• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Shurs

mjemirzian said:
It's pretty common knowledge Jim Sterling is terrible at video games and can't grasp the simplest of game systems, making him unqualified to review anything more complicated than tic-tac-toe.

Have to laugh at the double standard reviewers are applying between Bayonetta and Vanquish. Both can be played for score and have a relatively high skill cap, but since Vanquish is an FPS it has 'little replay value'.

Vanquish isn't an FPS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, that Destructoid review is scathing.

Honestly, it does make me question the game just a bit. I'm still interested, but I fear it will become overly repetitive and dull as a result. Bayonetta was anything BUT that as they were constantly throwing new, unique things at the player. If Vanquish offers everything to the player immediately and then presents the same scenarios over and over again until the end, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it.

I did really enjoy Godhand, though, and this seems to be a similar type of experience.

DaBuddaDa

KTallguy said:
The lack of multiplayer really hurts it, unfortunately.
This is true perhaps in the eyes of western reviewers, but personally I disagree.

Although you can't deny that Vanquish would be a blast multiplayer. People jumping around and knee-packing around the map, explosions everywhere, it'd be awesome. But yeah, the whole slowdown thing...kinda makes it impossible.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Multiplayer in Vanquish would be a clusterfuck.

What's the highest difficulty setting you can start with? I think the demo only had casual and normal, hoping hard is an option right away. I'm up for a beating.

Dyno

SapientWolf said:
Aaaaand thread title change. :lol

We've already had hype, backlash, meltdowns and bannings and the game isn't even out yet. If the full game is half as exciting as the thread then we're in for one wild ride.

Nice!

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Multiplayer in Vanquish would be a clusterfuck.

What's the highest difficulty setting you can start with? I think the demo only had casual and normal, hoping hard is an option right away. I'm up for a beating.

It is. Only God Hard has to be unlocked.

englishbob

Neo Member
Is there a PS3 install to HDD option for this? If so, is it the full game or just a mimum install.

I'm leaning towards the 360 version because I like the full copy to HDD option.

KTallguy

Banned
akachan ningen said:

In my eyes, it doesn't hurt the game, but most shooters ship with a mp component now so the expectations are set. I personally would get a lot out of the game's campaign, but there is an audience that simply wants to jump online nowadays, for better or for worse.

I agree that the core mechanics make it impossible, and I wouldn't change them personally, but from a sales perspective it is a tradeoff that can and likely will hurt them.

jonnybryce said:
I woke up early to get to Kmart when it opens for this deal.

Vanquish <3

edit: Vanquish get!

15wo32d.png

Turns out my local Kmart has a pretty good gaming section with all the big names and more than I expected. I was prepared to have to educate and correct the $30 off/$20 coupon but it all worked by itself. Vanquish and Uncharted 2 GOTY = $87!

Time to play.

Third Person Shooter bliss right here. Best of both worlds, with none of the chunky slow-motion control of Gears.

ummo

Banned
now that the game is available on both consoles, is the resolution the same as demo? i mean, the xbox 360 demo was in sub-hd, by the way, am playing the full version on 360 and the graphics looks pretty crappy

DaBuddaDa said:
This is true perhaps in the eyes of western reviewers, but personally I disagree.

Although you can't deny that Vanquish would be a blast multiplayer. People jumping around and knee-packing around the map, explosions everywhere, it'd be awesome. But yeah, the whole slowdown thing...kinda makes it impossible.

Someone didn't play Timeshift!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Slowdown in Killing Floor sort of shows that it isn't obnoxious so long as it doesn't last too long. I suppose you could place slowdown pick-ups around the map for people to pick up so that it isn't a constant thing.

How did they even handle that?

Grenades that slowed down time in the area they hit (there were grenades for each time power) - you never ran out of them but they did have a cool down time

I was very LTTP so I only got into like 3 matches and never more than 4 people at once but it was pretty fun. I bet it was a blast in its day

Curufinwe

george_us said:
Balls this game is fast

I wish they would of stuck cover on the A button though.

So you can't customize the controls?

It would be nice to be able to have Melee on [] and Cover on O since I started recently playing Uncharted 2 again.

eso76

HamPster PamPster said:
Grenades that slowed down time in the area they hit (there were grenades for each time power) - you never ran out of them but they did have a cool down time

So slowing down people around you (and not you i would guess) ? Not exactly how 'bullet time works in Vanquish, though, plus even in a 4 vs 4 match that would translate in you moving in slow mo 80% of the time and would be a MAJOR annoyance.

