• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Just got my 1000/1000. I did my statue run on casual, and I managed to get the #1 spot on the leaderboards by the end with a 539190 score. King of the casuals, baby. :smug

Now it's time to take a break from this game for a while. This is my GotY though, without question. I thought for sure nothing would top SSF4, but I was wrong. This is also far and away the best TPS ever created, in my opinion. Nothing else comes close.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, cool! I was just playing the end of Act 3 last night, and could have sworn I saw his name above one of the friendly soldier's heads :D

Dyno

Game just simply kicks ass. The gameplay is off the charts. The weapon upgrade system (not that it seems to do much) is perverse: the weapon you want to upgrade the most is the weapon you must use the least.

Only one issue: Act 1, Scene 6 - I believe it's called The Dark - is a full-on stolen scene from Gears of War 2. You stand in front of the transport while it goes through the tunnel, lighting your way with it's highbeams. Then little exploding critters come out.

They must have really, really loved that scene.

desu

Did anyone here buy the "steelbook" edition. I got mine today and its ... normal edtion with the 3d paper sleeve ...

Did they send me the wrong edition or is the "steelbook" just that paper sleeve (which would be a huge rip off...).

Demirichris

Neo Member
This will most likely be my goty. Sin and Punishment II and Bayonetta are probably tied for second.

Though I really enjoyed Bayonetta and overall I find it to be a more "complete" game than Vanquish, there is a certain magic to Vanquish that I haven't felt in a long time. Sin and Punishment is a perfect Arcade Shooter, but I think Vanquish takes that fun and brings it to the AAA realm.

The enemy design, weapons, bosses and set pieces are completely unrivaled this generation. While some games may have any one of those things a little better than Vanquish...Vanquish does them all in such a way that makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

I joked to a friend last night that Cliffy B must be pretty stressed knowing that Gears 3 has to follow Vanquish.

Demirichris said:
I joked to a friend last night that Cliffy B must be pretty stressed knowing that Gears 3 has to follow Vanquish.
Gears 3 doesn't have to be like Vanquish to be a great game. I would hate to see other developers replicate Vanquish in every way.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Demirichris said:

Trust me. He's not too concerned.

Demirichris

Neo Member
Well, it's more of a point for me on the gameplay. I couldn't imagine going back to play gears after playing vanquish. The lumbering around waiting for something to poke it's head out, would get old quick I imagine.

"he's not worried"

My friend had the same response though...haha.

Demirichris said:
Well, it's more of a point for me on the gameplay. I couldn't imagine going back to play gears after playing vanquish. The lumbering around waiting for something to poke it's head out, would get old quick I imagine.
All you would really need to change is the AI. If it's really aggressive, you won't have to deal with encounters where the enemy or player functions like a turtle. A majority of the time you're dealing with enemies that try to stay alive. That's not really the case with Vanquish, though. Being robots, the enemies are only there to kill you. Halo: Reach has a nice blend between the two. The enemies you face are incredibly smart, and they're always trying to survive.

I like how miserable the God Hard total rankings are looking.

bnvlysegakm5gaupe.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
practice02 said:
Am I the only one who sees a contradiction in this statement?

Only if you think sequels need to be more of the same.

desu said:
Did anyone here buy the "steelbook" edition. I got mine today and its ... normal edtion with the 3d paper sleeve ...

Did they send me the wrong edition or is the "steelbook" just that paper sleeve (which would be a huge rip off...).
Did you get it from GAME? I think someone else in this thread had the same problem and contacted GAME about it. They're sending them a steelbook replacement.

rvy

Banned
Holyshittrippinballsawesome.gif

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST! GOTY!

eLZhi said:
Did you get it from GAME? I think someone else in this thread had the same problem and contacted GAME about it. They're sending them a steelbook replacement.
That would be me. Ordered a steelbook, got a regular one w/lenticular cover. They're correcting this and my game has already been shipped, should be here Friday.
Talk to them about it, they'll correct the mistake.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fimbulvetr said:
He's one of the 3 soldiers being shocked in Act 1 Mission 4.

