• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

renzo said:
BTW if you love God Hand, this is the game for you.
PSYCHED.gif

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

66awbkn.gif

mx0hu1.gif

Q681Z.png

Vanquish is a stylish, spectacular looking game with great gunplay and some stunning set pieces. Although the game's story and character development pale in comparison to the action, I had a great time with Vanquish from the in-game tutorial all the way to the ending credits. Even though Mikami's latest creation is difficult at times, players looking for a highly entertaining shooter should look no further. Vanquish will keep you on the edge of your multi-thruster booster seat.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1128417p1.html

Video Review (may contain spoilers)

http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/10/18/vanquish-video-review?objectid=14231560

renzo

Ok so review is up, i guess i can post this.

here are my toughts spoiler free

-The game is very good basically a 3D run an gun with fast, fast action
-The controller works great, game can be a little difficult but if you master the control (like God Hand) the game turns really fun, for example, you dash,shoot, activate AR Mode, kick an enemy, the kick triggers a backflip, activate AR Mode again during backflip and shoot, stuff like that, it looks pretty badass actually:D

-The difficulty relies more on multitasking, there are areas with 6 foot soldier enemies, 2 elite enemies, 2 giant robots with hand shaped like drill dildos and 4 snipers, all at the same time, and all after you. you need to keep focused on who goes first, your teammate A.I is good but not "that" good, somethimes they die and you have to revive them.

-The Scenarios are great, remember the rotating space Station in Axelay? (Stage 2) imagine all that in 3D, everything looks so amazing.

-Music is Awesome you can never go wrong with Masafumi Takada.

-Story works very fine, is not award winning, but at least is not just there as background for the action.

-There are God Hand References, like punching an enemy at ridiculously speeds. Also the game hardest diffuculty is called God Hard.

-The Power up System is very "arcade" and works fine.

I hope the game sales well, and Please Capcom Make God Hand 2. :(

That unknown Enemy is very easy, just stay away and once is exposed dash and kick him, there are some scorpion like robots, that are a pain in the ass, they killed me 11 times in one stage :(

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I see ya got that spoiler tag fixed quickly. Good job. ;) Possumsauce review btw.

todahawk

ya know, fuck this shit.
I just realized how many times I've played through both of the demos and that I haven't got sick or bored of them once.

DAY. 1.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
greenjerk said:
ya know, fuck this shit.
I just realized how many times I've played through both of the demos and that I haven't got sick or bored of them once.

DAY. 1.

Are both demos avaliable for US XBL users? I checked the other day, but only found one.

todahawk

Vilix said:
Are both demos avaliable for US XBL users? I checked the other day, but only found one.
No, PS3 here and I had to snag the second one with my JPN account. It's a staged attack mode. Same general area with waves of enemies. The vid linked above is from that demo.

Defunkled

Valcryst said:
LULZ at people spending (since I don't like the word "wasting") 60 bucks for a game they can finish in an afternoon, which has no game plus and no upgrades.
I'll buy it when the price will drop at 20-30$...most likely in a couple of months :lol

I have $60 worth in coupons at Kmart so I'll be getting it for free.

todahawk

Anyone getting it from gamestop for the tri gun pack?
I'm leaning towards K-Mart at this point. I'll pick up Vanquish and then LoS for $30 off and then pick up Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 with the $20 off coupon since it's dropping to $20 this week too.

rvy

Banned
PSYCHED.gif

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

66awbkn.gif

mx0hu1.gif

Still undecided, but I'm leaning towards the PS3 version. Can't fucking wait!

Vanquish is incredible fun but despite how exhausting the wall to wall action can be, the 5 hour SP campaign (Basically 1 hour each act, assuming there's not a hidden 6th act. Stopped at 5 for the night.) does dampen things a bit. It's fun to the point where I'm going to go through it again on a harder difficulty (Normal is quite easy so far) but I hope there's some added incentive to do so again beyond the "I need more" factor. Still, from what I've played, even if you don't feel it's worth buying due to the length you should still go out of your way to play and beat the game at some point because it's too much fun and too well executed.

One gripe, I have found it hard to deviate from just using the machinegun, shotgun and assault rife. Those 3 guns seem to be enough to take care of every kind of enemy in the game effectively, especially when leveled up. I've yet to find decent a use for the disc launcher as the shotgun is more effective against the giant mech guys which the disc works best against. The rocket launcher is out of ammo in 2 seconds(Perhaps I should have leveled it but I never really needed it often enough) while sniper is ok but both seem to be effective only to use during the sequences that require them. Then the lock-on laser, though awesome, seems to completely suck against non-fodder enemies and usually hits the ceiling indoors. Oh well.

Dever

Banned
The Disc Launcher was amazing in the demo. I loved cutting up enemies limb from limb and watching how that changed their behaviour. Cutting off an arm made them unable to fire rockets, cutting off a head would make them shoot in random directions, cutting off the legs would make them crawl after you... It's a weapon you use to weaken the bigger enemies and then you go in with the shotgun for example to finish them off.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong, it's cool to have a game based only on skills, but with my concept of action there should be at least a concrete reward (not DLCs)...and if I had to play it on higher difficulties, hell at least I want some upgrades.

Yeah that's not unreasonable.

Man one more day. Can't wait

FrankT

Space A Cobra said:
Vanquish is incredible fun but despite how exhausting the wall to wall action can be, the 5 hour SP campaign (Basically 1 hour each act, assuming there's not a hidden 6th act. Stopped at 5 for the night.) does dampen things a bit. It's fun to the point where I'm going to go through it again on a harder difficulty (Normal is quite easy so far) but I hope there's some added incentive to do so again beyond the "I need more" factor. Still, from what I've played, even if you don't feel it's worth buying due to the length you should still go out of your way to play and beat the game at some point because it's too much fun and too well executed.

One gripe, I have found it hard to deviate from just using the machinegun, shotgun and assault rife. Those 3 guns seem to be enough to take care of every kind of enemy in the game effectively, especially when leveled up. I've yet to find decent a use for the disc launcher as the shotgun is more effective against the giant mech guys which the disc works best against. The rocket launcher is out of ammo in 2 seconds(Perhaps I should have leveled it but I never really needed it often enough) while sniper is ok but both seem to be effective only to use during the sequences that require them. Then the lock-on laser, though awesome, seems to completely suck against non-fodder enemies and usually hits the ceiling indoors. Oh well.

I think with the 5 hour thing this makes it a little to easier skip now and pick up later. Solid review from IGN however.

Animator

According to the ign review you DO upgrade your weapons so i dunno why the morons who said there is no upgrade system whatsoever said so.

Animator said:
According to the ign review you DO upgrade your weapons so i dunno why the morons who said there is no upgrade system whatsoever said so.

They were referring to a promised suit upgrade.

Everyone who played the demo already knows about weapon upgrades.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Animator said:

You upgrade weapons in the demo as well, but I think he meant suit upgrades and new abilities.

Animator

Ah ok.

Honestly I have put over 3 hours in the demo alone, replayability is not a issue. When all is said and done I will get more hours out of this game than any other game I play this year with the exception of bad company.

renzo

x Maiku x said:
Is hard mode selectable from the beginning or does it need to be unlocked?

You can select it from the beginning

Only God Hard is unlocked after beating it

Apparently Gamefly failed on shipping my copy today. It was in my Q for a couple months now. Now I look and it shows low availability, modda fuckas!!

Top Bottom