• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Y2Kev said:
The game is designed to be played many, many times. It is a speedrunning game, much like old arcade classics. People complaining about the length are missing the point, and people complaining about NO MULTI need to get fucked and die in a fire. GiantBomb is so execrable.
I question the actual value of a multiplayer mode in a shooter these days, every game has one and unless your game is Halo/Uncharted/etc... the community will be dead weeks after release.

Shurs

Prime crotch said:
I question the actual value of a multiplayer mode in a shooter these days, every game has one and unless your game is Halo/Uncharted/etc... the community will be dead weeks after release.

Bullshit.

This isn't to say I think Vanquish needs a multiplayer mode. It doesn't.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
who listens to rebelfm :lol

That's like saying "don't lick lead paint if you want to maintain sanity!" or "don't ingest arsenic if you want to get all whacked out"

-the guns don't aim well, the shooting doesn't feel good

Complete tripe. The controls are wonderful, with no deadzone, comfortable button placement, zero lag, and no animation in the way. There's fairly constant and consistent acceleration, and Sam turns on a dime. Each gun has a distinct personality with a unique usage. The machine gun feels heavy, the gatling guns feel powerful, the LFE gun creates a lovely low-frequency sound booming from my subwoofer. If anything, I wish the guns leveled more evenly so that I could use them all.

-Vanquish does not have good mechanics

What does this even mean?

-the reviews heavily emphasize the style of Vanquish over the substance

How can you really make this distinction with this game? The style and the substance are so wonderfully interwoven. Nothing Mikami has designed in this game is unnecssary or flashy just to be flashy. It's like DMC's "stylish action." It's what sets the game apart and makes it unique. Oh, and fucking fun.

But I guess Eurogamer mentioning how they had fun sliding under some gigantic robot's crotch and firing missiles into its face at point-blank range was style over substance.

-and that Vanquish is way overrated because the Godhand/Clover Studio aficionados in the press all forced their editors to let them review the game.

Embarrassing.
it's the form of nu-new-games gernalizam where people do the equivalent of deeply analyzing Transformers 2 and then laughing off Scott Pilgrim.

Spear headed by Ryan O'Donnell, but at least he's kind of charming and self-depreciating (and usually has decent taste to go along with it). Nowadays you get folks like the Rebel FM/IGN dude completely self-seriously turning up their nose and feeling like they have something to say, when what they're really trying to say is "I don't really get it, I guess I wouldn't have an opinion on this if a) I didn't have to; and b) it didn't give me an ego-rush to hear people disagree with me on the internet."

Zeliard

There are some people who should simply be kept away from Japanese games of any sort, both for their own good and the mental well-being of the public at-large.

Zeliard said:
There are some people who should simply be kept away from Japanese games of any sort, both for their own good and the mental well-being of the public at-large.
There are some people on gaf that think anything Japan sucks.

leng jai

If sex was a game Vanquish would be it. In the words of Amirox, if you don't like this game you have bad taste. Or don't like fun. This game is a GOTY contender for me which is scary since there are a few things that could easily have been better:

- No suit upgrades? WTF were they thinking.
- Too bad theres no PC port. Is the game sub-HD? The graphics/art are fantastic but the game does look decidedly blurry. The framerate is actually fine especially when you consider how fucken crazy the game is. Animation is amazing and at 60fps this would make me jizz incessantly.
- Pre-rendered cutscenes aren't great. Would have been better if they were 1080p (on PS3).
- While the gunplay is good, the guns themselves have have "felt" more powerful and had more impact. The sounds just aren't that meaty or visceral.

All minor grips in the grand scheme of wings would do little to detract from the overall experience. Game length is most certainly not a problem and pretty much perfect for this arcade style of high scores and speed runs. In terms of pure gameplay this destroys pretty much all shooters on the market run now. The sheer fluidity and variety is out of this world. The soundtrack is awesome too and almost has me dancing in delight when the scoreboard summary comes up. Will buy the OST, as I did with Bayonetta.

I'm gonna be a sad panda if Vanquish bombs. Buy this freakin jizzfest you barstards.

Shurs said:
Bullshit.

This isn't to say I think Vanquish needs a multiplayer mode. It doesn't.
Bullshit that more often than not a shooter will end up with no active community?
You have tons of shooters releases, and almost every single one with multiplayer. Where's the community for Call of Juarez? If it weren't for Japanese players, Front Mission Evolved would be a dead town. And while FM was crap, Call of Juarez was actually good.
Why did these and other games needed a tackled on multiplayer mode, when it's plainly obvious it can't maintain hold on a community?
The answer seems to be avoid the same "no multi" logic Vanquish is falling into, but it makes no sense since a couple of DM modes can't do shit against games like MW2.

