• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
So in every other action shooter game with a cover mechanic that existed before Vanquish, I saw low cover-providing objects as a barrier to hide behind and cry like a vagina.

Now, my eye picks out low cover as a 'launching pad' for jumping over so I can get a better angle to rape the enemies' faces off with a flurry of bullets.
when I realised you could go slow-mo as you leapt over cover I was very happy. Lets you get that extra bit of elevation.

I also love that cover isn't either a wall or medium-sized barrier in this, there's super-low cover you can lay behind. That's three types! Innovation.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Linkzg said:
oooh I haven't thought of that. That might really help now that I'm trying to upgrade the sniper rifle. I just hope the fire rate increase with upgrades.
yeah it gets super quick on the last upgrade.

Beezy said:
*looks over the last few posts*

Am I the only one who abuses the shit out of the shotgun?
I didn't until Act 4, but man, once that thing is upgraded (fire-rate, particularly) it's a blast to use. Melee with the heavy machine gun, AR during the flip, switch to shotgun and watch the sparks fly.

Beezy said:

It's really nice to go boost to cover an enemy is on the other side of, roll back as they jump, and blast them in the face.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fimbulvetr said:
It's really nice to go boost to cover an enemy is on the other side of, roll back as they jump, and blast them in the face.
and the jump backwards and shoot animation is so fucking sexy

I usually hate it when people use the word sexy to describe something totally nonsexual, but god damn the animations in this game make me hot and bothered. They look absolutely amazing when they have to but they're to the point and responsive and restrained when it calls for it.

fwah, this game

LiK

360 ver still not here yet from GS. and zavvi is only starting to ship them now but my order is still not shipped yet. goddammit.

Bernbaum said:
The only thing I'm not liking are cutscenes where radical action shit is happening and I'm not pressing buttons making the radness myself.

I thought that was great. I'm following up Castlevania (qte bullshit fest) and Enslaved (mash A until you climb something as things happen in the background), so just being able to relax and watch awesome action feels good. And the cutscenes and QTEs in Vanquish are really cool. So much style.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fimbulvetr said:
Pft, fail.

Double Bogey outclasses any boss fight in the game.

Burns reacts too slowly(he's only kinda troubling when you're too busy concentrating on his minions to see what he's doing), Crystal Viper's counter is exploitable, the regular Bogey fight is too easy, Buzzard is even easier, Argus is a bullet sponge.

Aesthetically :p

FlashbladeGAF said:
:)

I got the same vibe when I first laid eyes on him.

With all the surprises the game was throwing at me, that boss was one I didn't see coming.
Just like the regenerators when I laid eyes on him I was like HOLY SHIT what the hell is that!

I guess because I got used to seeing all the crazy robot designs, when they showed me a robot that resembled the body of human, it freaked me the hell out.

Good to see that I'm not the only one here. They are just really, for a lack of a better word, 'cool'. That little walk they do when they first appear is so badass too!

Beezy said:

Absolutely not! It’s actually my main weapon! :D

Nothing better than rolling into an enemy at close range in slow-mo and blasting them at close range!

Also, I'm with Rez 100% about the animations in this game. I just seriously can't praise it enough! <3

Nemesis_

I found that, in my no dying run, the Shotgun is perfect for mowing down the Jellyfish in the dark tunnel. Amazing stuff, that sequence was the first thing I saw that hasn't been really shown in the media - and I loved the way it was put together.

Hoping to be more surprised further in too. My first proper boss battle with a humanoid character was epic.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I played the demo agaip. It's pretty awesome and very hectic. I'll have to get this soon.

It's worth it just for the slide move. The smoking is kinda lame cuz he throws it away too fast, no real smoker would do that.

adversesolutions said:
Anyone have any idea how to get the Smoke 'em if you got 'em! achievement? Pretty stumped.

You can only throw a cigarette when you are behind cover........the amount you have is over the weapon selection. You should start out with three. When you’re behind cover press ‘LB’ to smoke one, their eyes will turn red and they’ll start shooting the cigarette, when that happens get out of cover and shoot until you kill them. Best place is in Act 3 around the end of the level when the Kreon will open a compartment and reveal 10 enemies. Throw the cigarette and they will start shooting it. When that happens unleash hell! Achievement unlocked!

Snuggler said:
I played the demo agaip. It's pretty awesome and very hectic. I'll have to get this soon.

