• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Baloonatic said:
Did you get past the demo section? It's a tad easier from then on. Took me like an hour to do that first bit :lol
the suit overheats too danm fast i barely can go anywhere on the battlefield

Ravidrath

bubnbob said:
Not hard t upgrade. But not necessary. If this was your first playthrough, the game will no longer keep track of what levels you finished (you won't get Act 2 achievement).

No, the game keeps track of what statues you've shot (they are red when you find them).

Hmm, sounds like I need to start over then, if I want to get all the Act trophies, then?

Any idea about the no death?

Also, are melee kills tracked across all playthroughs, modes, etc.?

bubnbob

Banned
For some reason replaying a mission while in a playthrough messes with your progress. So you might have to start over, sorry.

For no-death, just go to Title Screen when you die, and hit Continue. You won't get marked as a death and you can try again.

Melee is tracked across playthroughs (similar to Statues)

Cool thing about the last fight:
Once the limiter is taken off, you not only get extended AR and boost, but you can melee without overheating.

Anyway, I got all of the statues. Time to start playing for score, now. :D

Ravidrath said:
Finally, will starting a New Game erase my previous Pangloss kills?
No. Pangloss statues carry over to a new game on any difficulty. Once you get them, you have them permanently.

george_us

Man this game has finally clicked with me and FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU I'm addicted! The awesome aesthetic plus the techno makes for a very hypnotic experience similar to P.N.03. (which was fucking amazing). I also love that fact that enemies aren't fucking damage sponges unless they actually look like enemies would be damage sponges. And I thought the story was pretty straightforward and decent for a video game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MikeE21286 said:
that disc gun was awful. Far and away the worst weapon in the game IMO.

It's very situational. It's an "I Win" button against lone Romanovs. You can get them in a melee loop they can't get out of.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So maybe this was what Ami meant when he described Vanquish as a bullet ballet. I may actually get around to finishing the vid if I can take my hands of the controller long enough. :lol

bubnbob

Banned
SapientWolf said:
So maybe this was what Ami meant when he described Vanquish as a bullet ballet. I may actually get around to finishing the vid if I can take my hands of the controller long enough. :lol

Horrible place to be in Challenge 3, I died so many times doing this. Dash to the immediate other side and hang around there where you can use the crates for cover if necessary, and kite the enemies

Forbiden

burgerdog said:
Beat this earlier today, Bayonetta came out this year, right? Platinum Games /bow.

Depends. Bayonetta technically came out last year, since it was released in Japan.

Either way, it still is a pretty short amount of time between two great games.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
panda21 said:
and its no more or less intrusive imo. i mean do you think RE4 had a good story? or bayonetta? or castlevania:LOS?

Its all about how you present the story and what kind of game is connected to it.
Like I said in my original post about the story a few pages back, RE4, Godhand and Bayonetta
present the story in a far more entertaining way with better characters and is pretty clear from the start what kind of stories they are.

Like everybody said, this type of (Arcade Action) game doenst need to have a "good" story just an entertaining one.

I felt in Vanquish they couldn't decide the story direction between parody or serious and
became this weird mix with uninteresting side characters and yes Bayonetta and RE4 had a better side cast than this game.

Im all in for nonsense, cheesy one liners and parody as long as it is entertaining.
RE4 and Godhand again good examples but this game didn't do it for me.
luckily we can all skip this, so lets shoot stuff instead.

Animator said:
You guys have any tips for double bogeys? One was hard to beat but two of them together just kick my ass :(

You get about a minute before they start coming in with close-range attacks. Use that to hit one with all the rockets you have as well as sniping his ass. You should be able to get him down to about 1/3 life. Then, using cover, when they come near you, dodge their attacks and throw an EMP grenade at them. Attack the shit out of the one you've already damaged. Once you've killed one, you get a checkpoint for the last one.

Bernbaum

Prior to the game I wasn't fussed on the artistic direction for the enemies/weapons/vehicles but after seeing it action, there's some really nice lines in the design. A nice blend of the high tech stylings of MGS2 and the abstract geometry typical of Bayonetta. Neither strictly eastern or western in its influence and everything looks like it comes from the same universe.

I must have been playing it wrong because I walked away from the demo unimpressed. Someone post some vids of amazing shit being done to show me what I was doing wrong.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thunder Monkey said:
I must have been playing it wrong because I walked away from the demo unimpressed. Someone post some vids of amazing shit being done to show me what I was doing wrong.

The only footage I can find is either people playing poorly or of people so good that they're killing dudes before they can even spawn.

