• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Curufinwe

DaBuddaDa said:
Clunky? He considers Vanquish CLUNKY? Compared to what, Gears of War? You've got to be fucking kidding me. He must live on a completely different planet than we do.

Just wait till the next Rebel FM podcast where he will insinuate that every reviewer who liked Vanquish doesn't know what they are talking about. It's a shame he was ever able to weasel his way into videogame journalism by desperately clinging to Anthony Gallegos' coattails.

zoukka said:
Well that was my #1 complaint about the demo. It's like they give you a flash of something too awesome and take it away right before you can grab it :(
This game is first and foremost a third-person shooter. It isn't a brawler.

Jexhius said:
And to reflect a different opinion, Arthur Gies tweeted :

"since the embargo is up, i don't have much good to say about vanquish. it's repetitive, clunky, and irritatingly punitive. very japanese."
Dude's a xenophobic hack.

C Jones

Space A Cobra said:
My final time ended up being 4h45m on normal. Was a great ride and left me wanting more in both a good and a bad way. I was a bit disappointed by the last boss; not so much the encounter but just what it was. Was hoping for something a little more interesting but at least the battle itself was cool. Doing it again on hard and enjoying it just as much as my first playthrough. I'd almost say hard should be the default difficulty but unfortunately passing hard only leaves you with God Hard which is, God Hard(No upgrades. Super fast overheat. Forever suit recharge. You stay in max damage mode foooorever). I can't even imagine dealing with the final boss on this difficulty right now.

I also must point out how awesome the Crystal Viper enemy is. They managed to combine Crystal Boy, the T-1000 and the standard Terminator endoskeleton into one character. A little too easy though but hopefully hard mode changes that.

Shame this game has jack shit for unlockables. At least the challenge stages are incredibly fun. Maybe some psycho can beat God Hard and tell us if it yields any rewards(Beyond self satisfaction).
Thanks for the impressions, especially the info about God Hard. So amped to play through that mode.

Can't wait for the inevitable nico-nico vids of God Hard speed runs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

"since the embargo is up, i don't have much good to say about vanquish. it's repetitive, clunky, and irritatingly punitive. very japanese."

BECAUSE GAMES FROM JAPAN ARE BAD! FOREIGN GAMES AAAAAAH!!!!

(why is "Japanese" being used as a derogatory descriptor for games these days? Didn't these guys grow up playing mostly Japanese games??)

DaBuddaDa

If you asked him "what specifically do you mean when you say it's 'very japanese,'" he wouldn't be able to tell you anything specific at all other than it was "made by japanese people." The mere fact that it is an action TPS makes it not very japanese, as japan doesn't make very many games like this.

DaBuddaDa

Scythesurge said:
Too bad he wasn't the one on IGN reviewing it, he would have given it a 3.0! :p
Eh, a below-average review on IGN would be a 7.5.

FlyinJ said:
Have there been any side-by-side comparisons? Which is the better SKU to get?
From demo impressions, the two versions are completely identical. Buy based on controller preference.

FlyinJ said:
Have there been any side-by-side comparisons? Which is the better SKU to get?
PS3. Lead platform. Better sound. Has better visuals, although it's EXTREMELY minor side by side. Some tearing on the X360 version. (I didn't notice it.) No tearing on the PS3 version. This is all from the demo comparison, which was representative of the final game. (The game has been completed for a lot longer than you think.)

george_us said:
The game automatically going into ARS mode whenever you get hit hard is annoying as shit.
Suck less.

eso76

Jexhius said:

"since the embargo is up, i don't have much good to say about vanquish.
very japanese."

good, i don't have much good to say about Gies either.

Forbiden

Went this morning to get my copy at Kmart. I got to the shelf and noticed they didn't have it up, so I was a little bummed, but the guy working there came up to me and when I asked, he pulled it out of a box, and told me he only had to copies o.o

Anyways, the whole $30 off/$20 coupon was really smooth as someone mentioned before in this thread. I thought I was going to have to tell the guy about it but my total came up to $97 and the coupon printed out with the receipt. Now it's time to give this puppy a spin

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Japanese games don't deserve an 8. Because they're made by strange people from another country that I don't quite understand. Their culture is weird and strange and scares me.

Btw, I fucking love the Eurogamer review:

It's entirely in keeping with Platinum Games' devil-may-care attitude. For years, we've written off Japanese studios when it comes to first- and third-person shooters: always playing catch-up to their American counterparts, never quite delivering. But Shinji Mikami was never going to meekly push his team's debut shooter centre stage with a deferential bow and an apologetic glance, pleading: "Might this be good enough, Yankee-Doodle-sensei?" It's just not the Platinum way.

