• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Vilix said:
The actual time it took to complete a game never mattered to me. Great games always went by way too fast. Bad or mediocre games seem to drag on forever.

I agree to an extent. Short games can be great, but this is a $60 title that isn't looking to be worth the price at all IMO, and this is coming from someone who's been hyped since it was announced. The game seems tailor made for tons of post game unlockables and content, and considering the man behind it, that made sense, but it has almost nothing to offer in that regard.

My pre-order is already locked in so now I'm faced with the dilemma of opening it because I'm reading comments like "OMG THIS IS AMAZING" or taking it back and buying it in a month when it'll inevitably be $30.

Monocle

From the GameFAQs thread (UPGRADE/FEATURE/BONUS CONTENT SPOILERS):

final boss (or so you think) that it gives you a minimal boost in your suit cool down. have not seen a new game + button/feature. so yeah.

you can kiss goodbye to playing through with the minimal cool down boost to the suit. i went back to the first stage and i had the same easily overheating suit.

no accessories as well. NOTHING. no shop no accessories no suit colors nothing NOTHING.

Are there any collectibles hidden item throughout the stages? (like max HP up pieces, etc)

yes there are collectible/hidden items. they are known as panglos statues., they make stupid kiddish noises when you melee/shoot them. they are gold and any contact makes them red.

they ahve NO EFFECT on you or your stats or your suit. they are just for an achievement.

My comments (again, GAMEPLAY SPOILERS):

What the fuck? This news is REALLY disappointing if true. You'd think a game like Vanquish would be positively crammed with upgrades and customization options. If there's really no new game +, I intend not to buy this game even at half price.

Amir0x said:
the bad taste thread is right here, Tain.
I knew what that thread was before I clicked the link. :lol

Dave1988

Monocle said:

final boss (or so you think) that it gives you a minimal boost in your suit cool down. have not seen a new game + button/feature. so yeah.

you can kiss goodbye to playing through with the minimal cool down boost to the suit. i went back to the first stage and i had the same easily overheating suit.

no accessories as well. NOTHING. no shop no accessories no suit colors nothing NOTHING.

Are there any collectibles hidden item throughout the stages? (like max HP up pieces, etc)

yes there are collectible/hidden items. they are known as panglos statues., they make stupid kiddish noises when you melee/shoot them. they are gold and any contact makes them red.

they ahve NO EFFECT on you or your stats or your suit. they are just for an achievement.

What the fuck? This news is REALLY disappointing if true. You'd think a game like Vanquish would be positively crammed with upgrades and customization options. If there's really no new game +, I intend not to buy this game even at half price.

Really? Fucking really? And this is supposed to be a Mikami game? Really disappointing :/

MNC

Erm... Is there any way you guys can reword without spoilering? :lol Like, what is so offputting? Very few upgrades or something?

MNC said:
Erm... Is there any way you guys can reword without spoilering? :lol Like, what is so offputting? Very few upgrades or something?

spoilers don't have any story related info in them. hell i don't even know why they're tagged. better safe then sorry i suppose.

I've completed the game and with a lot of replay value, I mean that there's the five Challenge maps to play which are very tough. As for the campaign, God Hard mode opens up once you complete the game, but I dont think you get new weapons or anything like that, it's all about trying to get a high score and Trophies.

NHale

DevelopmentArrested said:
when's the review embargo up? not sure if I should pick this up or not

According to Eurogamer the review embargo is Tuesday 4PM GMT/12PM ET/9AM PT.

Don't know if it's only for Europe but because it coincides with the North American launch date it's probably worldwide.

Finished it last night on Normal difficulty.

Five-and-a-half hours on the official in-game clock for me, but that clearly doesn't include cutscenes or any downtime between the actual shooting part of the missions. It seems to start the clock as soon as enemies appear by my reckoning, so including all the story stuff and collecting ammo/upgrades/walking around areas, you're looking at seven or eight hours. Most importantly, it feels like the right length for the kind of game it is. This isn't a Resi 4, all slow-slow-quick-quick-slow, this is pretty relentless throughout. Any longer and people would be complaining about padding and/or repetition (the latter may well come up as a criticism anyway, but that's only if you're not mixing up your play and I imagine on Hard and God Hard modes you really will need to change strategies on a fairly regular basis).

Anyway, game's brilliant, and I'm going to support Sega and Platinum by buying it, and not just because I played it on PS3 and think it might feel that bit more satisfying to have Sam's boost on the lovely bumpers of the 360 controller.

Never mind the width, feel the quality. This is a superb shooter that may well have spoiled all other third-person shooters from now on, simply because they'll feel so sluggish by comparison.

(For the record, this is a review copy, I'm not a pirate.)

Zomba13

Monocle said:

I knew what that thread was before I clicked the link. :lol
That stuff is kinda disappointing, especially after Bayonetta having a ton of extra stuff. I'm still going to get it though, I loved the demo so much and I can see myself trying to get 1000/1000 or platinum in this game.

