• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Leckan

Amir0x said:
Any asstard who says this game only has 4 hours of value needs to stop reviewing games. This is actually a lot more like Mirror's Edge in terms of structure then let on: the goal isn't to merely get through the campaign, it's to fucking master every moment until you're the damn most brilliant, lightning quick combat dancer known to mankind. You'll be replaying this shit over and over if you know what's good for you.

Bolded is pretty much what God Hand is all about as well. But yeah, it's designed as a arcade game, you're not supposed to just plow through it and then ask yourself "now what"?

Also, Mikami is the best damn game designer in the World, in the WORLD.

Spruchy

The automatic matrix slow down when life is low is kind of annoying on hard when its activated after getting hit once or twice.

Spruchy said:
The automatic matrix slow down when life is low is kind of annoying on hard when its activated after getting hit once or twice.
Suck less.

If there is a sequel (PLEASE?), I don't want multiplayer. I know PG has a game with multiplayer planned, but I really hope it isn't for Vanquish 2. Just load that baby with content! :D

Spruchy

Suck less? I haven't died once, don't be mad that a game you love has faults. And to the rather die proposition, it saves you yeah, but it lasts far too long in most situations which could be fixed by allowing the player to end it early by hitting LT + A. Also the melee system in this game is kind of ass by putting it on the same cooldown as jets and slowdown. Should have made it it's own separate cooldown to prevent abuse of it while maintaining it as a move to use in a pinch. But let me guess that would never work right?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God dammit, the store I preordered from didn't get their copies in yet. T_T

I guess I just have to wait ~~

(come on Costume Quest, only you can save me now)

Corto

Amir0x said:
Ok guys scrap every bit of pessimism i've expressed at game length

This game is going to have a sick amount of replay value. On Hard this game feels like some fucking barbarian ballet, sweeping and swooping rocket sliding about to the rhythm of the battle in a beautiful symphony of bullets. The flow of this game is just incredible. Never has the simple details of combat been so fun in a third person shooter.

This is the ultimate high octane arcade game for modern consoles. If this was in an arcade, I would have sat glazed eyed in front of the cabinet for days on end, drool slipping out the side of my mouth like a lobotomy patient. With the score system in place, it's just amazingly satisfying... the replay value comes not from the different scenarios in battle, but from the different ways you take down those same scenarios. I cannot fucking waaaaaaaait to see what the leaderboards look like for this game.

Any asstard who says this game only has 4 hours of value needs to stop reviewing games. This is actually a lot more like Mirror's Edge in terms of structure then let on: the goal isn't to merely get through the campaign, it's to fucking master every moment until you're the damn most brilliant, lightning quick combat dancer known to mankind. You'll be replaying this shit over and over if you know what's good for you.

Respect +1

...and that borderline xenophobic comment from Gies is just disgusting.

D2M15 said:
Also he's out of PG like a beautiful missile shot out of a space station made of diamonds.

IN MIKAMI WE TRUST.
Nah. He's still a contractor for PlatinumGames. Just because he has his own studio (Tango) doesn't mean he won't work with them. Hell, Vanquish is a collaboration between Straight Story (his previous team) and PG.

Spruchy said:
Suck less? I haven't died once, don't be mad that a game you love has faults. And to the rather die proposition, it saves you yeah, but it lasts far too long in most situations which could be fixed by allowing the player to end it early by hitting LT + A. Also the melee system in this game is kind of ass by putting it on the same cooldown as jets and slowdown. Should have made it it's own separate cooldown to prevent abuse of it while maintaining it as a move to use in a pinch. But let me guess that would never work right?

Isn't there a flip kick you can use in a pinch that doesn't use all of your boost bar, like the boost + drop kick?

Suck less.

If there is a sequel (PLEASE?), I don't want multiplayer. I know PG has a game with multiplayer planned, but I really hope it isn't for Vanquish 2. Just load that baby with content! :D
I hope console gaming embraces strictly multiplayer games soon. instead of getting tacked on single player to what would have been a great multiplayer game or multiplayer slammed on to a singleplayer game taking away development time from it.
CaptYamato said:
...I think reading that post was my Fuck yeah moment of the day.
I'm not a big game music fan but I'd say it's pretty bad ass an OSt should be floating around somewhere.

FlashbladeGAF said:
Isn't there a flip kick you can use in a pinch that doesn't use all of your boost bar, like the boost + drop kick?
The Heavy Machine Gun's melee won't overheat if you don't use it on an enemy. It's nice if you want to fly above cover without actually going over it.

It depends on your tastes. This game is all about the gameplay, and Enslaved is all about the experience. You can try demos of this and Enslaved, so I'd try those. Personally, I'd go with Vanquish, but you might be the kind of person who would like Enslaved. I don't know.

