• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

I thought the story was fine. I applaud the cinematics director for having a vision and running it all the way to the end. There is some nice animation in there, some great photography. The unrealistic flying cameras drove me nuts but I understand he was trying to show scale.

Yeah, the characters are over the top characatures of icons with gravelly manly voices and the main girl is a typical Robotech style command center fluffy bunny of a girl. It is silly but it was shot silly and acted silly and the plot is silly.

It is the Torque of video games.

Linkzg said:
Lords of Shadow, Metroid Other M, yeah...fuck that shit

honestly, the tone of Bionic Commando and Vanquish aren't that different, but Vanquish manages to walk that fine line where Bionic Commando fell on its face.

I find it ironic that Bayonetta actually ended up having a better story than quite a few games this year. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat it. I give it the baby/10.

or 10/10

Fimbulvetr said:
I find it ironic that Bayonetta actually ended up having a better story than quite a few games this year. :lol

maybe better than like other m. i really thought it was completely incomprehensible. I actually skipped the ending. i have never ever skipped an ending. the game's level progression was also totally crazy to me. i had no idea why i was doing what i was doing like 90% of the time.

but who cares, cuz its bayonetta

but while bayonetta was at least cheeky and...in english, other m was nothing good.

Bernbaum

Animator said:
holy SHIT just fought the unknown. Best enemy of all times imo.
Fuck yes.

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but
the reveal for the Unknown the second time you fight one, OMG! You enter a room where some robots are chilling out to a stereo (that doubles as one of those barrier-transforming robots), you take out the robots, and then a slow trickle of junk robot parts start to pour in from the ceiling. Wasn't sure whether it was just debris falling back down the robot fight, or if I'm in a trash compactor or WAIT OH SHIT RED ORB IT'S ANOTHER UNKNOWN OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK!

Such a delightful moment.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I just punched the fuck out of a giant robots head
:lol :lol so awesome!

Foffy

Banned
Gosh, so many of the achievements are cleverly named that I can't help but laugh at the ones I keep getting. The references they make bring a smile to my face. I think one referenced Animaniacs of all things :lol

Also, I'm up to Chapter 3, so how much more of the game do I have left? I hope a lot. :D

Zeliard

Isn't the new Castlevania supposed to be surprisingly great? Haven't played it myself yet. Heard it's a technical mess though. Silly consoles. ;p

Amir0x said:
it's like arguing which type of dog shit is more smelly than the other

That's kinda my joke; considering three of those games get praised by some reviewers(and posters on this forum) for good writing.

Zeliard said:
Isn't the new Castlevania supposed to be surprisingly great? Haven't played it myself yet. Heard it's a technical mess though. Silly consoles. ;p

It's a good game.

Especially considering the developer.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Whatever, chesire. bayonetta might have more cutscenes than ffxiii anyway

Bernbaum said:
Fuck yes.

the reveal for the Unknown the second time you fight one, OMG! You enter a room where some robots are chilling out to a stereo (that doubles as one of those barrier-transforming robots), you take out the robots, and then a slow trickle of junk robot parts start to pour in from the ceiling. Wasn't sure whether it was just debris falling back down the robot fight, or if I'm in a trash compactor or WAIT OH SHIT RED ORB IT'S ANOTHER UNKNOWN OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK!

The game is full of stuff like this. Mikami and team know they're good. The game is self-aware in that sense. Vanquish knows it's good-- it doesn't have to try so hard. It just feels so natural and well considered.

all I remember about the Bayonetta story was that Fly Me to the Moon played like a billion times

I kept thinking "what is it with the Japanese and this song?" because it was also used a lot in Evangelion

Zeliard

Fimbulvetr said:
It's a good game.

Especially considering the developer.

I actually have the PS3 version in from Gamefly, but I haven't cracked it open yet. Fallout is taking up my time. Only reason I haven't messed with Vanquish yet.

Stagger these kinda releases. :(

Foffy

Banned
Zeliard said:

It's good, but the story falls into the typical Castlevania pit of predictable twists and a plot that seems pretty awful when everything is all said and over.

Don't know about the DLC, which is apparently
going to focus on the return to Carmilla's castle.
Maybe it can be interesting, story wise.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
Fuck yes.

yes yes yes

It's so weird. You think it's a just a quick side-track of a room
thanks to the music and the dancing robots and its small size, and then shit just goes silent and all you hear are the parts falling in.

I don't know whether creepy is the right word to describe it. It was just something really different and damn cool.

Forbiden

Foffy said:
Gosh, so many of the achievements are cleverly named that I can't help but laugh at the ones I keep getting. The references they make bring a smile to my face. I think one referenced Animaniacs of all things :lol

The one reference in the entire game that brought a BIG smile to my face was the Starship Trooers(or at least that's where I know it from) one from Burnes at the beginning of the game.

Zeliard said:
I actually have the PS3 version in from Gamefly, but I haven't cracked it open yet. Fallout is taking up my time. Only reason I haven't messed with Vanquish yet.

Stagger these kinda releases. :(

Play it before Vanquish. The controls are so responsive in this game that playing as Gabriel immediately after will be sad.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I found lots to be sad about with LoS prior to even touching Vanquish, although I seem to be mostly alone there. It had some pretty backdrops though!

