• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Empty

i thought acts one, two and three were amazing, but four just keeps raising the bar with every encounter. it's fucking insane how great every bit in there is. if there were a button you could click when you finished an area to do it again i don't think i'd ever get through the game.

fighting crystal viper right now, which is an amazing boss battle. love the intensity created by the small space versus the potency of its attacks.

Saty

Feindflug said:
I wouldn't call the cover system useless...

Well, the God Hard difficulty unlocks only after you complete the game and ofc, you can make any game hellish so you'll use everything you can. The point is that i don't think it suits the game at all. It's all about movement through space. Cover encourages staying put and is static.
Eurogamer may have dubbed it a cover shooter 'at heart' but i couldn't disagree more with that (and with other things in that review). The cover system holds the game back, its true potential lies without this mechanic (I principally just don't appriciate cover systems).

It has gotten to the point that to me cover system is used (together with regen health) as a pretext to throw as many enemies as possbile at the player and to have annoying bosses. But cover-system defangs most of the danger and it just makes for a lesser-gameplay. Vanquish bosses became less challenging and difficult as the game progressed mainly because having these 3 elements (cover,slow-mo,boost) was just an overkill.
Yes, it was also because the player got better employing the boost and slow-mo systems but less so than desired, so without relying on cover in designing the game the game would have benefieted in my mind.

Foffy

Banned
Y2Kev said:
my only complaint is that the FMV looks like it is from a dreamcast game

You got that vibe too? :lol

I'm digging the game, though I'm not too versed into the mechanics just yet. I'm on the second chapter.

I bought this a couple days ago because of a good deal here in Canada, but I haven't gotten to it yet due to midterms. Reading this thread is making it incredibly hard to stay at school studying instead of going home and cracking this game open.

Amir0x

Banned
Fistwell said:
Was on the fence, thread title convinced me not to buy this.

we are so hurt by your lack of interest

it always hurts us when you deprive yourself of great games *sniff*

Let me...not let you see me cry...

*runs off sobbing*

Amir0x said:
:(

It's a true shame. Like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, it's a game that came out around the time other more hyped titles came out, yet they were both the game that deserved the sales over the others. They are the ones that the deliver the type of consistent, amazing hardcore gaming experiences that we on these forums love to talk about, but when push comes to shove can't get their mothers to pay the price for it.
lara croft did really well

I feel so bad about myself playing this game...I'm just too slow. I stand around like an idiot getting shot because I just can't make decisions fast enough.

Oh well, time to keep playing!

Fistwell said:
Was on the fence, thread title convinced me not to buy this.

I came because of the thread title. Ryan from giantbomb couldnt wait to stop talking about this game. They made him touch on the subject again, when he revealed that it was 6 hours with no multi and no mention of why someone would play it more than once. Bayonetta was long and had plenty of reasons to return that got mentioned in such discussions.

I check out this page of the thread, and its already a conspiracy theory about the length of this game causing it to be swept aside by reviewers. Meanwhile, recent games I loved (dr2, castlevania) are somehow the problem. No thanks to all this.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fimbulvetr said:
Seriously? Damn, that's terrible.

I like the line they used for the trailer though.

"If it takes a decade to finish the fight, it's time to change tactics."

dwebo

Nice thread title change. If you're like me, and don't like replaying stuff just to increase your score, it's pretty hard to recommend buying Vanquish full price. I rented it, got an amazing six hours out of it, and will probably never have a hankering for it again. But if you do like that kinda stuff, it's your wildest dream come true!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The game is designed to be played many, many times. It is a speedrunning game, much like old arcade classics. People complaining about the length are missing the point, and people complaining about NO MULTI need to get fucked and die in a fire. GiantBomb is so execrable.

Now on the topic of the lack of extras in the game, that's more of a problem and it is disappointing. Coming from Platinum, I expect more.

At least rent the game. It is a finely tuned masterpiece made by a team that refined and considered every inch of the game.

I am embarrassed by many reviews I have read.

epmode

Zeliard said:
Not port-begging, but man, if ever there was a game that demanded a PC version...
I'd buy that with the fury of a thousand suns.

