• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

miladesn said:

Every word he says in that blurb is exactly what I got from the story and cinematics in Vanquish. They nailed exactly what they wanted to achieve with no concessions. It would have been easy to take a safer road or go half way but they didn't and I have to give them lots of credit for it.

As far as sales go, it seems to be sold out in the few places I've been since it was released so hopefully it is doing well in North America.

3mRbc.jpg

only six people have beat challenge 6 :lol

Linkzg said:
3mRbc.jpg

only six people have beat challenge 6 :lol
It's like the NG Sigma 2 Team Missions all over again. :lol
I only did the first challenge so far and while I feel pretty good about my position in the Top 100 (from only 1400 people or something :lol ) I can already see how frustrating the next missions will become.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thunder Monkey said:
Watched some vids of people doing crazy shit in this game and went back to the demo.

I definitely like it a lot more now, but I still don't think it's for me. How varied are the levels is it five or six hours of the same thing, or does it throw you some curveballs?
It's a very consistent theme, but they get some really, really impressive milage out of it.

If there's any game where I feel like taking the time to familiarise yourself with the intricacies will pay off, it's this one. And in the end it will only really take on hour or so of play, as opposed to the five hours or so it took me with (the great) Persona 3.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That is pretty epic fail, dude. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
whoa, so when did this thread become 2007? 'epic fail'?

I didn't like the game. So what? I played the thing to death, at the very least. I tried really hard to like it, but I couldn't. Orbital Frame designs were wicked, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Rez said:
whoa, so when did this thread become 2007? 'epic fail'?

I didn't realize the geek community was so trend-conscious.

Are there any gameplay videos of people playing outside the "norm"? I've finished the game and made use of the mechanics but I want to see if there is anything deeper or more complicated than the way I played it. I did a Youtube search but didn't see anything special.

epmode said:
So I wound up loving this game. But I've gotta say that it took a lot for me to buy this shit at full price knowing full well that a few honest-to-god weapons are forever locked away from me because I didn't preorder. It's insane.

This isn't horse armor, it's a goddamned unique weapon in a game ABOUT weapons. It's a vindictive policy and Sega should get hit by a truck because of it.

Well, do we know that they won't offer it as DLC later?

Animator

As far as the dlc weapons go you guys are not missing much. Anti armor pistol is useless and no fun to use. The heavy assault one runs out of ammo way too fast while not having any noticeable advantage over the regular heavy rifle and the lazer while looking cool as fuck eats through your AR boost meter and is simply impossible to use if you are going for the time completion bonus.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Animator said:
The heavy assault one runs out of ammo way too fast while not having any noticeable advantage over the regular heavy rifle

If you don't see any noticeable advantage of the Boost Machine Gun, you're using it against the wrong enemies. It tears bosses to shreads. Use it the next time you're up against a KNRB-0.

Animator said:
As far as the dlc weapons go you guys are not missing much. Anti armor pistol is useless and no fun to use. The heavy assault one runs out of ammo way too fast while not having any noticeable advantage over the regular heavy rifle and the lazer while looking cool as fuck eats through your AR boost meter and is simply impossible to use if you are going for the time completion bonus.
It's still stupid considering that you can only use 7/10 guns if you didn't pre-order. It's like in Mass Effect 2 how there weren't many different armours and weapons, but with all the pre-order crap you could double the number basically.

wagawkljgnklawmglka;g,l;avnk

EF"v,lem;
lgl'vk[
waekg;
a

5-3 GOD HARD

ONE BOGEY DOWN

CHECKPOINT

RELEASE THOSE MOTHERFUCKING LIMITERS HOLY FUCK YES

Warm Machine said:
Are there any gameplay videos of people playing outside the "norm"? I've finished the game and made use of the mechanics but I want to see if there is anything deeper or more complicated than the way I played it. I did a Youtube search but didn't see anything special.

So far the only impressive vids are from the JPN demos.
On YouTube a JPN player beat the challenge mode demo in 2 minutes

epmode

darkpaladinmfc said:
It's still stupid considering that you can only use 7/10 guns if you didn't pre-order. It's like in Mass Effect 2 how there weren't many different armours and weapons, but with all the pre-order crap you could double the number basically.
Mind boggling. I feel like an idiot for buying the game now.

