• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Hag

The sad part on Twitter is that everybody thanks KAMIYA for ''making'' Vanquish. You see him replies ''thanks'' a lot for those people. He just give up saying that Mikami make the game. :lol

Shit is so dumb.

Hag said:
The sad part on Twitter is that everybody thanks KAMIYA for ''making'' Vanquish. You see him replies ''thanks'' a lot for those people. He just give up saying that Mikami make the game. :lol

Shit is so dumb.

Bunch of idiots.

This is getting insane. :lol

Empty

Fimbulvetr said:
Bunch of idiots.

This is getting insane. :lol

at first i thought it was the new manifestation of the capcom konami meme, but no, it turns out that lots of people just don't know their genius game developers that well.

Empty said:
at first i thought it was the new manifestation of the capcom konami meme, but no, it turns out that lots of people just don't know their genius game developers that well.

They should fuse into one person named Mikamiya, and then make the greatest action game of forever.

epmode

Empty said:
Mikami's name is on the box, even!

Y2Kev said:
Just think about the world where Dark Void gets released but no vanquish.

do you want to go on living? i do not.

Huh? Why would only one of them see release?

If anything, Dark Void has probably been very close to getting canned or cancelled.

edit: And I liked Dark Void. :(

Empty said:

Gametrailers.com famously uses pictures of Suda51 as Shinji Mikami.

If you search "Shinji Mikami" in google images, there are pictures of Suda51 in there, and I guess a major game website like that can't tell the difference between two Japanese guys.

Fimbulvetr said:
What the hell is a Dark Void?

I think old people take it to help their bowel movement

Scarecrow

I got past the first big boss (the demo one) last night. I feel like I'm playing the game wrong. Is there a good (non spoiler) video out there that shows a skilled person playing the game?

I'm playing Reach, Dead Rising 2 and NBA 2K11 but I feel like the game I really want to be playing is Vanquish. I'll go back to Reach for multiplayer goodness for a long time to come but I don't want to rush DR2 and 2K11. But I want to be playing Vanquish so damn bad.:lol

Koralsky

Delete if old:

"Vanquish first day Japanese sales are in

The first day sales for Vanquish are in and seem rather low. They aren’t a total failure, but I sort of assumed it would beat a Naruto game.

Vanquish PS3: 47,000 units
Vanquish 360: 9,000 units
Hopefully they sell more copies this whole week. For reference, the Naruto game on PS3 sold 72,000 copies and 13,000 on Xbox 360. I guess its too much to outsell a big anime IP like Naruto.

Bayonetta’s first day sales in Japan where much more positive, selling 93,000 on the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version selling 45,000 units. A Bayonetta size hit this game is not, at least in Japan."

Link

Spiegel

Considering we don't get first day sales leaks anymore and the source is a forum poster I'll wait until after we get the first week sales from Media-Create to get depressed.

Animator

This will barely break 100k worldwide first month. I am hoping word of mouth will help it in the long term. I am telling everyone I know to go play the game.

Empty

the word of mouth even on gaf isn't that big, i mean we don't even have a gif and avatar defense force evangelizing the game in every thread.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vanquish is clearly trying to cater to the Western market. I expected it wouldn't do as well as Bayonetta in Japan.

The question is, will it do better than Bayonetta did in the West? At first I thought that would be a sure thing, but I'm not so sure anymore. =/

Numpt3

This game completely slipped by my radar. Saw the demo on xbox live earlier and gave it a shot.

All I can say is that I shall be picking it up tomorrow, game is all kinds of awesome. :D

epmode

I have a dumb question, forum:

I've seen videos where players boost at an enemy and flip kick them, yet they don't immediately overheat. Am I missing something?

epmode said:
I have a dumb question, forum:

I've seen videos where players boost at an enemy and flip kick them, yet they don't immediately overheat. Am I missing something?

If you hold aim during a boost kick(and keep holding it) you can go into AR mode in mid-air before your meter dies.

I've just completed the game after picking it up on Friday here in the UK.

What a truly amazing game! It's criminally fun to play, and the mechanics feel so satisfying... it's very rewarding to play, even when just taking out regular gorgies, yet alone bosses!

I really hope this game does well sales wise because Platinum Games deserve it. This is a new IP with innovative gameplay, outstanding visuals and most importantly of all - a mad fun video game to play, the sort that puts a smile on your face and keeps it there for hours. Amir0x, your review was spot on, and I wholeheartedly agree with you.

This generation has seen countless sequels and tons of games with great production values but terrible gameplay mechanics. This delivers in bucketloads what good games should be about - the gameplay, and the title deserves to be lauded for what it achieves.

I can't wait to see what title Platinum put out next! I'm even excited for Shadows of the Damned, now that Mikami has shown he's still one of the best in the business!