In related news, I think I'll buy this today but I'm having a hard time deciding which version to get. I figure I'll go for the 360 one, just because I prefer that controller. Normally, vsync would be a dealbreaker but I didn't really notice it in the 360 demo.

BTW, is the American release of Vanquish 360 playable on a Japanese console?

Empty

unfortunately this games' inevitable bombing will just reinforce the horrible expectation that all shooters should have multiplayer :(

Nemesis_

Fuck fuck fuck.

I cannot fathom how amazing this game is. It's the same feelings I had for Bayonetta all over. Again.

Platinum will never disappoint.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I should buy this. I'm totally part of the problem right now. I've been pining for top-shelf Japanese action games all gen... now it's here and my habits say "wait for the bargain bin". I know that's shitty. I guess as a j-game fan I've been trained out of paying full price upon release.. (few j-games have warranted it, this gen). Maybe I should splurge.

Surely this is an annoying Q by now: but which platform should I get this on? The look of the game screams "Playstation" to me (ZOEish)... but I usually buy Sega games on 360, and the triggers might be nice...

Empty said:
unfortunately this games' inevitable bombing will just reinforce the horrible expectation that all shooters should have multiplayer :(

Can't wait for Vanquish 2 with 4-player co-op and 32 player deathmatch.

BocoDragon said:
Surely this is an annoying Q by now: but which platform should I get this on? The look of the game screams "Playstation" to me (ZOEish)... but I usually buy Sega games on 360, and the triggers might be nice...

PS3 version uses bumpers for aiming/shooting instead of triggers(thank god), so really it's your choice.

PS3 has slightly better performance though.

BocoDragon

Fimbulvetr said:
PS3 version uses bumpers for aiming/shooting instead of triggers(thank god), so really it's your choice.

PS3 has slightly better performance though.
Hmm... then that might be the one to get. Thx.

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
The game is designed to be played many, many times. It is a speedrunning game, much like old arcade classics. People complaining about the length are missing the point, and people complaining about NO MULTI need to get fucked and die in a fire. GiantBomb is so execrable.

Now on the topic of the lack of extras in the game, that's more of a problem and it is disappointing. Coming from Platinum, I expect more.

At least rent the game. It is a finely tuned masterpiece made by a team that refined and considered every inch of the game.

Don't listen to the latest Rebel FM if you want to keep some semblance of sanity. Arthur Gies says some amazingly idiotic things about this game in particular.

epmode

I don't mean to be the jackass who bumps his own post only 15 minutes later but I'm leaving any minute:

Is the American 360 release playable on a Japanese console?

andymcc

Banned
Class_A_Ninja said:
I came because of the thread title. Ryan from giantbomb couldnt wait to stop talking about this game. They made him touch on the subject again, when he revealed that it was 6 hours with no multi and no mention of why someone would play it more than once. Bayonetta was long and had plenty of reasons to return that got mentioned in such discussions.

I check out this page of the thread, and its already a conspiracy theory about the length of this game causing it to be swept aside by reviewers. Meanwhile, recent games I loved (dr2, castlevania) are somehow the problem. No thanks to all this.

:lol

BocoDragon

Zeliard said:
Don't listen to [snip] Rebel FM if you want to keep some semblance of sanity. Arthur Gies says some amazingly idiotic things [snip].
fixed.

Flynn

iconoclast said:
Can't wait for Vanquish 2 with 4-player co-op and 32 player deathmatch.

You guys joke, but Burns would have been a rad co-op player. Having the second player control entirely differently have been interesting.

But we all know that there is and will never be co-op because it would break AR mode.

I think when critics gripe about no multiplayer or co-op what we're saying is that you'd better really bring it in your single player.

Ken Levine said something really interesting lately about tacked on multi. He said unless you've got something really "profound" going on in your multi why bother.

I think the same goes from the other angle. Your game is going to feel thin if you skip out on multi and don't have something really profound about your single player.

As you've all pointed out the second to second gameplay in Vanquish is amazing. Plot, scenario, character, enemy variety, setting variety and pacing are all lacking.

I'd argue that Vanquish did not have a profound single player campaign. Only profoundly good action.

Here's the thing. I don't really want Platinum to fill in the bullet points on the back of a shooter box. What Vanquish really needs/need was something new. Some other additional game mode, besides the challenges that really captures the imagination in an interesting way.