It's worth it just for the slide move. The smoking is kinda lame cuz he throws it away too fast, no real smoker would do that.
He isn't enjoying a smoke. It's used to distract the enemy.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Fimbulvetr said:
Double Bogey outclasses any boss fight in the game.

Burns reacts too slowly(he's only kinda troubling when you're too busy concentrating on his minions to see what he's doing)

I actually sniped most of
Burns
and exploited the HMG close combat launch/yourself in the air
and shoot his ass from afar. When I entered the last area where you have to fight him and his minions I immediately hit him 3 or 4 times and he was a goner.
Never had to deal with his minions at all :D and yeah he is slow indeed

Love the HMG for the sole reason of being able to launch yourself into the air.
I use it as my jump button.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CaptYamato said:
He isn't enjoying a smoke. It's used to distract the enemy.

Dang, so you guys finally figured out the point of smoking? If I were him, I'd do it just because I needed a smoke due to the fact that shit is crazy.

I'll definitely get this soon. I think I'll like it berry much.

Feel bad about overriding LALILULELO's post since he has the best user name/avatar combo ever.

Bernbaum

Linkzg said:
I thought that was great. I'm following up Castlevania (qte bullshit fest) and Enslaved (mash A until you climb something as things happen in the background), so just being able to relax and watch awesome action feels good. And the cutscenes and QTEs in Vanquish are really cool. So much style.
True - it's a strange gripe. I guess it's a trite thing to complain about, but then I have bugger-all criticisms of the game otherwise. I'd sooner have some over the top action cutscene sequence that shadows the actual gameplay rather than goofy exposition. It's not like the game doesn't serve up buckets of breakneck action anyway. It's only kinda annoying when the scene is set up to suggest that there's a meaty boss fight just ahead, but instead Sam just goes ahead and offs the boss all by hisself.

Protip: Don't replay a mission if you're in the middle of a campaign run. It'll fuck over your progress and make you restart from the beginning if you care about your total score.

I just learned that the hard way. I'm not too upset over it though because I've been able to improve all of my God Hard scores so far. And the fact that this game is absurdly fun helps.

Koralsky

lucablight said:
Has anybody who pre ordered this on Zavvi received a dispatched notice yet? I'm still waiting.

"Dear Ivaylo Koralsky,

Thank you for your order with zavvi. We can confirm the item(s) below have been sent to you.

Quantity Title Price Each
1 Vanquish EUR 33.95"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Snuggler said:
Dang, so you guys finally figured out the point of smoking? If I were him, I'd do it just because I needed a smoke due to the fact that shit is crazy.

It was never really a mystery. The robots' vision is heat based, so they react immediately to throw cigs.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thetrin said:
It was never really a mystery. The robots' vision is heat based, so they react immediately to throw cigs.

Well, obviously I'm out of the loop when it comes to this game but in the first few weeks of the first demo we didn't know the purpose of the cigs. As a real life smoker, they already had a purpose on me since seeing them makes me wanna have a smoke but it's cool they have an effect on gameplay.

can't wait to pick this fucker up.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Snuggler said:
Dang, so you guys finally figured out the point of smoking?

I don't believe the mechanic was in the demo. But you only get three cigarettes per mission, so that is what makes that particular achievement so difficult.

Chopperman said:
The worst thing about Boost machine gun is its clip size. I think it has the fastest firing rate though, and might do more damage than HMG.

The clip size is a non issue. Just make sure you cancel AR mode while you're reloading. The thing does way more DPS than the normal HMG. It is so incredibly good for bosses. The only real drawback about it is that it doesn't spawn near as often as the normal HMG, so you can't really use it for anything but bosses.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
I need some tips for God Hard mode. Can't even get past the demo area D:
seriously. I wish there was a mode with the God Hard enemy layout but regular AR mode!

Empty

my favourite animation is the glide in one direction, shoot in another one where you fire your gun over your shoulder. so fucking cool looking.

My main tip for God Hard is to use cover, roll out when your ARS is full, headshot a robut or two with your assault rifle, then roll back into cover and wait for your ARS to fill again. Don't ever let it overrun into overheat mode, and use backpack reloading (or whatever it's called that lets you reload a weapon as you switch to another) constantly. Oh, and especially watch out for the gold robots. They'll knock you into overheat with a single bullet. Fuck those guys.

Not sure what to add beyond that. You'll get used to it after a while. After restarting my playthrough I've just been tearing through missions that were giving me trouble at first while improving my scores.