Shurs

Prime crotch said:
Bullshit that more often than not a shooter will end up with no active community?
You have tons of shooters releases, and almost every single one with multiplayer. Where's the community for Call of Juarez? If it weren't for Japanese players, Front Mission Evolved would be a dead town. And while FM was crap, Call of Juarez was actually good.
Why did these and other games needed a tackled on multiplayer mode, when it's plainly obvious it can't maintain hold on a community.

You can find matches for most games that have an online element. Do they have huge communities? No. But usually you can find a game. Plus, if you play with friends, you can arrange times to play together.

I do actually wish this game was longer. Then I would have more stuff to replay.

One complaint I don't really get(that hasn't been mentioned in this thread) is the lack of enemy types.

Flynn

Shurs said:
You can find matches for most games that have an online element. Do they have huge communities? No. But usually you can find a game. Plus, if you play with friends, you can arrange times to play together.

The only community I need for Left 4 Dead is three people.

ZeroRay

Having started another playthtrough and I'm noticing things that I didn't the first time.

Forget this being in my top 3, it's by far my GOTY. This and Demon's Souls have proven that mechanics >>> some "epic experience". Too bad this gen doesn't think so.

leng jai

ZeroRay said:
Having started another playthtrough and I'm noticing things that I didn't the first time.

Forget this being in my top 3, it's by far my GOTY. This and Demon's Souls have proven that mechanics >>> some "epic experience". Too bad this gen doesn't think so.

Imagine if we could get both.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
leng jai said:
Imagine if we could get both.
mm

wait

I can think of... something

something's becoming clear in my mind

I can feel it

24qonc1.jpg

what could it mean

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fimbulvetr said:
One complaint I don't really get(that hasn't been mentioned in this thread) is the lack of enemy types.

People have said that? There are a surprising number of enemy types in the game, and I think some are really smart takes on Chest High Wall Game tropes. The moving cover robot is awesome.

Are you guys joking? Isn't vanquish mechanics + epicxxx?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
People have said that? There are a surprising number of enemy types in the game, and I think some are really smart takes on Chest High Wall Game tropes. The moving cover robot is awesome.

Are you guys joking? Isn't vanquish mechanics + epicxxx?
I think what he's trying to say is 'Western'. :)

Y2Kev said:

Yes, some reviews have stated that.

What do we mean by "epic experience" again?

Shurs said:
There are plenty of games that have good single player experiences in addition to (at the very least) serviceable multiplayer modes.

He was referring to "epic experience".

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game really is DMC the shooter. You can real time weapon change for combos :lol

Fire your AR and then end the chain by switching to the rocket launcher for a rocket finisher :lol

panda21

Y2Kev said:

that cover robot is sooo cute :3 the way it folds out the little wall.. its so silly looking :lol the first time you meet one i was just all like awwwwww. then i shot it in the face with the heavy rifle.

ZeroRay

Fimbulvetr said:
Yes, some reviews have stated that.

What do we mean by "epic experience" again?

For me "epic experience" means games that prioritize scripted events and "huge encounters" to deliver a "narrative". Basically, any game that that ignores it's gameplay just to be cinematic. ex. Enslaved, COD single player

Best games this gen to be "epic" without sacrificing gameplay are Bayonetta and Uncharted 2.

JoeFenix

Omg 2-6 on God Hard.... Finaly nailed THE run which put me in first place but it was HELL!

Iconoclast how the hell did you deal with those staff/panther robots?

When there's 2 of em it just feels like you need to get lucky or something, those things are beyond brutal! :lol

ZeroRay said:
For me "epic experience" means games that prioritize scripted events and "huge encounters" to deliver a "narrative". Basically, any game that that ignores it's gameplay just to be cinematic. ex. Enslaved, COD single player

I still don't know what it means.

ZeroRay

Hey, I'm just quoting PR slogans from various games. Usually "epic" and "experience" are the top 2 words when PR managers say when they are asked to describe AAA games these days.

Well, it was a poor choice for words either way.

Bernbaum

It's absolutely ridiculous just how big a quantum leap Vanquish represents for gameplay and design.

Platinum have taken the darling genre of the west - the 3rd person shooter - and completely reinvented how it plays whilst taking the scope and scale to places I didn't expect during this generation of games. They then proceeded to take a big sloppy Mr Whippy-style turd over the faces of every other action shooter game ever made.

The game does the same for the art form that the first Star Wars film did for modern cinema when it was released in 1977.

