• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Yurt said:
Why not make the pre-order weapons available for everyone after you complete the game on hard or whatever ?
Yeah. The whole deal is pretty retarded. They honestly don't add much to the game, but everyone should have access to those weapons.

ZealousD said:
vanq_full.png

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/56823.htm#

This is the same guy who did the Bayonetta-Shmup sprite art too.

So awesome.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
There some skirmishes on God Mode that are not well balanced at all.

The only section of God Hard that I would say is poorly designed is the hill on 2-5. Infinite respawns until you pass an invisible line, enemies spawning out of thin air once you pass an invisible line, etc. It's like I'm really playing Call of Duty!

iconoclast said:
The only section of God Hard that I would say is poorly designed is the hill on 2-5. Infinite respawns until you pass an invisible line, enemies spawning out of thin air once you pass an invisible line, etc. It's like I'm really playing Call of Duty!

Ugh, really?

Fimbulvetr said:
Ugh, really?

Seemed like it to me. If you stay at the start of the area with the two weapon crates, light transports will just keep coming and delivering 4 more gorgies. Happened about 5 times before I said fuck it and moved forward. They'll keep delivering more enemies as well until you move toward the door, IIRC.

Animator

Holy shit the disc gun decapitates romanovs in one shot, also can cut off their limbs in one shot. I just realized this in my 6th playthrough. :lol

LiK

finished on Normal. great game, lots of awesome moments. will play Hard soon.

man, this game's story and characters is a great parody of games like MGS, Halo and Gears, imo.

This game makes me feel so giddy. The action is insane and the presentation is pure cheddar. I wish I hadn't read about how short it is, I'm terrified of it ending.

LiK

revolverjgw said:
This game makes me feel so giddy. The action is insane and the presentation is pure cheddar. I wish I hadn't read about how short it is, I'm terrified of it ending.

it didn't seem that short to me. kinda overblown.

mrpeabody

I'm on 5-3 and I have no idea what this QTE wants me to do. It's a circle with four directional arrows flashing around it; do I just joggle the left stick all over the place? I've died on it half a dozen times, grr so frustrating!!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mrpeabody said:
I'm on 5-3 and I have no idea what this QTE wants me to do. It's a circle with four directional arrows flashing around it; do I just joggle the left stick all over the place? I've died on it half a dozen times, grr so frustrating!!
rotate either clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on the direction the arrows face.

mrpeabody

Rez said:
rotate either clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on the direction the arrows face.
The "rotate" one has a picture of an analog stick moving in circles. This one just has a blank circle in the center and four arrows pointing outward.

Maybe it means "do nothing and wait for the X button prompt" but it's awfully spastic.

edit: Got it. It means "keep mashing X like a maniac". Checkpoint!

LiK

mrpeabody said:
The "rotate" one has a picture of an analog stick moving in circles. This one just has a blank circle in the center and four arrows pointing outward.

Maybe it means "do nothing and wait for the X button prompt" but it's awfully spastic.

BLANK? never encountered that....

Volcynika

mrpeabody said:

Keep hitting circle?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mrpeabody said:

oh, that one. there should be an arrow that lights up.

it's either left, wait, right, wait, left -- or -- right, w, left, w, right

LiK

Rez said:
oh, that one. there should be an direction that lights up.

it's either left, wait, right, wait, left -- or -- right, w, left, w, right

oh, that part. didn't think that was confusing at all. yea, do what he said.

Veelk

Banned
I feel I'm not playing this game the way it's suppose to be played. I am making use of the bullet time, but I try to stay behind one cover, which I know I'm not suppose to do, but it's the best strategy for me so far. Going into the middle of battle just gives the enemy too much a chance to shoot me. And I hate it when I'm low on health. The slow down is of no benefit at all. If I was going for cover, I'm still going to go for cover even if I hadn't had bullet time, same with shooting an enemy. It doesn't alter my gameplay at all besides making it slower. I am currently on the boss battle between the spider mode and the human mode of the Agnus robot, and what I just mentioned is happening constantly to me. I'm getting the "your doing it wrong" feeling, but I have no clue how to do it right.

Loving the game so far tho. :D

Generic said:
I feel I'm not playing this game the way it's suppose to be played. I am making use of the bullet time, but I try to stay behind one cover, which I know I'm not suppose to do, but it's the best strategy for me so far. Going into the middle of battle just gives the enemy too much a chance to shoot me. And I hate it when I'm low on health. The slow down is of no benefit at all. If I was going for cover, I'm still going to go for cover even if I hadn't had bullet time, same with shooting an enemy. It doesn't alter my gameplay at all besides making it slower. I am currently on the boss battle between the spider mode and the human mode of the Agnus robot, and what I just mentioned is happening constantly to me. I'm getting the "your doing it wrong" feeling, but I have no clue how to do it right.

