• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Beezy said:
That's only because you refuse to play Bayonetta.

wait what...

Bayonetta is a must
unless your easily offended by females secure in their sexuality
X100

EDIT: I was pretty sure Amir0x was in the Bayo thread giving impressions

anytime i see a review point out that a game is hard, i get nervous. mainly because i consider myself to be below average at handling hard games, so if the REVIEWERS think it's difficult, then it's going to be VERY for me.

i played the demo and died at the robot boss man. (a little bit after he transformed) not sure how that section of the game compares to the rest, but im worried about wasting $60 on a 6 hour controller-throw-fest. gamefly?

Amir0x

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
anytime i see a review point out that a game is hard, i get nervous. mainly because i consider myself to be below average at handling hard games, so if the REVIEWERS think it's difficult, then it's going to be VERY for me.

i played the demo and died at the robot boss man. (a little bit after he transformed) not sure how that section of the game compares to the rest, but im worried about wasting $60 on a 6 hour controller-throw-fest. gamefly?

just set it to pussy difficulty

it says easy but trust me, it's for pussies

Beezy said:
I think I confused you with someone else.

I liked Bayonetta's combat system - was completely amazing - but was extremely off put by the rest of the package. Hated the art direction, hated the story, hated the absurd over sexualized Bayonetta herself. That was too much nerd tweaking for my tastes. I don't get a woody from polygons so it just basically turned me off.

Net_Wrecker said:
Bayonetta is filled to the brim with content in a way that 95% of games can't even come close to. It was BUILT for replayability in every way possible.
Not having a lot of shiny unlockables doesn't invalidate Vanquish being replayable for score. This is like claiming a CAVE shoot em up has 'low replay value' because you don't unlock ton of extras. Completely silly logic.

FlashbladeGAF said:
wait what...

Bayonetta is a must
X100
1. that's a stupid statment because she is not real!
2. There are some tech issues and some of the gameplay gets kind of boring it's still a good game but not great.

Bayonetta is a tough pill to swallow. I love it personally but apart from the gameplay and soundtrack I can see how it would turn some people away. :lol

I know the counter argument is "but it's a game so the gameplay is all that matters" and I agree which is why I love the game, so lower your weapons. But it is easy to understand why the story, characters, dialogue, and overall stupidity of everything can put a bad taste in someone's mouth.

That shit was hard for even me to take. I let it slide because the gameplay and bosses are just too damned awesome, but still.

Corto

FlashbladeGAF said:
wait what...

Bayonetta is a must
X100

EDIT: I was pretty sure Amir0x was in the Bayo thread giving impressions

Or by their caricature.

Bayonetta is fuck awesome. I like it and Vanquish about the same, I think.

Other than Red Dead Redemption and Sin and Punishment 2, Bayonetta and Vanquish are the only games I find worthy of GOTY.

brandonh83 said:
Bayonetta is a tough pill to swallow. I love it personally but apart from the gameplay and soundtrack I can see how it would turn some people away. :lol

I know the counter argument is "but it's a game so the gameplay is all that matters" and I agree which is why I love the game, so lower your weapons. But it is easy to understand why the story, characters, dialogue, and overall stupidity of everything can put a bad taste in someone's mouth.

That shit was hard for even me to take. I let it slide because the gameplay and bosses are just too damned awesome, but still.
Video games are a visual medium if that part is lacking to you in a game I can see how it would be off putting. Heirarchy of games:
1.Gameplay
2.graphics/ art direction
3.story.

ezekial45

Banned
Has anyone heard or at least tried God Hard? I want to know what makes it so hard. Like what the conditions are.

As for Bayonetta, I think the game is absolutely brilliant. Amazing combat, batshit story and characters (which I loved), and just insane amounts of replay value.

As for all this talk about the sexuality in the game, it didn't bother me at all. In fact, the game was somewhat empowering. Having a character who's in control at all times, is the heroine, and actually takes advantage of her sex to combat enemies. Sure, it was over the top, but it worked well with the whole vibe of the game.

Also, the same people who complain about objectification and the treatment of women, don't say shit about GoW3. Several cases in the game where you're using women as objects. Quite literally in some instances.

practice02 said:
1. that's a stupid statment because she is not real!
2. There are some tech issues and some of the gameplay gets kind of boring it's still a good game but not great.

