• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

JoeFenix

God Hard is VERY challenging, up to 2-5 while aiming for no death runs of every area, some of this shit is INTENSE!!!

1-7 was a pain in the ass to no death and I feel like my 2-2 run will be VERY hard to top score wise! This game fucking rules! :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
JoeFenix said:
God Hard is VERY challenging, up to 2-5 while aiming for no death runs of every area, some of this shit is INTENSE!!!

1-7 was a pain in the ass to no death and I feel like my 2-2 run will be VERY hard to top score wise! This game fucking rules! :D

Even a couple of the later stages on Normal were pretty hard. I can't imagine how you're going to fair in Act 4 doing this. =X

JoeFenix said:

R.I.P. dude.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Curufinwe said:
They're so close I might just get the 360 version since I can install the entire game.

The PS3 version has a mandatory install of 1.5 gb I believe. The PS3 version is the version you should get if you have one. Unless you're an achievo whore.

This is personal preference, of course, but I think boost feels better on the L2 than it does on the 360's LB.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
JoeFenix said:

Awesome stuff man! Can you provide any specific tactics during your GodHard playthrough that you use to....well...survive?

I am only on my first playthrough so far, but I intend on giving this game some serious hours.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
thetrin said:
The PS3 version has a mandatory install of 1.5 gb I believe. The PS3 version is the version you should get if you have one. Unless you're an achievo whore.

This is personal preference, of course, but I think boost feels better on the L2 than it does on the 360's LB.

I tried the demo on both systems and definitely liked the LB compared to the L2 flipper. Even with Real Triggers attached it felt awkward. But this is certainly just a personal preference.:D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JonnyAvacado said:
I tried the demo on both systems and definitely liked the LB compared to the L2 flipper. Even with Real Triggers attached it felt awkward. But this is certainly just a personal preference.:D

I usually hate the flippers, but reloading, picking up and boosting felt good as flicks rather than click presses. It's the same reason I like having Reload on R2 in Uncharted 2.

Colocho

Banned
thetrin said:
Yeah, I wish I would've gotten this on PS3 for that exact reason, but I don't have a PS3 at the moment so :lol .

JoeFenix

JonnyAvacado said:
Awesome stuff man! Can you provide any specific tactics during your GodHard playthrough that you use to....well...survive?

I am only on my first playthrough so far, but I intend on giving this game some serious hours.

Well... On God Hard you get very limited AR time so it forces you to play a bit slower by default because enemies are so accurate and powerful.

I would say try to keep an eye on your boost meter and use the dodge + left trigger to manualy activate AR, headshot a guy and quickly get back out of AR.

Use the slide move to close in distance and position yourself, always watch the radar to make sure you aren't going to get flanked. It's the kind of game where there isn't an easy strategy to abuse, atleast I haven't found one yet :lol

I was one of the people in this thread harping about the length before release but....

GATDAYUM

...I only completed the first act so far, and this is insane. The gameplay, the graphics, the melee attacks, the Witch Time, the pure bliss of shooting something, etc. etc. Everything just feels so good. Even the cutscenes are really well done.

PS: The Disc Launcher is worthless when shooting it, but the melee attack is BADASS. Speaking of chainsaws, the Gears of War 2 homage section in the first act was really cool.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
Baloonatic said:
Can't you switch the shoulder buttons round anyway? Pretty sure there's 2 different control types.

Yep, you sure can. I am using type A I think right now where you boost with LB, reload with RB and Aim/Shoot with LT/RT.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
JoeFenix said:
Well... On God Hard you get very limited AR time so it forces you to play a bit slower by default because enemies are so accurate and powerful.

I would say try to keep an eye on your boost meter and use the dodge + left trigger to manualy activate AR, headshot a guy and quickly get back out of AR.

Use the slide move to close in distance and position yourself, always watch the radar to make sure you aren't going to get flanked. It's the kind of game where there isn't an easy strategy to abuse, atleast I haven't found one yet :lol

Thanks man, sounds good! I like the fact that there isn't an easily abuse-able strategy yet :lol . Goddamn this game is great.

thetrin

Baloonatic said:
Can't you switch the shoulder buttons round anyway? Pretty sure there's 2 different control types.

Yeah, It defaults to Type B on PS3, which feel really comfortable.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
God Hard sounds fantastic. Does it switch anything up, like enemy placements etc.?

JoeFenix said:
The disc launcher is great for dismembering the Romanovs, those big guys that first show up in 1-3.

Correct. The disk launcher is plenty useful, just situational. I didn't realize you could even do that until Act III, suddenly it was like, "... Oh! Oh!" I can't believe I had been missing the point of the gun for half the game, it's so much fun. Cutting off a Romanov's arms and legs and watching its torso flop toward you is awesome.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
thetrin said:
Yeah, It defaults to Type B on PS3, which feel really comfortable.

Isn't the main difference that it simply switches between the triggers and the shoulder buttons?

Type A is pretty much standard shooter controls on the 360.

thetrin

ZealousD said:
Isn't the main difference that it simply switches between the triggers and the shoulder buttons?