Valcryst

Neo Member
4-5 hours of gameplay plus the UPGRADE/FEATURE/BONUS spoilers = preorder cancelled for me.
After a game like Bayonetta (not to mention Castlevania) that's very disappointing.

This whole game length attitude is really interesting and probably seperate thread worthy. I find it interesting that some people find value in a games length, not its quality or the experience it gives you. Personally I prefer shorter games these days because I don't have as much time as I'd to play them, and it means I can either a) move onto something new or b) play it again if I really loved it. 4-5 hours sounds perfect to me.

Each to their own! :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I can understand the way of thinking, even if I don't agree with it personally.

and I mean if you're not the type to replay games outside of the initial playthrough, this game probably wasn't for you from the start.

eso76

I finished Metal Gear Solid the same day i bought it.
import limited edition, which i paid an outrageous 170$ too

no regrets :p

boabw.jpg

As I live and breathe
You have killed me
You have killed me
Yes I walk around somehow
But you have killed me
You have killed me

And there is no point saying this again
There is no point saying this again
But I forgive you, I forgive you
Always I do forgive you

I'm not serious but still dissapointed, will buy when it hits bargain bin...

Dyno

It's actually going to be refreshing to not be dressing up my spaceman barbie or watching bars fill up. Just a game of pure speed and skill! It will be a nice counterpoint to New Vegas.

Beezy

KennyLinder said:
This whole game length attitude is really interesting and probably seperate thread worthy. I find it interesting that some people find value in a games length, not its quality or the experience it gives you. Personally I prefer shorter games these days because I don't have as much time as I'd to play them, and it means I can either a) move onto something new or b) play it again if I really loved it. 4-5 hours sounds perfect to me.

People don't wanna buy a short game for $60 because they can rent it for much less for a weekend, beat it, and send it back. I'm sure everyone still wants to play it, they're just not gonna waste their money on it.

Honestly, I would normally balk at paying this much for a short game. I just really LOVE the demo and getting a 20 buck gift card and the new Castlevania for 30 makes it an easy decision.

I had it pre-ordered through Amazon with no giftcard/Castlevania discount before learning of the Kmart deal. So obviously, I thought it was worth 60 from the start.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Defunkled said:
LULZ at the people canceling pre-orders because of game length. Your loss.

:lol Nope. I'll be renting the game to play it, then maybe picking it up later in November after it divebombs and goes on sale for $20-30.

No new game+? Weak :( I don't care about the game's length as long as it has new game+, but without that, my anticipation is somewhat weakened.

Curufinwe

Hero of Canton said:
Finished it last night on Normal difficulty.

Five-and-a-half hours on the official in-game clock for me, but that clearly doesn't include cutscenes or any downtime between the actual shooting part of the missions. It seems to start the clock as soon as enemies appear by my reckoning, so including all the story stuff and collecting ammo/upgrades/walking around areas, you're looking at seven or eight hours. Most importantly, it feels like the right length for the kind of game it is. This isn't a Resi 4, all slow-slow-quick-quick-slow, this is pretty relentless throughout. Any longer and people would be complaining about padding and/or repetition (the latter may well come up as a criticism anyway, but that's only if you're not mixing up your play and I imagine on Hard and God Hard modes you really will need to change strategies on a fairly regular basis).

Anyway, game's brilliant, and I'm going to support Sega and Platinum by buying it, and not just because I played it on PS3 and think it might feel that bit more satisfying to have Sam's boost on the lovely bumpers of the 360 controller.

Never mind the width, feel the quality. This is a superb shooter that may well have spoiled all other third-person shooters from now on, simply because they'll feel so sluggish by comparison.

(For the record, this is a review copy, I'm not a pirate.)

Nice write up. Thanks.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Defunkled said:

LULZ at people spending (since I don't like the word "wasting") 60 bucks for a game they can finish in an afternoon, which has no game plus and no upgrades.
I'll buy it when the price will drop at 20-30$...most likely in a couple of months :lol

Demirichris

Neo Member
Growing up in the arcades, most of my favorite games can be finished in under an hour. Does that make them any less awesome? Hell no.

Vanquish is one of those gems that we don't get very often as gamers. A game focused completely on gameplay and fun factor. I haven't been this excited to play a game in quite sometime. I do think it's strange and somewhat concerning that people put so much focus on game length. I can only assume that it must be a new/young trend, as most games used to only be a few hours tops and still, on most systems, cost about sixty bucks.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Defunkled said:

Not just game length. Bayonetta had a lot of replayability value. So far it seem Vanquish gives you no incentive to replay it, other than getting a better time.

Having said that it doesn't matter to me. I've been looking forward to this game for some time. Plus, according to Amir0x I have the worst gaming taste for liking Animal Crossing. So, it makes sense for me to pick it up at full price. :D

C Jones

I highly doubt that it will, especially if sales are low as anticipated, but did they say anything about DLC? Bayonetta didn't have any did it?

