• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

DenogginizerOS said:
I just ordered the PS3 version from Amazon. Got it for $8.30 after $40 in credit.

Now, I have a slight problem. I have Bayonetta coming in the mail as well (X360). What do I play first? A nice problem to have methinks.

Vanquish

Bayonetta has a slightly more tolerable story and a crazy battle system, but Vanquish is a lot more accessible (dare I say
easier
?). I got very frustrated at many points with Bayonetta, but with Vanquish I felt like I had a million tools at my disposal to stand a chance against whatever was thrown against me.

JoeFenix

I hate 4-2 on God Hard, those BIAs are hell, I can't figure out a consistent way to deal with them and they show up right at the end of the chapter.

It feels like I would need to get lucky and get rockets from crates, I use the LFE gun to stun them but they always find a way to dick me over. So frustrating!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
TheGoldenGunman said:
Actually even though Vanquish is a truly exceptional game, I actually hope that we don't see a sequel to it. Why? Because Platinum Games are IMO the best in the business at creating *new* gameplay mechanics and original content, and I'd be more hyped to see what they come up with next, as opposed to creating a sequel for an existing title.

This generation is pretty much the generation of sequels. Publishers play it safe and stick to existing IP that they know will sell as opposed to backing innovative games that offer something new. PG I feel are an exception to this rule, and although their games may sometimes borrow elements from other genres, the innovation they put into their titles makes them stand out all the more.

I kind of have them pegged as a developer like Treasure, in that if they would make a sequel, it would really expand upon the game mechanics of the original as opposed to being the same game, new levels. Like Sin and Punishment 2 and Bangai-O spirits.

Other than that I agree I'd like to see more original games first, but if they ever did a sequel to any of their existing games, I'd want it to be Vanquish no contest.(Madworld is kind of a dead end concept and Bayonetta is already a pretty refined product from their work on DMC at capcom.)

TreIII

slaughterking said:
That's because literally nobody gave a shit about Beast Hunter, not even SEGA.

True. But again, these are new IPs that they're trying to market. Not mention that unusual odds are placed against them. For Bayo, it was a delay of the Western version + a bad PS3 port; for Vanquish, it was being marketed around the same time that pretty much every big Fall release stands to come out.

For Bayonetta and Vanquish to have seemingly done well enough to meet Sega's expectations is something that I think is a good thing.

Liberty4all

Banned
Animator said:
I cannot disagree more with your longevity assesment.

4 hours -5 tops is just wrong to start with. And the game has tons of replay value built into challenges, and trying to get a better rank\rime in every level. And more importantly because it is incredibly fun and does not get boring on repeat play, in fact it gets better.

Saying this game has no longevity makes me question if you guys actually played the game or just sped through it so you can get your review out there.

Fair enough. Again I didn't actually handle this review myself, I'm just the guy who distributes review copies out to staff.

Was curious to see what you guys thought about the game .... I think Blake's longevity score was based on a "from start to finish" point of view rather than looking at score attack replay value. Personally I think this was a bad call on his part (I'm assuming based on what you guys are saying Vanguish operates kind of like "The Club" in terms of scoring, chain combo's and speed runs through the game?).

Bottom line everyone has different feelings as to what constitutes "longevity" ... Personally I can see the replay value in a game that focuses on score runs, but other reviewers may see this as an excuse for a lack of content.

Really though take all reviews (including ours) with a grain of salt. My personal opinion is that gaming journalism consists mostly of enthusiasts whose opinion is worth about as much as the next guy's.

Bamelin said:
Fair enough. Again I didn't actually handle this review myself, I'm just the guy who distributes review copies out to staff.

Was curious to see what you guys thought about the game .... I think Blake's longevity score was based on a "from start to finish" point of view rather than looking at score attack replay value. Personally I think this was a bad call on his part (I'm assuming based on what you guys are saying Vanguish operates kind of like "The Club" in terms of scoring, chain combo's and speed runs through the game?).

Bottom line everyone has different feelings as to what constitutes "longevity" ... Personally I can see the replay value in a game that focuses on score runs, but other reviewers may see this as an excuse for a lack of content.

Really though take all reviews (including ours) with a grain of salt. My personal opinion is that gaming journalism consists mostly of enthusiasts whose opinion is worth about as much as the next guy's.
Personally I think the problem is a the slow death of writers voices and the lack reviews having multiple opinions from different people. That's why I cherished EGM soo much.....

bnuu1u1qxjzoduqcy.jpg

Yay, I wont comment on the difficulty, but I liked the view when I was browsing through the rankings. :lol

Finally got my Zavvi pre-order this afternoon. Not had time to get far this evening, but I just played the first challenge level. Did badly on my first go and... I've got the 17th fastest time on the Xbox 360 version. So yeah, not many people playing this game, sadly.