Hellion

Bernbaum said:
It's absolutely ridiculous just how big a quantum leap Vanquish represents for gameplay and design.

Platinum have taken the darling genre of the west - the 3rd person shooter - and completely reinvented how it plays whilst taking the scope and scale to places I didn't expect during this generation of games. They then proceeded to take a big sloppy Mr Whippy-style turd over the faces of every other action shooter game ever made.

The game does the same for the art form that the first Star Wars film did for modern cinema when it was released in 1977.
Star wars has a story that's easy to follow :/

I need a wiki page on what I just played through.

Amir0x

Banned
My VANQUISH review:

READ THIS BIZNATCH

Amir0x said:
VANQUISH
Platform: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

Hardcore games love to lament the dying state of the industry, how this company or that neglects them for some other prospective consumer, which makes it an even greater tragedy when a game which is sure to crash and burn at the sales charts is the perfect love letter to their desires.

VANQUISH is a game designed around the idea that combat isn't about getting to the next stage, but about the act of killing. Here is a system which celebrates the art of taking down an enemy with almost religious fervor, lavishing in the rain of destruction that consumes Sam Gideon from the word go. It has almost a form of tunnel vision; every other aspect of the game becomes incidental, an excuse to shuttle you from one incredible set piece to the next while you invent ever more elaborate ways to cause pain.

As a third person action title, the game centers around an armored hero who has the ability to rocket slide in and out of combat, and combines this ability with slow mo and a shot gun blast to the face. The controls are so perfect and the game so responsive that nothing comes off as anything other than a complete joy. You'll revel in the death of your foes as much as the game does. It's action at a blistering, unrelenting pace, and I loved every fucking minute.

There is no story. It's a parody of serious games, the equivalent of a flash screen pulling you along saying "the princess is in another castle." It's hopeful in its production, hinting at the idea that there is more to come, but it is ever in the background, knowing precisely how much value it has.

This game has a sick amount of replay value. On Hard this game feels like some fucking barbarian ballet, sweeping and swooping rocket sliding about to the rhythm of the battle in a beautiful symphony of bullets. The flow of this game is just incredible. Never has the simple details of combat been so fun in a third person shooter. There is an obscene amount of ways to tackle each moment, never exhausting its welcome. And with the elaborate score system intricately tracking every bullet and second of your performance, you'll find yourself endlessly replaying to patch that one second you could have done better.

This is actually a lot more like Mirror's Edge in terms of structure then one might guess: the goal isn't to merely get through the campaign like a bloated checklist of chores, it's to fucking master every moment until you're the most brilliant, lightning quick combat dancer known to mankind. You'll be replaying this shit over and over until your hands blister over from the addiction.

In summary, this is the ultimate high octane arcade game for modern consoles. If this was in an arcade, I would have sat glazed eyed in front of the cabinet for days on end, drool slipping out the side of my mouth like a lobotomy patient. With the score system in place, it's just amazingly satisfying... the replay value comes not from the different scenarios in battle, but from the different ways you take down those same scenarios. I can only hope the game catches on with some level of popularity, so that there is some real competition on the leaderboards as it evolves.

SCORE: ****/****

Hellion

Amir0x: said:
There is no story. It's a parody of serious games, the equivalent of a flash screen pulling you along saying "the princess is in another castle." It's hopeful in its production, hinting at the idea that there is more to come, but it is ever in the background, knowing precisely how much value it has.
Yeah... I wish Mikami would have gone the other way with it.

Finished it today. Took me something like 6 hours total over a few days and evenings. I will go back and play through it again on hard.

I was really unsure about the game in the first hour. The mechanics combined with the enemies, combat situations, and pacing just wasn't working right for me. After that first hour though all that dissapeared and the game found its footing and began improving dramatically. By the end it was a clockwork kick ass ride.

I can see why some of the reveiws have been slanted really low. The game is very trial and error when you find a new super robot boss thing to attack. It also is always putting pressure on you but it is doing so to force the player out of their safety shell and take some risks.

If you have not the patience for it you won't like it. Also if you don't finish the game or play enough of it you'll miss why it is so good. I imagine going back to the start knowing the flow of combat I'll have far more fun with the start.

Fimbulvetr said:
Bleh. I've had enough bad-yet-completely-serious writing from LoS, thank you very much.

Lords of Shadow, Metroid Other M, yeah...fuck that shit

honestly, the tone of Bionic Commando and Vanquish aren't that different, but Vanquish manages to walk that fine line where Bionic Commando fell on its face.

Top Bottom