Type A is pretty much standard shooter controls on the 360.
Yeah. It defaults to Type B on PS3 only, because the flippers suck for shooting.

My point is that flicking the flipper to boost or reload feels better than the LB/RB buttons.

Again, personal preference.

thetrin

Just finished the anti-grav section. Amazing, but way way way too short.

Also, I love Unknown's instant kill move.

thetrin

~Devil Trigger~ said:
creeped me out the first time it grabbed me

Okay, I've changed my mind. The counter you do to Crystal Viper is fucking EPIC.

Amir0x

Banned
man. what an amazing control scheme this game has. it's so perfect. Even though this game is going to do so poorly that it's gonna rip a hole into the fabric of reality, changing time/space so that we suddenly live in a world where NPD lets everyone have all their numbers again just in time to show that VANQUISH sold 23,000 units, i really hope some other game reconstitutes this whole basic third person action shooter control scheme/concept. I don't want to imagine a world where I never experience such perfect action controls

I've been going back to watch all the trailers I ignored. I stopped watching when they released the extended story trailer.

Good lord MAJOR SPOILERS! Glad I was able to experience most of the content fresh. Media blackout is a must from here on out!

Now i'm just counting down the minutes until I can leave the office. The launch trailer has me even more psyched to start a new campaign.

thetrin said:
Okay, I've changed my mind. The counter you do to Crystal Viper is fucking EPIC.

Only thing I hate about that is it makes him too easy. It too easily allows you to sit back and chill, knowing if he charges at you, you can just hit square and crush him. Still, smashing him open and exposing the endoskeleton is awesome.

So who else got Dead Space vibes from this?

Health on your suite, the city environment with all the advertisements and most of all the zero gravity section.....

I had the Disk Launcher in that section and I really felt as if I was playing Dead Space 2 whilst running with it. :D

EDIT: Collecting the hidden trophies = Peng!

thetrin said:
Yeah. That shit is elite as fuck. :lol

Also, I wouldn't be able to play this game like I am with the 360 controller. My fingers would be hurting.

thetrin

Bogey Alpha and Bogey Bravo

HOOOLLLLYYYYYY FUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK

Boost without the inhibitor is fucking CRAZY!

This is my game of the year, so far. Everything about this game is fucking mint.

Spiegel

Jesus what a ride, Mikami delivers again.

I've bought the game this afternoon and stopped playing now after I got killed four times in Act3-4 (I think).
The mission with the monorail where you have to shoot the lights. Can't destroy the missiles fast enough. What am I doing wrong?

Playing on normal btw.

Spiegel said:
I've bought the game this afternoon and stopped playing now after I got killed four times in Act3-4 (I think).
The mission with the monorail where you have to shoot the lights. Can't destroy the missiles fast enough. What am I doing wrong?

Snipe the lights as fast as possible when a red circle appears on them. When the flying ship comes turn and shoot the driver quickly before it gets to see you. Also pick up one Sniper Rifle....and then when you're low on ammo get another one.

thetrin

Spiegel said:
Jesus what a ride, Mikami delivers again.

Playing on normal btw.

There are missiles in that level? Are you making noise?

Amir0x said:
man. what an amazing control scheme this game has. it's so perfect. Even though this game is going to do so poorly that it's gonna rip a hole into the fabric of reality, changing time/space so that we suddenly live in a world where NPD lets everyone have all their numbers again just in time to show that VANQUISH sold 23,000 units, i really hope some other game reconstitutes this whole basic third person action shooter control scheme/concept. I don't want to imagine a world where I never experience such perfect action controls

Hopefully people copy the fuck out of it the way people copied the fuck out of RE4.

Spiegel

Tricky I Shadow said:
Snipe the lights as fast as possible when a red circle appears on them. When the flying ship comes turn and shoot the driver quickly before it gets to see you. Also pick up one Sniper Rifle....and then when you're low on ammo get another one.

thetrin said:
There are missiles in that level? Are you making noise?

Hopefully people copy the fuck out of it the way people copied the fuck out of RE4.

Ah that must be it, I was shooting at the ship and not the driver. Will try tomorrow

Thanks.

thetrin said:
Bogey Alpha and Bogey Bravo

HOOOLLLLYYYYYY FUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK

Boost without the inhibitor is fucking CRAZY!

This is my game of the year, so far. Everything about this game is fucking mint.
Yeah, this game is very close to being my GOTG. I need to finish it on God Hard first, though.

thetrin

Spiegel said:
Ah that must be it, I was shooting at the ship and not the driver. Will try tomorrow

Thanks.

A good thing to keep in mind is that in AR mode, you get a targeting reticle around weak points in enemies. That's a really good way of figuring out how to destroy them.

That, and I always aim for the driver when I play shooters. ;P

So what is your favourite enemy in the game?

For me it’s definitely the Crystal Vipers......best enemy since the Regenerators!

Go up close with the shotgun and shattering it is the most satisfying thing ever!

Top Bottom