Just beat challenge 6. Pretty intense challenge, for sure. Now I just need to clean up some random achievements, collect a billion statues, and I'll have my 1000/1000. :D

It's fairly tough, but none of the waves are wtfffffff hard like some areas of God Hard. It's more about consistency, I think. I'd say wave 4 is the hardest (blue RIs, two BFAs, two flying turrets).

Wave 5 isn't too bad if you're prepared with EMP grenades, the LFE gun, and maybe some rockets (I will say that I fired 6 rockets and the bogies and 5 of them missed :| ).

Do you have to beat the rest of the challenges to unlock challenge 6?

I beat Challenge 5 first to see if it unlocked challenge 6, but I had no luck there

leng jai

Are these statues in ultra obscure spots or what? I've finished the game and only found about 10...not that I was actively looking for them though.

panda21

enemy variation is a bit meh actually now :S

too many romanovs.

maybe i;m playing it too slow or something but by now i'd have liked to see a few more new things than just romanovs that shoot different stuff. only on chapter 3 though

i tend to die by doing something stupid, not so much because of hard enemies being around.

that scorpion monster thing was kind of baller though, whatever those are.

iconoclast said:
It's fairly tough, but none of the waves are wtfffffff hard like some areas of God Hard. It's more about consistency, I think. I'd say wave 4 is the hardest (blue RIs, two BFAs, two flying turrets).

Wave 5 isn't too bad if you're prepared with EMP grenades, the LFE gun, and maybe some rockets (I will say that I fired 6 rockets and the bogies and 5 of them missed :| ).

Congrats on the Challenge 6 clear man. All that work on God Mode seems to have toughened the shit out of you.

Were the last two Bogies that much easier on challenge 6 because you have stable cover?

Some guy is saying that on Challenge 6 you should only fire rockets when the Bogies are in the air doing a long-range attack.

leng jai

Volcynika said:
My copy of the OST shipped this morning from Play-Asia. Fuck if I know when I'll actually get it though. :lol

Dude look what you did. I just pulled the trigger on the OST from Play-Asia with Fedex shipping. They only had 2 copies left as well, one after my purchase.

adversesolutions said:
Congrats on the Challenge 6 clear man. All that work on God Mode seems to have toughened the shit out of you.

Were the last two Bogies that much easier on challenge 6 because you have stable cover?

Some guy is saying that on Challenge 6 you should only fire rockets when the Bogies are in the air doing a long-range attack.

There's actually not a ton of cover to stay behind, most of the time you're going to be boosting and rolling in order to avoid their attacks. The main difference is, the first bogey you kill has very low health, and since the challenges take place on normal difficulty (I assume), you can make use of the ARS to do a lot of damage quickly. So you're basically going into ARS and shooting the blue bogey until it's nearly depleted, then you spend the rest of the time boosting and rolling until your meter refills. And thankfully you can actually take some hits here and there; it's not like God Hard where you get touched once and you're probably fucked.

About the rockets, yeah that's what I was doing. It always worked for me when I was fighting them on 5-3, but for some reason it would always miss them by an inch during the challenge. Just some bad luck/timing I guess.

Volcynika

leng jai said:
Dude look what you did. I just pulled the trigger on the OST from Play-Asia with Fedex shipping. They only had 2 copies left as well, one after my purchase.

:lol

I chose economy box (I've never had a problem other than waiting) on it. Good you got a copy though :D

mjemirzian said:
Oh boy.. going to take out DOOM and Hibachi next?;)

At the same time!

Okay, back to collecting worthless statues. I wish developers would stop putting tons of collectibles into their game that are good for nothing but achievements.

d0c_zaius

Just wanted to say the game is awesome.

The demo didnt grab me, and I was trying to play the game too traditionally.

But midway through the 2nd chapter and I can say without a doubt that the game is a well crafted, amazing experience.

JoeFenix

Finaly beat the top score on 4-2, that chapter doesn't have much wiggle room for scoring. It's also insanely hard to run through perfectly, so damn glad that's over with! :D

leng jai

Volcynika said:
:lol

I chose economy box (I've never had a problem other than waiting) on it. Good you got a copy though :D

Yeah I didn't realise it was out today, lucky you mentioned it or I probably would have missed out. I went for Fedex because I had a few other things together with it and the difference between that and economy box was $4.