I guess you missed the "x100" which meant I wasn't being totally serious with that statement.

Bayonetta isn't real?

ezekial45 said:
Has anyone heard or at least tried God Hard? I want to know what makes it so hard. Like what the conditions are.
The 20 rotations code is legit.

God Hard conditions are the following:

Enemy Health: Increased by .3 (Normal is 1.00, so GH is 1.30.)
Enemy Attacks: Increased by .5 (Normal is 1.00.)
Enemy Accuracy: Very Accurate (Normal is "Good", Hard is "Accurate".)
Player Recovery: Half Speed (Every other difficulty is "Normal".)
Boost Overheat: Normal (Same in every other difficulty.)
Active AR Mode Overheat: 2x (This means you overheat twice as fast. AR overheating is the same in every other difficulty.)
AR Mode Overheat: 4x (Don't suck.)
Item Drop: .5 (Normal is 1.00, Hard is the same as GH.)
Weapon Upgrade: None
Weapon Downgrade: None

Tain

this game is so much better than Galaxy 2.

but yeah, loving it so far.

Enemy Health: Increased by .3 (Normal is 1.00, so GH is 1.30.)
Enemy Attacks: Increased by .5 (Normal is 1.00.)
Enemy Accuracy: Very Accurate (Normal is "Good", Hard is "Accurate".)
Player Recovery: Half Speed (Every other difficulty is "Normal".)
Boos Overheat: Normal (Same in every other difficulty.)
Active AR Mode Overheat: 2x (This means you overheat twice as fast. AR overheating is the same in every other difficulty.)
AR Mode Overheat: 4x (Don't suck.)
Item Drop: .5 (Normal is 1.00, Hard is the same as GH.)
Weapon Upgrade: None
Weapon Downgrade: None

I was kinda hoping that there would be enemy placement/design differences, but that's how God Hand rolled, too.

FlashbladeGAF said:
I guess you missed the "x100" which meant I wasn't being totally serious with that statement.

Bayonetta isn't real?
It's hard to take your post on female sexuality serious
10wk8sg.gif

dwebo

I put it on hard mode to start since I played the demo a good bit... and it isn't actually that bad. I'm pretty terrible at console shooters, but the checkpoints are liberally placed, and enemies actually fire at people besides you!

Amazing stuff so far.

jonnybryce said:
I love this game but it saddens me that I'm not as graceful, smooth and awesome as the gameplay vids I've watched.
Contrary to somewhat popular belief, Vanquish is not a difficult game to look good in. It is, however, challenging to master.

CaptYamato said:
I'm definitely play my first run through on normal.
That's what I'm doing. I just want to get a feel for everything. Unfortunately, the leaderboards for the campaign only focus on score and not completion time. I guess that's what Challenge Mode is for, since the second demo recorded only time and nothing in regard to score.

Pre-ordered it ( two days in advance of the EU release, yay ), as I am a huge fan of Bayonetta ( as in, anything that is smooth and fast-paced ) and loved the demo of Vanquish. Can't wait to get my hands on the full game. :)

I can see why Bayonetta's art-direction might put off some people, but I loved it in all its over-sexualized quirkiness.

Picked it up and played the first hour. Pretty cool but it does feel a little too small so far which is strange considering the epic scale otherwise depicted. Resolution seems lowish too. I like it more now than when I played the demo and I love the art direction of the environments. Totally my style.

G4TV gave it 6/10.

G4TV said:
If Vanquish is poking fun at Solid Snake, Master Chief and every gun-toting videogame hero that has come since it does so with nary a wink. It's more likely that Shinji Mikami and company are like a cover band, rocking their shooter in the style of their favorite American hits. They may have the chops, but they can't write a tune to save their lives.

Didn't expect things to get that low.

dwebo

Well, that was definitely the coolest
train section
I've played since Uncharted 2. :lol

edit: Oh yeah, and for that 40 yard dash trophy, you just have to stop boosting right before you overheat.

Llyranor

So hard is unlocked from the getgo?

Is normal still a good challenge? How would you compare it to the normal --> hard --> infinite climax diff progression in Bayo? By default, I'd usually opt for hard right away, but if normal is a decent challenge, I might try it for the extra playthrough.

Top Bottom