Animator

Just finished in normal mode. Diving straight into hard mode. This is probably the only time in history that I am replaying a game as soon as finishing it and I dont think it will be the last with this game.

By the way it took me around 9 hours for this playthrough.

Oh and quick question. What are the exact rules for upgrading weapons? The Green Cubes upgrade weapons, but if you die in a mission where you upgraded your weapon, you lose the upgrade correct?

Also, sometimes if your weapon has full ammo and you pick up another of that weapon type when you have it equipped, it will upgrade. But sometimes it doesn't! What's the deal here? Does it have something to do with dropping the weapon not allowing an upgrade... I don't fully understand.

Koralsky

Chris1964 said:
How about delete if FAKE?

With pleasure, if the real results are better ;)

Quote from post E3 interview with Sega's Mike Hayes:

You mentioned the massive budgets that go into the Black Ops etc. Although you might not have those budgets readily available, doesn't that help you avoid homogenisation? Bayonetta and Vanquish are not your usual action titles...

That's a very good point. I think a lot of that is driven through how creative the developer is going to be and to an extent the publisher wont get involved in that.

If you've got someone like Platinum Games, who have that that different, quality approach it is an advantage. But of course that is quite difficult to find, especially when you're in a genre that is so well populated.

I think where we sit from a commercial point of view is that the Black Ops, the Gears, the Halos... In terms of the numbers they do they are so phenomenal, but there is a very good market below that.

Obviously there's failure underneath, too - so the good news is whilst Vanquish isn't shown at a Sony or Microsoft E3 show, if we can get enough interest with it, get it to a certain level of sales, then we sequelise it.

Then we start having the confidence to put more money in it and be a bit more experimental and sort of be a bigger production. I think where we're positioned right now with Vanquish is correct, and if we're getting some underground praise for it, that will position us quite nicely.

AvP came from nowhere - a number of other publishers have said they didn't expect that to do as well as it has - so I think if we can do a similar thing with Vanquish, we've got a chance. We won't overly trumpet it until it's out there with the consumer.

If we can release that and sell 1 or 1.5 million units across the US and Europe, that is fantastic. We don't expect to sell five million units - it would be nice, but we manage our expectations on it.

But to your point, yes, you can try and do things slightly differently - but we're in the hands of the developer to give us that inspiration.

Link

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TheGoldenGunman said:
Oh and quick question. What are the exact rules for upgrading weapons? The Green Cubes upgrade weapons, but if you die in a mission where you upgraded your weapon, you lose the upgrade correct?

Also, sometimes if your weapon has full ammo and you pick up another of that weapon type when you have it equipped, it will upgrade. But sometimes it doesn't! What's the deal here? Does it have something to do with dropping the weapon not allowing an upgrade... I don't fully understand.

Picking up a weapon when you have full ammo only does a partial upgrade. You need 3 or 4 partial upgrades for a full upgrade, I can't remember exactly which. An upgrade cube will give you a full upgrade. Think of it like the pieces of hearts vs full hearts in Zelda. On the badges that show up, a star denotes a full upgrade, while the little lines at the bottom show your partial upgrades.

On Hard, dying will knock off one full upgrade from your weapons, but it'll only knock off upgrades once per mission. So if you die over and over again on a certain part, you don't lose all your upgrades. I believe that Normal and Casual don't knock off a full upgrade like Hard does, I think it's just a partial upgrade it knocks off.

ZealousD said:
Picking up a weapon when you have full ammo only does a partial upgrade. You need 3 or 4 partial upgrades for a full upgrade, I can't remember exactly which. An upgrade cube will give you a full upgrade. Think of it like the pieces of hearts vs full hearts in Zelda. On the badges that show up, a star denotes a full upgrade, while the little lines at the bottom show your partial upgrades.

On Hard, dying will knock off one full upgrade from your weapons, but it'll only knock off upgrades once per mission. So if you die over and over again on a certain part, you don't lose all your upgrades. I believe that Normal and Casual don't knock off a full upgrade like Hard does, I think it's just a partial upgrade it knocks off.

Thank you kindly sir! That would indeed explain all the questions I had when playing the game.

[Nintex]

panda21 said:
shit i only just realised its SEGA publishing these games.

whatever it is we want, we're fucked.
With Platinum Games at their side and Inafune having a midlife crisis they're turning into the superior Capcom.

[Nintex] said:
With Platinum Games at their side and Inafune having a midlife crisis they're turning into the superior Capcom.

or Mikami can make his return to Capcom

Mikami: "It's great to be back! can I make God Hand 2 now?"

Capcom: "Actually, we have Silicon Knights working on that."

honestly, Sega can be redeemed of everything if Mikami makes Comix Zone 2 aka God Hand 2.

Top Bottom