Vanquish is the GotY btw.

adversesolutions said:
Anyone have any idea how to get the Smoke 'em if you got 'em! achievement? Pretty stumped.

Got it:

3-5 on casual
Go past the part where the foot comes down
A balcony full of enemies will drop down
Get on the bridge, crouch, aim your cigarette high
Jump back->slow time->grenade
Will take every robot on the balcony out.

Easy.

Credits to 2ch...

All that's left is Legend, Pangloss statues and Challenges.

Empty

act 3 spoilers:
damn. the shadow boss battle was awesome. amazing character design and i had some chilling close calls where i only just slid out the way in slowmo as i was being lunged at with his instant kill grab, well before turning them into grin inducing awesome moments by spinning round in my slowmo scape to shotgun him from close range and then rolling perfectly into cover without overheating.

this game gets boss battles in a shooter so right. i want more of them.

Amir0x

Banned
I love Shinji Mikami for the sole fact that his games always have you hit the ground running. There is no breathing room. You need to learn the game or your ass is toast. Obviously that sort of design philosophy is dying because gamers are complete fucking pussies now. What's this holding your hand bullshit, these days?

If a sequel is made
(Oh god, please. I will sacrifice 3,000 lambs for this to happen.)
, I hope the same design philosophy applies.

i'll donate 1000 lambs because it doesn't look good :()

Shurs

Why is criticism of the game's story dismissed, or so easily written off? I know that it's not the "point" of the game, but it's still very much present as you play. I could understand completely writing off the story in a game like Super Mario Bros where the premise is laid down as: "The princess was captured, save her." In a game like Mario, where no context is attempted, the story truly is irrelevant. In Vanquish, a fair amount of play time is focused on story. Shouldn't that be fair game?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a story's only as important as the act of playing the game demands it to be.

on the first run-through of Vanquish all it needs to do is give you a vague scenario, on repeat-playthroughs it as non-factor. it's a story written around a game, not the other way around.

Amir0x

Banned
To me the story is abysmal. But unlike you, I don't think it's the point. In fact, I think it's very reminiscent of the arcade flash screens we used to get with some ridiculous and arbitrary motivator such as "GO GET APRIL!" and then "GO!"

To me, this is just the arcade motivator. I can't allow game stories to bother me that much or I'll never like ANY game. All game stories are atrocious. Why suddenly am I going to mark Vanquish off for it?

The only games I mark off for stories are genuinely story driven games, like RPGs or even something like Metal Gear Solid which has like hours of cutscenes.

Shurs

I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm preparing to write a review and I'm not going to spend a lot of time on Vanquish's story, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss it completely by saying that it's not the point.

I don't think the story is the "point" of Vanquish, but I don't see how it's any less present in Vanquish than it is is, say, Killzone 2, a game which (rightfully) took a fair amount of shots for its story and characters.

I finished Vanquish yesterday and it's obvious that some effort was put into the story.

Amir0x

Banned
well again that is a valid opinion, i just disagree. I ignored all the story all the time, it seemed very much like complete background noise. Also the idea that anyone could spend real time on a story as terrible as this is amusing to me. It HAD to be background noise to be this bad imo. It IS almost of the "so bad it's good" variety :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think that the amount of disengagement a bad story can provide for me is entirely proportional to how seriously it takes itself. KZ2 actually made me groan, whereas Vanquish's story is simply there as a vehicle for Sam's cool powers and a nice camera sweep.

Amir0x

Banned
The Russian Evil dude is so obviously a parody of the scheming Bear of the East stereotype that it's bizarre anyone can take it seriously :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if anything, I wish it had been a little more out-there. RE4 had a great completely absurd story, and the whole package was better for it.

Shurs

Amir0x said:
well again that is a valid opinion, i just disagree. I ignored all the story all the time, it seemed very much like complete background noise. Also the idea that anyone could spend real time on a story as terrible as this is amusing to me. It HAD to be background noise to be this bad imo. It IS almost of the "so bad it's good" variety :lol

I ignored the story too, until the end of the game, where I wasn't allowed to ignore it any longer.

The game is awesome, and the story didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game, so there's something to be said there. I don't think I'm going to spend a lot of time on the story in the review, as the game's finer points, of which there are many, completely dwarf any issues I have with Vanquish's narrative, but I thought it interesting that this game seemingly gets a pass while some other games (which are also not story-driven) do not.

Top Bottom