Think you're minding your business chasing someone and all of a sudden you just start moving in slow mo. because someone near you triggered bullet time.
Think of this happening all the damn time.
How long before people quit the game, never to come back online ?
how many seconds, i mean.

For Vanquish to work in multiplayer they should change the core mechanics completely and make it...like Gears of War. Pointless, really.

Minamu

duckroll said:
We're going to put up a review thread once the embargo lifts, so discussion about reviews and stuff should shift to that thread pretty quickly.
You forgot, or else... at the end :D

castlevania & 3d dot heroes gs trade-in = $13 vanquish! = i guess it was just meant to be...

previous 3rd person shooter experience = uncharted 1&2. period. this could be a rough ride :) ...

Curufinwe

9/10 from Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-18-vanquish-review

Vanquish is a trailblazer. It is a game of astounding creativity and polish, exhilarating on the ground in the moment-to-moment thrills of high-speed-to-slow-motion combat, as well as in its wider, twisting trajectory. Doubtless the best third-person shooter ever to come out of Japan, Vanquish builds on Western developers' triumphs to push the genre in new, interesting directions, shifting the balance of power, and cementing Shinji Mikami's position as one of the best directors working in videogames today.

After reading the last few pages I was this close to cancelling my preorder but the EG review has me pumped.
The only thing that keeps disappointing me is the low replayability every review has mentionned so far... well, I got this and black ops for 70€, I'm not gonna complain.

edit: OT but eurogamer also has an article about homefront where the dev admits the SP game will be 6-10 hours and discusses it.

Curufinwe

I still need to try the 360 demo to decide which controller I like better for Vanquish. I want to finish Bayonetta and get my Uncharted 2 platinum before I buy Vanquish, anyway.

Jex

And to reflect a different opinion, Arthur Gies tweeted :

"since the embargo is up, i don't have much good to say about vanquish. it's repetitive, clunky, and irritatingly punitive. very japanese."

rvy

Banned
Jexhius said:

"since the embargo is up, i don't have much good to say about vanquish. it's repetitive, clunky, and irritatingly punitive. very japanese."
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

My final time ended up being 4h45m on normal. Was a great ride and left me wanting more in both a good and a bad way. I was a bit disappointed by the last boss; not so much the encounter but just what it was. Was hoping for something a little more interesting but at least the battle itself was cool. Doing it again on hard and enjoying it just as much as my first playthrough. I'd almost say hard should be the default difficulty but unfortunately passing hard only leaves you with God Hard which is, God Hard(No upgrades. Super fast overheat. Forever suit recharge. You stay in max damage mode foooorever). I can't even imagine dealing with the final boss on this difficulty right now.

I also must point out how awesome the Crystal Viper enemy is. They managed to combine Crystal Boy, the T-1000 and the standard Terminator endoskeleton into one character. A little too easy though but hopefully hard mode changes that.

Shame this game has jack shit for unlockables. At least the challenge stages are incredibly fun. Maybe some psycho can beat God Hard and tell us if it yields any rewards(Beyond self satisfaction).

C Jones

Jexhius said:

Haha, thanks for posting that. Good to see an opinion from a GAF favorite like Arthur.

Prine

Banned
Well that Eurogamer review changes things, i just canceled my pre-order.

Im going to wait and see. If it weren't for Fable 3, id be buying this.

DaBuddaDa

Jexhius said:

Clunky? He considers Vanquish CLUNKY? Compared to what, Gears of War? You've got to be fucking kidding me. He must live on a completely different planet than we do.

Jexhius said:

you know aegies uses the "this game is SO japanese" line so frequently one could call him a goddamn xenophobe. its obvious that he feels calling a game "japanese" is short-hand for "things i don't have to list but trust me it sucks because its not red faction guerrilla".

goddamnit.

zoukka

IrishNinja said:
been saying this for a while. even when they tried being funny with Deadly Premonition (a highlight for their reviews), it didn't go well. no offense to fans of the site/community, but dude's reviews are 90's Gamepro level. I mean, he's upset you cant slide into things and punch them when the game constantly surrounds you and tells you to play it smart any way you want that doesn't pretend it's fucking Hajime No Ippo in a suit.
[/I]

Well that was my #1 complaint about the demo. It's like they give you a flash of something too awesome and take it away right before you can grab it :(

Jex

C Jones said:
Haha, thanks for posting that. Good to see an opinion from a GAF favorite like Arthur.
Just reflecting the diversity of opinion and all that. Here's an update from Arthur :

"basically, if you don't have a boner for the main character and the game's style, i don't think you'll get into vanquish."

Well, I guess I'm here for the mechanics.

Top Bottom