• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Went to rent this today. Was browsing the PS3 section. Worker comes over.

Him: You looking for Fallout?
Me: Actually I'm looking for Vanquish.
Him: Oh man... did you see that IGN only gave it an 8.5?

=(

brandonh83 said:

=(
Pfffft 9.0 or bust dude, only quality stuff is worth my time.

brandonh83 said:

=(
I think I was the only person who picked it up last night. :lol

People prefer experiences over games, I think. Doesn't help that a majority of titles this generation are experiences.

I love the first-person view segments. Very neat stuff.

zoukka

Relaxed Muscle said:
There's a demo, you should try it.

That said, I think you'll like it, it's a TPS at it's core but the mechanics are more refined that your standard shooter, I think the description God Hand + GoW suit it's pretty good.

And this is I can say just playing the demo.

I failed to see the God Hand in this game. Unless you mean QTE finishers on the boss and a measily one-hit melee attack.

Beezy

Went to Kmart. They didn't have it yet. They didn't have Fallout New Vegas either. Yet they had that fucking EA MMA game and DJ Hero 2! Fucking Kmart...

I'll go back there later tonight and ask again.

brandonh83 said:

=(
wat :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
brandonh83 said:

=(

What's wrong with the world today.

brandonh83 said:

=(
Man, working at blockbuster with idiots like that, is something I don't miss.

DaBuddaDa said:
This is true perhaps in the eyes of western reviewers, but personally I disagree.

Although you can't deny that Vanquish would be a blast multiplayer. People jumping around and knee-packing around the map, explosions everywhere, it'd be awesome. But yeah, the whole slowdown thing...kinda makes it impossible.

I don't have a problem with the lack of multiplayer; however, lack of multiplayer and lack of replay value are not synonymous terms. From all the reviews I've seen so far, the game has serious issues with replayability.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Question that will determine whether I buy this today or wait for a price drop:

Do character upgrades/weapons carryover through different difficulties like in Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Lords of Shadow, etc...?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmm... I want to get it but maybe I'll wait for a sale.

brandonh83 said:

=(

Sucks. Good thing our local stores don't make remarks like those, they just want you to buy the game no matter what.

randomwab

brandonh83 said:

=(

8.5? Why so low?

bone_and_sinew said:
Question that will determine whether I buy this today or wait for a price drop:

Do character upgrades/weapons carryover through different difficulties like in Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Lords of Shadow, etc...?

Nope. If you start a new game it resets your upgrades. God Hard doesn't even allow you to upgrade at all.

Shadow780

brandonh83 said:

=(

You: Who still goes to IGN?! *laugh hysterically and leave*

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Started playing. Less cut scenes, more action, please!

brandonh83 said:

=(

Only an 8.5? :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Ok guys scrap every bit of pessimism i've expressed at game length

This game is going to have a sick amount of replay value. On Hard this game feels like some fucking barbarian ballet, sweeping and swooping rocket sliding about to the rhythm of the battle in a beautiful symphony of bullets. The flow of this game is just incredible. Never has the simple details of combat been so fun in a third person shooter.

This is the ultimate high octane arcade game for modern consoles. If this was in an arcade, I would have sat glazed eyed in front of the cabinet for days on end, drool slipping out the side of my mouth like a lobotomy patient. With the score system in place, it's just amazingly satisfying... the replay value comes not from the different scenarios in battle, but from the different ways you take down those same scenarios. I cannot fucking waaaaaaaait to see what the leaderboards look like for this game.

Any asstard who says this game only has 4 hours of value needs to stop reviewing games. This is actually a lot more like Mirror's Edge in terms of structure then let on: the goal isn't to merely get through the campaign, it's to fucking master every moment until you're the damn most brilliant, lightning quick combat dancer known to mankind. You'll be replaying this shit over and over if you know what's good for you.

Adam J.

My Kmart didn't have it in stock either... Fuck that store. They can shove their deals for games they refuse to stock day 1 up their blue-light special.

As a TPS this shits on all others. The enemies are ruthless and more than that are fun to fight, while not being cheap. I thought Japan was dead as far as developers go, but along comes this gem.

Other TPS are going to have to really bring it to top the feeling of this game.

FrankT

brandonh83 said:

=(

:lol A new world indeed.

Anyhow, got my OXM just now and 9.0.

Fuck studying! Fuck it! The install finished. It's Vanquish time.

Adam J. said:
My Kmart didn't have it in stock either... Fuck that store. They can shove their deals for games they refuse to stock day 1 up their blue-light special.

As in sold out or not carried? You gotta risk it all and go when they open. I was there at 8 on the dot and they had plenty. I'm sure they're all gone now.

Shadow780 said:
You: Who still goes to IGN?! *laugh hysterically and leave*

I could have played one of my six or seven douche cards but I try to save those for situations that are worth it. I almost said "did you see the 8.0 that IGN UK gave Fallout?" buuuut I wasn't totally sure if my memory was serving me correctly.

Ah well, I still found it amusing and wanted to share. It's all good though, I got to rent it for free.

i got to 1-7 last night, i'm playing on hard and not using the checkpoint system

if i die, restart mission

this game is the shit! gameplay is so very sound, and the music is better then i thought it'd be

Forbiden

jonnybryce said:
Fuck studying! Fuck it! The install finished. It's Vanquish time.

As in sold out or not carried? You gotta risk it all and go when they open. I was there at 8 on the dot and they had plenty. I'm sure they're all gone now.

I went there pretty early too, not 8 on the dot but probably 10 past 8AM, and the guy only had 2 copies.

Beezy

Adam J. said:
I thought about going to gamestop and getting it at full price, but I really want that $20 coupon it comes with at Kmart. :(

Adam J. said:
Release date delivery thanks amazon, and I don't have to stand around with basement dwelling mouth breathers to ruin my rep bro.

Just got back from lunch with my very own copy!
Cant wait till after work!

Did anyone pick up the Strategy guide?

They did't have it at the store I went to :(

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Apparently you can unlock God Hard by rotating the right stick twenty times on the title screen. Can someone test that?

LOL

EDIT: I'd like to know if the guns you can get with a pre-order at gamestop are unlockable if you beat the game

Top Bottom