward an enemy, murdering him in a flurry of punches, and deftly sliding away like an awesome space ninja better be abolished from your head -- everything you do in this game makes you vulnerable, weak, and ultimately dead.

You have got to be kidding me...

Top Bottom