I pulled the trigger and used my Amazon game credit towards this. $40 seems like a good price for this game. Don't know when I'll get to it though as I'm still back logged. Hopefully next week.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Valcryst said:
LULZ at people spending (since I don't like the word "wasting") 60 bucks for a game they can finish in an afternoon, which has no game plus and no upgrades.
I'll buy it when the price will drop at 20-30$...most likely in a couple of months :lol

I think I read they'll be releasing DLC weapon packs in the future, as far as unlockables go. but don't quote me on that

and then there's the challenge missions, and finding those statues in new game plus, and higher difficulty levels.

I think there's a fair bit more content here then you're giving it credit for.(post implies there is no replay value outside of the initial playthrough)

and I don't know about you, but to me 6 hours is beyond the scope of one sitting. and if that's one sitting for you, does that make 8-10 hour games......two sittings? is that extra day really a 20 dollar difference? :lol

The End

Getting this for $50 with some preorder credit from gamestop with the extra weapon pack. While i'm slightly tempted to shift my preorder to Force Unleashed II or New Vegas, a highly polished 5 hour game leaves me more satisfied than a janky 10-hour game or an RPG that i'll never finish.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be surprised if ol' Shinji Mikami was asked to put in DLC this time. Why have someone play a little harder for something, or look for a secret code, when they can just pay for it? And that's why I hate DLC. There will be new weapons for sell as DLC in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if new suits followed.

Vilix said:
I wouldn't be surprised if ol' Kamiya was asked to put in DLC this time. Why have someone play a little harder for something, or look for a secret code, when they can just pay for it? And that's why I hate DLC. There will be new weapons for sell as DLC in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if new suits followed.
...Kamiya didn't work on Vanquish. It's a Shinji Mikami project.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Chopperman said:
I think I read they'll be releasing DLC weapon packs in the future, as far as unlockables go. but don't quote me on that

and then there's the challenge missions, and finding those statues in new game plus, and higher difficulty levels.

I think there's a fair bit more content here then you're giving it credit for.(post implies there is no replay value outside of the initial playthrough)

and I don't know about you, but to me 6 hours is beyond the scope of one sitting. and if that's one sitting for you, does that make 8-10 hour games......two sittings? is that extra day really a 20 dollar difference? :lol

A game that has no replay value it's not worth 60 of my $...at least 20-30 ;)
To me a 3-to-6 hours session is the speed-run of a longer game...
Don't get me wrong, it's cool to have a game based only on skills, but with my concept of action there should be at least a concrete reward (not DLCs)...and if I had to play it on higher difficulties, hell at least I want some upgrades.
As I said, I'm not really oriented in buying a game that I know I can finish in one day at full price, there are so many more interesting (at this point) titles coming out that a single-run Vanquish drops at the bottom of my wishlist.

Llyranor said:
How can he go Witch Time so often? Doesn't it drain your suit completely? Or can you turn it off prematurely, thus allowing it to recharge?

EDIT: I see he *does* shut it off early. How do you do that, exactly? I just had mine drain completely in the demo.

You just let go of the aiming button.

Llyranor said:
How can he go Witch Time so often? Doesn't it drain your suit completely? Or can you turn it off prematurely, thus allowing it to recharge?

EDIT: I see he *does* shut it off early. How do you do that, exactly? I just had mine drain completely in the demo.
Wat.

Go play through the tutorial. You can activate AR mode with Evade + Aim. You mean to tell me that you've been waiting to get wailed on to active AR mode? :lol

Let's get one thing clear and out of the way, if AR mode is activating because you're taking too much damage, then you are playing the game wrong.

Fimbulvetr said:
You just let go of the aiming button.
Or this. :lol

Avoid overheating through AR mode. The only way you'll want to enter overheating is through a melee, but even with that, you'll definitely want to use it as a finisher.

Llyranor

Oh, no no no, I can manually activate ARS. I just never... let go of the aiming button -_-

But melee always overheats you, right? (though you can ARS just after one last time)

renzo

Finished the game ( is not four hours long) i think there is an embargo on this, i´m not in the press anymore but dont want to get into trouble. :lol i´ll post a lot of impresions tomorrow

BTW if you love God Hand, this is the game for you.

robor

OH MAAAAAAAAN 2 DAYS, HOLY CRAP. SO. PUMPED. Shibata is involved, I look at this game and I see Shibata. SHIBATA ATTACKS IN 2 DAYS!!!!!!

NHale

KennyLinder said:

It's a very interesting topic IMO.

I remember when Limbo released this summer, everyone was complaining that 4-5 hours with no replay value wasn't worth the price of the game ($15), so I'm not surprised by the reaction on this thread when it costs 4x more.

Top Bottom