• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Chopperman said:
Oh so it still counts deaths when you just hit "restart" in the pause menu?
Still counts deaths. Just went for that trophy and died once. Restarted and went on to beat the game. No trophy.

EDIT: Never mind. Selecting Restart is fine. Just didn't get the trophy till after the credits.

iconoclast said:

Thanks. I need a break for today, I've barely even touched the challenges. My head needs to recover before I smash it through another concrete wall (figuratively speaking of course).

So what eventually made the difference in the final boss battle? Give us a blow by blow if you've got time.

adversesolutions said:
So what eventually made the difference in the final boss battle? Give us a blow by blow if you've got time.

I'll spoiler tag this to be on the safe side:

EMP grenades are clutch. As soon as the fight starts, I run up to cover and wait for the blue bogey to attack. If he throws his grenades, I aim slightly above his head so I can still damage him and destroy the nades as they're thrown. If I miss one, roll out, ARS, and shoot it down. If he shoots his lasers, I peak out from the cover just enough so I can shoot him, but remain safe at the same time. That's when I unload a full clip of AR, reload, full clip of HMG, reload. That'll stun him and knock him to the ground for a moment, so you can unload another clip into him. All of that together is about 15-20% damage, I'd say.

From there, the cover is going to be dropping in the next 5-10 seconds, so I'm getting ready to hope over it and run to the 2 blocks and wall right in front of the spawn. Now the blue bogey will fly under the map, and emerge from the hole in the center 7-10 seconds later. He'll be open again, but at this point the cover will be shifting again and most of the time the red bogey will be rushing you down - which is a HUGE pain in the ass. But anyway, from there I run over to one of the areas on the side of the spawn (near the rocket), with the three walls. Now, what's clutch here, is waiting for the blue bogey to rush you. If he gets nears you, EMP nade the wall and you can shotgun him twice in the dome. He'll pop up and try to melee, but you can roll back and throw another EMP nade at the floor, and repeat.

Now once you run out of nades, you need to safely move to one of the other EMP spawns on the map. There's one on the north side of the map, and one to the west, right next to the rocket launcher. So if you can stun them with all 9 grenades, the shotgun blasts should be enough to kill him as long as you've done decent damage at the start with your machine guns. Of course, sometimes they WON'T be chasing you, so you need to be behind cover, safe from all of their attacks.

I think using that strategy you could have a decent success rate, but of course the problem is execution since their AI has them moving all over the god damn place at all times.

Once one bogey is down, you're all set. The last one will be a joke since 1) you get a checkpoint, and 2) every weapon on the stage respawns. And 3) NO FUCKEN LIMITERS

I hope that makes sense. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Curufinwe said:
You beat God Hard without dying once? Holy shit.

If you choose "restart" instead of "checkpoint", it won't count your deaths. Of course, you have to start that mission over again, which is a pain, but it's not like he never died.

Llyranor

Just finished Act 1 on normal. Awesome stuff. Died a few times, took about 1h30 :lol :lol There was more content to it than I thought as well, what with people complaining about the game being too short. This should last me a while, love the fast-paced gameplay.

I'm on 4-5 now but 4-4 is RIDICULOUS. 3 of those drill Romanovs with 5 snipers firing at you followed by one of those drill tanks with the same snipers and 3 of the blue flying melee bastards. Took forever. Death penalty was something like 120,000 :lol

I am terrible at this.

So if you go back to the title screen and then choose continue then it doesn't count your deaths?

You might as well select continue on the death screen, there's no point in having a 0 deaths stat if you actually died.

Baloonatic said:
So if you go back to the title screen and then choose continue then it doesn't count your deaths?

You might as well select continue on the death screen, there's no point in having a 0 deaths stat if you actually died.

Points.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Animator said:
No, pick continue like a man and have your deaths counted. He is not fooling anybody with the 0 deaths stat.

I don't think he's trying to fool anyone

digita1alchemy said:

Sure, but now the only way anyone can beat that score is by doing the same thing :lol If they don't know the trick then it seems a bit unfair.

I'm not the sort of person who tries to be at the top of leaderboards so I guess it doesn't affect me. Just completing God Hard is good enough.

Animator said:
No, pick continue like a man and have your deaths counted. He is not fooling anybody with the 0 deaths stat.

Dude are you being serious?

I just no-deathed it on Casual mode, which is extremely easy, and got the achievement. That's a lot easier than doing God Hard and switching out to the main menu every time you die (hundreds of times).

Point is conditions for the achievement were set that way.

Beezy

Animator said:
Damn right. I just died to that bogey fucker like 300 times, my score is like minus one and a half million. :lol
Bayonetta was the same way. Not his fault that you didn't know how to manipulate the game.

Fuck, I thought I had fooled the world with my devious plan to have 0 deaths on God Hard. Now I have been exposed.