To put it simply, you shouldn't be playing the game like Gears of War. You don't find a piece of cover and stay there. Cover is more of something you go into when you need a breather. You should keep moving, lots of evading, use AR mode (bullet time) as much as you can, and always aim for the head.

ZealousD said:
The only footage I can find is either people playing poorly or of people so good that they're killing dudes before they can even spawn.

To put it simply, you shouldn't be playing the game like Gears of War. You don't find a piece of cover and stay there. Cover is more of something you go into when you need a breather. You should keep moving, lots of evading, use AR mode (bullet time) as much as you can, and always aim for the head.
Well damn that's what I was doing.

I've never played Gears. Guess it's not for me then. That blows. For a shooter I thought it looked pretty good.

mattfabb

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V86qygT2x48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqD8jsdCr6M

The first vid shows shotgun approach, the second one rocket launcher. then there is another one that relies on stun grenades thrown even before the enemies appear...

the game can be played as you wish, just be brave and experiment with weapons/tactics.

the worst thing about the reviews is that I am sure none of them actually understand how to play this game...

Just finished my first playthrough in 4:03 according to the ingame clock. The last fight was a bit of a letdown, but otherwise....yeah, can't wait to start my next playthrough.

Empty

not only is the game ridiculously replyable, but it actually gets better with replay. skipping the cutscenes to make it pure action, using my built up skills and knowledge of the set pieces to boss each area. so good.

Just beat it on normal, what an awesome game.
One question, do the trophys like "revive 20 Marines" add when you start a new game? I revived 17 Marines in my first playthrough, so when i revive 3 on hard now, do i get the trophy?

ZealousD said:
It's very situational. It's an "I Win" button against lone Romanovs. You can get them in a melee loop they can't get out of.

Or you can just cut their heads off from afar.

Or you can make those robots with the Gatling gun hands quadriplegic..... and then cut off their heads too.

Tryckser said:
One question, do the trophys like "revive 20 Marines" add when you start a new game?
Yes, they do.

Started my second playthrough on hard and finished the first act. I'm using a lot more grenades, cover and...I'm dying more than I expected. I was a bit too cocky here and there I think, but I'm surely dying some rather unexpected deaths. :lol
Oh, and skipping the cutscenes definitely strengthens the experience.

Amir0x

Banned
SapientWolf said:

Tell me Bullet Ballet doesn't perfectly describe this game :D

What an amazing product. God, I love gaming for exactly this reason. Always something to surprise you after all these years.

[Nintex]

Holy fucking shit wow, I just boosted towards a robot, kicked him the face and send him flying only to do a back flip in slow motion and gun down the enemies behind me. Shinji Mikami sends yet another generation of developers back to the drawing board. Other third person shooters are as boring as taking a shit compared to this one.:lol

Amir0x

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Holy fucking shit wow, I just boosted towards a robot, kicked him the face and send him flying only to do a back flip in slow motion and gun down the enemies behind me. Shinji Mikami sends yet another generation of developers back to the drawing board. Other third person shooters are as boring as taking a shit compared to this one.:lol

he toys with other developers like a cat does its prey. truly a shame if we never see another game that plays like this

if Mikami had a twitter i knew about i would use twitter just that one fucking time to tell him he is the FUCKING MAN

[Nintex]

Amir0x said:
he toys with other developers like a cat does its prey. truly a shame if we never see another game that plays like this

if Mikami had a twitter i knew about i would use twitter just that one fucking time to tell him he is the FUCKING MAN
If Mikami ever gets a twitter, Twitter will be 'over capacity' 24/7 because everyone wants to tell him how awesome he his.

Amir0x

Banned
[Nintex] said:
If Mikami ever gets a twitter, Twitter will be 'over capacity' 24/7 because everyone wants to tell him how awesome he his.

let's hold each other Nintex as we mourn for a future where VANQUISH never gets a sequel :(

Amir0x

Banned
he has two twitters? Which one does he use more often?

Edit: oh one is english cool

Amir0x

@Shinji_Mikami_E Just wanted to say that VANQUISH is the reason I play videogames. It is an epic bullet ballet, shaming other developers.

Done

[Nintex]

Amir0x said:
let's hold each other Nintex as we mourn for a future where VANQUISH never gets a sequel :(
Let's hold each other while we backflip in slow motion :(

Also I just send Mikami this message:
@Shinji_Mikami_E Vanquish is incredible, kicking robots in the face feels so good!

panda21

on the website linked from his twitter they have a ustream page. in tango's office they appear to have a motherfucking walk-in book case. doesnt get any more baller than that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just think about the world where Dark Void gets released but no vanquish.

do you want to go on living? i do not.

Top Bottom