I think Mikami and Platinum are creative enough to come up with something for singer player that is interesting and compelling as Horde, but suited specifically to the solitary game experience.

They didn't come up with anything like that.

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Yup. How someone can so directly miss the point of this game as to not understand the foundational way this game DEMANDS replays is beyond me... but it says that a lot of people simply should not be writing anything that guides someone toward/against games. To so severely miscalculate what a game is about suggests there is something missing at some fundamental level with your ability to provide critical analysis.

Are we saying that this is automatically great for everyone?

No!

However, if you're against infinitely replayable games that are designed shorter, but around the idea of continually improving your run (the so-called "speed runners wet dream", much like Lara Croft), then you shouldn't be playing this game anyway. It is as large a success at what it sets out to do as is humanly possible.

i WOULD have bought this yesterday to play on the weekend, but goddamn it was nowhere to be found in my city :(

and now i'm slowly losing my vibes for this game. f*ck. hope it's in stock on monday or tuesday at the latest or i'm just gonna jump in to Fallout.

Zeliard said:
Not port-begging, but man, if ever there was a game that demanded a PC version...

yeah, I'd adore it even more on PC. I have the PS3 version and while the controls are super tight and some of the best I've tried on a dual analog controller, it doesn't change the fact that I suck with dual analog compared to mouse controls.

I would rebuy it in a heartbeat

rvy

Banned
epmode said:
I don't mean to be the jackass who bumps his own post only 15 minutes later but I'm leaving any minute:

Is the American 360 release playable on a Japanese console?
Play-Asia says no.

epmode

iconoclast said:
Play-Asia says it has no region protection.

http://www.play-asia.com/Vanquish/paOS-13-71-dw-49-en-70-3x3t.html

edit: actually, wait a second, I could test it out myself. If my J360 actually works this time.

edit 2: Yes, it works fine.
You are a very nice person! I'm off to the store omg
rvy said:
Play-Asia says no.
Their compatibility list has a question mark. Anyway, the US release of Bayonetta works in my J360, I just wanted to make sure this would too.

Amir0x

Banned
Flynn said:
If that were the case the story would have been amazing.

the story was set out to be as ignorable as possible. Another version of an 1990's arcade cabinet

"APRIL HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED!! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO SAVE HER!?"

"1...2...3 GO!"

it is a success at being ignorable

Curufinwe

Zeliard said:
Don't listen to the latest Rebel FM if you want to keep some semblance of sanity. Arthur Gies says some amazingly idiotic things about this game in particular.

If there were specific points he raised that were factually incorrect or logically inconsistent (and I'm sure that there were based on his history) then please point them out in the comments thread. You don't need to register or anything.

http://www.eat-sleep-game.com/news/2010/10/22/rebel-fm-episode-81-102210/

Linkzg said:
People said something similar about Mirror's Edge but I was so much better at that game using kb/m on PC.

being better at it doesn't necessarily mean it's more fun or comfortable.

i'm much better in FPS games with a kb/m of course, but i vastly prefer playing FPS games with my dualshock. i just like the feel of it better, moving my thumbs etc. i enjoy how the camera moves compared to when i play with a mouse (way too fast camera movements IMO).

that's just me though :p

Beezy

Linkzg said:
People said something similar about Mirror's Edge but I was so much better at that game using kb/m on PC.
Mirror's Edge is a first person without the shooting. Makes perfect sense for kb+m.

ZealousD said:
Why "eww"?
I hate kb+m for games unless the genre was made for it. It doesn't feel like I'm playing a game.
Yes, I grew up mainly on console games.

Flynn

Amir0x said:
the story was set out to be as ignorable as possible. Another version of an 1990's arcade cabinet

"APRIL HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED!! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO SAVE HER!?"

"1...2...3 GO!"

it is a success at being ignorable

That's a stretch.

Amir0x

Banned
Flynn said:
That's a stretch.

if by stretch you mean almost exactly the purpose of the story here, then sure. The game is consciously designed so that you don't need a single shred of information about any aspect of the story to proceed. The story is only there as a thin layer to "push" you forward, a motivator by any other name. "X happened, so you can do all this badass stuff to get to Y."

Top Bottom