JoeFenix

biosnake20 said:
whats gafs general consensus of this game? im not sure if i should get it. Is it long and is there any type of multipleyer?

It's a good length (6-7 hours) but the value comes from replaying it, the whole game is designed around that.

No multiplayer other than leaderboards, definitely not that kind of game.

There's also a cool challenge mode that is somewhat comparable to RE's mercenaries mode, kind of a gauntlet where you fight hordes of enemies.

The core gameplay is so good but it seems not everyone gets it, try the demo a couple of times to see if you click with it.

d0c_zaius said:
Just wanted to say the game is awesome.

The demo didnt grab me, and I was trying to play the game too traditionally.

But midway through the 2nd chapter and I can say without a doubt that the game is a well crafted, amazing experience.

I had the same experience. I played the demo and was like "eh, it's cool, I'll pick it up", but it was about Chapter 2 when I realized how special this game truly is. Probably GotY for me.

adversesolutions said:
I had the same experience. I played the demo and was like "eh, it's cool, I'll pick it up", but it was about Chapter 2 when I realized how special this game truly is. Probably GotY for me.

whoa goty? really?

d0c_zaius

adversesolutions said:

Was it during the
train level?

The little gimmick it does really goes a long way in making it feel really entertaining and unique, and trust me I know my train levels :lol .

Also at first, I was really dissing the basic enemy design. But playing it on hard, where any one can kill you if you get too lazy, and those little purple guys really start to show some personality and depth. And how funny is it to be trained to KILL PURPLE ANYTHING when slo-mo is on.

It may be too "hand holding", but a flushed out tutorial/ challenge mode that presented different situations/AR usage would go a long way in giving the user an impression on how the game is meant to be played before the first act begins.

If it keeps going the way it is, it will definitely be a GOTY contender for me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think, overall, Bayonetta was the better experience.

Llyranor

Finished Act 2. Amazing game. What a fantastic insane fast-paced experience. Excellent pacing as well. Boost boost shoot shoot ARS shoot boost evade ARS shoot shoot boost ARS shoot evade boost boost melee evade cover shoot boost ARS shoot maaaaaaaan.

This will rank very highly on my GOTY list as well, possibly at the very top. Between this and Bayonetta, Platinum is quickly turning into my favorite dev. Maybe I should wipe the dust off Infinite Space :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
leng jai said:
Are these statues in ultra obscure spots or what? I've finished the game and only found about 10...not that I was actively looking for them though.

They are. Some of them are very far out and not easily visible unless you're scoping with a sniper rifle. There's even one that's actually not directly visible, it's hiding in a random dumpter that you have to know to melee.

Llyranor said:
This will rank very highly on my GOTY list as well, possibly at the very top. Between this and Bayonetta, Platinum is quickly turning into my favorite dev. Maybe I should wipe the dust off Infinite Space :p

No no.

No need. :lol

JoeFenix

The only thing I didn't like about Bayonetta was that the leaderboards were broken because of the killgore glitch. That really sucked because I love that kinda shit in action games.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Rez said:
I think, overall, Bayonetta was the better experience.

I agree, but that's easy for me to say: Bayo is my favorite game, period. In almost any other year Vanquish would be tops for me.

That Platinum pumped these two games out back to back is absolutely insane though.

Just got through chapter two, I really can't rave enough about this game. Inverting the traditional cover mechanic was friggin' brilliant. The first time I boosted out of cover into a slow motion rocket sledding death ballad was a Colonel Kurtz 'diamond bullet through the head' moment. "The genius of that!"

ARS suit is fun and tactical, you're always dealing with questions of time, precision, pay load and vulnerability, and all at a break neck pace. It incentivises risky play but there's a healthy check on recklessness. It's hard to put a finger on the balance they achieved here but it's pretty consistent I think. I rarely feel cheated (hard mode). Even the goofy ammo/upgrade system grew on me after awhile. Every little design decision seems thoughtfully considered and complementary throughout the whole. Really solid stuff.

I don't know if it ruins Uncharted/GoW gameplay but any world without rocket sledding is now a world left wanting.

d0c_zaius

"I think I'm getting good at falling out of transports"

"I think you are gettting good at looking like an asshole"

:lol :lol so good

d0c_zaius said:
"I think I'm getting good out of falling out of transports"

"I think you are gettting good at looking like an asshole"

:lol :lol so good

One of the few lines in an action game that made me chuckle.

Top Bottom