But seriously, that trick has been around since Bayonetta was released. The only way Platinum couldn't know about it is if they were completely oblivious to their fanbase. And that would also mean they should hire better testers.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Animator said:
Damn right. I just died to that bogey fucker like 300 times, my score is like minus one and a half million. :lol

This makes your anger sound alot more reasonable :lol

Animator

Beezy said:
Bayonetta was the same way. Not his fault that you didn't know how to manipulate the game.

I guess tongue in cheek posting doesn't really come across in text. I am not mad at him or angry I was joking. You can disassemble the non legit score defence force.

iconoclast said:
Yeah, DO NOT go back and redo a mission. It will screw over your total progress. When I was still on 2-5, I went and replayed a mission via the mission select menu, and doing so erases your total score, essentially. So I restarted my run from the beginning and improved some of my scores along the way, which explains how my stats were going up.

But yeah, brace yourself for the final boss...
It does warn you that this will happen.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
practice02 said:
It does warn you that this will happen.

Video games say lots of things that they don't mean.

"Are you sure you want to quit? Unsaved progress will be lost."

<<YES

"Saving progress...."

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
rvy said:
I told them they're shit right now, let's see what happens. I'm not used to bitching at retailers, this is a whole new experience. :lol

Now I'm sure I'll never get my steelbook! :lol
I came back a few pages for this and wasn't disappointed! You sure opened up a can of textual whupass on 'em :lol

Good luck mate. GAME are usuallly cool, I'm sure you'll get it sorted.
Now go play the damn game!

iconoclast said:
Yeah, DO NOT go back and redo a mission. It will screw over your total progress. When I was still on 2-5, I went and replayed a mission via the mission select menu, and doing so erases your total score, essentially.
That sucks. It would be much more motivating if you could improve your scores on a per mission basis.

For the love of all that is holy, someone tell me how to do the
Burns
fight on God Hard. On the rare occasion when I'm lucky enough to kill all seven guards he has (some of which can just instantly headshot you) and get him down to quarter health, he goes completely mental and starts dashing around and doing melee moves constantly.

I think I've just spent the last 4 hours trying to do it.

54-46!

Whoa, that scene in the last part of act 3 :lol
a fancy dance party and a bunch of crap falling from the ceiling wich morphs in to a robot
, good stuff :D

Does the game have more of this? that scene had so much personality.

Actually even though Vanquish is a truly exceptional game, I actually hope that we don't see a sequel to it. Why? Because Platinum Games are IMO the best in the business at creating *new* gameplay mechanics and original content, and I'd be more hyped to see what they come up with next, as opposed to creating a sequel for an existing title.

This generation is pretty much the generation of sequels. Publishers play it safe and stick to existing IP that they know will sell as opposed to backing innovative games that offer something new. PG I feel are an exception to this rule, and although their games may sometimes borrow elements from other genres, the innovation they put into their titles makes them stand out all the more.

That said, if Vanquish were to offer DLC, such as new challenges / missions / weapons / badguys, I'd be all over that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
TheGoldenGunman said:
Actually even though Vanquish is a truly exceptional game, I actually hope that we don't see a sequel to it. Why? Because Platinum Games are IMO the best in the business at creating *new* gameplay mechanics and original content, and I'd be more hyped to see what they come up with next, as opposed to creating a sequel for an existing title.

This generation is pretty much the generation of sequels. Publishers play it safe and stick to existing IP that they know will sell as opposed to backing innovative games that offer something new. PG I feel are an exception to this rule, and although their games may sometimes borrow elements from other genres, the innovation they put into their titles makes them stand out all the more.

That said, if Vanquish were to offer DLC, such as new challenges / missions / weapons / badguys, I'd be all over that.
Very true. The concept lends itself better to 'upgrades' such as the DLC options you listed rather than a fully-fledged sequel with a new story, new Sam, new suit, etc.

Even if PG could make a fantastic sequel, can you imagine the facepalms on top of those we already have? This time, North Korea invades America... Heeeere we go again!

rvy

Banned
Hi Rui,

Thank you for your email.

Once again we apologise for the inconvenience and disappointment you must be dealing with. I can confirm that in due course customers ffected will have the correct edition shipped to them and Game will be in contact regarding returns of the original shipment.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Thomas K

The Team at GAME

Hi Rui,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that we now have stock and therefore we have requested the steelbook edition replacement to be sent to you.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.

Regards,

Thomas K

The Team at GAME

Seems like they're indeed getting it right. Not so bad after all, they could have been assholes about it, but they weren't.

Relaxed Muscle said:
"The challenge is that it's a new franchise and that it's releasing head-to-head with a lot of established franchises in the busiest time of the year."

At least they recognized they fucked up the release date.Next step is recognize they didn't put enough dollars in marketing...
I'm not even sure if Sega has a marketing department.

It looks like Amazon slashed the price of the game by $10 after its members started posting links to that $20 Kmart deal on customer discussion pages. It's $48 for PS3 & $46 for the 360 version now, go go go!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just ordered the PS3 version from Amazon. Got it for $8.30 after $40 in credit.

Now, I have a slight problem. I have Bayonetta coming in the mail as well (X360). What do I play first? A nice problem to have methinks.

Top Bottom