Loving the game so far tho. :D

I sort of feel the same way, as in I don't feel as if I've gotten into a "groove", I don't have a feel for the way the action should flow yet. I'm constantly conflicted about whether I should stay in cover or just go all out and rocket drop kick everybody in the face. I kind of go around aimlessly from cover to enemy to cover to enemy to enemy to cover like a chicken with its head cut off.

Actually, I'm so full of adrenaline when I'm playing that I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I'm not sliding everywhere and blasting everything. And I'm constantly forgetting to use manual bullet-time when I should.

rvy

Banned
Wouldn't add anything to the game, though. And don't say they should add a suit with new AR modes or something, because that kind of defeats what the entire game is designed around.
I wouldn't want new AR modes, really. New paint jobs would be more than enough.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Generic said:

The trick is getting the rhythm of AR mode down right. If you're not using AR mode as often as possible, then you will find yourself going into cover a lot.

Use evade often, and then use AR mode. Headshot a few robots, and exit AR mode just before it depletes. Reposition yourself in front of new enemies while it's charging back up and then AR into headshots again. Cover is basically meant as a breather, in case you manage to deplete your AR meter or you're low on health.

If you use AR mode as often as possible, you'll naturally stay out of cover more often because you'll always been in a crouching position during a manual trigger. In a crouching position, you won't be able to aim above those walls.

If you still don't feel comfortable after me giving you that advice, the game will naturally push you in that direction. There will be several sections and battles of the game where cover offers you zero protection.

Yay, I just beat Challenge 4 with a rather solid time I think. Then I tried the 5th challenge and it seems a lot more straightforward with a lot of rocket launchers. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Animator said:
Any tips for challenge 4? I cant make it past wave 2. :(
For wave 2 I go to the far left end of the map (next to the green force shield). The romanovs can't hit you there and you get a good shot at the spawn points of both the little spider bots and orange/brown-ish robots (use a well placed grenade for the latter). When you took care of those you can take out the romanovs one by one. I personally used the sniper rifle to behead them first to make them more vulnerable, but it shouldn't be much of a problem anyway since they are not moving very much.

LiK

Btw, the tri weapons pack rawks. LOVE the antiarmor pistol and the laser cannon. Boost machine gun kinda sucks.

Okay, I just did challenge 5 on my second try. Was about as easy as expect.
Challenge 6 on the other hand is hellish. This will take a while to beat :0

So can someone confirm that Vanquish will be $35 at K-Mart starting Sunday? And is it a normal sale, or a coupon deal or what? Clarification would be great. I want to go pick it up early in the week.

LiK

Prime crotch said:
Fucking zavvi, I get home and find a package on my mail and what is in it? A bluray that Zavvi dispatched after Vanquish.
zavvi FINALLY shipped my order. Finally

I'm sure it'll be available as DLC at some point. Still hope there'll be some additional DLC to boot, but this game is wicked fun no matter what.

Veelk

Banned
ZealousD said:
The trick is getting the rhythm of AR mode down right. If you're not using AR mode as often as possible, then you will find yourself going into cover a lot.

Use evade often, and then use AR mode. Headshot a few robots, and exit AR mode just before it depletes. Reposition yourself in front of new enemies while it's charging back up and then AR into headshots again. Cover is basically meant as a breather, in case you manage to deplete your AR meter or you're low on health.

If you use AR mode as often as possible, you'll naturally stay out of cover more often because you'll always been in a crouching position during a manual trigger. In a crouching position, you won't be able to aim above those walls.

If you still don't feel comfortable after me giving you that advice, the game will naturally push you in that direction. There will be several sections and battles of the game where cover offers you zero protection.

I'll be sure to keep this in mind. When is it that your suppose to melee enemies, exactly? Since it depletes your AR totally, it seems like it's only suppose to be a last ditch effort, but it's so fun to use that I want to do it more often.

Melee is good to finish off romanovs or handle considerable damage to mid-bosses. Holding the aim button after doing a melee also allows you to use your remaing AR for slowmo, so there's another opportunity to shoot some robots.
You really have to wait for the right place and time to do a melee, though. Don't force it and just waste your AR, because you may find yourself in a bad position after kicking some robots.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
iconoclast said:
exactly where i was:lol hated it.

But overall i think God Mode's fault is how fast your suit burns, you can barely use it and you're very vulnerable when over heated

rvy

Banned
desu said:
Were you looking for this one?
I love you.

Btw, any tips for Unknown? I get that I'm supposed to stop him from regenerating... rebuilding, whatever, but I don't know how. I run out of shotgun ammo half-way through. Do I chase him down using AR?

Top Bottom