I can't weigh in on Naruto.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
pelicansurf said:
So, should I get this, Enslaved, or Naruto Shippuden 2? I need to know NOW, so I can go to purchase one asap.

I can't speak for Naruto, but after playing both demos for Vanquish and Enslaved, the choice was clear. Vanquish by a mile.

pelicansurf said:
So, should I get this, Enslaved, or Naruto Shippuden 2? I need to know NOW, so I can go to purchase one asap.
The Enslaved demo doesn't do the game justice. I'd wait for enslaved to drop in price while I loved it it doesn't IMO have a 60 dollar price tag polish on it and it really kind of skimps of a gratifiying feed back. Vanquish on the other hand makes you feel like a bad ass even when you die.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
It depends on your tastes. This game is all about the gameplay, and Enslaved is all about the experience. You can try demos of this and Enslaved, so I'd try those. Personally, I'd go with Vanquish, but you might be the kind of person who would like Enslaved. I don't know.

I can't weigh in on Naruto.

shit...

...forgot about Naruto
(heads back to the store)

The Heavy Machine Gun's melee won't overheat if you don't use it on an enemy. It's nice if you want to fly above cover without actually going over it.

I dl'ed the second demo a while back and loved how the melee attack changed with the saw weapon, yet I never experimented with the other weapons/melee. The little things like this and the ability to shoot your own grenades in ARS mode just adds to the depth this game has to offer.

Cant wait to play tonight!

Beezy

pelicansurf said:
You can cross off Enslaved. That leaves Vanquish and Naruto.

Just remembered, my Kmart didn't have Naruto either. smh

pelicansurf said:

Enslaved is an adventure game above all else, Vanquish is a hectic action shooter. It's as simple as what you're in the mood for.

You could always do both at Kmart with their deal.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Thanks, guys. I just like games; the experience, the arcade feeling, fighters, everything, thus my question. I'm going to put Enslaved on hold and now I'm going to pick up Vanquish. Holler.

What's the kmart deal?

pelicansurf said:
Do you want to play a game? If so, get Vanquish. If you like Naruto, get in Vanquish. Do you want to play a giant shitfest of an experience, that holds your hand like you are a retarded child? If you no, get Vanquish.

CaptYamato said:
Do you want to play a game? If so, get Vanquish. If you like Naruto, get in Vanquish. Do you want to play a giant shitfest of an experience, that holds your hand like you are a retarded child? If you no, get Vanquish.

bhytre

Why are there so many posts about God Hand, even in the thread title? Game has almost nothing in common with Vanquish except the pummeling, which was also in Bayonetta. Hell, Bayonetta gets at least a nod with a funny easter egg in Vanquish.

The robots charging huge beams, the soundtrack and level design (training room and last act) are way more reminiscent of P.N.03

Oh my god!

Bia!

SO AWESOME~!

bhytre said:
Why are there so many posts about God Hand, even in the thread title? Game has almost nothing in common with Vanquish except the pummeling, which was also in Bayonetta. Hell, Bayonetta gets at least a nod with a funny easter egg in Vanquish.

The robots charging huge beams, the soundtrack and level design (training room and last act) are way more reminiscent of P.N.03
This game feels like a combination of P.N.03 and God Hand. For me it does, anyway.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
CaptYamato said:
Do you want to play a giant shitfest of an experience, that holds your hand like you are a retarded child?

Can we leave shitting up the thread with passive-aggressive tirades to the moderators?

I think I've now spent more than 4 hours just rotating the front end. It's even more magical than it was in the demo.

dwebo

They were too lazy to put a little movie or even music for the XMB splash screen. :(

Also doesn't need a firmware update (at least from 3.41), and the install size is 2.8gb.

pelicansurf said:

I bet Costume Quest has a robot, monkey and a ninja costume. In fact with with a three party team you could be all three! Also wheelie shoes lets you slide around the map

Just saying, I mean why have a snack like those three games when you could have a meal

andymcc

Banned
fucking awesome. non-stop goddamned action. i feel like i'm not doing as well as i could, i think i'm going to take an epic nap and come back to it. :lol

the mechanics have so much depth, it's a shame that reviewers are kind of lukewarm to the game. it's leaps and bounds better than almost any other action game i've played this year. (aside from bayonetta, that is)

Amir0x said:
yup

this is my second favorite game of the year so far. i really was getting down on it before release, fucking FLOORING me

amazing bravo Mikami BRAV-FUCKING-O

What's your first favourite? Just out of interest.

Sucks being in the UK right now, my copy better be here on Thursday. Lack of unlockables is a shame but I have a feeling the main game will be replayable enough.

Top Bottom