He's F. Kennedy, not L. Kennedy. Still an obvious reference, but a little more subtle.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
adversesolutions said:
Speaking of debugging, I think the whole QA team should take a bow. Didn't encounter a single bug the whole way through a very complex game.

I encountered one

I fell through the floor during the jamming laser boss in act 2

it was on my first run where I didn't care about deaths so it wasn't too bad

but I was surprised Sam had a falling death animation. I was like "how the hell can you fall off cliffs in this game" since I hadn't done the bridge yet:lol

Only happened once and I had no idea how it occurred

desu

eLZhi said:

Nah from gameplay.co.uk, just wanted to make sure this is not supposed to be the "steelbook" edition.

mattfabb

Banned
I think Saurian (the guy who did the Bayonetta Guide) is the man behind the Vanquish guide:

http://www.opensenses.com/discussion/vanquish

Amazingly, he does not rate the game as much as Bayonetta/God Hand/Viewtiful Joe, because the combo system is non-existent.

I am actually surprised he does not like the game so much, I like it much better than Bayo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
practice02 said:
Am I the only one who sees a contradiction in this statement?
Eurogamer ran an article on this and the final reported time is not exactly correct.

They recorded their complete run of the game and it lasted almost 9 hours while the game clock reported something like 4 hours 30 minutes.

Davedough

So I only just started playing this game last night and got to the first boss,
the Argus Robot I believe
. Holy fucking Christ was that an epic battle. I've never felt such an adrenaline rush for so long in any fight in a game. I cant stand the fact that I'm here at work and not at home playing.

Soooo many games just got added to my growing backlog until I feel I'm done with this one.

54-46!

My first playthrough (I picked Hard right away):

PTngn.jpg

Pretty terrible :lol I died 37 times on the final mission because of plain stupidity..

congrats to Iconoclast! i went through casual the other day just to blast through it and WAS number 1...

oh well, i was king of casual AND hard mode for a few days

i honestly wonder how many "normal" games would flip out over this game. it's just a shame noone is going to try it out

Dever

Banned
Part 3 of Challenge 4, after dying dozens of times on parts 1 & 2, is a good time to find out that the Unknown has a move that can kill in you in one hit. Awesome. :lol

leng jai

dark10x said:
Eurogamer ran an article on this and the final reported time is not exactly correct.

They recorded their complete run of the game and it lasted almost 9 hours while the game clock reported something like 4 hours 30 minutes.

I must be really bad or slow, my play time on hard was 8 hours 18 minutes :s

Animator

quinntendopower said:
that f'ing unknown grabbed me at least 10 times right through the cover... really frustrating

This is going to sound crazy but...maybe you should stop hiding in cover against him?

Defunkled

Has this game made anyone else want to go back and play other Platinum/Clover Studio games? I'm on a huge kick right now and I'm running around town trying to track down Okami and Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2. The sad part is that at one point I had all of these games but I'm an IDIOT and sold them...at least I still have God Hand.

quinntendopower said:
that f'ing unknown grabbed me at least 10 times right through the cover... really frustrating

Why are you using cover against an enemy deliberately designed to have bad aim with long ranged attacks?

Just dodgeroll.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Defunkled said:
Has this game made anyone else want to go back and play other Platinum/Clover Studio games? I'm on a huge kick right now and I'm running around town trying to track down Okami and Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2. The sad part is that at one point I had all of these games but I'm an IDIOT and sold them...at least I still have God Hand.

It would if I hadn't already played most of them.

I'll probably go and finally finish VJ2 though if Hard Corps isnt out by the time I put this to rest

either that or finally buy demon's souls

I'll buy it when it goes on sale next week. Good thing about games like these is although I know I'll love it, I openly suck at this type of game, so it'll take me 8-10 hours to accomplish what the rest of you are doing in 5-6.

Top Bottom