• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

robor

Y2Kev said:
Sam actually needs energy to punch things?!!??! THATS PREPOSTEROUS

But that's the thing, it isn't just a few punches, it's a few punches with a final blow (fist glows white) to deliver heavy damage, overheating is the trade-off for using it. It's a balancing decision. It's crazy that Sterling fails to understand this.

If I ever see this asshole, he is going to meet the severe force by my fist applied on his cranium. He did not play the game.

Yea, I'm quite suspicious of this, especially now that the review was pulled down, and knowing that he gave Enslaved a 9, gives me the impression that he can only give high scores to games that sport linear gameplay. Because it's easier for him to speed-review! : P

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Someone had the full game and brought it into our place over the weekend. After playing for like 4 hours straight, I must say that you guys will be pleased.

Shurs

_tetsuo_ said:
Someone had the full game and brought it into our place over the weekend. After playing for like 4 hours straight, I must say that you guys will be pleased.

Why quit right before the end?

Colocho

Banned
Um, I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here as this seems to be GAFs weekly "gaming jounalism lol" thread, but the original language for this is Japanese right? And no, not because the developer is Japanese the original intended voices for this are Japanese also.

Colocho said:
Um, I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here as this seems to be GAFs weekly "gaming jounalism lol" thread, but the original language for this is Japanese right? And no, not because the developer is Japanese the original intended voices for this are Japanese also.
English. Hell, they synced everything for English exclusively.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Colocho said:

English. It's a Mikami game after all.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm dying to get my hands on the game. Can't wait until tomorrow. Going to take lunch off during work and go pick it up :D

Gravijah said:
oh 5.0/10 sorry gotta pass on this game :/

...until i get done with yakuza 3
Don't make me kill yo--- oh.

CaptYamato said:
Is out tomorrow or ship tomorrow?
Tonight, yo. You can pick it up if your local GameStop is doing a midnight opening for Fallout: New Vegas. Otherwise, it comes out tomorrow, and your copy should already be en route to your doorstep as we speak.

Don't make me kill yo--- oh.

Tonight, yo. You can pick it up if your local GameStop is doing a midnight opening for Fallout: New Vegas. Otherwise, it comes out tomorrow, and your copy should already be en route to your doorstep as we speak.
Awesome. I'll be getting a copy from Gamestop and K-Mart.

One is mine and the other is for my friend.

duckroll

We're going to put up a review thread once the embargo lifts, so discussion about reviews and stuff should shift to that thread pretty quickly.

Pooya

http://gameinformer.com/games/vanquish/b/xbox360/archive/2010/10/19/review.aspx

* Concept:SHOOT BOOST SHOOT BOOST SHOOT BOOST. Smoke
* Graphics:Everything moves along at an impressive framerate considering how much crazy crap is constantly happening onscreen
* Sound:Spastic techno soundtrack and cartoonish voices. Prepare to hear Sam scream “Out of the way!” anytime you’re aiming within 20 miles of an ally
* Playability:The shooting mechanics and the suit abilities both work without a hitch
* Entertainment:It’s a blast at the beginning, starts to grow old not long after that, and then it’s over
* Replay:Moderately Low

dwebo

GI said:
The game is also very short. Don’t be surprised if you finish your first playthrough in four hours or less.

If Vanquish had been fleshed out with better characters, more variety, and a more substantial campaign, it could have been great. As is, the awesome suit amounts to little more than a fun toy in a forgettable world.
:(

It's pretty common knowledge Jim Sterling is terrible at video games and can't grasp the simplest of game systems, making him unqualified to review anything more complicated than tic-tac-toe.

Have to laugh at the double standard reviewers are applying between Bayonetta and Vanquish. Both can be played for score and have a relatively high skill cap, but since Vanquish is an FPS it has 'little replay value'.

dwebo

mjemirzian said:
Have to laugh at the double standard reviewers are applying between Bayonetta and Vanquish. Both can be played for score and have a relatively high skill cap, but since Vanquish is an FPS it has 'little replay value'.
Bayonetta has a ton of unlockables. I believe Vanquish has some challenge modes. And it's half the length. Jim Sterling and other reviewers may well be idiots, but this is a legitimate criticism.

hamchan

mjemirzian said:
It's pretty common knowledge Jim Sterling is terrible at video games and can't grasp the simplest of game systems, making him unqualified to review anything more complicated than tic-tac-toe.

You did not just bring Bayonetta up. That game has so much shit to unlock and do, Vanquish looks bad in comparison.

mjemirzian said:

Bayonetta is filled to the brim with content in a way that 95% of games can't even come close to. It was BUILT for replayability in every way possible.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Net_Wrecker said:
Bayonetta is filled to the brim with content in a way that 95% of games can't even come close to. It was BUILT for replayability in every way possible.

And so is Vanquish. I've only done the first act and I can already tell that I'm going to replay this game at least twice.

IrishNinja

And yet you give shit like Enslaved a 9/10... How the fuck do you still have a job?

been saying this for a while. even when they tried being funny with Deadly Premonition (a highlight for their reviews), it didn't go well. no offense to fans of the site/community, but dude's reviews are 90's Gamepro level. I mean, he's upset you cant slide into things and punch them when the game constantly surrounds you and tells you to play it smart any way you want that doesn't pretend it's fucking Hajime No Ippo in a suit.

this is like when that Joystiq reviewer couldn't follow a map in Nier, then the clown came on here to try to defend it, before leaving with the "i'm too busy reviewing games to indulge this" and mocked GAF on his next podcast. maybe game journalism wouldn't be a punchline if we'd at least stop indulging the blogs? I mean, i dig some of the Kotaku reviewers, but even when i disagree with them, it at least seems they've actually tried to play the game.

KTallguy

Banned
Vanquish seems like it's not for everyone... but I think people who love these kinds of mechanics will have a lot to love. The lack of multiplayer really hurts it, unfortunately.

I woke up early to get to Kmart when it opens for this deal.

Vanquish <3

edit: Vanquish get!

15wo32d.png

Turns out my local Kmart has a pretty good gaming section with all the big names and more than I expected. I was prepared to have to educate and correct the $30 off/$20 coupon but it all worked by itself. Vanquish and Uncharted 2 GOTY = $87!

Time to play.

Top Bottom