Anyway, I just beat it. I'd love to gush for paragraphs on end, but there is little else I can add here, most of you have already nailed it. Vanquish is absurd fun, its combat is head and shoulders above everything else in the genre. I was always thrilled, constantly brutalized (went straight to hard mode - as should everybody), and am about to start right up again and tackle God Hard. I will be eviscerated, but I will love every minute of it.

First or third person, this is my favorite shooter this gen. Yes.

2naver5.jpg

I only wish I could play custom soundtracks like it says on the back of my PS3 case. :(:(:(

Minamu

Amir0x said:
VANQUISH is a game designed around the idea that combat isn't about getting to the next stage, but about the act of killing. Here is a system which celebrates the art of taking down an enemy with almost religious fervor,
Great review, but that is fucking disturbing :lol Action games are awesome but that stuff just makes me uncomfortable :S

*zavvi have finally shipped the game :D*

Shurs

Minamu said:
Great review, but that is fucking disturbing :lol Action games are awesome but that stuff just makes me uncomfortable :S

You kill robots.

Amir0x

Banned
Minamu said:

It's not that it's excessively violent, it's just that it LOVES the whole idea of game killing. It's an elaborate flurry of cool ass ways to kill things (robots in this case) :lol

messing with the dlc weapons, I really think the pistol and laser beam should have been in the main game.

The pistol is really great and the laser is just a different type of weapon that adds some different strategy to how you play.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I adore Crystal Viper. The last boss fight
without inhibitors
is epic, but god damn do I love Crystal Viper.

Bernbaum

I feel so sorry for people who will never experience this game. Even non-gamers like my Grandma. Lawn bowls aint got shit on AR mode.

Minamu

Hehe I know they're robots but still. It's not just this game, it's more this industry's weird fascination with different kinds of murder :S If there's one thing that can make one understand outsiders' view of us, it's this, imho. It's a bit creepy how easy it is for the games industry to monetize murder and mayhem in one form or another, is all :)

Anyway, it's 5am and I'm writing for an exam about Fallout 3 :lol Should probably drop this :p

Minamu

Fimbulvetr said:
True enough, but this industry seems to have even less qualms about it. And honestly, our beloved interactivity is also our Achilles' heel when it comes to this subject, whether or not it affects us psychologically. Violence is a huge corner stone of this business, and while movies etc also thrive on it, mainstream video games surely have taken it to an extreme, yes? :S I can't help but feel sometimes that we're stuck in a rut. I hope I'm just overthinking this subject, but I doubt it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Minamu said:
True enough, but this industry seems to have even less qualms about it. And honestly, our beloved interactivity is also our Achilles' heel when it comes to this subject, whether or not it affects us psychologically. Violence is a huge corner stone of this business, and while movies etc also thrive on it, mainstream video games surely have taken it to an extreme, yes? :S I can't help but feel sometimes that we're stuck in a rut. I hope I'm just overthinking this subject, but I doubt it.

It's inherent in the medium.

Every good story relies on conflict. That's storytelling 101. Whether it's physical conflict, emotional conflict, or whatever.

But you can't really make emotional conflict interactive. Physical conflict via violence is the easiest way to make fun interactivity. Now certainly, there's a wide spectrum of violence you can have. From Super Mario Brothers to Manhunt. But violence in games is never going to go away.

Animator

Does anyone like the disc gun? It is the only one that seems useless to me. It does shit damage to everything and has a mind of its own when its flying around.

I think my favorite is the fully upgraded assault rifle so far, that thing cuts like hot knife through butter against everything.

leng jai

Animator said:
Does anyone like the disc gun? It is the only one that seems useless to me. It does shit damage to everything and has a mind of its own when its flying around.

I think my favorite is the fully upgraded assault rifle so far, that thing cuts like hot knife through butter against everything.

Only thing I use it for is to slice up some Romanovs.

Baloonatic said:
Did you get past the demo section? It's a tad easier from then on. Took me like an hour to do that first bit :lol

Just wait until you get to some of the later sections. There are fights later on that make the demo area look like a Kirby stage. This game is preeetty fucking tough on God Hard. It's about as hard as Master Ninja in NG2, imo.

I just played the
train section
at the beginning of Act 2 and I'm just in awe. That may have been one of the sections I've ever played in a videogame.

Animator said:

that disc gun was awful. Far and away the worst weapon in the game IMO.

Animator said:

Do you not melee with it? That thing is AMAZING in close quarters. I've pulled off some badass triple melee into slowdown moments.

Ravidrath

So I replayed mission 2-2 to get some Pangloss statues, and all my weapons reset...

How hard is it to fully upgrade a weapon? Is there any reason I should start over?

So far I haven't died... this didn't ruin that, did it?

Finally, will starting a New Game erase my previous Pangloss kills?

Fimbulvetr said:

They are robots afterall.

Video games are based on things being alive or dead because it is inherint to bits, they are either on or off. If they are on they are alive, off if they are dead. Blowing stuff up was very easy to program and it has stuck due to people making it popular, not the "industry". If people didn't like it no one would make them.

bubnbob

Banned
Ravidrath said:
So I replayed mission 2-2 to get some Pangloss statues, and all my weapons reset...

How hard is it to fully upgrade a weapon? Is there any reason I should start over?

So far I haven't died... this didn't ruin that, did it?

Finally, will starting a New Game erase my previous Pangloss kills?

Not hard t upgrade. But not necessary. If this was your first playthrough, the game will no longer keep track of what levels you finished (you won't get Act 2 achievement).

No, the game keeps track of what statues you've shot (they are red when you find them).

Top Bottom