:lol

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
CaptYamato said:
There aren't many games that deserve over a 8 also.

which brings us neatly back to VANQUISH

OH MY GOD THIS GAME

The Castlevania - Enslaved - Vanquish combo has reminded me there is good in the world. Also colours, flashing lights.

D2M15 said:
which brings us neatly back to VANQUISH

OH MY GOD THIS GAME

The Castlevania - Enslaved - Vanquish combo has reminded me there is good in the world. Also colours, flashing lights.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I want to play but fucking school. It's on my table, looking right at me!

Prine said:
Well that Eurogamer review changes things, i just canceled my pre-order.

Im going to wait and see. If it weren't for Fable 3, id be buying this.

02042009_huh2.jpg

Curufinwe

I think this section from Kevin VanOrd's Gamespot review says a lot.

Vanquish's original mechanics wouldn't have the same impact if the game didn't also deliver the basics, but the essential gameplay elements are as good as you could hope for. For example, the cover system has exactly the right degree of stickiness, which is an important factor in ensuring that you always feel completely in command. In fact, considering the amount of chaos surrounding you and the speed with which you rocket ahead, it's a wonder that you rarely feel out of control

Regardless of which platform you prefer, the controls are tight and responsive, and the asymmetrical levels practically guarantee that you never feel lost.As a result, even the most challenging sequences never feel unfair, because you are always in control of your own destiny. The factors that contribute to Vanquish's substantial level of difficulty are perfectly tuned. The bosses are tough but don't possess absurdly inflated life bars, so the fights last just the right amount of time.

The artificial intelligence is surprisingly solid for a game that throws so many enemies at you at once; your foes stay on the move, use cover in smart ways, and aren't afraid to run up and cuff you if you come in too close. They are also aware of the friendlies that join you on the battlefield and react accordingly, which makes you feel like an important part of a vast offensive, rather than a one-man army with a target tattooed on your forehead.

hamchan said:
Vanquish 2 with lots content = 10/10

Wheeee
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Also, Sam is a fucking champ. He doesn't leave anyone behind. I love that. Meanwhile, Burns is a fucking ASSHOLE.

rvy

Banned
Takes five minutes. Go take a piss or make a sandwich, or something. :lol
It's not the time wasted as much as it is the idea of being forced into doing something. Whatever though, I'll probably end up getting it for PS3.

HYPE GET!!! Eurogamer gets it.

NonexistentK said:
Just because i prefer 360 controller over ds3 i ordered the 360 version. I hope the difference in performance is not that noticeable.
It is pretty much Nonexistent, K?

rvy said:
It's not the time wasted as much as it is the idea of being forced into doing something. Whatever though, I'll probably end up getting it for PS3.

HYPE GET!!! Eurogamer gets it.
You must hate PC gaming.

Princess Skittles said:
I love Bayonetta and Platinum and crazy score attack style games but am not a big FP/TP shooter fan (though I don't hate them either).. which is the greater pull here?
This game is fucking incredible and feels nothing like other shooters. There's your pull.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I love Bayonetta and Platinum and crazy score attack style games but am not a big FP/TP shooter fan (though I don't hate them either).. which is the greater pull here?

Princess Skittles said:

There's a demo, you should try it.

That said, I think you'll like it, it's a TPS at it's core but the mechanics are more refined that your standard shooter, I think the description God Hand + GoW suit it's pretty good.

And this is I can say just playing the demo.

Princess Skittles said:
I'd say that it's first and foremost a shooter but has the Platinum touch (i.e. there's slowdown, boosting, scoring and stuff). There's a demo on both systems that's worth checking out and probably covers most of the game's mechanics really well.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Got my copy

Reading thread and posting to pass time while it installs.

Excited!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Relaxed Muscle said:
There's a demo, you should try it.

That said, I think you'll like it, it's a TPS at it's core but the mechanics are more refined that your standard shooter, I think the description God Hand + GoW suit it's pretty good.

And this is I can say just playing the demo.
Scythesurge said:
I'd say that it's first and foremost a shooter but has the Platinum touch (i.e. there's slowdown, boosting, scoring and stuff). There's a demo on both systems that's worth checking out and probably covers most of the game's mechanics really well.
I did try the demo.. and I still wasn't sure what to think. :lol

I will play it again though!

.la1n

I'd wager I'm about halfway through the game before I had to leave for work. I bit the bullet of course based simply on how many hours I sank into the DEMO for god sake. It really is one of the best games I have played in the past few months along with Castlevania.

The insane amount of combos you can perform once you get a handle on the controls is nothing short of amazing.

Top Bottom