The worst part is how the weapons are sitting on the stupid HDD but I can't use them because I don't have a ~100 KB unlock file.

thetrin

DrBo42 said:
That's kinda how I play. I'm trying so hard to move away from it and be more stylish. :lol

I'd like to think you're not this BAD, though. He's playing on casual.

I fucking did it. God Hard cleared. I cried tears of joy when I beat that fucking bogey and I'm not even kidding.

My final stats:

Score: 404590
Time: 4:33:02
Cover: 17.11%
Distance traveled: 29974
Bullets fired: 29657
Death: 0
Friendly KIA: 585
Friendlies assisted: 13
Kills: 1277
Statues: 6
Developers killed: 78

2nd or 3rd in the world to clear God Hard? Not sure, another guy cleared it at almost the same time. Also I haven't seen the PS3 boards, I only have the 360 version.

bubnbob

Banned
Empty said:
no deaths on god hard. holy fuck. i bow to your amazing skills.

Nah... you can "cheat" by going to the Title Screen when you die.

Just a little tip for you high scorers / achievement hunteres

I was backing out to the title screen when I died. That will probably be a controversial decision on my part but I don't give a fuck. People did the same thing in Bayonetta for Pure Platinums and no one bitched about it. So whatev.

I probably spent 15-20 hours on the final boss alone getting raped over and over.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
bubnbob said:
Nah... you can "cheat" by going to the Title Screen when you die.

Just a little tip for you high scorers / achievement hunteres

Oh so it still counts deaths when you just hit "restart" in the pause menu?

JoeFenix

Congrats Iconoclast, I'm coming for your score! :D

Up to the start of 4-1 with 320 000 points, 3-7 was fun times, I have the top spot on all of act 3 right now!

Quick question, did you use the mission menu at all during your run? Did you restart past missions to get a better score or you just kept going?

I've just been going for fear of not appearing on the overall clear board but I swear I saw some of your earlier mission scores go up while you were still doing your run...

There's one guy on the PS3 version who has cleared God Hard last I checked. He had something like -380,000 score, which I think is what mine's going to around when I'm done :lol I'm just going through it though, not retrying stuff for a higher score and all that.

JoeFenix said:
Congrats Iconoclast, I'm coming for your score! :D

Up to the start of 4-1 with 320 000 points, 3-7 was fun times, I have the top spot on all of act 3 right now!

Quick question, did you use the mission menu at all during your run? Did you restart past missions to get a better score or you just kept going?

I've just been going for fear of not appearing on the overall clear board but I swear I saw some of your earlier mission scores go up while you were still doing your run...

Yeah, DO NOT go back and redo a mission. It will screw over your total progress. When I was still on 2-5, I went and replayed a mission via the mission select menu, and doing so erases your total score, essentially. So I restarted my run from the beginning and improved some of my scores along the way, which explains how my stats were going up.

But yeah, brace yourself for the final boss...

JoeFenix

iconoclast said:
Yeah, DO NOT go back and redo a mission. It will screw over your total progress. When I was still on 2-5, I went and replayed a mission via the mission select menu, and doing so erases your total score, essentially. So I restarted my run from the beginning and improved some of my scores along the way, which explains how my stats were going up.

Cool, thanks!

I'm doing a couple areas a day, here and there between doing some work, I hope to be done by this weekend... we'll see. I think we're the only ones doing a clean run of this anyway haha!

hamchan

iconoclast said:
I fucking did it. God Hard cleared. I cried tears of joy when I beat that fucking bogey and I'm not even kidding.

My final stats:

2nd or 3rd in the world to clear God Hard? Not sure, another guy cleared it at almost the same time. Also I haven't seen the PS3 boards, I only have the 360 version.
This deserves a congratulations. Impressive stuff.

iconoclast said:

Which version of the game do you have?

george_us

leng jai said:
I hope Vanquish doesn't make every other FPS feel underwhelming from here on in...though I fear it may already be too late.
Gears feels so damn slow in comparison. Plus I never realized how much enemies are damage sponges too.:lol

iconoclast said:

My final stats:

You are my fucking god man.

Congratulations.

Now let's get that money on mission 6 and Platinum this bitch like Mikami meant us to!

Which version of the game do you have?

adversesolutions said:
You are my fucking god man.

Congratulations.

Now let's get that money on mission 6 and Platinum this bitch like Mikami meant us to!

Thanks. I need a break for today, I've barely even touched the challenges. My head needs to recover before I smash it through another concrete wall (figuratively speaking of course).

Top Bottom